Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I am surprised Arrange By Penis hasn't come up again. Didn't someone in an old thread update the code for it a couple years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

angry armadillo posted:

My boss told me about a prank where he would remotely increase the double click delay to something massive so the user would click, see something not load, that's strange... Try again... Wtf... Click click click... 30 seconds later a load of program's appear.

I never checked to see if that's possible or if it was just a story

It is entirely possible. It also used to be the most annoying thing because EVERYONE at my work figured out how to do it, and would do it anytime ANYONE left their workstation unattended... so every time it happened to new people, they would be confused as hell...

Luckily I wasn't the IT person at that job. I was just product support. The IT guys went through so much poo poo there.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

blackswordca posted:

Occasionally you will also have your desktop rotated as well.

Did this to a coworker once (you work at a college once and this doesn't even phase you anymore) and was somewhat nonplussed when he couldn't figure out how to fix it himself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If we're speaking of silly image macros in the workplace...

The VP of security sent me this in an E-Mail which pretty much perfectly summarized our day:

Avast! was flagging our homepage as a virus and we spent half the day running around making sure it was actually a false alarm, only to have Avast release a virus definition that unfucked whatever the last one hosed up. I laughed mostly because he's a VP in a company full of hard asses with no sense of humor. Also because I am a broken human being.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

blackswordca posted:

Most of the people at the office do the same "prank". If you leave your cell phone(personal one mind you) or computer unlocked you will find goatse or another shock site as your desktop background. Occasionally you will also have your desktop rotated as well.

I've never bothered with shock sites, but I'll definitely put your phone in French if it's left out, though not with work cellphones. It took my girlfriend a day or so to noticed one time. No one really bothers with pranks at my work and most things I could do would just be a waste of my time because they'd just call me for help, since our users can barely log into webmail without hand holding. Anything harmless is good fun (tape over mouse, desktop screen shot, David Hasslehoff backgrounds) but yeah swapping out SATA cables would be a dick move. I'd assume the drive was dead over the cable unless there was an obvious sign of failure.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

A c E posted:

I've never bothered with shock sites, but I'll definitely put your phone in French if it's left out, though not with work cellphones. It took my girlfriend a day or so to noticed one time. No one really bothers with pranks at my work and most things I could do would just be a waste of my time because they'd just call me for help, since our users can barely log into webmail without hand holding. Anything harmless is good fun (tape over mouse, desktop screen shot, David Hasslehoff backgrounds) but yeah swapping out SATA cables would be a dick move. I'd assume the drive was dead over the cable unless there was an obvious sign of failure.

I like to set it to Hebrew and hand it back to them saying "Shalom", right to left really messes with people.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

frogbert posted:

I like to set it to Hebrew and hand it back to them saying "Shalom", right to left really messes with people.

OK, you win. I'm totally doing that next time.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I was working away from home for about 8 months, I had a lot of hire cars and they all got returned with the dashboard language set to Spanish where possible... I never got one back though :(

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I used to edit their login script, adding 'banner I am an idiot' or something like that.

I'd also set their wallpaper to this, especially at the end of the day:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

I used to edit their login script, adding 'banner I am an idiot' or something like that.

I'd also set their wallpaper to this, especially at the end of the day:

I worked at Staples a long time ago.

One year on April fools I changed all the display systems to that background. There was a bit of panic before they realized all the screens had the same crack pattern.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Mah computer is like mah private castle. Anyone who vi-o-lates the integrity of it will see my wrath! :clint:

you guys are taking this thing WAY TOO loving PERSONAL. Go drink some more. Christ

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Mah computer is like mah private castle. Anyone who vi-o-lates the integrity of it will see my wrath! :clint:

you guys are taking this thing WAY TOO loving PERSONAL. Go drink some more. Christ

There is a line between harmless prank, and completely taking someone out of service for [Quantifyably long period of time] in a production environment with what appears to be a catastrophic hardware failure. One's a laugh, the other can be an hour or more of frustration as poo poo appears to have just shat itself out of the blue when its some fucker changing a jumper config or some poo poo bringing down a resource on your own team, then complain at the end of the day that the same person is lazy and unmotivated when you done hosed him over and he knows it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

There is a line between harmless prank, and completely taking someone out of service for [Quantifyably long period of time] in a production environment with what appears to be a catastrophic hardware failure. One's a laugh, the other can be an hour or more of frustration as poo poo appears to have just shat itself out of the blue when its some fucker changing a jumper config or some poo poo bringing down a resource on your own team, then complain at the end of the day that the same person is lazy and unmotivated when you done hosed him over and he knows it.

You seem to be assuming that he is lazy and unmotivated over this singular incident. Guy was deadweight to begin with. This guy isn't even the focus for you guys. He is immaterial. All of you are up in arms because he dared to touch another mans precious PC.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Another fun prank is removing commas and semicolons from a bunch of lines of code.

Just add a semilcolon to any for loops and if statements.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I really don't blame people for treating IT like a bunch of children

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would probably ruin someone's month if they decided it would be hilarious to make me unable to do my job for half a day unless it was a close friend of mine who had a good reason for it, what the gently caress.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Johnny Aztec posted:

All of you are up in arms because he dared to touch another mans precious PC.

That's...not what people have said at all. :confused:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

if you leave your computer unlocked where I work we change the background to something my little pony related, the ultimate shame

also occasionally nic cage a computer. Just hide cutouts of his face all over the thing. It starts off obvious, and then a week later they'll find a new one they didn't notice before

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Whenever I see a failed drive my first reaction is always to swap sata cables, then put the drive in a known good computer. I hate dealing with clients when you break the news that all their local data is simply gone and it's their fault for not using shared drives like we instructed.

But if I found out the cable was sabotaged because someone didn't like a joke I made, gently caress that. The guy is probably just trying to fit in because the other guys there treat him like poo poo.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Or in this thread, Battered Wife Syndrome

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

death .cab for qt posted:

if you leave your computer unlocked where I work we change the background to something my little pony related, the ultimate shame

also occasionally nic cage a computer. Just hide cutouts of his face all over the thing. It starts off obvious, and then a week later they'll find a new one they didn't notice before

I pulled a classic years ago at an old helpdesk job - the guy who sat next to me left his PC unlocked during lunch and I hit him with a barrage of stuff:

- Took a screenshot of his background, then hid all his icons & taskbar
- Masking tape over the mouse laser
- USB for mouse/keyboard just slightly pulled out, enough that the PC wouldn't recognize it but it still appeared fully connected
- Changed the mouse from right to left handed
- Set the keyboard to Dvorak from the standard layout

Thankfully it was a slow day and we ALL pranked each other quite a bit, and were all good natured about it v:shobon:v

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You can call me a humorless bore if you want, but to me this field has enough annoyances without people you work with creating more of them for you, even if you think they're benign. I want the people I work with to act like professionals.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

You seem to be assuming that he is lazy and unmotivated over this singular incident. Guy was deadweight to begin with. This guy isn't even the focus for you guys. He is immaterial. All of you are up in arms because he dared to touch another mans precious PC.

They pulled a lovely prank on him because he pulled a benign one and let him struggle for hours. Even if he is lazy dead weight he works with assholes. Just work around him and get rid of him before his probation is up, don't torture the guy.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In my current job the biggest thing like that we did was change someone's desktop background from a picture of Penny from Big Bang Theory to Sheldon. :shrug:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Awful done hosed up

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

guppy posted:

You can call me a humorless bore if you want, but to me this field has enough annoyances without people you work with creating more of them for you, even if you think they're benign. I want the people I work with to act like professionals.

You're humorless.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
we need to unsend an email. (URGENT)

Management wanted to put a camera inside each bathroom, aimed at the door, to track who went, when, and for how long. Legal/HR hit the proverbial roof. After some back and forth, they collectively decided that they could put the cameras in the hallway outside and as long as they weren't actually cameraing inside the bathroom, there was no need to notify people, after all, that would ruin the point of catching people pooping on company time.

A long email exchange detailing all this discussion and the final decision was forwarded to the Facilities guy Al... or at least they meant to type al@domain.com. Instead, they typed all@domain.com. And didn't notice for at least 12 hours.

Cue me explaining that even if you can un-send an email, you can't make people forgot having read it...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And, assuming you're using outlook, even if you send a message recall it doesn't work if the user opens the original email before opening the recall.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Nothing makes me quite as interested in the contents of an e-mail (which I might have otherwise ignored) as a frantic recall request.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Weekly I have to remind people that the recall button does nothing except in a very small set of circumstances (and it will be in the legal archive anyway if someone wants to look).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GroupWise had the best recall function ever. poo poo just worked.

Users complained quite a bit when we moved to Exchange and they couldn't do that anymore.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

sfwarlock posted:

we need to unsend an email. (URGENT)

Management wanted to put a camera inside each bathroom, aimed at the door, to track who went, when, and for how long. Legal/HR hit the proverbial roof. After some back and forth, they collectively decided that they could put the cameras in the hallway outside and as long as they weren't actually cameraing inside the bathroom, there was no need to notify people, after all, that would ruin the point of catching people pooping on company time.

A long email exchange detailing all this discussion and the final decision was forwarded to the Facilities guy Al... or at least they meant to type al@domain.com. Instead, they typed all@domain.com. And didn't notice for at least 12 hours.

Cue me explaining that even if you can un-send an email, you can't make people forgot having read it...

Any place that is so concerned about productivity that they want to know how long I spend on the shitter each day is not a place that I would want to work.

Edit: Plus the inevitable lawsuit when someone with Crohns/Colitis/IBS gets called in for a verbal/written counseling on using the bathroom "too much," it's just a bad idea. Use the money for an incentive program or something, it has to be at least 5 digits just in management/HR/Legal salaries from debating the thing.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CommanderApaul posted:

Any place that is so concerned about productivity that they want to know how long I spend on the shitter each day is not a place that I would want to work.

Same thing I was thinking. This workplace is putting actual time, effort, and money into finding out who is taking a poo poo. Does this make them literal shitlords?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sickening posted:

Same thing I was thinking. This workplace is putting actual time, effort, and money into finding out who is taking a poo poo. Does this make them literal shitlords?
ShitKeepers. (aka poo poo GateKeepers)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

guppy posted:

Nah, I'm the same way. I'll just lock said person's computer/phone/other gadget and maybe send them a nice email warning them that someone not as nice as I am may get to them first next time, so be careful. :shobon:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
My goto prank has been editing BGInfo to change the desktop background to ponies. For being IT folks, it takes them a surprising amount of time to realize that BGInfo isn't just setting the text block but the actual background image as well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If your prank takes more than about 60 seconds to undo once someone figures out what was done, you're a complete and utter dickhead. People have work to do. loving with them is fun, but jesus, keep it simple. Fat and scantily clad women on the desktop, tape on the mouse, stick with the classics.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CommanderApaul posted:

Edit: Plus the inevitable lawsuit when someone with Crohns/Colitis/IBS gets called in for a verbal/written counseling on using the bathroom "too much," it's just a bad idea. Use the money for an incentive program or something, it has to be at least 5 digits just in management/HR/Legal salaries from debating the thing.

I'll put ten bucks on this conversation or similar happening somewhere in that organisation:

Manager 1: "Dude, you know you've got someone in your department that's out of the office like half of every day. It's ridiculous and people in my department are getting pissed off that he's getting away with it. You really should do something about him."
Manager 2: "You can't prove that, and anyway some of YOUR department probably take long breaks sometimes!"
HR: "Clearly we must start measuring all breaks for everyone otherwise someone might sue us."

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Nic Cage and MLP wallpapers are the staple here, as God intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

tehloki posted:

Pranks that actually involve loving up somebody else's hardware/software are all idiot high school poo poo and are/probably should be fireable offenses

Just to show my age, I used to steal mouseballs.

• Locked thread