Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Because it's better than the alternatives.

Could you please elaborate?
I've found a couple of niggling issues between the Google's IMAP implementation and Outlook, I don't really think it's better than the alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Char posted:

Could you please elaborate?
I've found a couple of niggling issues between the Google's IMAP implementation and Outlook, I don't really think it's better than the alternatives.

The alternatives are just using the web client basically.

Outlook has issues no matter what its being used for. Its never been a close to perfect product.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

Apparently people with three years experience with mdm software are like the Holy Grail for recruiters.

So why aren't you contacting one?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

The alternatives are just using the web client basically.

Outlook has issues no matter what its being used for. Its never been a close to perfect product.

I'm still happy with mutt, but Thunderbird and Sparrow beat outlook if all you want is IMAP

Char
Jan 5, 2013

evol262 posted:

I'm still happy with mutt, but Thunderbird and Sparrow beat outlook if all you want is IMAP

I'm directly comparing Thunderbird and Office in my company, we're using Google for Business.
Outlook sometimes gets stuck synchronizing folders: when it's in this state, it's impossible to send, to move messages or to create new folders because the queue is occupied by a huge sync process.

Char fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 15, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Char posted:

I'm directly comparing Thunderbird and Office in my company, we're using Google for Business.
Outlook sometimes gets stuck synchronizing folders: when it's in this state, it's impossible to send, to move mails or to create new folders because the queue is occupied by a huge sync process.

Which version of outlook are you using? I have been using imap on 2013 and I haven't had an issue. I am syncing 3 different accounts as well.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Sickening posted:

Which version of outlook are you using? I have been using imap on 2013 and I haven't had an issue. I am syncing 3 different accounts as well.

2013, automatic updates enabled so I guess I've got the latest Office updates.

In this specific instance, I'm trying to move a colleague's account from a POP3 account to an IMAP one, I need to move the entire bulk of messages she has, subfolders included. It somehow doesn't consider a bunch of subfolders and it's not updating them. And in the meanwhile it's not sending messages: I've got a a "Synchronizing account..." activity in the activities window, and I have to stop it to actually send messages.

I believe Google's non-standard IMAP implementation has some faults, too. But I'm having no side-effects with Thunderbird.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So why aren't you contacting one?

I like having vacation time. I really don't want to be a contractor again.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Caged posted:

Here's your problem distilled down into one sentence. Outlook needs to be viewed as an Exchange client, and not a standalone PIM type application. If you aren't on Exchange then using Outlook will just cause you unnecessary hassle.

I'm going to bet the answer is "Outlook is what we've been using all along" and it dates back to when they did have an exchange server.

I tried really hard to get us onto google apps, but the gmail interface was literally too much for some people to deal with.

EDIT: and when I say some people, I mean the company at large.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 15, 2014

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

I tried really hard to get us onto google apps, but the gmail interface was literally too much for some people to deal with.

EDIT: and when I say some people, I mean the company at large.

I've managed to "sell" Thunderbird since it can actually find old messages while Outlook crashes.

The problem now is migrating 10 years old POP3 accounts, with lots of nested subfolders, onto IMAP. One has a 21 GB pst file, 127k messages :psyduck:

Char fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Char posted:

I've managed to "sell" Thunderbird since it can actually find old messages while Outlook crashes.

The problem now is migrating 10 years old POP3 accounts, with lots of nested subfolders, onto IMAP. One has a 21 GB pst file, 127k messages :psyduck:

Did you see the 100GB one I posted? Our average user is around 15GB :(

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

antisodachrist posted:

I like having vacation time. I really don't want to be a contractor again.

If there's as much demand for that skillset as you say, then there's someone out there who wants to bring someone in as a fulltime employee. Or you could come join the dark side and become consultant scum like me. I'm sure there's someone out there who specializes in that kind of stuff, and it can be a pretty sweet gig.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I keep running in to people who apparently have no idea what company they work for. In the past 24 hours I've gotten no less than five emails marked with high priority of people complaining that such-and-such's account isn't set up correctly and that I need to drop whatever I'm doing and do the needful. Looking at the errors, it's all super basic stuff like mispelling the person's name (we use first initial last name which is terrible) or they're manually typing in the email address instead of just using the address book and they're getting our company name wrong. How do you work somewhere for 10 years and not have any idea how to spell its name?

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Char posted:

Yeah Outlook has become pretty lovely with IMAP. We use it at work, but we are constantly running into syncs that just get stuck as the time goes up. Typically we can only fix it by remaking the profile.
I stopped using it because while I had 2013 on two computers with 2 separate email accounts that were on both, they were never in sync.

Delete an email on my desktop's outlook but it would still be listed on my phone and laptop.
Move an email on my laptop into another folder, still be in the original folder on my desktop and phone.
Any changes on my phone would be applied everywhere.

So between that, the infinite sync and missing emails in search results I've given up on it. Not to mention you can't correct folders mapping. Before we upgraded our mail server, I had two Junk folders, 'Junk' and 'Junk1'. Outlook made junk1 because it didn't understand that I already had that folder and I had no ability to change it.

Same with Sent. I had 'Sent Items' and 'Sent'. Thunderbird, Android and Roundcube would all write to the one that already existed but Outlook didn't like that and made its own folder. Having two sent folders was just annoying to deal with.

I just migrated someone over to Thunderbird today because they can't sync for the 3rd time since getting 2010 and they are missing emails in search and both reindexing and re creating the profile didn't resolve the issue.

gently caress Outlook.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

If there's as much demand for that skillset as you say, then there's someone out there who wants to bring someone in as a fulltime employee. Or you could come join the dark side and become consultant scum like me. I'm sure there's someone out there who specializes in that kind of stuff, and it can be a pretty sweet gig.

The hype for it may have died down for it, but I have not checked in a while. Everyone and their brother is coming out with their own mdm software. That or buying a smaller company (VMware buying Airwatch, IBM buying Fiberlink). I will probably test the waters soon after I tweak my resume a bit.

I support both MobileIron and Airwatch, but I have more experience with MobileIron.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

antisodachrist posted:

I support both MobileIron and Airwatch, but I have more experience with MobileIron.

My employer requires me to have a personal cell with MobileIron on it, and to be Always Available if needed.

Pissing me off: whoever thought it was a good idea to put business-critical processes in batch files.

And I can't blame the guy who edited them to make them needlessly arcane on his way out the door--undocumented, uncontrolled business-critical code? It's too tempting.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

meanieface posted:

My employer requires me to have a personal cell with MobileIron on it, and to be Always Available if needed.

poo poo that pisses me off: Bosses who don't know the difference between On-Call and On-beck-and-Call. :argh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

meanieface posted:

That would be super loving expensive if it was me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

That would be super loving expensive if it was me.

Yes. JUST SAY NO to being on-call 24/7 unless it is reflected in your compensation package. And it should be a huge goddamn reflection. Don't buy into bullshit about how the calls are rare or how you're not the first person they might call, etc.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
New guy was tasked with taking a physical inventory of all systems. While he's there, he is supposed to make sure OCS inventory is installed. If not, install it. This is a very simple process, as we already have a batch script that has all of the necessary switches/info. Unfortunately, he didn't use the batch script and instead manually installed it (WHY?). Today, we got an email from the person in charge of OCS saying that 98 new systems showed up without our facility tag.

Thankfully, we have PDQ deploy, so I was able to push out the correct install to almost all of the systems on the list. There was a small handful that I was unable to push to for whatever reason (PC was off/PDQ unable to connect), so he gets to revisit those systems. I've now added that task to my "New PC Deployment" package in PDQ, so it will be installed on all systems that I deploy.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes. JUST SAY NO to being on-call 24/7 unless it is reflected in your compensation package. And it should be a huge goddamn reflection. Don't buy into bullshit about how the calls are rare or how you're not the first person they might call, etc.
Doesn't that mean you can never get drunk unless you're on vacation? gently caress that.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Alereon posted:

Doesn't that mean you can never get drunk unless you're on vacation? gently caress that.

Even if you are on vacation they will still call you.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Misogynist posted:

What this guy is delivering to the stakeholder is transparency to the process, even if it's a bad process. This can be easily confused with results. If the project owner is taking this person at their word rather than the team members responsible for delivering, it may reflect a failure of the team members to set expectations and be open with the process. What may help is expressing a concern to the project owner, preferably from multiple team members, that the consultant is adding unnecessary work onto the project schedule despite the objections of the team and without communicating with the people who will actually be doing the work to obtain estimates -- even the most experienced managers understand this is Project Management 101 poo poo. At the very least, it might help you formalize a process for adding line items to the project that will make the project owner feel more involved.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

If he's not in your chain of command then tell him to piss off, and remind him that he was hired to do X. If he pushes it then perhaps upper management would be interested in knowing that the guy is seriously over-billing your company for services that were neither negotiated nor approved.

I guess the response to these posts kind of combine, he isn't really in my chain of command, however, occasionally he makes a valid point, usually he talks a load of nonsense...I'm happy enough to challenge and refute his nonsense so it's not too bad, just unnecessary and frustrating when I could be busy with something productive

When I say valid point an example was that during this project our company changed AV product, he spotted a client with the old AV client on and makes a big deal about needing it updating - yes you are correct - but - lets not add it to the plan then have to report on it when its complete etc - how about I just do it here and now and then it's fixed!

The consultant seems to be pitching our IT docs to our customer as a product we bought from our software vendor so the vendor provides the server, the software et al as a complete package and support the lot - which couldn't be further from the truth - we as am IT dept run the servers/network/AD/clients/etc and the software company just install their stuff on a server we provide. I guess the long term risk here is the consultant pushes his ideas upon management and they think why do we have these IT people...but that's unlikely I suppose.

Luckily our software vendor is having none of it and it's all about to go pop because they can't shoehorn what they want into something that isn't a blatant lie - I have raised this with my IT line manager who left the product as he will at least understand what is happening and sound the right alarm bells with management.

I wasn't able to catch Project owner today but I can easily put this issue to him as if Consultant adds more work into the already tough plan, we will only demonstrate to our customer that we are struggling so can we tell him to wind it in a bit. I've already hinted at this but I need to hammer the nail home to make it loud and clear ;)

The other entity in this grand mess is the guy who brought the consultant on, our InfoSec guy, I don't know if usually InfoSec people don't have technical backgrounds but our guy doesn't really which makes him... fun to deal with. He is a swine for having strange agendas and also sneaking through things on purchase orders which were never really approved. I think I can keep him largely out of this dilemma at the moment though - as long as project owner feeds back that Consultant needs to stick to his documentation job and not get involved in day to day IT work then it should be ok.

I suppose I've never really been involved in such a big project before so the politics is a new game to me!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Alereon posted:

This is a misconception that needs to stop.

I am on call nearly 24/7, I get paid accordingly, and I am drunk as often as I feel like it. If they call and I'm too drunk, then I can either drunkenly stumble through the problem if I'm near a computer, or they can call the gently caress someone else.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Did you see the 100GB one I posted? Our average user is around 15GB :(

Nope. :stonklol:
My migration got stuck 2 more times and it's probably stuck again. And a folder got updated... bad, I dunno, there's a bunch of FOLDER/SUBFOLDER#/SUBSUB## around.
edit: yeah, time to get a beer and hit the office. Quit and restart that crap.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

angry armadillo posted:

The other entity in this grand mess is the guy who brought the consultant on, our InfoSec guy, I don't know if usually InfoSec people don't have technical backgrounds but our guy doesn't really which makes him... fun to deal with. He is a swine for having strange agendas and also sneaking through things on purchase orders which were never really approved. I think I can keep him largely out of this dilemma at the moment though - as long as project owner feeds back that Consultant needs to stick to his documentation job and not get involved in day to day IT work then it should be ok.

Infosec guys are always fun because you never know what type you are going to get. Weirdest IT field ever.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

Infosec guys are always fun because you never know what type you are going to get. Weirdest IT field ever.
My director hired me a security guy - I don't know what a security guy is so I just made him a sys admin. :shobon:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
The only security folks at the DoD contractor I work for are the "pres butan git report" types. None of them are technical in the least. Supposedly our government wants to hire 6000 IT security people over the next couple of years but has no idea where they're going to come from or how they're going to be trained.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: Bosses who don't know the difference between On-Call and On-beck-and-Call. :argh:

Or between work-life separation (thing of the past) and work-life balance (necessary).

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

I once got a nitpick from our security guy on a solution proposal that revealed that he didn't know that Oracle databases use SQL. So when I'd written about the need for firewall openings for "SQL ports" he thought I'd forgotten the "MS" first even after a two hour meeting discussing the Oracle database.

He's also asked for a risk analysis before approving opening port 123 (NTP) internally from a small new VLAN to a DC. :shobon:

And there's the time he wanted to go after a coworker for having "gained unauthorized access" when he sent an incident report about a forgotten any-any firewall rule with an example of the data he got out... Said coworker was a domain admin...

Oh and both he and the other security guy are on vacation for two weeks. And they're the only two people able to approve new firewall changes.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

meanieface posted:

Pissing me off: whoever thought it was a good idea to put business-critical processes in batch files.

Man oh man, this poo poo has caused me a lot of heartburn over the years. Same thing when someone needs some new functionality of some sort and says "I'll just write something in VBScript to do that." I used to do a lot of vbs back in the day, and the mere thought of it just makes my skin crawl now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

angry armadillo posted:

Lets not add it to the plan then have to report on it when its complete etc - how about I just do it here and now and then it's fixed!

Oh no, document everything you do to every machine. Saves a world of headaches later, plus it gives you handy metrics for calculating how much work you do.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is a misconception that needs to stop.

I am on call nearly 24/7, I get paid accordingly, and I am drunk as often as I feel like it. If they call and I'm too drunk, then I can either drunkenly stumble through the problem if I'm near a computer, or they can call the gently caress someone else.
I dunno man if you're allowed to tell them you don't want to do it and to call someone else it doesn't really sound like you're "on-call" to me. Then again I've always worked places where being on-call was taken seriously and managers actually made an effort to have fair on-call schedules that gave people time for a life. To me being on-call means being ready to work at a moment's notice, which means you don't really have "down" time even when you're not being called. I certainly couldn't live like that. Obviously it's up to you if you think you can maintain while troubleshooting issues.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Oh no, document everything you do to every machine. Saves a world of headaches later, plus it gives you handy metrics for calculating how much work you do.

Sure - I'd give a helpdesk ticket to my assistant to re-image the machine because it's obviously some test thing from when my old boss was around. That way we know whats happened and can get the metrics.

But it would be inappropriate to feed that into a project plan that gets reported on every week with our customer. They don't need to know about 1 random PC someone was messing with that didn't even go into production etc... The customer is so fussy they would start asking what is going on, do the new tasks mean something hasn't been planned properly, does this additional task mean there is slippage elsewhere etc etc they are so crazy about planning it actually... is harming production :D

This consultant asked me for my firewall configs then started telling me it was all wrong because there were loads of missing rules... I didn't configure the firewall myself but the guy who did talked me through it when he was done and I'm sure it was all ok.
I looked and yes, it was all fine - why ask me for configs if you don't even understand them! I don't really have time to sit and translate for you when you are getting paid considerably much more than I do!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Alereon posted:

I dunno man if you're allowed to tell them you don't want to do it and to call someone else it doesn't really sound like you're "on-call" to me. Then again I've always worked places where being on-call was taken seriously and managers actually made an effort to have fair on-call schedules that gave people time for a life. To me being on-call means being ready to work at a moment's notice, which means you don't really have "down" time even when you're not being called. I certainly couldn't live like that. Obviously it's up to you if you think you can maintain while troubleshooting issues.

For us, it's kinda like being able to work at a moments notice, but at the same time we're allowed to live. I mean, if you're out to dinner with the family at a restaurant and get a page, it's not like you have to drop everything and go in. We have to respond (call the end user) within 15 mins. After that, we have something like an hour to begin working on the issue. So, while we can't be drunk, we can have at least a drink after hours to relax.

We also have a backup on-call person, though they almost never have to do anything. If the primary misses the page, after 15 mins it will page the secondary who then is supposed to call the user to see if the primary has responded or not. If not, they'll usually see if they can get ahold of the primary before trying to work on the issue.

That being said, it's entirely possible that the person paging will be an rear end in a top hat and still try to get you in trouble for taking too long even if we're within SLA. Thankfully, the director is pretty good about telling them that we responded and fixed the issue well withing the time frame we're allowed. (I work in healthcare I.T., if that matters)

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

TWBalls posted:

For us, it's kinda like being able to work at a moments notice, but at the same time we're allowed to live. I mean, if you're out to dinner with the family at a restaurant and get a page, it's not like you have to drop everything and go in. We have to respond (call the end user) within 15 mins. After that, we have something like an hour to begin working on the issue. So, while we can't be drunk, we can have at least a drink after hours to relax.

We also have a backup on-call person, though they almost never have to do anything. If the primary misses the page, after 15 mins it will page the secondary who then is supposed to call the user to see if the primary has responded or not. If not, they'll usually see if they can get ahold of the primary before trying to work on the issue.

That being said, it's entirely possible that the person paging will be an rear end in a top hat and still try to get you in trouble for taking too long even if we're within SLA. Thankfully, the director is pretty good about telling them that we responded and fixed the issue well withing the time frame we're allowed. (I work in healthcare I.T., if that matters)

Very similar here. We get calls from tier one and have 10 minutes to respond to the user, 1 hour to start working. We're also two people on-call but here the calls go round robin between us (and fails over to the other person if no answer in 15 seconds). Always satisfying when working a ticket at night to see the other on-call change from yellow to green in communicator because the next call came in, at least then I know I wouldn't have gotten a full nights sleep anyhow. :v:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

TWBalls posted:

I'm really glad I got out of healthcare IT before being on call. It's always "FIX IT NOW PEOPLE ARE DYING."

Here is on call too eventually but it's second line support and gets a sizeable bonus every night you take any call of any sort. I want to be on call.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
At my place, we are all technically "on-call" 24/7/365 for the systems we manage, since there isn't a lot of overlap. Thankfully, it's pretty uncommon to get called except in actual oh-god-everything-is-on-fire emergencies, though. We also have a weekly "NOC" shift we rotate through, which means once every eight weeks or so we get to spend our evenings after work and weekends actively watching our monitoring system until midnight every day, which is kind of a pain.

The real pain, though, is all of planned weekend work we have to do, sometimes with a couple weeks' notice, sometimes a day or two, so trying to plan any non-work activities on the weekends is pretty much a crapshoot. Usually we'll end up doing some major work from like 9PM Saturday till 6AM Sunday at least once or twice a month, and minor projects over another weekend or two in between. Makes it kind of hard to find time for chores and errands sometimes, never mind anything else. Really looking forward to my trip overseas in a few weeks, where I won't have a computer and no one will be able to reach me for two whole weeks in a row... :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dennyk posted:

At my place, we are all technically "on-call" 24/7/365 for the systems we manage, since there isn't a lot of overlap. Thankfully, it's pretty uncommon to get called except in actual oh-god-everything-is-on-fire emergencies, though. We also have a weekly "NOC" shift we rotate through, which means once every eight weeks or so we get to spend our evenings after work and weekends actively watching our monitoring system until midnight every day, which is kind of a pain.

The real pain, though, is all of planned weekend work we have to do, sometimes with a couple weeks' notice, sometimes a day or two, so trying to plan any non-work activities on the weekends is pretty much a crapshoot. Usually we'll end up doing some major work from like 9PM Saturday till 6AM Sunday at least once or twice a month, and minor projects over another weekend or two in between. Makes it kind of hard to find time for chores and errands sometimes, never mind anything else. Really looking forward to my trip overseas in a few weeks, where I won't have a computer and no one will be able to reach me for two whole weeks in a row... :v:

Wait, are you telling me that every 2 months you work 15 hour shift at work for 7 solid days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

angry armadillo posted:

I don't know if usually InfoSec people don't have technical backgrounds

:stonklol:

An infosec person without a technical background isn't an infosec person, they're a script kiddy. AT BEST.

Basically, you're hosed. This guy managed to actually convince someone that he's competent, so he's going to hang on for dear life and throw busses at you to throw you under if you ever try to get rid of him without him monumentally personally messing up.