Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Best line of the show was Cecil's final "I'm not a good salesman":smug:. It really makes me think that Cecil is playing 10 dimensional chess while all the Strex goons are running around thinking Night Vale is just another "pay to win" town to acquire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Action Yak Police posted:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out they had some kind of Apache Tracker/Man in the Tan Jacket thing going.

This would explain everything.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hey just got around to listening to "Visitor" and it was great and I was super intensely into it until sad Cecil said "He was my boy, he was my buddy..." and I immediately and uncontrollably burst into tears. I had to give away MY cat earlier this year due to cat health reasons and it tore me apart. He WAS my boy, he WAS my buddy.....This show is so wonderful because you find those deeply human moments in this crazy Lovecraftian world. I again thank all you people who make it. Such hard, quality work, and it shows. It's art. Thank you thank you thank you.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Okay, time has passed, I'm not going to tag this.

Steve is Janice's (Janet's?) stepfather. This implies Cecil has a sister (or had a sister who is "out of town"), got married, had a kid, then something happened to the husband (divorce/death) and she remarried. That seems like a lot of characters I don't know about.

Question for anyone on the Night Vale staff: What is the correct spelling of the niece's name? Like, if there's an official spelling in the script.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I really hope that this

Zorak posted:

I had assumed from the end of the episode that the whole "Niece" thing was a lie and it's just Cecil funding the rebellion against Strex Corp using it as a front. Plus it could also be a ruse to get station management to buy / consume something as some sort of ruse. Thus his attacking Steve Carlsberg was incidental because gently caress that guy.

is the case instead.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I was wondering if you guys saw/heard about the guys at Superego up for doing a crossover with Nightvale?

Someone asked them during a video interview/recording thing and one of them said they'd do it and to contact them about it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I'm really looking forward to Tuesday's episode. Maxnmona tweeted the title last week: "A Story About Them."

The title alone sends chills down my spine. I have a feeling it's going to be a doozy.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

dj_clawson posted:

No, my plan is working too well.

That's it, I'm doxxing you. Here's his photo, everyone.

wait gently caress where did i put it

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
The weather this week was amazing. Also StrexCorp now owns city hall! The tiny city isn't finished yet and intern Dana continues to be a badass.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

dragon_pamcake posted:

The weather this week was amazing.

I'll second that. Possibly my favourite weather yet. After it finished playing I was torn between wanting to hear the rest of the episode and wanting to rewind it to hear that song again, and the song won out.

e: This whole episode was fantastic. I was cracking up when the man who is not tall started arguing with Cecil's narration of what he was thinking.

Leospeare fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is...is Old Woman Josie okay? :ohdear:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

She hasn't been seen since Yellow Helicopters and hasn't been mentioned since. Either Strex took her away or killed her. I don't think Cecil knows.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

dragon_pamcake posted:

She hasn't been seen since Yellow Helicopters and hasn't been mentioned since. Either Strex took her away or killed her. I don't think Cecil knows.

Maybe she's with the angels!

...or she's with the angels. :(

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Wandering Knitter posted:

The angels left her unprotected, and then the yellow helicopters came for her. Perhaps even they cannot stand against the smiling god.

I still want to see the "awesome god.. Much better than that dumb god Desert Bluffs has," despite the fact that it was probably just a one off joke. And despite the fact that whatever strange deity Night Valeians might pray to under civic mandate would never actually be describable.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Leospeare posted:

I'll second that. Possibly my favourite weather yet. After it finished playing I was torn between wanting to hear the rest of the episode and wanting to rewind it to hear that song again, and the song won out.

e: This whole episode was fantastic. I was cracking up when the man who is not tall started arguing with Cecil's narration of what he was thinking.

She was the Weather at the Dallas show and I really enjoyed her music. I was happy to see she was the weather in today's episode and the tone of the song really felt like it fit the episode.

I did listen to the episode right before going to sleep and both the story and the proverb gave me a pretty hosed up dream, though.

City Hall being tarped over by StrexCorp was maybe my favorite image of the show. I really love the slow build of Cecil's fury.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I definitely want to know more about the dark planet near the end but that may be due to loving astronomy, and the lunar eclipse last night.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
My speculation is that the dark planet that keeps being mentioned is tied in some way with Dana's Dimension, which is also connected to Strex? I'm so confused, but in a good, thinking way

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Solaris Knight posted:

My speculation is that the dark planet that keeps being mentioned is tied in some way with Dana's Dimension, which is also connected to Strex? I'm so confused, but in a good, thinking way

I'm not sure about that last connection, because in Condos :siren: SPOILER FOR THE CONDOS EPISODE SPECIFICALLY :siren: Cecil's vision of a "perfect world" that he saw when in the condo was the Dark Planet of Awesome Size Lit By No Sun, and that makes me doubt it and Strex are connected.

Unless of course, the DPoASLbnS is some kind of anti-Strex...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is not the first time I have bought an album on the strength of the Weather, but this is probably the first time I've done so on the same day.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

docbeard posted:

This is not the first time I have bought an album on the strength of the Weather, but this is probably the first time I've done so on the same day.

I can see why people like it, but it's a bit too loud and repetitive for my tastes. To each their own, I guess.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Odd question, but I was wondering if you guys have an 'endgame' of sorts planned? Something along the lines of (and god forbid, but all good things and all that) 'we'll, interest is waning and/or time to move on so here's how everything concludes' type of scenario.

Not trying to borrow trouble, it just occurred to me during a cross discussion of WtNV and Game of Thrones.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Were the man who is not short and the man who is not tall, based on Kroup and Van Demar from Never Where?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
My theory is that the dark planet of awesome size lit by no sun is a nexus of all the realities that make up the night vale multiverse, including Night Vale itself, Desert Bluffs, the desert Dana is trapped in and the alternate reality where Nulgursk was destroyed by nuclear war. The lighthouse on top of the mountain is its avatar in Dana's current reality. The ultimate goal of the Smiling God is to consume the dark planet, rendering all of existence null and void.

Basically I'm approaching it as a parallel of Stephen King's dark tower series, because there are SO MANY references and parallels.

Dark Planet/Lighthouse = The Dark Tower
Smiling God = Crimson King
Strexcorp = Sombra Corporation/North Central Positronics

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Odd question, but I was wondering if you guys have an 'endgame' of sorts planned? Something along the lines of (and god forbid, but all good things and all that) 'we'll, interest is waning and/or time to move on so here's how everything concludes' type of scenario.

Not trying to borrow trouble, it just occurred to me during a cross discussion of WtNV and Game of Thrones.

If the podcast drops below #30 on the itunes list there will be a GoT crossover episode where Daenerys comes through an intra-universal rift opened by Hiram McDaniels who mistakenly thought she was a three-headed dragon, and the station is incinerated when Cecil mispronounces what he thinks is a traditional Old Valerian greeting.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Earwicker posted:

If the podcast drops below #30 on the itunes list there will be a GoT crossover episode where Daenerys comes through an intra-universal rift opened by Hiram McDaniels who mistakenly thought she was a three-headed dragon, and the station is incinerated when Cecil mispronounces what he thinks is a traditional Old Valerian greeting.
I loving love you too loving much for this.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

iostream.h posted:

I loving love you too loving much for this.

I thought all real ~Wild Cards~ were incapable of love at this point.

I also thought this was a really fun episode! Cool to get some answers on a few things and some more weird mysteries going.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

I thought all real ~Wild Cards~ were incapable of love at this point.
You have no idea, no idea at all. :smith:
I read that first loving book when it was 'new series by acclaimed author GRRMpy'.

I know Dana's predicament all too well.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Earwicker posted:

This is more reasonable than some of the ridiculous speculation I've seen in this thread.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dana...Daenerys...THIS MEANS SOMETHING

(It means nothing. There is no such thing as meaning.)

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
"What do we say to the Smiling God?" "Not today."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I shall not look up. I shall not look inside. I shall not sleep. My god is not a smiling god and I am ready for this war."

Enough of that silliness, on to some different silliness.

After listening to this episode and giving A Story About You another listen, I can't help but wonder if there's a connection between the organization that employs the not-short/not-tall men that occasionally make hawk noises in response to orders, and the mysterious organization whose helicopters are covered in murals depicting birds of prey.

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008
I've been relistening from the start, and as early as episode six (The Drawbridge) Cecil mentions a power outage with the sounds of hawks shrieking, and once the power comes back on people feel like "they had been switched out with someone who is exactly like them." THE HAWKS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Cecil did say the children were better behaved after the Hawk Helicopters returned them...:tinfoil:

About the latest episode I found it really out of character for Cecil to refer to himself as "innocent and kind". I think the narrator for "A Story About Them" was the actual Voice of Night Vale or something else entirely.
I also think based on being seen by people who are about to die and Cecil's vision in "Condos" that the Dark Planet Lit by No Sun is Night Vale's god/Strex's archenemy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

About the latest episode I found it really out of character for Cecil to refer to himself as "innocent and kind". I think the narrator for "A Story About Them" was the actual Voice of Night Vale or something else entirely.

It could well be both. He said, also in this episode, that he sometimes has no idea why he says the things he says. (And other times he knows exactly why.)

quote:

I also think based on being seen by people who are about to die and Cecil's vision in "Condos" that the Dark Planet Lit by No Sun is Night Vale's god/Strex's archenemy

Who knew that the throwaway line "our god is an awesome god, much better than that ridiculous god they worship in Desert Bluffs" might actually have plot significance?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

docbeard posted:

Who knew that the throwaway line "our god is an awesome god, much better than that ridiculous god they worship in Desert Bluffs" might actually have plot significance?

I just realized Cecil taunted Desert Bluffs with that line only one Episode before "Yellow Helicopters." Way to gently caress up everything, Cecil.

Devil's Advocate
Nov 22, 2004
Honestly, what has the devil ever done to YOU?
I always just thought the dark planet of awesome size lit by no sun was just something you see before you die. Then again it being a visual representation of death would make it a pretty appropriate deity for night vale I suppose.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in case you guys missed it there is a 2nd Anniversary live show in NYC at Town Hall on June 4th featuring a completely new script that will only be performed at this one event. Disparition will be playing live. And tickets are on sale now!

http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events/#/townhall2014/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Last I checked (about an hour after it went on sale) there were 5 tickets left, so it's now or never.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
If I'm going to buy one Disparition album to listen to while driving a convertible on a desert road trip, which one should I buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Knockknees posted:

If I'm going to buy one Disparition album to listen to while driving a convertible on a desert road trip, which one should I buy?

When is your road trip? I'm releasing a new album called Granicha on May 23rd so I'd say that one. Otherwise, Madoc - it only has three tracks but they are quite long and meant to be journeys so I think it'd be good for a road trip.