Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

crazkylo posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've tried searching around the internet and haven't come up with too much for answers.

I've just awakened all the crystals and reached the "Point of no return"

But I'm missing a few jobs still, Is there a way to come back after entering the point of no return?

I'm also trying to Do the sidequest to unlock the Vampire Job. All of the creatures you have to fight are a pain, Is there some kind of strategy I'm totally missing? I equip the proper Resist accessory items before the fight, but it hardly seems to matter.

Don't worry, nothing will prevent you from obtaining all the jobs.

For the Vampire stuff: Everything the dragons can do is physical. If you have ways of avoiding physical damage, they can't hurt you. If you're in the actual dungeon, you can just shut off random encounters because seriously, what a drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

crazkylo posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've tried searching around the internet and haven't come up with too much for answers.

But I'm missing a few jobs still, Is there a way to come back after entering the point of no return?

I'm also trying to Do the sidequest to unlock the Vampire Job. All of the creatures you have to fight are a pain, Is there some kind of strategy I'm totally missing? I equip the proper Resist accessory items before the fight, but it hardly seems to matter.
Assuming you're in Chapter 4: Yes, you can still get the last few jobs. You should be missing three right now. The only reason to rush getting Vampire before going to that point is that some of the abilities for the class are harder to get if you don't get them early.

As far as that sidequest goes: a) the moves that lower your resistance overwrite your own resistance, so that doesn't help much, and b) the breath attacks are actually physical, so they can be handled with the Templar's Rampart or the Ninja's Utsusemi to take no damage.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just finished the game. I admit I used the shortcut method but it remains a good loving game even with that.

I am surprised how amazing it turned out to be. The job classes are just asking you to break the game later on. This is like the best turned based rpg I have ever played. Best 'final fantasy' for sure.

They really should have put in some npcs or something to tell you about the shortcut method, I can't imagine having to do the real way ( while I probably will, at least I actually got to beat the game without it dragging on)

Bring on the sequel!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ineffiable posted:

They really should have put in some npcs or something to tell you about the shortcut method, I can't imagine having to do the real way ( while I probably will, at least I actually got to beat the game without it dragging on)

They kind of do: if you do the Vampire Castle subquest and look for new entries in D's Journal afterwards, there's a pretty strong hint in there.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are several points where it strongly hints at how to get the False Ending.

Only the True Ending unlocks New Game+, though, so you should keep going.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay fair enough. I didn't do that since I already had a broken team and the dragons were annoying. I'll try to clear everything for real but it's still a great game.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
For chapter 2's sidequests is it possible to unlock DeRosa's fight without killing the three sisters? Doing a new game plus low level run and want to kill him out of principle but I'd feel kinda bad about killing the others considering the mental illness induced by psychoactive substances thing.

Austere things
Feb 4, 2013
As far as Nemesis Satan goes is there a better way to handle him than to just abuse Utsusemi and Stillness while praying that the healer doesn't get berserked? I've spent the last few hours throwing my team at him and just when I get it going, he always ends up hitting the wrong team member with berserk.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Austere things posted:

As far as Nemesis Satan goes is there a better way to handle him than to just abuse Utsusemi and Stillness while praying that the healer doesn't get berserked? I've spent the last few hours throwing my team at him and just when I get it going, he always ends up hitting the wrong team member with berserk.

The Spiritmaster's Fairy Ward ability protects against Berserk.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

For chapter 2's sidequests is it possible to unlock DeRosa's fight without killing the three sisters? Doing a new game plus low level run and want to kill him out of principle but I'd feel kinda bad about killing the others considering the mental illness induced by psychoactive substances thing.

You have to do at least one other sidequest in Florem for his to appear.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just died three times to the fight against the Venus sisters in chapter 6.

It's only going to get worse from here, isn't it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Just wait until the next chapter.

Just wait.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

alcharagia posted:

I just died three times to the fight against the Venus sisters in chapter 6.

It's only going to get worse from here, isn't it.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just started down the road to the first ending.

Wow Airy, you sure are pretty. :stare:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

crazkylo posted:

The resist skills aren't going to matter since the dragons use a spell that gives you a weakness to the element before the breath attack. The breath is a physical attack so you can get around it by using the Templar's Rampart or the ninja dodge if defaulting isn't enough or you can't dispell or overwrite it.

One of the jobs is past the point so you won't have all of them.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The resist skill thing works both ways - if you use an ability that boosts resistance or negates damage AFTER the debuff hits, it'll cancel it. Between that and physical resistances those fights become manageable.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just got the false ending and I have to wonder: Why was Airy so comically easy? As far as final bosses go it was kind of disappointing. Still pretty cool though.

Now to go hit more things until I get the other ending.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

alcharagia posted:

I just got the false ending and I have to wonder: Why was Airy so comically easy? As far as final bosses go it was kind of disappointing. Still pretty cool though.
Have you read the journal entries for those fights? They imply the answer pretty heavily. You only fought the larva and pupa forms.

TBH I had more trouble with the boss gauntlet in chapter 8, but there are many, many ways to break the game over your knee. How much trouble you have with the final boss depends a lot on how many of them you abuse.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Rangpur posted:

TBH I had more trouble with the boss gauntlet in chapter 8, but there are many, many ways to break the game over your knee. How much trouble you have with the final boss depends a lot on how many of them you abuse.

I'm finishing up the sub-quests in chapter 8.

I just won the battle where you fight Yulyana, the salve-maker, the fire mage, and the summoner. That was the most frustrating load of bullshit ever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hommando posted:

I'm finishing up the sub-quests in chapter 8.

I just won the battle where you fight Yulyana, the salve-maker, the fire mage, and the summoner. That was the most frustrating load of bullshit ever.

Yeah, they have some super-nasty combos. Ready to kick yourself? They're all very vulnerable to sleep, and you can wreck them one at a time.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Yeah, they have some super-nasty combos. Ready to kick yourself? They're all very vulnerable to sleep, and you can wreck them one at a time.

I stacked speed increasing items and abilities on Edea, with thief skills, made Agnes my second fastest with spiritmaster / white mage skills. I also had Ringabel as a performer casting love rush.

Edea would use godspeed strike then Agnes would cast stillness. It took for-goddamn-ever, but it worked.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My god I just mastered Pirate and Swordmaster and Jesus Christ is there anything more broken then Amped Strike & Free Lunch?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

My god I just mastered Pirate and Swordmaster and Jesus Christ is there anything more broken then Amped Strike & Free Lunch?

Without going into too much detail: yes, there are things more broken than that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tell me the class pairings needed for more broken setups. I must turn this ragtag bunch into unstoppable killing machines.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Tell me the class pairings needed for more broken setups. I must turn this ragtag bunch into unstoppable killing machines.

Red Mage + Black Mage has a great one (give everybody BP Recovery, then have someone with Group-Cast All cast Poison, Poison, Poison, and Poisona on the entire party); put Time Magic in the other slot and you have an incredible source of buffs. A less powerful but safer version of that can be done with Performer + Freelancer (My Hero + Mimic x3). Monk + Dark Knight is used for the most BP-efficient source of damage in the game (Natural Talent + equip, use, and unequip the Blood Sword or use Drain Sword from Spell Fencer, then use Rage to hit the damage cap 5 times for 3 BP), or Spell Fencer can add some more versatility (Phantom Weapon and Natural Talent work together just the way you'd expect they would, and it's not uncommon to hit 9999 damage with level 1 black magic. Drain is a good spell to cast with this combo too.). Spiritmaster + Salve-Maker have incredible synergy (Convert BP + Quarter Elixir or Dry Ether gives you plenty of basically free BP, which you should spend on Giant's Draft and various Spiritism buffs). One party member who's a Spiritmaster and another who's a Dark Knight give you a fun one: cast Adaptation on the entire party, then spam Dark Nebula to damage all enemies and heal all allies.

Those all require multiple mastered jobs, though. Earlier on, Monk + Spell Fencer (or Monk + Blood Sword) gives you a Drain Sword + Phoenix Flight combo that works exactly the way you want it to. Kairai from Ninja combined with a Swordmaster's counterattacks means that enemies can only damage 75% of your party with group-target attacks, and the Red Mage's Turn Tables goes well with Utsusemi; those are all fairly low-level abilities. The Knight's Dual Shields works hilariously with Super Charge (also, I think, the Templar's Desperation), but you'll probably want to have the Time Mage's Hasten World active for that. In fact, Hasten World turns practically everything into a broken combo - but watch out for enemies smart enough to use extra BP when they have it.

Vampires are entirely self-sufficient.

I'm convinced that a party of Monks with Acrobatics, Natural Talent, Rise from Dead, See You In Hell, and Auto-Phoenix, staggering High Jump and Super Jump, works hilariously, but I made the mistake of trying it against a boss that uses a lot of counterattacks.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 15, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excellent, cheers. So I have the Red Mage + Black Mage combo you mentioned to help out the others and I figure i'm not going to grind out the freelancer until there's a better place for it. I don't have this spell yet for the Time Mage but could Meteor be a high damage setup for single targets? It's a four hit spell so if you pump up their magic attack to crazy levels it could be more damaging then most other setups, or is it just impossible to have each meteor hit for 9999?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unfortunately, Meteor can't break 9999 damage on a single target even if it "hits" the same target twice.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Aside from dual wield is there any other way to get more then one hit in an action?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Dark Knight ability Rage.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks. Okay i'm putting away the Pirate & Swordmaster combo for the time being. It's making bosses boring so i'll mess around with different combinations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I keep forgetting that status effects are actually useful in this game. First used them on the stupid rear end Cerberus enemies, but I'll have to try them in the way you guys posted.

I got through the first fight of Chapter 7 with Edea at 200hp (had reraise though). Man, the new fight dynamic really changes the game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Golden Goat posted:

Aside from dual wield is there any other way to get more then one hit in an action?

It's unreliable but early on, Multitask from swordmasters. Around Florem, my party had a character dual-wielding assassin's daggers with multitask. The damage had fallen off but it didn't matter, I'd be looking at like 8-12 chances to instakill most enemies every round.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Golden Goat posted:

Besides what was already mentioned, there's also the classic Ninja with Frenetic Fighting, Hawkeye, and Precision, pretty much guaranteeing they'll be swinging twice each turn for 32 hits and 9999 damage each. There are other setups that boast more damage per BP than that, but that's what I used on two people when I was autopiloting through the latter half of the game.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Holy gently caress the fight against the Black Blades in Chapter 8 :suicide:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Status effects are useful in all of the chapter 8 battles.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I skipped straight to the end of the thread because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so this might have been addressed recently, but: I just got to the start of Chapter 5 and ten million blue exclamation points have appeared everywhere. I visited one of them, and based on that and their locations I think I can guess what they all involve. All but one of the "sidequests" up until now have been really important, but should I care about all these?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I skipped straight to the end of the thread because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so this might have been addressed recently, but: I just got to the start of Chapter 5 and ten million blue exclamation points have appeared everywhere. I visited one of them, and based on that and their locations I think I can guess what they all involve. All but one of the "sidequests" up until now have been really important, but should I care about all these?

If you enjoy the fights. Most of them also have scenes you haven't seen before. Do what you feel is right.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Alright. So I'm not obligated to go hunt down every single one of them to unlock one of the last two classes or something silly like that, then?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Alright. So I'm not obligated to go hunt down every single one of them to unlock one of the last two classes or something silly like that, then?

The second-last job is available any time after the second half of chapter 4. It was at the blue marker that unlocked before the Earth Temple. It's still there and hasn't changed (it would have been better if you had done it earlier, but it doesn't really matter). The last job is not optional, but it's possible to access the False Ending before you reach that point. If you had skipped any jobs before, now you've got another chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure I know exactly what to do to open up the Vampire Castle, but I didn't bother before because the dragons all seemed like they'd be huge pains in the dick to deal with at my power level at the time. Oh well.

Is this False Ending something that I'm likely to run into by accident if I'm not careful? Or is it extremely obvious (or extremely obtuse) and you'd only ever get it on purpose?

• Locked thread