Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Outside Dawg posted:

I swung a leg over one of these at the local HD shop once;

That tank is like a drat dining room table.

"The all-new Boss Hoss Spread Eagle™!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That thing has the widest tank I've ever sat on, it was like being on a fat horse. How anyone considers that to be a comfortable riding position I'll never know.

Huh, that's the same as my inseam, and I thought it was fine. Then again, I ride an inline four already, though I've never found twins/singles to be any more comfortable than fours.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Holy poo poo gently caress this winter. Snow in mid April in Ohio. I try to will the cold away with sheer hatred and rage but it's not working so well.

And I don't know how you freaks deal with anything below 50. Last week I was good in the 60s but got stuck in the dark when it shot below 50. I had a 40 liter pack filled with various layers to put on. This included a tee shirt, ls button down, a flannel shirt, a fleece, mesh motorcycle jacket, and a decently thick lovely winter jacket over all of that. I wanted to die. I'm tempted to put a loving windjammer on my 919.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You get to a point where 18 is miserable, anything north of 32 is nice, and mid-60s is uncomfortably warm.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

You get to a point where 18 is miserable, anything north of 32 is nice, and mid-60s is uncomfortably warm.

Sounds like dating tips for MILF hunters.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My hands (and nothing else) turn into blocks of ice below 54, it really limits my riding in spring and fall. Wish there was a way to get some bark busters onto a ninja 250.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

M42 posted:

My hands (and nothing else) turn into blocks of ice below 54, it really limits my riding in spring and fall. Wish there was a way to get some bark busters onto a ninja 250.

Hot tips to to keep warm during cold lovely whether:

1) Get a scarf and drape that poo poo on your neck and inside the jacket right in front of the zipper.
2) Balaclavas or helmetclavas can be optional. If you do use then, leave some vents open as it may for the visor/eyeglasses more than usual.
3) My roommate uses heavy snowboarding gloves to ride in the cold, but I only have "normal" gauntlets motorcycle gloves and even with a liner it loving sucked. I am moving to warmer weather, but I am still planing to buy some heated gloves.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Heated gear is wicked rad.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_j5pRuQhak

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

This. I used to stick with heated grips, but they only did so much and took a bit to warm up. Heated gloves are instant and amazing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Or just chop up an old plastic container for that professional look!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've seen two liter soda bottles used to the same effect. A true case of function over form.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

ElMaligno posted:

Hot tips to to keep warm during cold lovely whether:

1) Get a scarf and drape that poo poo on your neck and inside the jacket right in front of the zipper.
2) Balaclavas or helmetclavas can be optional. If you do use then, leave some vents open as it may for the visor/eyeglasses more than usual.
3) My roommate uses heavy snowboarding gloves to ride in the cold, but I only have "normal" gauntlets motorcycle gloves and even with a liner it loving sucked. I am moving to warmer weather, but I am still planing to buy some heated gloves.

clutchpuck posted:

For real. Don't even bother with anything else. Get the gear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Heated vest, ride fo'eva.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

No, I think I've made up my mind

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Careful with just a heated vest. The human body's natural reaction to cold is to maintain the core and restrict blood flow to the extremities. Heating your torso can lead to a case where you're highway cruising for a while and feel warm enough, only to go and turn off the highway (or dodge something) and find your arms and legs practically numb. It's pretty easy to get a jacket + layers that will keep your core warm well into temps you probably shouldn't be braving, but your hands definitely benefit from external heat, especially if you don't have shielding fairings.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been rocking heated gloves for the last few years and absolutely love them. I've ridden through near zero temps and have never been more than chilly.

I waited way to long to get heated gear. Big mistake.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just get some muffs. Nobody gives a poo poo what your bike looks like when you're out in weather like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Careful with just a heated vest. The human body's natural reaction to cold is to maintain the core and restrict blood flow to the extremities. Heating your torso can lead to a case where you're highway cruising for a while and feel warm enough, only to go and turn off the highway (or dodge something) and find your arms and legs practically numb. It's pretty easy to get a jacket + layers that will keep your core warm well into temps you probably shouldn't be braving, but your hands definitely benefit from external heat, especially if you don't have shielding fairings.

I find the opposite is true - all the heated gloves/gear in the world doesn't save you if your core is freezing, whereas with a heated vest everything stays nice and toasty, especially if I have handguards.

Of course, cold here is maybe, MAYBE high 30s.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Your hands are one of the biggest heat transfers in the body. Heated gloves can work wonders.

Anecdotally my hands were prone to being cold in a stiff breeze, and then I quit smoking. Made a huge difference.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I have driven in 30f in my long johns, long sleeved thermals, T shirt, scarf, balaclava, long socks, glove liners, gauntlets gloves and my two peice leather suit. The only cold as gently caress part in my body was my hands. So no I don't need EVERYTHING, just heated gloves.

Barring I decide to go for a multi hour drive in the cold, but meh.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 15, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Clitch posted:

Your hands are one of the biggest heat transfers in the body. Heated gloves can work wonders.

Anecdotally my hands were prone to being cold in a stiff breeze, and then I quit smoking. Made a huge difference.

You speak the truth. It's amazing how well my palms transfer the heat from the grips into my body. Unfortunately the ends of my fingers and knuckles still get chilled. Based on that, I figure heated gloves would be a huge asset for cold weather riding.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I find the opposite is true - all the heated gloves/gear in the world doesn't save you if your core is freezing, whereas with a heated vest everything stays nice and toasty, especially if I have handguards.

Of course, cold here is maybe, MAYBE high 30s.

You lost all credibility with the last sentence. I wear perf leather in lower temps.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

And here I thought riding in 68 F weather was cold (in perf. textile and jeans) :saddowns:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

You lost all credibility with the last sentence. I wear perf leather in lower temps.

Don't need cred when you're riding year round in california!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

This is my experience.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Commuting in perf leather in the mid 30s represent.

(Heated gloves are the only heated gear you need.)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

M42 posted:

Some surgical gloves under your actual gloves can be helpfull as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shimrod posted:

Some surgical gloves under your actual gloves can be helpfull as well.

Really? I find my hands get uncomfortably sweaty in exam gloves within minutes, warm or not. I couldn't imagine riding with them.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Just don't be like me and try to warm your right hand on the motor and using your left hand on the throttle. It's a great way to hit the killswitch in rush hour traffic.

ProfessorYesNo
Dec 10, 2006
What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in what?
So I've finally saved up enough to get some new tires put on the bike so I can finally get it to pass inspection so I can finally ride it again. I drive a hundred miles down the highway to my mom's place where the bike's been stored so I can do a little bit of maintenance (change the oil, new battery, plugs, etc.) so I can ride it to the shop in the morning to get them to put the new tires on and get me inspected. In doing so, my dumb rear end manages to break the fuel filter so part of it is stuck in the hose coming from my petcock and strip the screw that holds my seat in place. gently caress. It seems like every time I try to work on the bike, everything that can go wrong does so in the most infuriating way imaginable.

Also my mom adopted an adorable pit bull mix puppy who decided that the foam in my seat would make a great snack. Awww!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

slidebite posted:

Really? I find my hands get uncomfortably sweaty in exam gloves within minutes, warm or not. I couldn't imagine riding with them.

Yeah, they cut out the wind completely in the cold, and if it's raining your hands don't get clammy if you've got perf gloves :(

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
gently caress speaking of cold again, I have to work 2 hours away here in about oh 5 hours. My cars are kaput at the moment. So bike it is.

It's gonna be 24 F when I leave. Plan is some flannel pj pants, jeans, thin insulated liner, and textile pants for the bottom. Top is gonna be basically everything I can fit while still being able to lift up my arms. Oh and gotta double up on the wool socks too. I don't know what the gently caress I'm gonna do about my hands. All I have are uninsulated leather gauntlets and some lovely thing work gloves to go over them. This is gonna suuuuuuck.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

slidebite posted:

I use surgical gloves over some lovely cotton glove liners when I get stuck at work too long and end up riding home at 4AM when it's colder than I'd like it to be. I wouldn't want to do it for hours on end, but the liners keep you warm and dryish for a half hour ride home in perf leather gloves when it's 25 out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just turn my heated grips on.
I still have to buy new summer gloves.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
So for ranting here, why the hell would suzuki leave the head studs open to the world on the GS500? Those little holes are perfect for collecting dirt that doesn't come out so that when you take off the cylinders, a lovely rain of grit falls into the crankcase. God dammit, I suddenly have to get all new bottom end seals now.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Well that 2 hour (4 hours with all the stops!) ride in the 20s to low 40s sucked way more than I could imagine. I was cold, but not painfully so aside from the my hands. Thin knit gloves, leather gauntlets, and two layer cotton/fleece gloves over that couldn't do it. Made a stop and got these $2 hats with chin straps to make some hand guards with but that was a complete failure.

Ended up buying a pack of hand warmers and used 3 in each glove. Worked wonders. But I ended up with a first degree burn on the top of my right hand.

I don't even think the worst part was the cold. It was the layers. My hands were cramped as hell trying to work the controls with 3 gloves on. The balaclava I wore is a thin fleece thing, but my helmet is a perfect fit. This means trying to stuff an extra layer in there isn't going to work. My head and ears felt like they were in a vise. In addition to that crap I felt like I was being choked constantly by the collars of my jackets and fleece. If I tried tucking in I could feel the blood being choked from my brain with the light headed and fading vision that comes with that.

gently caress that poo poo forever.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 9, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

So for ranting here, why the hell would suzuki leave the head studs open to the world on the GS500? Those little holes are perfect for collecting dirt that doesn't come out so that when you take off the cylinders, a lovely rain of grit falls into the crankcase. God dammit, I suddenly have to get all new bottom end seals now.

You're meant to blast that poo poo away with compressed air beforehand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

I, for one, am tired of being nattered about every little drat thing by these self-righteous safety nuts. It’s really all about self-justification for their pathetic, invasive mindset. I hate the feel of the BMW system. I’m taking mine off. Honda’s removes you even more from the lever feel. I never want to hear another seat belt warning tone or see the “ABS Brake Failure ” light at start up again. If you need all that safety crap maybe you don’t have the skills to ride or drive on the street and should have your license revoked. The Moto-industry as a whole is losing a big supporter and customer.

Don't read the comments, kids.

Also, glad that guy is loving off out of the moto-industry as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Z3n posted:

Don't read the comments, kids.

Also, glad that guy is loving off out of the moto-industry as a whole.

Couldn't if we wanted to or dared to....you overlooked posting a link.