Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Pester posted:

So I started an iron man game for achievements, but I haven't been getting achievements. Do I need to be playing with the very latest version? I was trying to hold off until it's all patched.

Check for if the checkmark next to the iron gauntlet is green or yellow. If it's green, you're all good. If it's yellow, something in your game directories doesn't check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
e. ^^^^^

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Can anyone explain to me why every time I set any child to be educated by someone a few days later it changes to someone else? It's always the same guy it changes to, too.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DannoMack posted:

Can anyone explain to me why every time I set any child to be educated by someone a few days later it changes to someone else? It's always the same guy it changes to, too.

That's a bug since the RoI update.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DannoMack posted:

The only thing I can think of is that they are of your dynasty but not your direct children so the parents of that child are the ones choosing a new guardian, I'm not 100% on that but it's the only explanation I can think of to explain it.. I know children lose their guardian if the title of the guardian changes or the guardian goes under a new liege (or at least is does in my games).

Edit: Or it's just a bug as mentioned above

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

I saw someone posting about the Workshop not working earlier in the thread, but I have lost the post. Anyway, as far as I can see, Workshop works fine as long as mods have updated their files, but the kicker is that mods installed from the workshop do not appear in the launcher list until you have booted the game once. You can enable them ingame via the content menu too.

That was probably me. I just tried subscribing to a bunch of new workshop mods, booted the game up, and restarted a couple of times. The new mods didn't show up in the launcher and all the old ones cause CK2 to crash on startup. The content menu is grayed out too.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I have come to the conclusion that the best combination of culture, religion and title is the Mongol Zoroastrian Roman Empire.

Mongols and Aztecs are in the horde culture group, so the requirement for tribal invasions is "not christian" rather than "is pagan".
I think Mongols are better than Aztecs because they get Horse archers for their cultural retinue.
Zoroastrians satisfy the religion requirement to allow tribal invasions, and can stack up vassal opinion bonuses with 10 or 25 from a divine marriage, and 10 from Saoshyant descendant.
The Roman Empire allows free duchy revokation from imperial administration; Born in the purple gives a +10 opinion bonus, and Augustus gives another +15.
Stack this all up and you have some pretty powerful bonuses. +60 opinion before you even get to eugenics and education.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you can swing it, you should also play as a member of the Seljuk or Timurid dynasties. As I found out over the weekend with a custom game, they get a special Manifest Destiny CB. It gives the Invasion CB on anyone in the Persia, Byzantium, or Arabia Empires, as long as they own at least 3 counties. No Piety requirements, you only need a border or a province in the target kingdom.

The Seljuk one only lasts until 1200, but the Timurid one is good forever.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How the heck do you designate someone as your heir as an Indian ruler?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

I have come to the conclusion that the best combination of culture, religion and title is the Mongol Zoroastrian Roman Empire.

Mongols and Aztecs are in the horde culture group, so the requirement for tribal invasions is "not christian" rather than "is pagan".
I think Mongols are better than Aztecs because they get Horse archers for their cultural retinue.
Zoroastrians satisfy the religion requirement to allow tribal invasions, and can stack up vassal opinion bonuses with 10 or 25 from a divine marriage, and 10 from Saoshyant descendant.
The Roman Empire allows free duchy revokation from imperial administration; Born in the purple gives a +10 opinion bonus, and Augustus gives another +15.
Stack this all up and you have some pretty powerful bonuses. +60 opinion before you even get to eugenics and education.

Well I know what I'm going to attempt on my next game.

But don't you have to be Catholic/Orthodox to restore the Roman Empire? Wouldn't that mean you'd have to restore Zoroastrian and then swap over to a Christian religion?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Gorelab posted:

How the heck do you designate someone as your heir as an Indian ruler?

When you look at their character page, the blood dot that normally is above the portrait is replaced with the designate button. You can only designate from among your own children.

Edit: and you also have to designate according to gender laws. So if you're using Ag-cog, you can't designate your daughter if you have a living son, ect.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You also have to be a Buddhist or a Jain I believe.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mantis42 posted:

You also have to be a Buddhist or a Jain I believe.

Yeah I converted to Hinduism and learned that the hard way. I freaked out and started imprisoning and killing my kids to leave only the heir I wanted.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
What are the various penalties of hoarding every title for yourself? Is it just the tax loss from not having vassals and the chance of them getting distributed among your children if you die?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Esroc posted:

What are the various penalties of hoarding every title for yourself? Is it just the tax loss from not having vassals and the chance of them getting distributed among your children if you die?

The recent patch added a very heavy penalty to how many levies you can raise. North Korea mode doesn't work anymore.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Cantorsdust posted:

The recent patch added a very heavy penalty to how many levies you can raise. North Korea mode doesn't work anymore.

Can I at least keep the County titles so I have control over building construction without a giant penalty? That's what I'm really concerned about. My County Vassals won't build poo poo even though I have the gold for it.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Cantorsdust posted:

I thought North Korea relied on heavy retinue/merc use? Consolidating your armies from every province must be a pain. What are the applied penalties anyways? I know you got up to -90% income/levies(?) pre-fix.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Discover a really weird bug: playing as Norse, invaded Sicily with the intent of eventually converting to Islam. To that end, captured a girl with the Sayyid trait. Decided to raise her and marry her off to one of my sons, then have her convert him Islam. But she keeps warping off to the dungeons of her liege after a few years without any notification! How can I console her back into my domain? I've got a narrative to save!

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Smiling Knight posted:

Discover a really weird bug: playing as Norse, invaded Sicily with the intent of eventually converting to Islam. To that end, captured a girl with the Sayyid trait. Decided to raise her and marry her off to one of my sons, then have her convert him Islam. But she keeps warping off to the dungeons of her liege after a few years without any notification! How can I console her back into my domain? I've got a narrative to save!

"charinfo all" to get the character ID number, then "move [character ID]" to move them to your court.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Soooo...Rajas of India. How are them Decadence changes working out? If at all

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

Can I at least keep the County titles so I have control over building construction without a giant penalty? That's what I'm really concerned about. My County Vassals won't build poo poo even though I have the gold for it.

They don't use your gold. They use THEIR gold. If you want them to build stuff, gift them some money. You don't get to pick what they build, nor is there any guarantee they'll even use it to build something, but it's the most you can really do.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Esroc posted:

County vassals will build things if they have money for it. If you want, you can stimulate some spending by sending them cash gifts.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've seen the Muslims conquer Iberia 2 out of 2 times.

Nuff said

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Edison was a dick posted:

Why not Mongol Jain Roman Empire? Isn't that like +30 with vassals or something?

If they qualify for tribal invasions, jesus. That'd be ridiculous.

edit: Yup, looks like that would work.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Anou
May 29, 2006
Hello there!
Is anyone having problems with none landed rulers and not being able to declare war on them for their vassals? I've had this happen twice so far, once was for the Amalfi Republic and once I took the capital he just became a landless Duke / Doge and I couldn't declare war on him for his vassals, but when he died the title vanished so that was ok. But now I've had this happen with the Pope where I declared war on him and took Rome then he became a landless Pope which is normal but I can't declare war on the minor bishops he has as vassals in the county of Rome. How long does it normally take for the Pope to be given a new bishopric?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Why not Mongol Jain Roman Empire? Isn't that like +30 with vassals or something?

But then you can't marry your genius, strong, attractive sister.

Basically, it's sixes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

If anything they worked too well. Muslim nations are at no real risk of falling apart honestly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

pwnyXpress posted:

But then you can't marry your genius, strong, attractive sister.

Basically, it's sixes.
Sixes? I don't understand.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RagnarokAngel posted:

If anything they worked too well. Muslim nations are at no real risk of falling apart honestly.

Neither were my meticulously engineered Christian dynasties so I'm just gonna call it good :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Neither were my meticulously engineered Christian dynasties so I'm just gonna call it good :v:

Yes but the Muslims start in a strong position. And it's the AI doing good. I've yet to see the AI form any kind of empire, but I look in the Muslim world and they basically have three superpowers, maybe four. Granted I'm sure its better and more fun for the player, but the Muslim blob is now even more scary to me.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Eimi posted:

Yes but the Muslims start in a strong position. And it's the AI doing good. I've yet to see the AI form any kind of empire, but I look in the Muslim world and they basically have three superpowers, maybe four. Granted I'm sure its better and more fun for the player, but the Muslim blob is now even more scary to me.

In the Oman game I'm playing right now, the Abasids own everything from Mesopotamia to Algeria. So yeah I ditched the whole Ibadi thing p drat quick and took a knee at the first chance.

Now I'm conquering Ethiopia and plotting to destroy them from within. Chaos reigns.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

In the Oman game I'm playing right now, the Abasids own everything from Mesopotamia to Algeria. So yeah I ditched the whole Ibadi thing p drat quick and took a knee at the first chance.

Now I'm conquering Ethiopia and plotting to destroy them from within. Chaos reigns.

Basically the same here. The Hashimids and the Abbasiads have 50-50 split over the Arabian Peninsula and Mesopotamia and are at perpetual peace. Every other major kingdom and empire has pretty much fallen apart. East and West France and Aquitaine split evenly, the Byzantine Empire is locked in constant revolt, and I don't even know where Lotharingia went to. Even the Tengri kingdoms in central Asia are a patchwork mess. Meanwhile, the possessed Emir of Oman (that's me) is ruling in peace and murdering anyone who looks at him cock-eyed.

I'm going independent the first chance I get, but I can't stand against the weight of the Hashimids (and likely the Abbasiads) on my own.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Turkish gfx is sometimes used for mulattoes/quadroons/etc

Also, Niggas in Zena

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It's kind of strange, because it's not clear why the muslim empires are so stable compared to others, given that they mostly operate under the same rules.

I guess Sayyid might have a role in it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

People really hate rebelling against religious heads too.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Well I know what I'm going to attempt on my next game.

But don't you have to be Catholic/Orthodox to restore the Roman Empire? Wouldn't that mean you'd have to restore Zoroastrian and then swap over to a Christian religion?

That's one way to do it. My current plan is to start as the Magyars, conquer enough of the world to be able to re-form Rome, move my capital to constantinople and switch to Orthodox for long enough to re-form the Byzantine and then Roman Empire.
Then go conquer Persia while waiting to die, so all the Zoroastrian counties don't get converted, move my capital with the next ruler, convert, then move my capital back to Constantinople, become Saoshyant and convert my vassals with the aid of the +25 opinion bonus for being the Roman Emperor.
Then leave some territory independent at the eastern border, so the mongols can have some territory to hold for long enough to convert a county, then take it back, move my capital and convert culture from Hungarian to Mongol.

It's a bit of a complicated goal, but you've got to set your own in this game.

Strudel Man posted:

I've been inspecting the game files when planning this, I couldn't find out where the Jain vassal opinion bonus comes from, apart from one of the branches giving a +5 bonus.

If it is the case that there's the +30, then you break even with the opinion bonus with the right branch of Jainism without having to find a priestly dynasty member to marry, have no short reign penalty, can designate your heir, and have the irony of a Jain Empire having access to the most powerful CB.

On the other hand, you basically can't war to get any territory until you do become mongol, and your breeding program has fewer options.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trying out this game after reading a few LPs for it and finally giving it a shot despite wanting to try it for... A while, not sure how long really. Attempting the Ua Briain start, but it doesn't seem to go as well for me as it does in the LPs and such; even when my vassal gives me everything he has and I train troops in my territory and stuff my troops barely outnumber the guy I have the de jure claim on, and I lose the battle when I actually attempt it. Is there something I'm missing or have things changed enough that starting Irish is no longer the way to go? Or is the RNG just really mad at me for some reason? If it matters, I have all the DLC, and everything except Sunset Invasion (don't want to get wrecked by the Aztecs in my first game) is active.

Anyway, two more questions. One, what should I do to get prestige back on my son after I marry him to a lowborn genius (I think this was covered but I can't remember what I actually need to do), and two, what are good things to look for in a wife when I already have an heir? Something to tutor any grandchildren in if the son's wife doesn't have what I want (after of course I do most of the raising myself so I can make the decisions), maybe?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Playing plain old orthodox Byz, I think I screwed up by mending the schism before crusades were enabled. I didn't get any holy orders when the the crusade event fired, would I have gotten them if I had waited until after crusades?
I might have to go try grab one of the last Zoroastrian provinces now before they convert.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I saw a button to create an antipope, so I clicked it and now I get occasional antiking rebellions and the real pope hates me.

What do you actually get out of controlling an antipope, and how do you best use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Gort posted:

I saw a button to create an antipope, so I clicked it and now I get occasional antiking rebellions and the real pope hates me.

What do you actually get out of controlling an antipope, and how do you best use them?

If you're an emperor, declare war on the actual pope to install your antipope as pope. You'll end up with a vassal pope and you can abuse the poo poo out of him by claiming titles left and right since he can't refuse your requests. I think you also get a portion of his income based on your church taxes.

Ed: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Antipope

• Locked thread