Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vodos posted:

If you're an emperor, declare war on the actual pope to install your antipope as pope. You'll end up with a vassal pope and you can abuse the poo poo out of him by claiming titles left and right since he can't refuse your requests. I think you also get a portion of his income based on your church taxes.

Ed: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Antipope

Crap, I'm only a king. What now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Gort posted:

Crap, I'm only a king. What now?

You can still install him as pope, he just won't be your vassal. I'm actually not sure how to get rid of an antipope once you have one, possibly by switching back to the papal investiture law?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

It's kind of strange, because it's not clear why the muslim empires are so stable compared to others, given that they mostly operate under the same rules.

I guess Sayyid might have a role in it.

Sayyid is, what, +10 or so? I guess between that, Hajjaj, and Haifez/Fiqh, you can get something like +30 to vassal opinion. Which is not inconsiderable but I've only ever seen all three on player rulers. Mutazilite/Ashari might contribute, but the malus for opposing schools is huge.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vodos posted:

You can still install him as pope, he just won't be your vassal. I'm actually not sure how to get rid of an antipope once you have one, possibly by switching back to the papal investiture law?

Luckily I have a save from before the antipope creation. Sounds like more trouble than they're worth before you're an Emperor.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
All bishops who like your antipope better than the pop pay their taxes to him, and he pays his taxes to you. :10bux:!

Inside Outside posted:

That was probably me. I just tried subscribing to a bunch of new workshop mods, booted the game up, and restarted a couple of times. The new mods didn't show up in the launcher and all the old ones cause CK2 to crash on startup. The content menu is grayed out too.

Dunno, what's up with that, but I picked a few more at random: Shattered world, Your personal castle, Your own bloodline, and they all work correctly. If you're sure the modder has re-published their mod since the patch and it doesn't load, let me which ones you are trying -but if it is the mod itself which is broken I can't help with that.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 15, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vodos posted:

Playing plain old orthodox Byz, I think I screwed up by mending the schism before crusades were enabled. I didn't get any holy orders when the the crusade event fired, would I have gotten them if I had waited until after crusades?
I might have to go try grab one of the last Zoroastrian provinces now before they convert.

Orthodox holy orders are independent of crusades. To get your one holy order, the counties Antioch and Jerusalem must be held by Orthodox characters and must be converted to Orthodox Christianity.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Torrannor posted:

Orthodox holy orders are independent of crusades. To get your one holy order, the counties Antioch and Jerusalem must be held by Orthodox characters and must be converted to Orthodox Christianity.
I thought that holy orders go to the newly dominant religion when a religion becomes a heresy, is that not the case for Catholic/Orthodox?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vodos posted:

I thought that holy orders go to the newly dominant religion when a religion becomes a heresy, is that not the case for Catholic/Orthodox?

Huh, that's actually a good question. I think it doesn't work that way for the Catholic/Orthodox split, since they are not originally parent religion and heresy, but I don't know exactly.

The normal Orthodox holy order is the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre by the way.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

With all this talk of antipopes, does anyone have any good advice for making a heresy stick, and surviving the backlash?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anticheese posted:

With all this talk of antipopes, does anyone have any good advice for making a heresy stick, and surviving the backlash?

Conquer all lands of your faith and convert all your vassals? If you play a Catholic heresy, Great Britain is a great defensive position.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anticheese posted:

Wait until you have a high diplo ruler with a fat bank and a nice long reign bonus, then convert and demand conversion from your immediate vassals. It should go pretty smoothly, unless you've just given some neighbouring superpower a nice shiny holy war CB to whack you with.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Autonomous Monster posted:

Wait until you have a high diplo ruler with a fat bank and a nice long reign bonus, then convert and demand conversion from your immediate vassals. It should go pretty smoothly, unless you've just given some neighbouring superpower a nice shiny holy war CB to whack you with.

I feel like you'd have to get rid of the HRE somehow to accomplish this.

The more I play the game the more I loving hate that gigantic grey blob. Come on Kaiser, just let me conquer France without immediately taking it from me and can I have just one single goddamned ruler that isn't excommunicated permanently? poo poo man, we were total bros through all those crusades, why do you hate me now?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Can someone remind me again why we are paying $15 for the same DLC over and over? I'm trying to justify my purchase of Rajas outside of just seeing the Indian subcontinent and I can't do it. The religions are garbage and unfun and less feature filled than vanilla.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Toadsniff posted:

Can someone remind me again why we are paying $15 for the same DLC over and over? I'm trying to justify my purchase of Rajas outside of just seeing the Indian subcontinent and I can't do it. The religions are garbage and unfun and less feature filled than vanilla.

Well then don't buy it? No one is forcing you to.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you people want some Jarls of India action, I made an improved version of Blarghasts thing.
It's so small I was able to attach it in the proper thread, so get it there.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?768000-MOD-Jarls-of-India&p=17248602&viewfull=1#post17248602

Here's the additional features/changes to Blarghast's initial release.
code:
new culture conversion, based on english melting pot, starts year 1000 
sacking events for indian holy sites
hindu norse religion
	has own icon
	works similar to mongols where every subject switches, gain caste traits. reqs indo-norse culture, kingdom title
	can't switch to sissy jain pacifists
	can intermarry with other indians
	no viking invasions
	retinues +30%
	instead of great blots holds yearly kali diwali feasts
		no option for animal sacrifice (because norse want to see some dead human bodies ok?)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

It's kind of strange, because it's not clear why the muslim empires are so stable compared to others, given that they mostly operate under the same rules.

I guess Sayyid might have a role in it.

They get one of the best succession laws, and free ducal revocation. Muslims really are quite solid without decadence to hold them back.

Vodos posted:

Playing plain old orthodox Byz, I think I screwed up by mending the schism before crusades were enabled. I didn't get any holy orders when the the crusade event fired, would I have gotten them if I had waited until after crusades?
I might have to go try grab one of the last Zoroastrian provinces now before they convert.

Do you have Sons of Abraham? Pretty sure most of the new Holy Orders won't be available if you don't. I mended the schism long after Crusades were enabled (they triggered early because one of the Karlings went heretic) and still didn't get any Holy Orders.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Vodos posted:

Nope that doesn't seem to be the case. I've mended the schism and orthodox is now the primary branch but I still only have the brotherhood as a holy order. Then again no crusade has been declared so it may be a case of the holy orders not having spawned yet in my game, I'll have to wait until 1100 and see.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Thrasophius posted:

Nope that doesn't seem to be the case. I've mended the schism and orthodox is now the primary branch but I still only have the brotherhood as a holy order. Then again no crusade has been declared so it may be a case of the holy orders not having spawned yet in my game, I'll have to wait until 1100 and see.

Well they spawn after the first crusade is declared, so if there's no need for a crusade they won't spawn at all. Also, can a mended Patriarch even call crusades?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Well then don't buy it? No one is forcing you to.

Don't like thing, don't buy thing. :bravo:

Just curious how you'd suppose one play the DLC without paying for it? Reviews haven't meant poo poo for CK2 since the original release date. I thought old gods was a good expansion, well rounded and loaded with content. This is not.

Moral of the story is don't buy Rajas of India folks.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Toadsniff posted:

Just curious how you'd suppose one play the DLC without paying for it? Reviews haven't meant poo poo for CK2 since the original release date. I thought old gods was a good expansion, well rounded and loaded with content. This is not.

Moral of the story is don't buy Rajas of India folks.

Ask people? People in this thread were quite honest about how broken Indian revolts were. Just show some patience and wait a day to see if it's actually interesting.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Also the Indian subcontinent is in the base game, you don't need RoI for it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

For the record, I am perfectly happy with my RoI purchase and am really enjoying it. But then I am a big India nut, so. :unsmith:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Toadsniff posted:

I didn't buy Rajas of India because i don't care about India or playing Hindus/Buddhist/Jain yet i don't know what you are complaining about since not buying the dlc doesn't prevent anyone from playing the game on the new map and from annexing India (which is a fun thing to do as a Persian or a Zoroastrian ruler*) as long as you don't convert to the three new religions.

*DLCs required!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 15, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Autonomous Monster posted:

For the record, I am perfectly happy with my RoI purchase and am really enjoying it. But then I am a big India nut, so. :unsmith:

As a big India nut, maybe you have some ideas regarding a syncretic Norse/Hindu faith and/or Indo-Norse culture?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think Rajas is one of the better dlcs myself. Whats so bad about it?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

You obviously aren't a DLC connoisseur like Toadsniff.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

It's not what's bad about it, it's what is good about it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Toadsniff posted:

It's not what's bad about it, it's what is good about it?

New religions, event, places to paint your pretty borders. It's fine if you don't like it but it has plenty of content.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

New religions, event, places to paint your pretty borders. It's fine if you don't like it but it has plenty of content.

Seriously not trying to be antagonistic here. But would it be safe to assume that all future DLC for this game will really only equate to some text boxes that adjust a skill +/- 1? Because when you break the new DLC down that is all that's going on. The new religions do not add anything of value from what I've played, playing a Jainist is no different than a Hinduist. They all have the same Intrigue events, same marriage laws, replace deer/boar with tiger and so on. The only reason you'd get anything more out of RoI than other expansion is if you have a boner for India.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

Seriously not trying to be antagonistic here. But would it be safe to assume that all future DLC for this game will really only equate to some text boxes that adjust a skill +/- 1? Because when you break the new DLC down that is all that's going on. The new religions do not add anything of value from what I've played, playing a Jainist is no different than a Hinduist. They all have the same Intrigue events, same marriage laws, replace deer/boar with tiger and so on. The only reason you'd get anything more out of RoI than other expansion is if you have a boner for India.

There's plenty of differences between Jainists and Hindus. Aren't you just unaware of them because you don't care, much like how hardly anyone realizes that Muslims get free ducal revocation? And what would be your ideal DLC, anyway?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Toadsniff posted:

Congrats, you just figured out the secret to DLC. It's all about taking your money. Did you know the Old Gods was the same way? :wow:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The way I see it is that the DLC is a way to recoup costs for all the work they did in increasing the map by 30%, tweaking/optimizing/fixing the engine, and the many other free additions that came with the patch. I'd happily support this model if it meant more support, additions, and expansions in the future.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its heavly bugged too, inst it? Or it was fixed in the last patch?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The ability to designate your heir is pretty awesome. And Hindus have to respect the caste system, which is another wrench thrown into marriage. Indians play very differently from other cultures, just like most of the new additions. I had great fun with my Indian game, though the whole Samrat Chakrivartin decision is lacking. (Especially the flag/color of the Empire of India) I don't think it's as much fun as playing as a viking, which I could do always, because sailing in rivers and raiding is the best, but still the ability to mod in heir designation is great. And again, 90% of the expansion was added in via a free patch, because Paradox is awesome.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its heavly bugged too, inst it? Or it was fixed in the last patch?

Sure, but isn't every big patch? The patch that accompanied SoA had some major problems too, such as the failure to rebalance event troop numbers to take into account the levy changes.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

There's plenty of differences between Jainists and Hindus. Aren't you just unaware of them because you don't care, much like how hardly anyone realizes that Muslims get free ducal revocation? And what would be your ideal DLC, anyway?

For starters increasing the roleplaying aspect of the game would be huge.

•Increasing the number of traits and interesting events on how those traits come into play. (these come in as a trickle; voice of jesus/satan, berserker, etc)

•More robust base building

•More politics and ability to manipulate public opinion

•Secret military squads for clandestine missions (would work with a spymaster but would be deployable like an army). I would love to see a whole slew of unique missions such as sabotage/impersonation.

•Less arbitrary assassinations, not based on percentage or dice rolling. (not plotting but the two should not be mutually exclusive, they should integrate these two)

Some other things I can't think of right now.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Congrats, you just figured out the secret to DLC. It's all about taking your money. Did you know the Old Gods was the same way? :wow:

Actually Old Gods added raiding and physically changed the entire world map by adding rivers. Had you said Sons of Abraham then I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. Old Gods is probably the most robust DLC CK2 has ever received, that was a bad example.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eternal antipopes, papal authority going into the thousand percents, Mongols spawning in millions if there were Jewish provinces- SoA release was a mess.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Toadsniff posted:

Actually Old Gods added raiding and physically changed the entire world map by adding rivers. Had you said Sons of Abraham then I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. Old Gods is probably the most robust DLC CK2 has ever received, that was a bad example.

Nope, the free patch gave you that. The Old Gods just made it available to play.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Toadsniff posted:

And Rajas added three new religions with new game mechanics and also physically changed the entire world map by expanding it 30%. Yet it was a bad DLC and Old Gods was a good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Nope, the free patch gave you that. The Old Gods just made it available to play.

You aren't really making a compelling argument here, if you can't play it without paying for it then my point stands. What you paid for in Old Gods is more than what you paid for for any other expansion.

• Locked thread