Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I can't wait to see Colossal Punch hitting on average for 400k with 800-900k brutals because of this update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Ranged Taskmaster's gonna be BALLER if this fighting buff is at good as it seems at first glance.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

AHungryRobot posted:

Ranged Taskmaster's gonna be BALLER if this fighting buff is at good as it seems at first glance.
Yeah, I'm looking at my skill bar and pretty much every button I want to press (except Nerve Gas and the aoe vuln web?) is tagged Fighting. Should be fun.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at my skill bar and pretty much every button I want to press (except Nerve Gas and the aoe vuln web?) is tagged Fighting. Should be fun.

You missed the part where they're removing Fighting tags from the game. Fighting will apply to -all- skills.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Psyker posted:

You missed the part where they're removing Fighting tags from the game. Fighting will apply to -all- skills.

On top of that, any power currently tagged Fighting is going to get a large base damage buff.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Cease to Hope posted:

There's no such thing as a Cap ranged build, though. Buffing his ranged skills is still buffing a melee character. At the end of the day, Cap still gets a ton of damage out of his basic or ST spirit spender, so he'll be standing in melee.

If the Fighting revamp is intended to buff melee characters relative to ranged, I don't think there will be any ranged builds that benefit unduly, as jubelio implied. The only ranged builds that benefit are already anemic, like Punisher, ranged DP, and gun-heavy Cable. I did forget Hawkeye and Black Widow when I originally listed them, but Hawkeye's pointy arrows (as opposed to the trick arrows) could use the buff, and Black Widow will presumably have the buffs rolled into her general revamp.

Yeah, I only use Shield Swipe and Airborne Assault as melee tagged abilities, and I have no problems with cosmics or high level x-def at 60 on cap. pure shield throwing works fine and Im skeptical that any melee build could do significantly more in most situations.

EDIT: Also RR's gun tree is all ranged all fighting skills.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 15, 2014

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Psyker posted:

Yeah, exactly, everyone needs to remember that every skill is getting buffed. Not just fighting skills. The extra 20 or 25% they are going to give to fighting skills is so that they get buffed too. If they didn't then they'd have the same damage as they do now while every other power in the game gets a buff.

Assume +20% from str/energy and +20% from fighting
Now
Fighting skill: +20% + 20% = +40%
Non-fighting skill: +20%

After, without extra 20%
Non-fighting skill: +20% + 20% = +40%

After as planned
Fighting skill: +20% + 20% + 20% = +60%

cl_gibcount 9999 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 15, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Psyker posted:

No, they're referring to that.

As part of that everything currently tagged Fighting is getting a damage buff since Fighting skills will no longer be double-dipping attributes for damage boosts. CPP is pleased because all of the skills on their taskbar are currently Fighting skills and therefore going to get base damage buffs when the Fighting tag gets removed, AND going to get boosted by attributes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Yeah, exactly, everyone needs to remember that every skill is getting buffed. Not just fighting skills. The extra 20 or 25% they are going to give to fighting skills is so that they get buffed too. If they didn't then they'd have the same damage as they do now while every other power in the game gets a buff.

Assume +20% from str/energy and +20% from fighting
Now
Non-fighting skill: +20%

After, without extra 20%

After as planned
Fighting skill: +20% + 20% + 20% = +60%

This is not how it works if the Fighting skills truly are getting +20% or +25% base damage. +25% base damage would mean you're doing 125% total damage of the damage you do right now. That's an absolutely huge damage buff, the equivalent of multiple thousands of DR in endgame gear.

It would be so much damage that I don't think it works that way. So we'll see how it ends up working.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ghostlight posted:

No, they're referring to that.

As part of that everything currently tagged Fighting is getting a damage buff since Fighting skills will no longer be double-dipping attributes for damage boosts. CPP is pleased because all of the skills on their taskbar are currently Fighting skills and therefore going to get base damage buffs when the Fighting tag gets removed, AND going to get boosted by attributes.
Yeah, this. But hey, if TM ends up with more damage after that patch than he had going into it, I'll be happy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

+25% base damage would mean you're doing 125% total damage of the damage you do right now.

I am fairly certain that "base damage" means it increases the base damage, not the total damage. If your power hits for 20k and 10k of that is DR etc., +25% base damage means it's going to hit for 22.5k, not 25k. It's additive with DR, not multiplicative, so DR etc. doesn't apply to it.

At least that's what I observed with the +40% base damage vs. bosses function. :shrug:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I am fairly certain that "base damage" means it increases the base damage, not the total damage. If your power hits for 20k and 10k of that is DR etc., +25% base damage means it's going to hit for 22.5k, not 25k. It's additive with DR, not multiplicative, so DR etc. doesn't apply to it.

At least that's what I observed with the +40% base damage vs. bosses function. :shrug:

Damage per hit (not including crits) in Marvel Heroes works like this:

[base damage from skill ranks] x (1+[damage rating, attributes, and all similar flat modifiers to damage]) x [vulnerability if you have it]

Let's call this A x D x V.

Powers like Armor Buster or Mighty Punch with 40% extra damage on bosses/elites stack additively with DR, and go in the D bucket. You can think of these powers as having an always-on 1600-1760 DR against elites and bosses (at level 60). Likewise, any effect (other than Vulnerability) that says it increases your damage by X% stacks additively with and works like DR. Thus, any effect that gives you +n% damage is not increasing your total damage to 100+n%, because D was already >100% from your damage rating, synergies, attributes, and whatever other poo poo you have. Going from 250% to 275% is a smaller proportional increase. These effects are specifically not called increases to base damage.

When Gaz talks about increases to base damage, they're (usually) talking about increasing A, in the context of buffing a skill. A true increase in base damage of n% would increase your total damage to 100+n%, because it's not stacking additively with anything, but rather multiplying by all of your damage rating. (This is, incidentally, why skill boosts are so great after MH 2.1.) This is a lot bigger than the DR-equivalent boosts you get from everything else, and the magnitude of it makes me think it has to work some other way.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Yes there is absolutely no way they are increasing the value of the base damage by 20-25%.

The way they word this poo poo is pretty dumb though, as all the damage modifiers in the game say that they increase base damage.

What they will likely do is leave all current fighting skills tagged as fighting internally and add the 20 or 25% damage boost that affects only those powers and it will add in with DR and all other damage boost stats as expected.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

What they will likely do is leave all current fighting skills tagged as fighting internally and add the 20 or 25% damage boost that affects only those powers and it will add in with DR and all other damage boost stats as expected.

If they did that and made the bonus stack additively with DR, it'd be a 8~12% damage buff for endgame characters, proportionally larger when your gear is crap.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

When Gaz talks about increases to base damage, they're (usually) talking about increasing A

I just checked, and every +40% damage vs. bosses skill I looked at (I checked Ms. M, Luke Cage, Hawkeye and Taskmaster) specifically says "+40% base damage."

My guess is that this is the terminology they use to refer to increases to the D bucket, and that the new stuff is going to be D as well.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Cease to Hope posted:

If they did that and made the bonus stack additively with DR, it'd be a 8~12% damage buff for endgame characters, proportionally larger when your gear is crap.

Exactly, they aren't looking to push damage over the top. Everyone is going to see some amount of damage increase in every skill due to the fighting change. Fighting tagged powers aren't going to see a bigger increase than non-fighting powers unless the amount you currently get from fighting is less than the 20 or 25% bonus they add.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Everything that adds % damage functions exactly the same whether or not it says "base" damage in the description. It's the same poo poo as synergies where it's just converted to DR. This is less "broken" than Taskmaster's melee basic.

All of the damage boosts on attributes are just straight static DR conversions yet again and they are still not very impressive. Not enough to warrant giving up better costume core mods for most heroes, such as 25% health/spirit on medkit or invuln on medkit.

e: Defense on core seems to be just waaaay inferior to straight +health, which I've seen approach 2000.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 15, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phyresis posted:

All of the damage boosts on attributes are just straight static DR conversions yet again and they are still not very impressive. Not enough to warrant giving up better costume core mods for most heroes, such as 25% health/spirit on medkit or invuln on medkit.

The best part about the stat review is that you'll no longer get a sizeable benefit from going 6=>7 on stats, which means that doubling down on medkit cores is now the best idea for basically everyone, because the consideration is "do I want 25% HP/spirit on heal, or do I want +4% damage/+1% aspd/whatever."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The best part about the stat review is that you'll no longer get a sizeable benefit from going 6=>7 on stats, which means that doubling down on medkit cores is now the best idea for basically everyone, because the consideration is "do I want 25% HP/spirit on heal, or do I want +4% damage/+1% aspd/whatever."

It just means that 25% medkit/+1Fight is the best core for everyone.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

2 seconds of invulnerability is basically like your hero gained a new power. I find that to be much more useful than a minor damage (miniscule, even) increase.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

It just means that 25% medkit/+1Fight is the best core for everyone.

I prefer invuln to 25%, but that's YMMV.

Assuming that that's +4% damage in the D bucket instead of the A bucket, as mentioned before, +1 Fighting will not be worth trading in one of the two. If it's the A bucket instead, you'll probably be looking at ~6% damage increase overall, which might be worth sacrificing one of the medkit affixes.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They are going to buff some of the legendary items again by the way:

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/83778/feedback-requested-legendary-item-buffs-part-2/p1

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Yes there is absolutely no way they are increasing the value of the base damage by 20-25%.

Someone was saying this in super chat last night. Lets not forget that in one patch we saw DPS increases of up to (and in excess of) 300% on some heroes. Base damage changes are absolutely subject to massive swings.

Yeah, get in on the "life on kill is a horrible stat" conversation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:stare:

new M'Kraan Crystal posted:

100 Spirit
1000 Health
100 Spirit
Crit Rating equal to 1x your spirit
10% chance when you hit to deal damage equal to a 200x your spirit in a large area (20 second cd)

So, uh, on my IM this would mean 1024 crit rating with a 10% chance on hit to do 205k damage "in a large area" on a 20s cd.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So, uh, on my IM this would mean 1024 crit rating with a 10% chance on hit to do 205k damage "in a large area" on a 20s cd.

I'm reading that thread now and the people who want the CCR to proc 400 health/40 spirit on hit with no cooldown just make me go :lol:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I want to use M'Kraan Crystal every time they buff it but Gungnir still seems to provide more damage for my Iron Man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ 600 DR on Crystal plus a free One-Off every 20 seconds would absolutely destroy Gungnir where IM is concerned.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:stare:

You're slacking off on the Spirit there, mate. If I put my Beta back on I'd be at 1205 Spirit with this, and I haven't geared for it to a mad degree like some people. Who is it who has the 1800 Spirit pool on his IM?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 15, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

You're slacking off on the Spirit there, mate. If I put my Beta back on I'd be at 1205 Spirit with this, and I haven't geared for it to a mad degree like some people. Who is it who has the 1800 Spirit pool on his IM?

I've only got something like 100 Gibbs, my Mini-Reactor is only +103 and my Oscorp is only +277. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've only got something like 100 Gibbs, my Mini-Reactor is only +103 and my Oscorp is only +277. :v:

I have exactly 100 Gibbs and no Oscorp or Beta to get my 900 Spirit pool. What are you doing?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Neptune's Trident needs +pet duration added somewhere.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

I have exactly 100 Gibbs and no Oscorp or Beta to get my 900 Spirit pool. What are you doing?

The only +spirit gear he has on is slot2, because his other slots are taken up by uniques.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Jedit posted:

^^^ 600 DR on Crystal plus a free One-Off every 20 seconds would absolutely destroy Gungnir where IM is concerned.

No, it's like not even close for me. I have a 50% crit rate with Gungnir so the CDR is better than 600 DR and 200k damage every 20s is not much when pulse bolt is critting for 60k half of the time. Odinrage is pretty significant as well.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lemon Curdistan posted:

(M'Kraan stats)

My Iron Man has 1800 spirit as a gimmick and I cannot wait for this ridiculousness.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
After playing around with team-ups for a couple days, what I've found myself doing for most of my high-level characters is setting them to 'Assist', 'Treasure Find', and whatever active powers in tier 3 and 4. For most non-boss content I don't really need them, so I can leverage a little bit of RIF/SIF and free money, and then when poo poo hits the fan or you get to the terminal boss you can call them in for 30 seconds doing triple base damage and with big hitter powers.

For low-level and/or characters still leveling though 'Companion' team-ups are loving amazingly useful.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hulk's 52 Review:

HULK FAST!: +1 Speed/Rank
HULK STRONG!: +1 Strength/Rank
HULK TOUGH!: +1 Durability/Rank

Each has an active to consume 100 Anger to double the effect for 8 seconds.

Tell Doomsaw he can pay me in Dogecoins.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

WarLocke posted:

After playing around with team-ups for a couple days, what I've found myself doing for most of my high-level characters is setting them to 'Assist', 'Treasure Find', and whatever active powers in tier 3 and 4. For most non-boss content I don't really need them, so I can leverage a little bit of RIF/SIF and free money, and then when poo poo hits the fan or you get to the terminal boss you can call them in for 30 seconds doing triple base damage and with big hitter powers.

For low-level and/or characters still leveling though 'Companion' team-ups are loving amazingly useful.

I've personally had a team-up out all of 2 times, both by accident. All passive all the time.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I just want to chime in that HarryTasker, Lord of the Whitelist, may have the most god awful Luke build I have ever read. That is a mid-grade build and I'll go as far as to say my Luke build is best in the game.

That's right, I don't even know anybody else's build, but this poo poo I got is BIS irl.

Harry says put points in those summoning skills...HAHAHA. Is he not familiar with Gaz pet math? It does not work.

Max Savage Beatdown? Basics are for basic builds. You can't bring that to square and expect domination. Might as well max Business Is Good for "damage purposes" with that logic.

Most importantly, his Luke is normal sized. Roflmao holy shitstains, EVERYBODY knows your char ain't poo poo unless it's baby form.

If you aren't little, your build is shittle.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
You can't say those kind of things about HarryTasker, the man who is saving Marvel Heroes, according to HarryTasker.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Marvel Heroes: If you aren't little, your build is shittle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Eiffel On You posted:

Max Savage Beatdown? Basics are for basic builds. You can't bring that to square and expect domination. Might as well max Business Is Good for "damage purposes" with that logic.

Oddly enough, this worked in Xdef as far as damage meters were concerned!

Also, post you build please.

• Locked thread