Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Korak posted:

Hate Bea... not quite. BW Control card to hose people?

That's a Horned Turtle, not a bear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Thaumaturge seems cool with Aurelia's Fury. Good with just about everything else too haha.

The Thaumaturge makes Glimpse the Sun God and Sea God's Revenge pretty funny in limited.
:lol: Ok time to search gatherer for X spells with abuseble effects.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Korak posted:

Aurelia's Fury.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Strength of the Tajaru in a Kruphix EDH deck? Why yes, I would like to put twenty +1/+1 tokens on everything on my board.

ThirdEmperor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 15, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Korak posted:

Fireball if you want go classic.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Fireball if you want go classic.

Yeah but Thaumaguy doesn't actually let your Fireball deal more damage, just target more stuff for free.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yeah but Thaumaguy doesn't actually let your Fireball deal more damage, just target more stuff for free.

Clan Defiance then if the targets are available.

Edit - also, glimpse the sun God to tap out an opponent for 1 mana or to heroic trigger all your creatures at the end of your opponent's turn.

traslin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 15, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

At the ptq I flashed in an agent of horizons after an opponent dropped a kiora that had already +1'd another creature. Then used the agent of horizons to deal 3 unlockable to my opponent and lost to a cascade of krakens later on.

When I got told about my mistake I almost dropped from the event on the spot.

Yeah I'll come clean. Mine involved Kiora too. Kiora plus guardians of meletis .dek. Kiora's at 5 this turn and I need to clear out a blocker. Play time to feed on my staunch hearted warrior, 'countered' by lost in the labyrinth. Two seconds later, I think to myself, "with this other time to feed I'll be up to 6 power to take out this stupid guardian." Of course he still had the -3/-0 from two seconds ago. :shepicide:

Taking another 15(!) turns to lose to kiora's ultimate, against someone who is new and reading every card and making mistakes really got to me. At least I was able to stay polite to them. I'm just really frustrated with myself. Writing it out helps though.

Anyways folks don't be like me!

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

Sounds better with Comet Storm.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zemyla posted:

Daring Thief + Master of Waves. Steal your opponent's best creatures and give them 1/0s that die immediately.

We may be looking at the 3 drop that replaces Nightveil.

Maybe.

Probably not.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
That battlefield thaumaturge of whatever seems incredibly powerful. All removal costs one colorless less when he's out? Nice 2/1 for two with some crazy upside.

AardvarkGrenadier
Mar 29, 2010
Battlefield Thaumaturge is everything I never knew I wanted. Probably the card I'm most excited about that I've seen so far.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

traslin posted:

Edit - also, glimpse the sun God to tap out an opponent for 1 mana or to heroic trigger all your creatures at the end of your opponent's turn.

Oh jeez, this is totally true. :stonk: I guess the only problem is getting this all to fit in a deck.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Attorney at Funk posted:

A Rule of Law you can Pod for.

I can see this as a better pod target than aethersworn canonist against storm given it doesn't die to bolt

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zemyla posted:

Daring Thief + Master of Waves. Steal your opponent's best creatures and give them 1/0s that die immediately.

In what scenario do I have a heavily devoted Master of Waves and can swing a 2/3 with impunity yet haven't already won?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Battlefield thaumaturge is the dude on the event deck packaging.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
The general feel I'm getting from JOU is that outside of a few obviously powerful standalone cards, it's a set full of really enticing looking Johnny cards that depend heavily on synergies and/or have some 'live-the-dream' casual kitchen table combo potential. As you'd expect out of a small 3rd set, I don't see much impact to current Standard based on what we've seen thus far in terms of shaking up the established archetypes or creating new ones, but unlike BNG (which similarly didn't shake up the meta very much outside of Courser making green strategies that much more competitive) there's just something about the cards that is just inherently "cooler" even if they're not all immediately headed into Tier 1 strategies.

Also a lot of my above assessment is heavily informed by the fact that we're still living in a world dominated by RTR block, so there's always the hope that once we get to rotation things will open up and a lot of the spicier interactions suggested by these spoilers can take on more substantial form. Or they can remain firmly the stuff of Tier 2 Synergy City or Combotown USA decks which is perfectly fine, too.

Seriously though, I can't think of a single disappointing day this week or last where there wasn't at least one card that made me go "Oh?!", which is saying something. Really neat looking set so far.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The general feel I'm getting from JOU is that outside of a few obviously powerful standalone cards, it's a set full of really enticing looking Johnny cards that depend heavily on synergies and/or have some 'live-the-dream' casual kitchen table combo potential. As you'd expect out of a small 3rd set, I don't see much impact to current Standard based on what we've seen thus far in terms of shaking up the established archetypes or creating new ones, but unlike BNG (which similarly didn't shake up the meta very much outside of Courser making green strategies that much more competitive) there's just something about the cards that is just inherently "cooler" even if they're not all immediately headed into Tier 1 strategies.

Also a lot of my above assessment is heavily informed by the fact that we're still living in a world dominated by RTR block, so there's always the hope that once we get to rotation things will open up and a lot of the spicier interactions suggested by these spoilers can take on more substantial form. Or they can remain firmly the stuff of Tier 2 Synergy City or Combotown USA decks which is perfectly fine, too.

Seriously though, I can't think of a single disappointing day this week or last where there wasn't at least one card that made me go "Oh?!", which is saying something. Really neat looking set so far.

I agree. The power level of RtR is insane, the cards that are potentially viable in theros block are being overshadowed by the extremely high class cards, especially removal with supreme verdict, detention sphere and such. When the dust settles post rotation a lot of cards which have been dismissed will be actually good and potentially cards that seem "not good enough" will see play, since I think the set is a lot more about making a deck with a lot of mediocre cards which meshes together well rather than "build around me" cards like sphinx's revelation, pack rat, descration demon as such examples. Brewing tier 2 decks is always fun to do when these spoilers come out, as a lot of people are trying to find the next new thing and that makes me try and make a deck which will completely survive other than g/r monsters, but until M15 comes out with some core set cards that might be difficult to do.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In what scenario do I have a heavily devoted Master of Waves and can swing a 2/3 with impunity yet haven't already won?
RG monsters? He can swing into any of their mana dorks and survive, and when he's tapped, there's a massive disincentive to play one of their five-drops.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Can glimpse the sun god target creatures that are already tapped or are they considered illegal targets? That and dauntless onslaught are nice 1 cmc spells with thaumaturge out.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zemyla posted:

RG monsters? He can swing into any of their mana dorks and survive, and when he's tapped, there's a massive disincentive to play one of their five-drops.

Definitely wanna face this RG deck that has no power on the board by turn 4.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Can glimpse the sun god target creatures that are already tapped or are they considered illegal targets? That and dauntless onslaught are nice 1 cmc spells with thaumaturge out.

You can target tapped creatures with it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Promoted Pawn posted:

If you have two of him out then you can do more damage the more creatures you target with Fireball or Comet Storm or Aurelia's Fury.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

MiddleEastBeast posted:

You can target tapped creatures with it.

So pre-combat do Launch the Fleet targeting all my dudes and triggering heroics, then attack but before going to block step I can Glimpse the Sun God, tap all enemies, re-target my guys and get more heroic triggers? That would be amazing with some phalanx leaders out.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

JerryLee posted:

My only problem with this argument is that it works against this flavor for Red to have problems actually casting the cards it calls up, unless it waits until later in the game (which, again, is sort of a flavor conflict). I guess the idea of the red mage getting a sudden flash of insight and then going :saddowns: as he realizes he spent all his mana already is sort of flavorful, but it's pretty obviously a kind of flavor that creates feelbads for the player.

Ironically, the blue mage has to do less planning than the red mage, since (all else being equal) they can just pull the trigger on their Divination effect at 3 mana, vs. the hypothetical red card under discussion.

This is from a while ago, but it got me thinking. What if instead of instant card draw blue got a version of this kind of draw that represented long-term planning instead of flashes of brilliance? Something like a sorcery: "Exile the top card of your library. After your next upkeep, you may play that card whenever you normally could." Obviously worse (strictly)(except for cases when you don't want cards in your hand) than just straight up draw, but it kind of separates the blue and red parts of the color pie more cleanly. You could even use counters to keep track of things like only being able to play it after 2 upkeeps, or whatever. How would something like this have to be costed?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ianvincible posted:

This is from a while ago, but it got me thinking. What if instead of instant card draw blue got a version of this kind of draw that represented long-term planning instead of flashes of brilliance? Something like a sorcery: "Exile the top card of your library. After your next upkeep, you may play that card whenever you normally could." Obviously worse (strictly)(except for cases when you don't want cards in your hand) than just straight up draw, but it kind of separates the blue and red parts of the color pie more cleanly. You could even use counters to keep track of things like only being able to play it after 2 upkeeps, or whatever. How would something like this have to be costed?

Suspend was basically this and it was a bunch of unpleasant bookkeeping. I doubt we'll see it again.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So pre-combat do Launch the Fleet targeting all my dudes and triggering heroics, then attack but before going to block step I can Glimpse the Sun God, tap all enemies, re-target my guys and get more heroic triggers? That would be amazing with some phalanx leaders out.

Yup that works.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I feel like Suspend was done a disservice by being used as much as it was. It was kind of useless on anything that didn't change the board state enough to force your enemy to plan for it.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
The best part of Suspend will always be having a bunch of your creatures one turn away from coming into play and then casting a wrath.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Aegis of the Gods - 1W
Enchantment Creature - Human Soldier
You have hexproof.
2/1

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Aegis of the Gods - 1W
Enchantment Creature - Human Soldier
You have hexproof.
2/1

Oh my god. This is such a nice hatebear against r/w burn. Spirit of the Labyrinth + this + Imposing Sovereign = hatebears.dec? Kinda dies to shrivel though :(
It could be also nice in an enchantment hexproof aura deck to prevent devour flesh and such killing their guys?

Samael fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 15, 2014

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

a dozen swans posted:

The best part of Suspend will always be having a bunch of your creatures one turn away from coming into play and then casting a wrath.

The spell you are looking for is Obliterate. This is a wonderful way to not get invited back to EDH games. Suspend some huge fatties with Jhoira, one turn before they show up cast Obliterate, listen to the tears.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

Oh my god. This is such a nice hatebear against r/w burn. Spirit of the Labyrinth + this + Imposing Sovereign = hatebears.dec? Kinda dies to shrivel though :(
It could be also nice in an enchantment hexproof aura deck to prevent devour flesh and such killing their guys?

Does R/W burn really not run any spells that could kill a 1 toughness creature? I am not up to date on burn but that strikes me as really weird.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
He has a witchbane orb in his pocket.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rabidsquid posted:

Does R/W burn really not run any spells that could kill a 1 toughness creature? I am not up to date on burn but that strikes me as really weird.

It forces them to kill it instead of going for your face, but yeah it has a very short lifespan (especially against Searing Blood).

It seems like a decent option out of the board for hexproof though, considering people will be inclined to side out their targeted creature removal.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

rabidsquid posted:

Yes, but it forces their hand, as it were.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Edit: Nm, misread it.

Searing Blood or Firedancer answer it, so Burns not too hosed over.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 15, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

It also stops duress, thoughtseize and lifebane zombie right? A very good sideboard card against mono black.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: Nm, misread it.

Searing Blood or Firedancer answer it, so Burns not too hosed over.

Firedancer definitely doesn't answer it effectively, unless you have an "each opponent" or "each player" spell. Searing Blood on it is super good, though.

I like the card, but i'm not sure how powerful it will wind up being, just because Ivory Mask / Leyline of Sanctity are so much better when mono-red can't remove them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Double posting, but Enormous Casual Red Rare spotted:

How long until it gets banned in EDH?

• Locked thread