Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Honestly how often do injuries happen during pro day type workouts? I think people might be overreacting to something we don't see happen very often.

Sure it might not happen often, but would you like to be the player who missed out on millions of dollars, or possibly an entire career, because you tore your ACL doing the drill that they already have hours of tape on? It owuldn't surprise me if more agents advised their clients to skip an unnecessary activity that carries a slight risk to their future, and I'd support them in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A lot of changes in football happen as the result of outliers anyway, so it's not that unusual.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Former FSU RB James Wilder Jr. is apparently hoping to be able to pick the team he plays for in the pros.

http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/story/former-fsu-star-james-wilder-jr-arrested-in-tampa-041414

Go Noles!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Febreeze posted:

Honestly how often do injuries happen during pro day type workouts? I think people might be overreacting to something we don't see happen very often.

Last year like two or three guys tore muscles during the bench press, hamstrings get pulled and strained all the time during almost every other drill. Honestly, the QB throwing is like the only drill where I have never heard of an injury before. Its not super common, but it does happen and one way to make it happen is to subject them to it over and over and over.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Last year like two or three guys tore muscles during the bench press, hamstrings get pulled and strained all the time during almost every other drill. Honestly, the QB throwing is like the only drill where I have never heard of an injury before. Its not super common, but it does happen and one way to make it happen is to subject them to it over and over and over.

It's probably better for a prototypical QB, who ran a mostly ground-attack in college, who's got poo poo on film and 1 combine/pro-day performance, and all of the "measurables" to not throw balls in private work-outs. He'd probably up his draft stock, and nobody wants that. They might get drafted by the Browns/Jags/Raiders.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Big names doing pro days gets eyes on lesser known players from that school and some players from small colleges in the area that attend.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Big names doing pro days gets eyes on lesser known players from that school and some players from small colleges in the area that attend.

this is how the steelers discovered antonio brown

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I understand its a good showcase, but there is a difference between doing the Combine and then your school's pro-day, versus doing those two then doing private work outs for 7-8 teams individually. Like Bridgewater said he was done doing private workouts and I don't blame him. You have had multiple chances to see him and plenty of game film. Interviews are one thing, but workouts seem kind of odd to me unless you are looking at something very specific.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Are the combine workouts somehow more damaging than the regular workouts or practices they'll have to do hundreds of times after being drafted (where people also get hurt quite often)?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dusseldorf posted:

Are the combine workouts somehow more damaging than the regular workouts or practices they'll have to do hundreds of times after being drafted (where people also get hurt quite often)?

No, but regular workouts and practices are after they've already gotten the job so if they get injured it isn't as likely to ruin their life forever.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Im such a massive prick because when I read that news I immediately said "Awesome, Miami can grab him in the 3rd now and laugh about it in a year for getting a steal"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

Well, they typically don't run 40 yard wind sprints in practice, nor do they try to bench a certain weight as much as possible. Factor in that this is a job interview and people are going to strain themselves beyond their typical limits. Basically, a "normal" workout for these guys doesn't really contain any of the drills done in the combine, they aren't workouts, they are tests.

And yes, people do get hurt in practice all the time. That is one reason why there is a limited number of practices. Same reason why they should limit the number of workouts for a player, but that will never happen because gently caress the labor force, they are plentiful and were appropriately compensated with a scholarship that taught them nothing and only covered 70% of their cost of attendance while making their school millions.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
When something is A. unnecessary given the other data you have access to and B. carries a risk of injury then you perhaps should consider doing away with it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Brannock posted:

When something is A. unnecessary given the other data you have access to and B. carries a risk of injury then you perhaps should consider doing away with it.

plenty of players say they are done do private workouts, the problem is that when they do that you have Cowherd and Bayless calling them lazy good for nothing darkies* and people believe it.

*they very rarely say darkies, but you know they are thinking it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I highly doubt Darkie is the word they're thinking.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I highly doubt Darkie is the word they're thinking.

I have to give some benefit of doubt. Otherwise I am in their territory.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

swickles posted:

plenty of players say they are done do private workouts, the problem is that when they do that you have Cowherd and Bayless calling them lazy good for nothing darkies* and people believe it.

*they very rarely say darkies, but you know they are thinking it

Yeah, but people here means low-info viewers who A) Didn't need much encouragement, and B) Don't loving matter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

An interesting observation:

This is among the dumbest loving things I've ever read.

Next you're gonna tell me they should avoid contact drills in practice all together. Unlucky injuries happen. poo poo happens. People are stupid.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
solid take caller

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rap posted:

solid take caller

I host the show

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You realize when you declare "unlucky injuries happen. poo poo happens" you're kind of acknowledging that the less time on the field, the less likely those injuries are to happen?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rap posted:

You realize when you declare "unlucky injuries happen. poo poo happens" you're kind of acknowledging that the less time on the field, the less likely those injuries are to happen?

Yes but I'm also saying that out of a draft class of 300+ players only a couple have suffered an injury in the draft process. That's a percentage so low that it doesn't warrant the reaction that they should get rid of drills at pro days or anywhere else.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
How smart does Kelvin Benjamin look now? :smuggo:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Doltos posted:

Yes but I'm also saying that out of a draft class of 300+ players only a couple have suffered an injury in the draft process. That's a percentage so low that it doesn't warrant the reaction that they should get rid of drills at pro days or anywhere else.

I think it warrants high draft picks who only stand to lose questioning whether they really need to do individual work outs. At the combine and pro-days you have a big audience and regimented platform to work off of so the benefit to risk ratio is within reason. Individual workouts is where it goes out the window. If you are already projected to be a early to mid first round pick what do you really have to gain with an individual workout? Meanwhile there is a chance (however remote) you could jeopardize millions.

Edit: Yeah just in case it's unclear I'm referring more to Clowney than a guy like Benjamin. What Benjamin did was irresponsible. At least show up to be apologetic to those who came out to see you.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If you're like Andrew Luck in 2012 and you know that there is a 99.999% chance you go number one and if for some reason you don't you're dropping all the way to #2, go ahead and skip pro day activities and poo poo. But this wasn't one of those cases, he's jockeying for a higher spot still.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The point of the individual workouts isn't really to see the player do the drills and stuff again. The thing that teams are looking for is how well the player prepares himself for the workout. Keeping up your combine-level of fitness and readiness all spring can be a decent indicator of how hard a player will work in the offseason when he's a pro.

It is obviously up to the players if they want to do this stuff or not, but it seems to me like if you've got a chance to impress a team and jump up some picks then the injury risk is very much worth it. I mean, you're working out anyway and your chances of injury there are probably about the same.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Detroit_Dogg posted:

If you're like Andrew Luck in 2012 and you know that there is a 99.999% chance you go number one and if for some reason you don't you're dropping all the way to #2, go ahead and skip pro day activities and poo poo. But this wasn't one of those cases, he's jockeying for a higher spot still.

This is pretty much the situation Clowney is presenting isn't it?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

The point of the individual workouts isn't really to see the player do the drills and stuff again. The thing that teams are looking for is how well the player prepares himself for the workout. Keeping up your combine-level of fitness and readiness all spring can be a decent indicator of how hard a player will work in the offseason when he's a pro.

Well they also would like to see the player perform in person. There's a complete difference between watching tape and being next to a guy.

Girl With Huge Tits posted:

This is pretty much the situation Clowney is presenting isn't it?

In a perfect world, yes, but DEs usually drop behind QBs, OTs, and WRs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Well they also would like to see the player perform in person. There's a complete difference between watching tape and being next to a guy.
I thought that movie was good, but I'd REALLY know if it was good if I was there on the set while it was being filmed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I thought that movie was good, but I'd REALLY know if it was good if I was there on the set while it was being filmed.

It is called the eye test for a reason, Quest. You gots to see it with your eye, not with the same screen that displays misleading information like numbers. :jerkbag:

I actually understand Doltos point there, but I still stand by the players who decide it isn't worth jeopardizing their future.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Speaking of individual workouts, Bridgewater is still at the Vikings' facility, meaning he's been there since Saturday.

Is it normal for potential draft targets to be hosted for more than a day like this?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Candiru posted:

Speaking of individual workouts, Bridgewater is still at the Vikings' facility, meaning he's been there since Saturday.

Is it normal for potential draft targets to be hosted for more than a day like this?

Did you see his Wonderlic score? He probably can't find his way out of the facility.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I know you're trying to be a smart rear end but there's a reason people watch plays like Cats and Phantom both recorded and in person on Broadway.

Regardless they're two separate things. Camera angles for game tape are almost always sky cam/stands footage and are completely different than seeing someone up close and in person. I'm sure Clowney's 40 would look even more impressive in person than it does from the combine recording.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Brannigans Law posted:

How smart does Kelvin Benjamin look now? :smuggo:

I was pretty close to agreeing with this until I realized that he knew a coach had flown in for the sole purpose to see him workout.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chichevache posted:

It is called the eye test for a reason, Quest. You gots to see it with your eye, not with the same screen that displays misleading information like numbers. :jerkbag:

I actually understand Doltos point there, but I still stand by the players who decide it isn't worth jeopardizing their future.
I understand it too, but honestly, there's no substitute for actual game tape. One of the things that's happened this year as a result of the draft being an extra month away is that scouts are actually getting a chance to digest the film on players, which is why things are so fluid. If the NFL Draft was this month, I think Bortles would have gone #1, but because there's been so much extra time, I think Bortles will fall. It's just too much time for The Love of the Frame to sustain his position, and when you actually put on the tape, the flaws pop out at you. You see a QB that is not "a poor man's Andrew Luck", who isn't ready to start in week 1, which is not who you want to be drafting at #1, if any top 5 pick.

Similarly I think that other quarterback prospects have started to rise because now there's been the time to give their tape the same amount of dedication as the top quarterbacks. And now Tom Savage suddenly has a bunch of workouts scheduled because everyone's said "whoa, we didn't see this tape yet, where did this guy come from". But the game tape was always there. If the NFL Draft was this month though, none of this happens.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 15, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I understand it too, but honestly, there's no substitute for actual game tape. One of the things that's happened this year as a result of the draft being an extra month away is that scouts are actually getting a chance to digest the film on players, which is why things are so fluid. If the NFL Draft was this month, I think Bortles would have gone #1, but because there's been so much extra time, I think Bortles will fall. It's just too much time for The Love of the Frame to sustain his position, and when you actually put on the tape, the flaws pop out at you. You see a QB that is not ready to start in week 1, which is not who you want to be drafting at #1, if any top 5 pick.

Maybe. You figure the draft process goes into full motion at the end of December so that gives teams four months of many people viewing tape for 8+ hours a day. A scout can easily blow through and analyze tape of a full season of one player in a day because a game produces about 8-10 minutes of tape for one person.

The extra time may give scouts more time to re-evaluate what their strategy might be, but I think it's safe to say that by the time the combine is over teams know exactly who they want to target.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I understand it too, but honestly, there's no substitute for actual game tape. One of the things that's happened this year as a result of the draft being an extra month away is that scouts are actually getting a chance to digest the film on players, which is why things are so fluid. If the NFL Draft was this month, I think Bortles would have gone #1, but because there's been so much extra time, I think Bortles will fall. It's just too much time for The Love of the Frame to sustain his position, and when you actually put on the tape, the flaws pop out at you. You see a QB that is not "a poor man's Andrew Luck", who isn't ready to start in week 1, which is not who you want to be drafting at #1, if any top 5 pick.

If you're a team seriously looking at drafting a QB in the first round, having an extra month to digest game film isn't going to make much of a difference in your final choice. It's just an extra month for kids to injure themselves working out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dunno, I think that players fall through the cracks and I think that some players teams talk themselves into, but an extra month is a pretty loving long time, to talk yourself into taking someone, and for the players who fell through the cracks to stay obscure. I know that scouts have studied the tape on even 7th round guys, but it's a full extra month, and no one is sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 15, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Similarly I think that other quarterback prospects have started to rise because now there's been the time to give their tape the same amount of dedication as the top quarterbacks. And now Tom Savage suddenly has a bunch of workouts scheduled because everyone's said "whoa, we didn't see this tape yet, where did this guy come from". But the game tape was always there. If the NFL Draft was this month though, none of this happens.

I guess I'm not so upset about the draft being pushed back anymore in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I dunno, I think that players fall through the cracks and I think that some players teams talk themselves into, but an extra month is a pretty loving long time, to talk yourself into taking someone, and for the players who fell through the cracks to stay obscure. I know that scouts have studied the tape on even 7th round guys, but it's a full extra month, and no one is sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

I think that extra month is going to have the most impact on mid-late round picks, because you've got extra time to find diamonds in the rough.

• Locked thread