Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
Nice, thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Goons know of anyone hiring? My buddy's school got bought and the new owners are asking him to leave.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
A ringing endorsement!

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Time to move to a new parish, eh?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bloodnose posted:

A ringing endorsement!

He's been there for four years without a complaint. The new owners don't believe in silly things like paying their employees and during the buyout process encouraged him to renegotiate his existing contract down to a more reasonable salary of 50,000nt a month. He decided to stick to the one he had signed at which point they started interviewing people secretly and then surprised him on payday with "congratulations, you get unpaid vacation starting at the end of April!"

Several parents threatened to withdraw their kids from the school if he left, but the school didn't care.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

He's been there for four years without a complaint. The new owners don't believe in silly things like paying their employees and during the buyout process encouraged him to renegotiate his existing contract down to a more reasonable salary of 50,000nt a month. He decided to stick to the one he had signed at which point they started interviewing people secretly and then surprised him on payday with "congratulations, you get unpaid vacation starting at the end of April!"

Several parents threatened to withdraw their kids from the school if he left, but the school didn't care.
LaborRelationsInTaiwan.txt

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Whats a normal wage for ESL like in Taiwan? I realize 50k is probably too little, but that's a good deal less than I've seen offered in rural places at chain schools.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

Whats a normal wage for ESL like in Taiwan? I realize 50k is probably too little, but that's a good deal less than I've seen offered in rural places at chain schools.

50,000nt is definitely on the low side, but plenty of people are willing to accept it for whatever reason so nothing is driving the wages up. My friend was telling me that even 10 years ago, he could expect to make 100,000nt a month. There's apparently been a huge increase in the number of teachers looking for work, so supply exceeds demand at the moment. You probably shouldn't take a job that offers less than 60,000.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

50,000nt is definitely on the low side, but plenty of people are willing to accept it for whatever reason so nothing is driving the wages up. My friend was telling me that even 10 years ago, he could expect to make 100,000nt a month. There's apparently been a huge increase in the number of teachers looking for work, so supply exceeds demand at the moment. You probably shouldn't take a job that offers less than 60,000.

Wow, those are some reasonably high teaching salaries to expect. 50,000 is about standard. There are probably very few months of the year where I top 50k. The rest are much closer to 40k.

I think it's instructive that you're saying "even 10 years ago" as if that wasn't the time of the wild west in Taiwan where you could expect to be paid over 100k for waggling your dick at a classroom full of screaming kids for an hour with a fake degree from Thailand.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

My friend was telling me that even 10 years ago, he could expect to make 100,000nt a month.
Your friend is loving delusional.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

Wow, those are some reasonably high teaching salaries to expect. 50,000 is about standard. There are probably very few months of the year where I top 50k. The rest are much closer to 40k.

I think it's instructive that you're saying "even 10 years ago" as if that wasn't the time of the wild west in Taiwan where you could expect to be paid over 100k for waggling your dick at a classroom full of screaming kids for an hour with a fake degree from Thailand.

Well, I should clarify that these are different friends. The one who was previously pulling in 100,000nt a month now owns his own school. The guy who didn't want to take a pay cut to 50,000 was making around 70,000 I believe, but had gotten to there with 4 years of teaching at the same school. I also think salaries in Taipei are lower than they are in the sticks for obvious reasons.

TetsuoTW posted:

Your friend is loving delusional.

I don't know, the guy who was doing that well for himself now has his own school with a waiting list, so clearly he's not completely delusional.

I also know other guys who easily make 100,000nt a month, but aside from a director position they all speak Chinese and work at schools that require foreign teachers to be bilingual.

As a further aside, the friend of mine who is looking for work is willing to take a pay cut, he just wasn't willing to take a pay cut on an existing contract with owners who immediately came in and told him to stop sucking without even watching his classes.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 15, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

quote:

Well, I should clarify that these are different friends. The one who was previously pulling in 100,000nt a month now owns his own school. The guy who didn't want to take a pay cut to 50,000 was making around 70,000 I believe, but had gotten to there with 4 years of teaching at the same school. I also think salaries in Taipei are lower than they are in the sticks for obvious reasons.

Yeah, the sticks tend to pay more for foreigners because there are not many foreigners who can handle the soul crushing boredom of living out there. Unless of course they're married and have good Chinese and then they'd be getting paid more in the city anyway for doing something with their Chinese like translating or editing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, the sticks tend to pay more for foreigners because there are not many foreigners who can handle the soul crushing boredom of living out there. Unless of course they're married and have good Chinese and then they'd be getting paid more in the city anyway for doing something with their Chinese like translating or editing.

I'm curious if you are hourly or salary. The school my friend works for does salaries with a minimum and maximum number of hours. 50,000nt would be his guaranteed, pre-tax income and you can bet your rear end that they'd make sure he never went over the maximum number of hours and earned any overtime pay.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

We do hourly, like most schools do afaik. We had salaried positions for foreign branch managers for a while but that went down the toilet. 50 grand is the normal monthly salary for a teaching job. Hourly rates range from 500-600 dollars an hour to start and maybe up to like 700 an hour later on. If you want to do privates (most do) you can pull in about a grand an hour.

There are better places to work than this and worse, money-wise. But if your friend just needs a job he could always apply at David's. (Assuming he's not a dick.)

http://www.david.com.tw/

Office to apply to is located at Nanjing Fuxing mrt station across the street from the Brother hotel.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

We do hourly, like most schools do afaik. We had salaried positions for foreign branch managers for a while but that went down the toilet. 50 grand is the normal monthly salary for a teaching job. Hourly rates range from 500-600 dollars an hour to start and maybe up to like 700 an hour later on. If you want to do privates (most do) you can pull in about a grand an hour.

There are better places to work than this and worse, money-wise. But if your friend just needs a job he could always apply at David's. (Assuming he's not a dick.)

http://www.david.com.tw/

Office to apply to is located at Nanjing Fuxing mrt station across the street from the Brother hotel.

I'll pass it along. I don't think he's a dick and Tetsuo and him seemed to get along over beers.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

As a bonus, he may win the right to be interviewed at ICRT by me!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'll be sure to teach him the secret handshake.

Also, I was under the impression from this very thread that editing/translation work didn't actually pay that well. All of the guys I knew who weren't foreign hires for a corporation with a decent income were the ones working at elite cram schools. That seems to be the best route to go if your Chinese is good.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, I wish I made 50k a month, that would be a nice step up.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, I wish I made 50k a month, that would be a nice step up.

I heard someone at CNA say the Taipei Times folk make upwards of 60k- I'm surprised that isn't true for China Post??

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Taipei Times gets all that sweet, sweet pan-green money for printing propaganda, so of course they have more cash to throw around. Meanwhile China Post has to beg companies to run advertorials and take side jobs editing material from international shows.

gently caress TAIWAN FASTENER

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, I was under the impression from this very thread that editing/translation work didn't actually pay that well.
When it's good, it's incredible. Like at one point last year I made about NT$180,000 for about a month and a half's work.

When it's bad, it's pitiful. At the same time I was waiting for the client above to pay up, there was one month I had to borrow rent money.

Editing, from what I hear, is more consistent work for a lower pay rate.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'll be sure to teach him the secret handshake.

Also, I was under the impression from this very thread that editing/translation work didn't actually pay that well. All of the guys I knew who weren't foreign hires for a corporation with a decent income were the ones working at elite cram schools. That seems to be the best route to go if your Chinese is good.

Translation doesn't pay especially well anywhere. Thanks to the internet fees for it are basically the same everywhere and unless a company decides they need an in-house translator it's not the most lucrative career. The only person I know who does pretty well is in China, but she has native fluency in Russian and German and has fantastic English and Chinese so she can cover a lot of bases. If you're just a CN<->EN person it's not gonna be so great.

I made well over the equivalent of 50k NTD (as a salary) a month when I was working for a cram school in the mainland, and that was in a 2nd tier city which was a lot cheaper to live in than Taipei. I'm kind of surprised the wages in Taiwan are so low. I was under the impression it was a lot better (or at least the same) than the mainland for some reason.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I misread nanjing fuxing brother hotel as ninja loving brothel hotel.

Welp

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The super childish part of me really wants to one day live on a Fuxing St. in Hong Kong, because then my address would include loving Guy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

I made well over the equivalent of 50k NTD (as a salary) a month when I was working for a cram school in the mainland, and that was in a 2nd tier city which was a lot cheaper to live in than Taipei. I'm kind of surprised the wages in Taiwan are so low. I was under the impression it was a lot better (or at least the same) than the mainland for some reason.

I know guys that were easily pulling in 80-100,000nt a month doing cram school work, but they were highly proficient in Chinese and worked very long hours. These cram schools are not the norm though. Most foreigners come in through HESS or Shane and are started around 550nt an hour or less. The schools treat them like replaceable office equipment and emphasize curriculum over educator.

I'm an odd duck in that my take home is only about 50,000, but I also don't pay rent, so I make out better than a lot of other people do. The downside is that I live in the middle of nowhere and get stir crazy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

The downside is that I live in the middle of nowhere and get stir crazy.
That's just sobriety kicking in.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Taipei Times gets all that sweet, sweet pan-green money for printing propaganda, so of course they have more cash to throw around. Meanwhile China Post has to beg companies to run advertorials and take side jobs editing material from international shows.

gently caress TAIWAN FASTENER

I worked at RTI for awhile, but I quit because it was all blue propaganda all the time (with poo poo pay).
Propaganda should at least pay better than 35,000 NTD.
I would have thought China Post got a lot of blue money though? Guess not?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Barto posted:

I would have thought China Post got a lot of blue money though? Guess not?

Why would we? The paper's not pro-KMT and hasn't been for years.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Why would we? The paper's not pro-KMT and hasn't been for years.

Really? Ok, the last time someone brought the paper up they mentioned it was a pro-KMT paper. They must have been operating under old information.
So what's the readership for it? I see Taipei Times in a lot of convenience stores, but I've only ever noticed the Post in NTU library a few times.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Nobody actually reads it.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Nobody actually reads it.

Oh.
:(

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Hey now, I got a copy of the China Post once when I stayed at a hotel. One and only time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The China Post is about as fair and balanced as Xinhua. It carefully and objectively reports all of the facts that don't make the ruling party look bad.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Five years ago, maybe? I sure as hell don't see that today. As in, right at this moment with the story I'm editing about the ETC fuckups.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If you 看得懂 the Chinese, I've been finding The Journalist (新新聞) a pretty good read for news and current events type stuff these past few weeks.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Five years ago, maybe? I sure as hell don't see that today. As in, right at this moment with the story I'm editing about the ETC fuckups.

Is it different from the story the other day which introduced it as a thing people were worried about and then concluded in the same paragraph that it wasn't worth worrying about because it would only affect criminals anyway?

Not saying that's not the case, just that it's a weird example of how the paper lacks bias. I mean I've been here for 7 years and haven't noticed any marked change in the China post during that time.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Most foreigners come in through HESS or Shane and are started around 550nt an hour or less. The schools treat them like replaceable office equipment and emphasize curriculum over educator.

Hess starts at 580/hour, which works out to 45,000 on a 20 hour contract. I thought most schools start a bit about that, 600/hour at a minimum.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

Hess starts at 580/hour, which works out to 45,000 on a 20 hour contract. I thought most schools start a bit about that, 600/hour at a minimum.

45,000 a month? You do get an apartment or living arrangements right? So how much does a dish washer make, and how much does a regular office worker make?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think McDonald's and the like pay like NT$150 an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

caberham posted:

45,000 a month? You do get an apartment or living arrangements right? So how much does a dish washer make, and how much does a regular office worker make?

Last I checked those places do not provide housing or other perks.