Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
It would be cool to see a rep from Riviera: The Promised Land which originally came out on GBA. I'm very fond of the game and it has a cute cast of ladies who have a pretty wide range of weapons and attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I wonder if Nintendo could get someone Crono from Chrono Trigger into Smash Bros. I'm not sure how rights to characters work though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tracula posted:

It still blows my mind how good the sprite works is in the 2D FE games. Animation smears go such a long way to making stuff smooth. Moreso than Lyn I'd love to see Hector. There's already plenty of sword fighters, why not an axe brawler?

Because the game came out 11 years ago, they were in one game, and there have been 6 more since then. Including the most recent which was the most popular entry of the series and literally saved it from cancellation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Geno makes a small (visual) cameo in Mario & Luigi so I'm not sure that Square actually owns that character, it may just be that Nintendo doesn't recognize him as important. Same reason why we'll never see Wart as a fighter.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PsychicToaster posted:

I wonder if Nintendo could get someone Crono from Chrono Trigger into Smash Bros. I'm not sure how rights to characters work though.

Crono is owned by Square, which runs us into the problem again that even if Square gave Nintendo the freedom to put in a third-party character, it sure as gently caress won't be Crono.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PsychicToaster posted:

It's like Geno except with even more begging directed at SE. Just because a game was exclusive to a Nintendo system doesn't mean that makes it any easier to see that character in a Nintendo title.

TaurusOxford posted:

Crono is owned by Square, which runs us into the problem again that even if Square gave Nintendo the freedom to put in a third-party character, it sure as gently caress won't be Crono.

You're getting Lightning and you will drat well like it.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Geno makes a small (visual) cameo in Mario & Luigi so I'm not sure that Square actually owns that character

The credits of the very same game say otherwise.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Barudak posted:

You're getting Lightning and you will drat well like it.

"Not to be outdone by Zero Suit Samus, Toriyama has once again made Lightning's breasts bigger so she can compete cup-for-cup with the bounty hunter."

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Geno makes a small (visual) cameo in Mario & Luigi so I'm not sure that Square actually owns that character, it may just be that Nintendo doesn't recognize him as important. Same reason why we'll never see Wart as a fighter.

Nintendo had to get Square's permission and credit Square for that cameo.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E4FfpWWc5Nw#t=273

They even have a special mention in the credits for Geno, he's owned by Square.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Interesting. So Square's been okay with them using him though. I mean a Square partnership isn't IMPLAUSIBLE, though there probably won't be such a collaboration in THIS iteration of Smash. Maybe the next one.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
If Nintendo and Square ever did do an agreement for a character in Smash, it'd be something like Fighter or Red Mage from the original Final Fantasy for the combined "nostalgia" and "generic enough to represent an entire franchise" double kill.

EDIT: Or possibly Erdrick from Dragon Quest, for the same reason except more :japan:

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 15, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Tried my hand at a "dream roster". Top is playable, bottom is Assists.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Interesting. So Square's been okay with them using him though. I mean a Square partnership isn't IMPLAUSIBLE, though there probably won't be such a collaboration in THIS iteration of Smash. Maybe the next one.

Like I said earlier, I highly doubt Nintendo would use a 3rd party deal to get yet another Mario character into Smash Bros. Maybe Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, TWEWY or a KH original character.

Also all of your dream rosters are awful for excluding the one perfect Nintendo character.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 15, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

If Square actually cared enough they would of brought back Mallow and Geno for the Mario basketball game joint project or the fortune street games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

as a duck i find that dog to be triggering

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
No joke an awesome assist trophy/final smash/whatever would be everybody turning into ducks and the player who gets it has to shoot them down. If he misses the dog comes and laughs at them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

DrPaper posted:

Man, it'd own if Sakurai added him in this time, only to find out nobody wants him anymore.

The VGCW's already proven Geno's way past his expiration date.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

He's still a neat character design, I liked Puppetmon for a lot of the same reasons. Wooden robots are cool to me, don't ask me why

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Periodic Table of the Smash Bros.

Well, I definitely want this to be a thing now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Excels posted:

Tried my hand at a "dream roster". Top is playable, bottom is Assists.

Giygas would be hilarious as an assist trophy. It'd be like Andross, he falls into the background and a text box says "YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND THE FORM OF GIYGAS' ASSIST TROPHY" then the stage explodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Giygas as an assist trophy would cause all characters to commit suicide and all save data to be erased unless you, the player, prayed hard enough with with your friends for that not to happen.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Giygas as an assist trophy would cause all characters to commit suicide and all save data to be erased unless you, the player, prayed hard enough with with your friends for that not to happen.

fantastic

this is a great post

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Giygas should be a stage. He practically already is Final Destination.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Actually, the next EarthBound assist trophy should totally be a Starman. He just stands there and shoots lasers or fireballs, but there's a 1/128 chance he'll be a Starman Super instead, in which case he just throws a Sword of Kings at someone and disappears.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I was always under the impression that unique characters that showed up in Super Mario RPG were owned fairly jointly between both Square and Nintendo.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Zain posted:

I was always under the impression that unique characters that showed up in Super Mario RPG were owned fairly jointly between both Square and Nintendo.

You were under the wrong impression.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I don't know any of these animes people are talking about but I think funk pioneer George Clinton should be a character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.

For your consideration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733O0xJDx8o

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 15, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I am Reverend posted:

I don't know any of these animes people are talking about but I think funk pioneer George Clinton should be a character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.

For your consideration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733O0xJDx8o

I miss ridiculous music videos like these.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squallege posted:

I miss ridiculous music videos like these.
You still get them, you just have to look on youtube for amateur artists with way too much money on their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyDz8WeiM4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

You still get them, you just have to look on youtube for amateur artists with way too much money on their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyDz8WeiM4
What I'm saying is Chris Dane Owens for Brawl.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cleretic posted:

Giygas should be a stage. He practically already is Final Destination.

They should cut Lucas and put Pokey/Porky in in his spider mech. His final smash could be to turn off the Devil's Machine.:kheldragar:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 15, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

instead of cheering his name when he's winning, everyone is just earnestly begging porky to stop already

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I am entirely okay with having Porky as a character. He would have the best goddamn taunts.

He's basically Cartman, but with access to people more evil than he is.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Spankity, spankity!

I would forever be down with playable Porky.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

FD variants are on 3DS.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bass Bottles posted:

They wouldn't have to stick to that exact layout, they could add more openings. Also, imagine if Pac-Man (or Alfonso if Pac-Man is in the battle) were running around the maze in 2D limbless form, pushing players toward the exits.

Fixed that for you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DrPaper posted:

FD variants are on 3DS.

I like this take on the alternate versions. It's not exactly Final Destination, there's still variance, it's just being used as a standard.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Just give me Shulk you stupid sons of bitches. I mean, how much of a withholding rear end in a top hat can you be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Legin Noslen posted:

Just give me Shulk you stupid sons of bitches. I mean, how much of a withholding rear end in a top hat can you be.

It's not certain or anything, but Shulk is rumoured to be in, according to the E3/Gematsu leaker.

Besides that, it would make sense to included Xenoblade representation since there's a new game coming up on Wii U.

• Locked thread