Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This will be properly optimised for tablets surely?

And any chance of android release, do you think, seeing as the final fantasy games all hit android after they were out on iOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Terpfen posted:

Who wants to hold an iPhone for 100 hours? I don't understand why someone with sufficient decision making authority thought DQ8 on a mobile device would be a good experience.

DQ8 should have gotten an HD remake on a console.

That's true and it's frustrating. I purchased my 3DS & PS Vita specifically to play games on the go. My iPhone is for calling, texting, web surfing, GPSing ect., not playing loving Dragon Quest. Yeesh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The only reason you should play a game on a phone is if you're in a situation where having a table simply isn't an option. And even then you should just buy a 3DS(or 2DS) and play games on that. Especially a game that is a remake/port of something that wouldn't be played fine almost entirely with a mouse (FTL, Xcom..etc).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I played FF5 on my iPad. It was a bad experience, a bad version of the game, and a bad form factor.

e: the only good thing about it was auto battle.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I have a 3DS and wish I could play DQ7 or DQ8 on it, but because I am not Japan person I may well never be able to do that.

I bought a PS2 just to play DQ8 and still have it (DQ8) sitting on my shelf, so maybe emulation is actually an option to finally check this classic off my list. I've read that it can actually be better to play DQ8 emulated on PC than on the PS2 itself..?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

BadAstronaut posted:

I bought a PS2 just to play DQ8 and still have it (DQ8) sitting on my shelf, so maybe emulation is actually an option to finally check this classic off my list. I've read that it can actually be better to play DQ8 emulated on PC than on the PS2 itself..?

Yes. With the proper graphics settings, it's about as close as we'll get to a true HD version.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Terpfen posted:

Who wants to hold an iPhone for 100 hours? I don't understand why someone with sufficient decision making authority thought DQ8 on a mobile device would be a good experience.

Well I really doubt an iPhone can fully handle the overworld in 8, so whatever stripped down one they come up with will probably cut the travel time down.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Yes. With the proper graphics settings, it's about as close as we'll get to a true HD version.

Guess that is settled then - does it require a very powerful PC to get this going well?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Justin_Brett posted:

Well I really doubt an iPhone can fully handle the overworld in 8, so whatever stripped down one they come up with will probably cut the travel time down.

You're greatly underestimating the iPhone, especially more recent iterations of its hardware. The iPhone can run DQ8 just fine. The problem is that holding a 5 inch touchscreen for 100 hours is not a fun or comfortable way to experience the game.

BadAstronaut posted:

Guess that is settled then - does it require a very powerful PC to get this going well?

"Very" powerful? No, especially not by contemporary standards. But the more hardware you can throw at it, the better. Particularly CPU cycles; PCSX2 loves it some CPU cycles.

Let's put it this way; can you play Battlefield 3 with decent graphical settings? Then you'll be OK with PCSX2.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only reason you should play a game on a phone is if you're in a situation where having a table simply isn't an option. And even then you should just buy a 3DS(or 2DS) and play games on that. Especially a game that is a remake/port of something that wouldn't be played fine almost entirely with a mouse (FTL, Xcom..etc).

And this kind of thinking is the exact reason why Nintendo's hand held market may eventually die, along with other handheld gaming consoles.

I can't wait for DQ to come to my Android phone. I bought some of the Final Fantasy and loved playing them too. I haven't touched my DS in over 2 years and didn't even consider the 3DS due to the initial price. Would I consider picking up a 3DS or Vita now? Probably not.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You know all of those are RPGs you don't need terrific controls for, right?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Justin_Brett posted:

FF6 on iphone controls like dogass. I'm not seeing how a full 3d game will be any better when it's a pain in the rear end to control 2d sprites walking 4 directions on a tiny touchscreen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

For me it isn't a case of needing good controls. It is that it actively feels bad to control. Virtual joysticks are a giant pain in the rear end to use for any long period of time.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

n0manarmy posted:

And this kind of thinking is the exact reason why Nintendo's hand held market may eventually die, along with other handheld gaming consoles.

I can't wait for DQ to come to my Android phone. I bought some of the Final Fantasy and loved playing them too. I haven't touched my DS in over 2 years and didn't even consider the 3DS due to the initial price. Would I consider picking up a 3DS or Vita now? Probably not.

It's true that in the future good handheld games will most likely be a thing of the past and we'll all be playing garbage poo poo that costs a buck and isn't even worth that, but I'm glad that we haven't gotten there yet. Some of the worst 3DS or Vita games still provide more entertainment and higher quality than I could get with $1000 worth of games on the android or ios app stores.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey guys I still like the Dragon Quest games. :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dubious posted:

FF6 on iphone controls like dogass. I'm not seeing how a full 3d game will be any better when it's a pain in the rear end to control 2d sprites walking 4 directions on a tiny touchscreen.

It's because the orthogonal, grid-based movement of a 2D game involves the awkward quantization of continuous inputs, while full 3D movement can use those continuous inputs directly.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Absolutely! Especially since the same was done to FFX/X-2(not that I mind). Course I might be biased because I love certain characters in the game! LOL!

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Not much would make me happier than an HD version of DQ8.

Except an HD version of Final Fantasy 12. :v:

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

a_big_dog posted:

Not much would make me happier than an HD version of DQ8.

Except an HD version of Final Fantasy 12. :v:

An HD version of DQ8 would make me happier than an HD version of FF12, but I want both.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
A DQ8 HD upgrade would be nice, but that game is already beautiful so I'd prefer if they did it for DQ 7 instead. But at this point I'd settle for absolutely anything DQ related that isn't on a loving cell phone.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If we did get a real remake/upgrade of DQ8, I'd hope they would make a couple tweaks, especially to alchemy. Batch alchemy like in DQ9 would be great.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Crimson Harvest posted:

If we did get a real remake/upgrade of DQ8, I'd hope they would make a couple tweaks, especially to alchemy. Batch alchemy like in DQ9 would be great.

They'd most likely put batch alchemy in.

What I'd really hope for is a change to the points system to make it a little more flexible and less utterly final. You can only max out one branch, IIRC, and that's if you devote all your points to it. It kills variety.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Nah you can definitely max out two branches, or at least nearly. The problem is there is no way to tell when the break points for learning skills is except via a guide or trial and error.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Just fix the battle load times and I'll snap it up.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

voltron lion force posted:

Nah you can definitely max out two branches, or at least nearly. The problem is there is no way to tell when the break points for learning skills is except via a guide or trial and error.

Everyone gets 250 points by level 99 assuming no uses of skill seeds. Angelo gets his slower than everyone else, which gives the appearance that he gets less. A lady in Port Prospect tells you how many points you need for the next skill level, but doesn't tell you whether that new skill is actually worth the points to reach it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Adam Bowen posted:

A DQ8 HD upgrade would be nice, but that game is already beautiful so I'd prefer if they did it for DQ 7 instead. But at this point I'd settle for absolutely anything DQ related that isn't on a loving cell phone.

Even then, I'd be happy with Dragon Quests 1-3 compilation on my cell phone as something to play when I'm out and about.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

voltron lion force posted:

Then my memory fails me. But I know for sure I was very frustrated with the point system, its finality, and the lack of indication as to what you were really getting.

Yangus in particular can be very good or very bad depending on which path you take.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
Is this the thread where I ask how the hell to get into playing DQX on PC?

Some stuff:

I speak and read japanese.
I am in America.
I have work contacts in Japan who can help me out with payments etc.
I did not buy a Wii U.
I have a japanese Wii but noticed it got locked out of online mode sometime last year. This made me angry because I'd been using it outside of Japan for years.
I am clueless about VPNs and have never tried to set it up.
I did not want to have to gently caress around with setting it up for a console.
I only just noticed loving TEN minutes ago that there is a PC version.

So hello! I have played every single version of DQ to date. And online RPGs are also my favourite type of games. So I've been wanting to play this one since it came out but I got too angry about having to use proxies etc.

It seems it would be much easier to use a proxy server on PC than Wii. Can anyone help me out?

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

It's true that in the future good handheld games will most likely be a thing of the past and we'll all be playing garbage poo poo that costs a buck and isn't even worth that, but I'm glad that we haven't gotten there yet. Some of the worst 3DS or Vita games still provide more entertainment and higher quality than I could get with $1000 worth of games on the android or ios app stores.

I agree with you here. Majority of the games for the mobile market suck. The difference is the costs to develop. I think its $35 for a developer license from Google for Android as opposed to the costs for developing for mainstream consoles.

It's almost like being in some select buyers club where you have to prove you're not poo poo and can actually produce some kind of product. Now there is a flood of garbage, but this garbage is a fraction of the price. We still call them games so now everyone is asking, why are these games cheaper than those games?

Hopefully this will all work itself out as the markets bleed together and we will reach a happy medium where games are developed in an way that they are enjoyable on the mobile devices by developers that aren't crap and the prices are adequate.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Retro Access posted:

Is this the thread where I ask how the hell to get into playing DQX on PC?

Hey there, there's a good guide on buying/activating and subscribing to the PC version of the game.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?s=a0d03e95e55a5c3e7bba6134cacd8dd2&showtopic=28719

As far as VPN services go. I used the SoftEther VPN Client that one of the Japanese universities was offering but it's pretty spotty with regards to connections and the constant changing of locations from day-to-day mean that your account will get locked a fair bit.

Most people use Overplay VPN (Tokyo 4 server) or IPVanish. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to start the VPN client before logging in with DQX client. You can patch the game client without the VPN on though which saves a lot of time.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Retro Access posted:

It seems it would be much easier to use a proxy server on PC than Wii. Can anyone help me out?

It's really easy, as said above. I played in the PC beta test.

I didn't personally like the game much, but YMMV. Overplay VPN is super easy, you just click a widget and open the DQX client.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So are the Dragon Quest 9 servers already down? I realized my game didnt have all the quests so I tried to connect to download them, but nothing doing. And I can't tell if the server's dead or my router is too advanced for the DS connection...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

So are the Dragon Quest 9 servers already down? I realized my game didnt have all the quests so I tried to connect to download them, but nothing doing. And I can't tell if the server's dead or my router is too advanced for the DS connection...

Being a regular DS game, it can only connect through unsecured or WEP-secured access points, so try that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Being a regular DS game, it can only connect through unsecured or WEP-secured access points, so try that.

Yeah, unless you've programmed your router to be compliant with the DS' older hardware, it probably won't even be able to see your network.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Dragon Quest 8 comes out on iOS tonight. Looks like I'll be playing through this gem again.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=230640

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 28, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fancy Hat! posted:

Yes to the first question.
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

Unmature
May 9, 2008
There's no goddamn way I'm paying 20 bucks for DQ8 on iOS. You can get a complete copy for PS2 on Ebay for that much. And a new one on Amazon for 30.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Apparently the iOS port has MIDI music like the original Japanese release instead of the orchestral music from the American release. And no voice acting. And it's portrait only which is just bizarre to me, though I think it's really common with Japanese mobile games for some reason.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pablo Gigante posted:

portrait only

Hah! gently caress that noise.

I get that in Japan and the US the mobile market is booming like crazy, but I just really really really wish we had gotten the 3DS DQ(M) games instead. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
e: quote=/=edit