Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

jscolon2.0 posted:

So you've never read Birds of Prey, I take it.

But

What happens in Birds of Prey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Drifter posted:

What happens in Birds of Prey?

Oracle, aka Barbara Gordon and formerly Batgirl (till the New 52 changed things about), was disabled from the waist down as a result of DC making canon a Batman one-shot in which she was shot by the Joker. Gail Simone brought the character back to relevance by having it turn out, in order to make herself of use since she obviously couldn't go hopping about rooftops anymore, Barbara had dedicated herself to learning computer technologies inside and out, and as a result, had pretty much become the world's greatest hacker. Regularly through the series she had to deal with opponents who abused her lack of mobility against her (though as she points out, that doesn't render her entirely defenseless), and occasionally the emotional issues - that she's largely gotten past, but still crop up considering her usual kind of company - are commented on.

There was also a sweet moment in a Batgirl/Batman and Robin issue where Dick Grayson (then Batman) got together a special harness to keep Barbara's legs together, so that, with his supervision, she could pull some acrobatics on a trapeze without worrying too much on losing control. Just have some fun and all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Astro Nut posted:

There was also a sweet moment in a Batgirl/Batman and Robin issue where Dick Grayson (then Batman) got together a special harness to keep Barbara's legs together, so that, with his supervision, she could pull some acrobatics on a trapeze without worrying too much on losing control. Just have some fun and all.

Ahaha. I am aware of her history, but thanks for the rundown. She was a master of escrima so she was hardly helpless in a fight without her legs. Any difficulties in that regard was pure plot magic, the same way Batman gets captured.

She probably has some of the better examples of a physically disabled person, over the twenty years of her not being able to walk in comics.

edit: Do you mean this harness :laugh:?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 15, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clayface has a pretty serious skin condition.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hawkeye was deaf for a bit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Deadpool lost an arm and a few legs for a bit.

Wolverine was only a drop of blood for a while. That's gotta put a crimp in your quality of living.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Drifter posted:

Wolverine was only a drop of blood for a while. That's gotta put a crimp in your quality of living.

That's bullshit, How did Wolverine recover from this? It's like comic books can't be centered on reality whatsoever.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ravane posted:

That's bullshit, How did Wolverine recover from this? It's like comic books can't be centered on reality whatsoever.

I forget the specifics but the X-Men were in some sort of space castle with this gem that gave whoever held it cosmic powers or some poo poo. So when the bug baddie tore wolverinein half a drop of blood hit the gem which supercharge his healing power and grew into a whole new body for him, then he used the gem's power to magically re-coat his new bones in adamantium.

Seriously.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ravane posted:

That actually has nothing to do with his mutant healing factor, that's just because he's Canadian.

Socialized medicine, eh?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

WarLocke posted:

I forget the specifics but the X-Men were in some sort of space castle with this gem that gave whoever held it cosmic powers or some poo poo. So when the bug baddie tore wolverinein half a drop of blood hit the gem which supercharge his healing power and grew into a whole new body for him, then he used the gem's power to magically re-coat his new bones in adamantium.

Seriously.

Phylodox posted:

That actually has nothing to do with his mutant healing factor, that's just because he's Canadian.

Socialized medicine, eh?

I don't know what to make of the fact that the latter statement is easier to believe. :sigh:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What does any of this have to do with Arrow?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Whizbang posted:

Because he believes in Social Programs.

Health care would be at the top of his list of things to fix. And somebody has to pay for Oracle's wheelchair.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, Stephen Amell is Canadian, so...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Face it, we're in hiatus mode. Deadpool's finger is hovering over the gas button right now. Save us, Wednesday!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Warmachine posted:

Face it, we're in hiatus mode. Deadpool's finger is hovering over the gas button right now. Save us, Wednesday!

You guys know you don't have to post, right? Instead of making GBS threads up the thread with pointless BSS garbage, you can just not.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Whizbang posted:

You guys know you don't have to post, right? Instead of making GBS threads up the thread with pointless BSS garbage, you can just not.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Whizbang posted:

The thread is in Hiatus mode. The society of our thread has collapsed, giving rise to anarchy and debauchery.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How much loving effort does it take to just skim/skip people's posts that you felt the need to complain twice about it rather than just going about your day? Oh no, people are talking about a thing I don't care about. Now everything's ruined!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Whizbang. You have failed this thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

VDay posted:

How much loving effort does it take to just skim/skip people's posts that you felt the need to complain twice about it rather than just going about your day? Oh no, people are talking about a thing I don't care about. Now everything's ruined!

How much effort does it take to just follow the rules that were laid out by the moderators in the first place? Nobody ever solved a problem by ignoring it and hoping it went away.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

The Lord Bude posted:

How much effort does it take to just follow the rules that were laid out by the moderators in the first place? Nobody ever solved a problem by ignoring it and hoping it went away.

I know I learned two things from this discussion: 1) How Wolverine got his adamantium (and presumably his groove) back, and 2) that you're a backseat moderatin' whiner. :mad:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Deadpool is going to be Malcolm Merlyn and earthquake machine us all.

"YES! THEY DESERVE TO DIE! THE WAY THE THREAD DIED!"

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

I know I learned two things from this discussion: 1) How Wolverine got his adamantium (and presumably his groove) back, and 2) that you're a backseat moderatin' whiner. :mad:

I enjoy the hiatus-driven comics derails. Comics chat in here tends to be a lot more fun than in the BSS threads, to be honest. There it seems like Arrow chat consists of someone mentioning how awesome it is and then someone else huffily replying that they heard it had ABS in it, ugh, how CW. Then people start fighting over which Hulk was worst Hulk. Again. Maybe that's the movie one. I am sure there is a similar recurring kerfuffle in the tv thread.

So, how about Paul Blackthorne's movie? Anybody check it out?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

I don't actually care either way, I just enjoy fomenting chaos and discord. The stew tastes better if you stir the pot every once in a while.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know why it's so difficult to keep comic chat out of this thread. Just don't talk about it guys, it's not hard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Catie with the chin had a movie come out where she plays to her acting skills by being a robot soldier or something. I think it's in love too, and murderous.

So for those of you who like to conflate being able to do a cartwheel and breakdance with acting, check it out. The Machine. Maybe you'll enjoy it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oi, stop pointing out Caity Lotz lack of acting prowess. She's a national treasure. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Oi, stop pointing out Caity Lotz lack of acting prowess. She's a national treasure. :colbert:

You're right. She has all the onscreen charisma and emotive ability as a three hundred year old roll of parchment.

But I saw that Vine where she danced a bit. So there's that, I guess.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drifter posted:

The Catie with the chin had a movie come out where she plays to her acting skills by being a robot soldier or something. I think it's in love too, and murderous.

So for those of you who like to conflate being able to do a cartwheel and breakdance with acting, check it out. The Machine. Maybe you'll enjoy it.

I thought the Other Catie had the chin? Or did you mean the chin that doesn't look like a dorito? In which case it would be just a regular chin, making it 'a chin' and not 'the chin'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She has a distinctive chin which makes her wearing just a domino all the more ridiculous.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I think Quentin said he didn't know who the arrow was for plausible deniability/for Ollie's sake. I mean he knows ollie is dating his daughter and all that and really, he's got to know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin' chin chat. Stop male gazing at women's chins!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Fuckin' chin chat. Stop male gazing at women's chins!

At least chin chat is relevant to the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Eyebrow chat! I think Paul Blackthorne has the best brows!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Doesn't Arrow return tomorrow? We can surely gin up some speculation before then.

As always... Moira and/or Blackthorne ain't making it through this season alive.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
edit:

quote:

Doesn't Arrow return tomorrow? We can surely chin up some speculation before then. :v:

The Lord Bude posted:

I thought the Other Catie had the chin? Or did you mean the chin that doesn't look like a dorito? In which case it would be just a regular chin, making it 'a chin' and not 'the chin'.

No.

One Katie has a head that would get eaten by an unjust world were some super-villain dastard enough to douse her in powdered ranch dressing. Another Caity has a chin like the butt-cheeks of mighty Galactus, firm and bold. She is the herald of coming days.

They are clearly an homage to the Dick Tracy characters, Chins and The Face.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 15, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

I don't know why it's so difficult to keep comic chat out of this thread. Just don't talk about it guys, it's not hard.

Yes it is. When something like Ferris Air or Kord Industries is mentioned are we just supposed to ignore it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Yes it is. When something like Ferris Air or Kord Industries is mentioned are we just supposed to ignore it?

No. But that's obviously not what I was talking about. You're not stupid Rhyno, you know what I meant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

No. But that's obviously not what I was talking about. You're not stupid Rhyno, you know what I meant.

Those types of references lead to talking about where they come from man. This is a COMIC BOOK show. Saying we can't talk about the comics is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Those types of references lead to talking about where they come from man. This is a COMIC BOOK show. Saying we can't talk about the comics is ridiculous.

I've always said if it's something related to the show that's fine. But it often goes well beyond that and that's not fine. If you don't like it then go to BSS. There are people in this thread that don't give a poo poo about the comics. And comic chat just serves to drive them away. Talking about what a Ferris Air reference is, that's fine. Posts about Nightwing and Oracle and Wolverine and other poo poo that has nothing to do with the show is not. And if you can't see the difference in that I'm not sure what to tell you.

Turning a Ferris Air reference into an opportunity to tell the entire history of Hal Jordan is not what you should do either. Just say it's a Green Lantern reference and leave it at that. There's no reason for Parallax to ever be mentioned because of a Ferris Air reference.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 15, 2014

• Locked thread