Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

Yeah this is something I've heard a lot to. Apparently I was better off being the big fatass when I was in basic rather some twink.

In my last unit I had 2 soldiers in my platoon come back with spiral fractures partway through basic training. We had another 3 in the company who had some other kind of musculoskeletal injury that basically ruined them for life. One guy was walking with a cane. Our CO's brother was a basic training company commander at Benning and said they're seeing a growing number of kids come in who don't know how to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
kids not drinking enough milk these days :bahgawd:
seriously wtf what could be the root cause of that? the destruction of the traditional food pyramid? too many sjw's pussifying today's youth? :911:

i mean holy hell god drat :psyduck:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
It could possibly be that it's all made up

also lmao at people who think they don't have to be competent and do poo poo they don't want to do in the civilian world

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Everyone in the military is a goddamn compulsive liar.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Defleshed posted:

also lmao at people who think they don't have to be competent and do poo poo they don't want to do in the civilian world

i'll have you know you're attempting to discredit an Army Officer and College Graduate who is Currently in Afghanistan(probably hasn't mentioned this tidbit yet)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

genderstomper58 posted:

i'll have you know you're attempting to discredit an Army Officer and College Graduate who is Currently in Afghanistan(probably hasn't mentioned this tidbit yet)

Anyone still have a link to Psydudes humble brag about managing 25+ people/being a IT manager in the real world?

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

Well I expected that. Of the 20+ people staying back, I am supposed to lose about 2/3 of that to ETS or chapter so I'll have about 8-10 people at the most to be responsible for. Unless more people come to the unit.

Can you elaborate a little more?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mike-o posted:

kids not drinking enough milk these days :bahgawd:
seriously wtf what could be the root cause of that? the destruction of the traditional food pyramid? too many sjw's pussifying today's youth? :911:

i mean holy hell god drat :psyduck:

Michelle O and her milk-free 300 calorie school lunches

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Defleshed posted:

i want to believe it's true so i can blame trannies and michelle obama

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
milk probably gives you cancer or something

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was about 300 pounds from sixth grade until about a year before joining at age 24 (I am a goddamned retard). I thought I had a hip fracture, but when I got my x-ray they said my hip bones were some dense motherfuckers, and to stop whining because I pulled a muscle, and to get back to work.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
how does it feel to be a fat disgusting pig?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how does it feel to be a fat disgusting pig?

Well, I lost around about 100 pounds before joining, and I've kept steady since. So...pretty loving bad, actually. Good calf strength, though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I got stress fractures by the end of OSUT. Doctor said it was unavoidable due to be completely loving flat footed and wearing incorrect running shoes.
Also told me I had 14 stress fractures in my shin bone and that he would have to recycle me two weeks before graduation. gently caress that. Sucked it up and finished...but it sucked.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Geirskogul posted:

Well, I lost around about 100 pounds before joining, and I've kept steady since. So...pretty loving bad, actually. Good calf strength, though.

I had a lot of the same thing going for me. Lost 65 pounds to get in and the whole way through basic I never got a shin splint or had any problems like that. Turns out when you drop weight like that your skeleton has been reinforced over the years of being a fatass and it's not as big a shock as it is to many others.

Of course the following four years years still managed to separate ligaments in my foot, fracture an ankle and crack vertebrae/compress discs in my back so I got mine in the end.

vvv No way they totally spent a ton of money on finding out how to make PT the bestest most safester way to exercise. Turns out those olympic athlete trainers and people with doctorates in body mechanics suggested more running and reflective belts.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 15, 2014

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

I like how the blame is on the recruits, when the Army doesn't know poo poo about to properly conduct physical training.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Apparently the new change to the PT test that's noticeable is the fact that the weigh in and tape is now done a week apart. Allegedly, people were starving themselves and failing the PT test so that they could make tape.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

cool, so now they can pass the PT test and still starve themselves for a week to make tape. :thumbsup:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Carteret posted:

cool, so now they can pass the PT test and still starve themselves for a week to make tape. :thumbsup:

That's the thinking I'm sure.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Soulex posted:

Apparently the new change to the PT test that's noticeable is the fact that the weigh in and tape is now done a week apart. Allegedly, people were starving themselves and failing the PT test so that they could make tape.

I've always been taped, and the tape test is dumb so I've never been remotely close to failing, but after a record best of sit ups I had an extra inch and a half around my waist.

And considering it's really an appearance standard and nothing else might as well have it a week later.

loving tape test. Apparently I can have something like a 44 inch waist because between my big shoulders and giant rear end head I've got a 19.5 inch neck. I could be 250 pounds at 6 feet and still pass easily. What a joke.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

psydude posted:

In my last unit I had 2 soldiers in my platoon come back with spiral fractures partway through basic training. We had another 3 in the company who had some other kind of musculoskeletal injury that basically ruined them for life. One guy was walking with a cane. Our CO's brother was a basic training company commander at Benning and said they're seeing a growing number of kids come in who don't know how to run.

I'm at Benning and we share a TMC with the basic training dudes. There's a lot of dudes coming out on crutches. The real skinny, nerdy looking motherfuckers that look like they were stuck to that Xbox for 20 hours a day before joining up, mostly.

In saying that though, since our squadron decided that 90 minutes for PT is awesome, and that running every day leads to constant officer boners, I see a lot of dudes on crutches as well.

I think it's just army retardedness loving everybody up, not just the scrubs in basic.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

not caring here posted:

I've always been taped, and the tape test is dumb so I've never been remotely close to failing, but after a record best of sit ups I had an extra inch and a half around my waist.

And considering it's really an appearance standard and nothing else might as well have it a week later.

loving tape test. Apparently I can have something like a 44 inch waist because between my big shoulders and giant rear end head I've got a 19.5 inch neck. I could be 250 pounds at 6 feet and still pass easily. What a joke.

Yeah, BMI is pretty stupid. "The ideal soldier looks like this!" Yeah? well gently caress you. It's like the people that get mad if you pass a PT Test with 60 in each event. I actually had this conversation with my old 1SG. Luckily my squad leader backed me up.
:argh:"Soulex, you failed the company standards for a PT test. The standard is 260, you scored 232."
:smug: "That's why they call it the minimum passing grade top"

Then he tried to flag me.

I may be king human being of GiP because I didn't get it before, but now I do. You guys are loving eye openers. Bottling all the bullshit up and just passing it off as "another day." I've never had to do anything remotely what I've done in the Army as a civilian.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
To be fair kids spend most of their days playing xbox and on Facebook so it wouldn't surprise me if they actually didn't know how to run.

But finding out how to run four days a week five miles at a time on concrete is pretty loving stupid.

I got yelled at during ruck marches a lot because I would always walk just off the road in the grass and dirt because I thought it would be better than loving my knees up. "GET ON THE loving ROAD. THIS IS A ROAD MARCH!!!"

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Soulex posted:

Yeah, BMI is pretty stupid. "The ideal soldier looks like this!" Yeah? well gently caress you. It's like the people that get mad if you pass a PT Test with 60 in each event. I actually had this conversation with my old 1SG. Luckily my squad leader backed me up.
:argh:"Soulex, you failed the company standards for a PT test. The standard is 260, you scored 232."

I may be king human being of GiP because I didn't get it before, but now I do. You guys are loving eye openers. Bottling all the bullshit up and just passing it off as "another day." I've never had to do anything remotely what I've done in the Army as a civilian.

Congratulations! You're not King human being anymore because it took a bunch of strangers on the internet telling stories to get you to realize having an old man slide his fingers around your fat pig waist while 2 ncos looked on and got boners while writing down your measurements was gay.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Jesus, I'm down the TMC right now for an appointment and there's a dude down here who's so hosed up morphine has absolutely no effect. He's on fentanyl patches and injections and they barely have any effect. In a month he's lost 20 pounds and I think he was maybe 130 last time I saw him. He's basically bones in ACUs right now.

gently caress.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

anne frank fanfic posted:

Congratulations! You're not King human being anymore because it took a bunch of strangers on the internet telling stories to get you to realize having an old man slide his fingers around your fat pig waist while 2 ncos looked on and got boners while writing down your measurements was gay.

for some reason i'm imagining that story involves a fat man being raped (while being weighed and taped) and Burt Reynolds shooting rednecks with a bow in an awesome vest

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

not caring here posted:

Jesus, I'm down the TMC right now for an appointment and there's a dude down here who's so hosed up morphine has absolutely no effect. He's on fentanyl patches and injections and they barely have any effect. In a month he's lost 20 pounds and I think he was maybe 130 last time I saw him. He's basically bones in ACUs right now.

gently caress.

Tell him to drink water and take 800mg Tylenol and RTD his shamming rear end.

Oh and don't forget the cough drops.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
Army trivia time:

How does someone manage to commit a cross domain violation and trigger a SHARP complaint with one action?

I know this is possible because a soldier in my unit just managed to do it. Take your best guesses.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I admittedly pay almost zero attention to the army times but today it hit a new tabloid high for me.

Soldiers to Army: Add pull ups to PT test

NO SOLDIER HAS EVER SAID THIS

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's the crossfit lobby trying to feel special.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Actually would the smaj of the army fall under that survey?

If so then I believe it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

anne frank fanfic posted:

Tape never bothered me. It's the urinalysis.

"do you have to stare?"
"Yes"

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
if you're uncomfortable looking at dicks or having other dudes look at your dick then you don't belong in the army

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Soulex posted:

And then the whole company stood up and clapped.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

gleep gloop posted:

And then the whole company stood up and clapped.

and gave him 100$.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Much more like i got a counseling statement for being a smartass and disrespecting ncos.

The loving dude had a goddamn spin cycle in his office if that tells you about his motoboner for pt

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Spin class is dumb as hell. Go ride a real bike ffs.

brains
May 12, 2004

psydude posted:

It's the crossfit lobby trying to feel special.

i think the duffleblog article making the rounds about banning crossfit even while off duty has generated some of the finest tears to date, they really outdid themselves lol

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
the army pt program is dumb but if you even work out 3 times a week (actually work out, not army pt) you should be able to pass your pt test with at least 250 and make weight/tape easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
lol remember the dude who said passing the APFT was his personal Normandy?

• Locked thread