Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

I think it's intended to be for "characters who are wizards and express that in old-timey stage magic tricks rather than shooting fire at people".

Still a list of People Who Do Stuff, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Panty Shot Discussion:

quote:

So, despite my primary reaction to much of this article being to run away very fast, I shall try to put wiki-professionalism ahead of my own mental health

(Proceeds to waste brain cells on figuring out the difference between this and a related trope.)

quote:

I'm a little peeved that the article's current image doesn't actually feature the trope in question (at least not from the viewer's view anyway). Can't we use an image of someone else who actually demonstrates the trope, like say Kaere from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei?

quote:

I suspect that at this point, Mahoraba's not going away anymore; it's become this article's definite picture, as much as it frustrates me to no end.

So instead of replacing it, can we put in an additional image that, y'know, actually demonstrates the trope in question? I mean, Unwanted Harem has an image of a harem...

quote:

Maybe this article's featured picture is wrong though. Maybe we need a new one.

They're complaining that the page image doesn't actually show panties.

Also, does anyone have a link to/file of the Unwanted Harem Troper Tales?

In response to someone saying they feel dirty judging all these examples posted:

The lengths one has to go to as a troper, huh? *grin*

quote:

Ok, ofcourse this is asked before, but I can't find the awnser to my question: Does this trope relate to EVERY panty shot ever or only the one who were merely there for a Fetish Fuel effect? You see, Miyazaki uses realistic pantyshots and not that damned Magic Skirt. And knowing him, he would never show it for ones jerk-off material. So is this only for the sexual part of it? Then I really need to delete the trope at a LOT of places.

haha what a n00b.

quote:

does it count if the panties aren't visible due to censorship ?

If so, we've got one in Rogue Galaxy. The Player can see between Kisalas Legs While swimming. There's only a Black nothingness thought.

quote:

That and the examples were getting downright creepy. I mean, not only listing stuff where it was clearly intended, but along the lines of, "If you pause it at exactly 2 minutes, 3.7 seconds into the episode, you can see seven pixels of grey that are probably her panties." and just generally being real obvious that some people were spending way too much time looking for it where it wasn't intended.

Okay, which one of you goons wrote this? :colbert:

quote:

Irony: I came to the article hoping for exactly that — an overly precise note as to where a panty shot in a certain work occurs. Less creepy because I'd just made an argument with someone about what the lack of panty shots or shots focusing on boobs, butt, legs, or hips says about the work in question despite the costuming of certain characters (characters in fetishy outfits but without any of the stereotypical "male gaze objectification" shots), and I see an entry on that films page for panty shot that just says "Only if you're looking for it!"

I was actually banking on extreme creepy over-precision, and am disappoint. =/

Fuckin :lol:

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 15, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ninjasaurus posted:

The attempted rape was that completely out of character and retarded scene with Spike and Buffy in the bathroom. I recall reading somewhere that Sarah Michelle Gellar not only hated filming the scene but also hated that it was even written in the first place. I think it was quickly inserted into the episode because by that point Spike was so popular that the fans had apparently forgotten he was still evil so of course the best way to show that was :tvtropes:

(It was not the best way to show that.)

It was completely out of character for everyone involved. It wasn't even fuelled by evil.

I saw the movie the Darkest Hour yesterday. A pretty fun movie for the first part, but starts falling apart as more science is introduced.

quote:

• Weaksauce Weakness: The aliens can't see through glass.◦ Justified in that they can only see electricity, and glass is an insulated material.
It's a ridiculous weakness! All we have to do to take advantage of it is just carry around giant panes of glass. Also it's justified!
Also read the page! It's not even related to the movie according to their description. :(

playing with weaksauce weakness posted:

Basic Trope: A super powered individual is very vulnerable to a common substance. • Straight: Captain Awesome is driven off by plastic forks.
• Exaggerated: ◦ The mere mention of plastic forks sends Captain Awesome into sniveling fits.
◦ Captain Awesome is reduced to a catatonic mess by someone looking at him.
◦ Captain Awesome gets motion sickness despite being in a boat that's tied up.
◦ Captain Awesome is weakened by corn, his least favorite food

• Downplayed: ◦ Plastic forks give Captain Awesome a migraine.
◦ Captain Awesome is vulnerable to a specific species of animal. His weakness would be laughable in areas where the animal thrives, but understandable in locations where such a species is scarce.

• Justified: Captain Awesome has a severe allergy to plastic in general and plastic forks are some of the most common forms of easily acquired plastic.
• Inverted: ◦ Captain Awesome draws his powers from plastic forks, giving him not a Weaksauce Weakness, but a weaksauce power source.
◦ Captain Awesome is totally immune to plastic forks (and only plastic forks) in any situation in which one could harm him, however rare such situations may be.
◦ Captain Awesome's weakness is Francium, one of the rarest elements in the universe which generally only last for 30 minutes before decaying into other elements.

• Subverted: ◦ Turns out the plastic fork was laced with cyanide.
◦ Alternatively: Captain Awesome deliberately spread rumors that he was vulnerable to plastic forks to distract his enemies.
◦ Captain Awesome isn't really vulnerable to plastic forks.

• Double Subverted: ◦ But Captain Awesome can easily resist the cyanide, but not when he's suffering from the plastic allergy.
◦ Alternatively: Now that Captain Awesome's false allergy has been exposed, his enemies will no longer be distracted from finding out his true weakness: Bread.
◦ Well, at least he isn't vulnerable to plastic. Turns out he's vulnerable to the mere shape of a fork.
◦ It wasn't plastic fork it was the corn on it.

• Parodied: ◦ Kryptonite Is Everywhere Up to Eleven. Captain Awesome's secret identity works at a plastic fork factory, putting him a hair's breadth from death every day. All his villains have plastic in their armor, and they pointedly observe they are trying to uphold standards by only fighting/doing crime with non-lethal... plastic weapons. Oh, and his nemesis? Plastic Neptune, who wields a giant plastic trident.
◦ Captain Awesome is weakened by exposure to oxygen, so his amazing powers are really useless.
◦ Captain Awesome treats his fork-problems like a traditional allergy, complete with epi-pens and inhalers.

• Zig Zagged: Captain Awesome freaks out at the sight of a plastic fork but does nothing to him. Thinking he is over his plastic allergy, he picks up a second one, but it turns out this second plastic fork was not hypo-allergenic, and he promptly has a severe reaction. But turns out to be instead a reaction to Plastic Neptune's allergies-beam. But then it turns out that the plastic fork caused Captain Awesome's immune system to go crazy, making him vulnerable to Plastic Neptune's allergies-beam.
• Averted: Captain Awesome is not driven off by any mundane, easily accessed substance.
• Enforced: ◦ "Crap, Captain Awesome is a bit too awesome. He's making all the villains look laughable. How do we bring him down to their level. *frantically searches office, reaches into fridge* A FORK!"
◦ "Gee, our villain is too powerful. We need to find a way for the heroes to stand a chance against him".

• Lampshaded: ◦ "Geez Captain Awesome, you can shrug off meteor impacts and eat plutonium, but a plastic fork makes you cower in fear".
◦ "Of all the things that could weaken me, why did it have to be something as commonplace as a plastic fork?"

• Invoked: From the Diary of Senior Sinister "Grr, All superheros have weaknesses, and I know I can find Captain Awesome's. I'll try everything from Aardvarks to Zygotes".
• Exploited: Captain Awesome's enemy wears a suit made of nothing but plastic forks in order to defeat him.
• Defied: The villain menaces Captain Awesome with a plastic fork, he cowers in fear and hears out the villain's monologue and plan. Once he knows how to stop it, he then casually slaps it out of his hand and asks if he really believed he would come unprepared. Turns out he's wearing his special hypoallergenic uniform that makes him immune to plastic forks.
• Conversed: "You know, it's a wonder there are any super powered people fighting or doing crime at all. They have so many weird allergies they ought to live in a bubble".
• Discussed: "No, there is no cosmic balancer or something bandying out random weaknesses to superpowered people. If you run into someone who about to toss a truck at you, do not pelt them with mistletoe, just run".
• Deconstructed: ◦ Captain Awesome only has a slight allergy to plastic. His deep rooted fear of plastic forks actually comes from before him gaining his powers, when his abusive step-father molested him with them.
◦ Alternative: His glaring weakness causes him to become the laughingstock of the superpowered world and he is forced to retire from crime-fighting because he has such a glaring weakness.

• Reconstructed: ◦ But Captain Awesome swore that he would stop people like his step-dad, so he made a deal with a supernatural being that allowed him great power at the cost that he be driven off by what scares him the most.
◦ Alternative: After dropping out of supering, he realizes he can still make a difference, he just needs to account for his glaring weaknesses. So he develops a suit that protects him from the forks or helps with disaster relief.

Those drat magical skirts! Give me pantyshots in my cartoons!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Didn't Adams admit that he was drunk as all hell when writing that chapter which is why he put the wrong multiplication problem, but he liked it enough to leave it there?

Nah, it's in the radio series and it's preceded by Arthur figuring out that if he evolved from the Golgafrincham B-Ark people instead of the cavemen, the question in his head is probably the wrong one.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Ninjasaurus posted:

quote:

does it count if the panties aren't visible due to censorship ?

If so, we've got one in Rogue Galaxy. The Player can see between Kisalas Legs While swimming. There's only a Black nothingness thought.

TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: There's only a Black nothingness thought

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah, it's in the radio series and it's preceded by Arthur figuring out that if he evolved from the Golgafrincham B-Ark people instead of the cavemen, the question in his head is probably the wrong one.

Yeah I don't know why people never seem to understand that. It's spelled out in the radio series and even clearer in the books; the purpose of Earth was to calculate the solution to some trivial math problem, but humans aren't actually evolved from native earth life so while they do carry some of the "program" the Earth computer was designed to run, it's corrupted by that outside influence.

The joke isn't "lol it got the wrong answer" or "it's in base 13" or some other nonsense. It's just that all life on Earth exists solely to solve a really easy math problem.

I think most people don't get it just because they're only familiar with it through pop-culture references rather than having actually read the books/listened to the series, so all they know is "42" and think there's supposed to be some deeper meaning to it when the whole point of the joke is that there isn't.

*Edit*
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Yeah, that's right, sorry. It's been a while since I read the books. The UNIVERSE exists to solve the math problem; all life exists to determine the answer to some math question (probably "What's 6 times 7") for some higher being that's presumably really bad at arithmetic. Earth exists to find out what that question was, since their best computer before then was only able to give them the answer without context. The joke is still fundamentally the same - there's no deeper meaning to the answer being "42". It's just a trivial math problem.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 15, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I don't know why people never seem to understand that. It's spelled out in the radio series and even clearer in the books; the purpose of Earth was to calculate the solution to some trivial math problem, but humans aren't actually evolved from native earth life so while they do carry some of the "program" the Earth computer was designed to run, it's corrupted by that outside influence.

The joke isn't "lol it got the wrong answer" or "it's in base 13" or some other nonsense. It's just that all life on Earth exists solely to solve a really easy math problem.

I think most people don't get it just because they're only familiar with it through pop-culture references rather than having actually read the books/listened to the series, so all they know is "42" and think there's supposed to be some deeper meaning to it when the whole point of the joke is that there isn't.

No, they'd already solved the math problem, the answer was 42. Earth was built to figure out what the problem was. :colbert:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The higher being who is bad at maths got really drunk while writing that chapter and forgot the problem :haw:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well the fundamental point of H2G2 is that the universe is incomprehensible, so the question being "wrong" makes sense even without the plot justification.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Late on this, but Eliezer Yudkowsky looks exactly how I thought he would:

This motherfucker needs his own mock thread, and fast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
A lesswrong mock thread might be fun. On the other hand if I make threads they get gassed so someone else will have to do it :shrug:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

corn in the bible posted:

A lesswrong mock thread might be fun. On the other hand if I make threads they get gassed so someone else will have to do it :shrug:

That's your fear? Not an omnipotent future AI torturing a facsimile of you?

Speaking of omnipotent, one troper's villain is an all-powerful creator diety. He pulls this off as well as you expect.

quote:

Name: Multiple. This character is more or less God, which I imagine, for the purpose of the story, as an all-encompassing intelligence with many different personalities. The villain of the story is one of these personalities, a devil figure called Vaul Kizer.
Age: Impossible to determine. He has been around since before the Big Bang, making him at least as old as the universe.
Personality: Vaul Kizer is megalomaniacal, but understated. He is, in my mind, very much a cousin to Lucifer of Christian theology—not the sassy kind that makes pop culture references, but cool-headed and menacing, the kind of character that is always in control, even when he's not. He wields fear like another limb. His underlings are constantly afraid of him losing his temper, though he never does. He is manipulative, able to intuitively know and exploit a person's innermost desires to get what he wants. He's charming and seductive, with no objections to using his (conjured) looks and sex appeal to sway people. He is also not technically a "he", but a genderless being merely mimicking a male devil figure from an alien culture.
Abilities: Vaul Kizer challenges woolly-minded mortal notions of being and perception in every way. A glimpse of what he and his realm really are (or are not) would cause all but the most intelligent to Go Mad from the Revelation. He is potentially a universe-shattering Reality Hacker, but he is currently in an underpowered state due to being out of touch with his universe for so long. (If this is hard to grasp, imagine you design a video game, then leave it alone for a while. When you come back, you discover that, although much about your creation is familiar, you've forgotten the controls.) He has a vast army at his command with far-reaching influence; a foot in every camp. Just about every significant group or organization on every planet in the Xiron Galaxy has a Kizerist agent in its ranks. When he condescends to take physical form, he's able to take any shape.
Weaknesses: All of Vaul's weaknesses in the story come from his lack of understanding of the universe. Although he created the universe, he's forgotten how to control it and has had to relearn his god-like powers. He finds concepts such as non-omnipotence and physical limitations (such as being trapped in a single moment in time and being able to maintain only a limited number of bodies and/or consciousnesses) difficult to comprehend. He sometimes appears distracted, as though trying to hold a conversation with the person in front of him while on a phone call—this is due to cause and effect messing with his perception of his "selves". There are some things he cannot do—not necessarily because it's impossible, but because the alternative is simpler. For example, time manipulation. Because his native realm is timeless, it's easier for Vaul to manipulate time from there instead of entering the material universe and painstakingly "rewinding" time by manipulating the data that comprises the universe. Such an act would take a near-infinite amount of processing power and is far beyond Vaul's current abilities. His preferred method is to set a plan into action and sink back into his realm, then "wait" for it to unfold, like someone working in trial-and-error fashion at a very fast pace. Pull one thread and examine its effects in the future. If it doesn't work, or the outcome is somehow undesirable, roll it back and try again.
(Note: Time travel was never going to be a thing in my story. It's icky and I didn't want to do it. But I realized someone with the ability to disassemble matter on a mathematical/informational level might feasibly be able to control time as well, "simply" by recalculating the positions of all the contents of the universe and "rewinding" them to an earlier point in time. Anyone outside the area of effect for the rewind—i.e. the universe—would be immune to its effects and thus retain knowledge gained during that time—and voila, time travel. However, as there are infinite pasts, the calculations for the rewind have to be very precise. Forward time travel in this manner would also be possible, but no less complicated.)
Goals: Eventually, a total takeover of the universe (perhaps more of a "multiverse"). He's been given a task by the other gods (there's both one god and many gods; it's deliberately paradoxical) or personalities to take over one of the many realities in the universe as a test of his abilities before a real, all-encompassing, multiuniversal takeover can be attempted. He's starting in the Xiron Galaxy.
Motivation: Vaul feels that God isn't truly godlike because it has neglected the universe and the lessons it was trying to teach itself. It can never create great things if it doesn't understand the simple things first. In his mind, conquering the universe and making it his own will be to gain understanding of it. He tends to think sideways like that.
Role in the story: Vaul is actually a very minor presence in the story, mostly only showing up to direct his lieutenant, Zarius, who fills in for him as the leader of the Kizeric Army while he hones his reality-warping skills. Officially, he is in charge of the invasion which hits the occupied worlds of the Protectorate, the sole spacefaring civilization of the galaxy.
Backstory: Vaul's backstory is pretty much the backstory of the universe. Before creation, God imagined itself and came into being ("I think, therefore I am"), but lacked purpose. It wanted to think about things, and had nothing to think about, so it created the universe. (The actual "creation" story in my universe is much more complicated and metaphysical than that, though. I don't want to ramble too much.) For a while God watched the universe, and then it got bored, so it went off and did some other stuff for a while. One of its personalities got interested in the universe again, then discovered it no longer had any power over it, so it entreated the others to try and take it back. They said, "OK, but baby steps—one reality first.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Such a memorable villain.

Can gods and the big bang theory coexist? I guess we will only find out if we read the story.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Asgerd posted:

Late on this, but Eliezer Yudkowsky looks exactly how I thought he would:

This motherfucker needs his own mock thread, and fast.

He might benefit from a chat with his barber, but really? He doesn't look different from a million other people you'd expect to find in an office.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well the fundamental point of H2G2 is that the universe is incomprehensible, so the question being "wrong" makes sense even without the plot justification.

I always interpreted it as neither the question, nor the answer being wrong, its that every species in the universe is - that every one of them stated from the wrong idea of what mathematics, and kept making the same mistake over and over til every one of them thougt that 6 times 9 is 54, when its actually 42. Both the answer and the questions are fully sane and right, but everyone in the universe is completely insane.

Also I thought the refugees all died since they were incapable of making a functioning and self sustaining society.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

When they find the six by nine question, Arthur says something like "I've always said there's something fundamentally wrong with the universe".

That's the joke.

It's really not worth overthinking.

On the TvTropes side, this is Cosmic Deadline (which is not even remotely similar to Celestial Deadline, great trope-naming there):

Cosmic Deadline posted:

A phenomenon where the rate of character death and stray plotline resolution is inversely proportional to the number of pages left in the book.

As the end of the story nears, antagonists suddenly start dying at an incredible rate, MacGuffins that eluded the heroes for the whole story are recovered, couples suddenly getting together after spending the whole plotline up to now playing Will They or Won't They? or as Just Friends, other couples suddenly breaking up with little or no explanation why, and mysteries are quickly wrapped up. Now this can be normal for a story as it reaches its climax, but in this case the rate is so absurdly high compared to before that it's almost as if some invisible cosmic author realised that he has one hundred pages left of a thousand-page book to write and has yet to resolve most of the stray plot threads.

A good author carefully plots everything out to come to natural conclusions. In the event of a Cosmic Deadline, a bad author will hammer on resolutions as quickly as possible regardless of the impact on the story's quality. See Deus ex Machina for a common symptom of this.

In fairness, in some cases this may not necessarily be the fault of the author. If something is cancelled prematurely, for example, writers often have no choice but to rush the ending in order to wrap things up in a semi-satisfactory manner; it's either that or No Ending. Things can be even worse if the series gets renewed after the writers did their best to tie everything up in time.

Somehow, despite being explicitly a "Pacing Problem" and the description saying it's the result of a bad author, this survived Fast Ahab's objectivity purges. But okay, I can see this being a thing, especially in cases where a show is cancelled halfway through the season and the writers suddenly need to wrap up in a few episodes what they had planned on doing in several months. But that's not how tropers seem to use it:

Deboss (probably) posted:

The last bit of the Animorphs series was the only part in which any major characters got killed off. And a lot of them died then.

Did a lot of them die? I can only think of two, and that was one of them running a suicide mission to kill the other, which they wouldn't have been willing to do if it hadn't been the end of the war (and therefore the story). Either way, it's an odd complaint to make - instead of complaining that most of the series is ghostwritten filler (aimed at elementary schoolers, why do you still read it), they complain that eventually things do start happening.

Literature posted:

The whole Harry Potter series. We only learn what Horcruxes are in Book 6 (out of 7). As a result, while only two Horcruxes have been found and destroyed by the end of book 6, the heroes must find and destroy four of them over the course of ONE book. Deathly Hallows then continues this trend: After too many pages detailing a camping trip and other hairsbreadth escapes, suddenly the Trio arrives at Hogwarts and Horcruxes are destroyed lickety-split (even offscreen), truckloads of important, nay, essential information is revealed, and the plot relevant (or irrelevant) deaths start cropping up all over the place.

Why yes, people do tend to die a lot more quickly during the climactic final battle with wizard-Hitler on the front lines than during camping trips.

Most of the Cosmic Deadline page is complaining about things like this. On an unrelated note, here's an entry from TvTropes' own Insane Troll Logic page:

Insane Troll Logic: Anime posted:

Haruhi's take on that classic storytelling element, The Climax:

Haruhi: There's something I've always wondered about. You often see people die in the last episode of TV shows and the like. Doesn't that feel unnatural? Why do they just happen to die at that time? It's strange. That's why I hate anything where someone dies at the end! I would never make a movie like that!

Hey, tropers? Your anime, the tie that binds you, the medium you enjoy that will never judge you? It's judging you.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Any time Christianity is depicted on television, its representative is almost invariably a Straw Character, from the nutty religious fanatic to someone with only nominal convictions. It is exceptionally rare to see an openly Christian character who is smart, likable, and a competent defender of his faith.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Any time Christianity is depicted on television, its representative is almost invariably a Straw Character, from the nutty religious fanatic to someone with only nominal convictions. It is exceptionally rare to see an openly Christian character who is smart, likable, and a competent defender of his faith.

Oh hey is it Protestant Persecution Complex time? It looks like it's Protestant Persecution complex time!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Apple Tree posted:

He might benefit from a chat with his barber, but really? He doesn't look different from a million other people you'd expect to find in an office.

The smugface, though.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Apple Tree posted:

Maybe not, but most of the smug, chubby neckbeards you'd find in an office don't proclaim themselves to be the supergenius savior of the human race, the (soon to be, honest) creator of the greatest AI in the universe, the next step in mankind's evolution, etc etc.

quote:

As a kid, I was a huge, huge fan of Rowling's Harry Potter. As I grew slightly older and read the final book, I got disillusioned with Rowling's emotional writing style and some aspects and premises of the story struck me as glaring faults. The whole "love" thing, Harry's utter incorruptibility and Snape's ultimate motivation to name but a few. Also, I couldn't stand justifying Voldemort's evil with the fact that "he doesn't love" and portraying that as a bad thing. I take personal offense to that and I don't feel that's an adequate explanation for the atrocities Voldemort has committed. The book also carries a deathist message about the acceptance of death, which does hold true in Rowling's universe, but not necessarily in the real world. Thanks to the advancement of science.
Which brings us to Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - an amazing response to all of those shortcomings of the original story. I have read until Chapter 17 so far, but I haven't felt so intellectually stimulated for a long time when reading something. Harry is a frighteningly smart child prodigy with a Machiavellian disposition and a lust for power which is only surpassed by his lust for knowledge. Ron is discarded like the worthless distraction he is and Harry enters a rivalry with Hermione, which he seems to be winning without even trying, while not for the reasons for which he would like to be winning it - which sets the stage for some amazingly hilarious moments.
While the lack of an overbearing moral message from the book is certainly a welcome change from the original, the insolent, ruthless glorification of pragmatism can come off as shocking to those endeared to Rowling's do-gooder writing style. Harry cultivating a friendship with Malfoy rather than turning him off for the rear end in a top hat he is was but one example. Needless to say, I love every bit of it. Watching heroes spiral into evil while still be perfectly capable of getting away with all that comes second to none as far as reading is concerned. I'm definitely going to read the remaining chapters and hope for even more to be written. Hail Science!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pan's Labyrinth posted:

What Could Have Been: The first outline of the story was about an adult woman that found a hidden labyrinth behind an old house's bookcase. She would then be raped by a faun living inside the labyrinth, and as a result she would give birth to a magic-powered baby.

An old man sits on his porch gazing wistfully at the setting sun, daydreaming of all the rapes that were tragically never filmed. He sheds a single tear.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asgerd posted:

Maybe not, but most of the smug, chubby neckbeards you'd find in an office don't proclaim themselves to be the supergenius savior of the human race, the (soon to be, honest) creator of the greatest AI in the universe, the next step in mankind's evolution, etc etc.

That quote to me basically reads like: "I am a sociopath and I don't like that Rowling portrays that as a negative thing."

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

From Bara Genre Discussion:

Gilgameshkun posted:

I just caught up on the recent policy changes. Good grief...this reminds me of when my high school film literature class was declawed and forbidden from studying films with anything that someone's grandmother could remotely consider edgy — including most of the epic classic films on its curriculum. The new level of no-porn scrutiny being applied (even things that sorta-kinda resemble porn) has left me feeling rather queasy. I've written multiple articles about mature works on this very level, and I always considered them serious works first and foremost, with their level of safety strictly being a question of adequate individual maturity.

Right now the site seems to be in chaos trying to deal with this new situation, and I'm not certain I can be objective with the "no porn anywhere" policy change, when my entire fundamental definition of pornography seems to be so different from many Americans'. Culturally, it's a definition that sways in the wind of societal change, involving a great deal of social prejudice and stigma, and I'm more of an independent international thinker.

I think I'm taking a sabbatical from these discussions until everything cools down and the situation has firmly stabilized.

Laudanum posted:

Anyway, I would like to second Gilgameshkun. I think it's very worrying where tvtropes is now. I was in and out of hospital for 8 months so I missed all the changes (I used to lurk under a different name), so I don't know why it happened but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I liked a lot of pages that were about mature works that may now be coming under fire. I think it leans towards a Moral Guardians attitude a bit, which is worrying.

I never get tired of tropers complaining about "The Google Incident", even if they're old posts. :allears:

Gilgameshkun sounds familiar.

Nosebleed posted:

In Japanese media, healthy young men that have no other sexual outlet will often suffer nosebleeds upon seeing the naked female body, or even just a pair of well-filled panties. The concept comes from a Japanese old wives' tale, and might be Truth in Television under very rare circumstances.

Oh shut the gently caress up, no it isn't.

In fact, this is one of those tropes that can only be found in anime, as evidenced by none of their other examples fitting. It's pretty annoying to see TVT constantly straddle the fence between being open to all nerdy media and just the anime poo poo.

Please Put Some Clothes On posted:

Whenever a man walks in on a naked woman, or she walks in on him when he's naked, he will stare briefly, bluster and turn around. He will ask (and sometimes demand) that the woman... well, get dressed. He'll even go so far as to give her his shirt if she has no clothing of her own.

The only post on the Discussion page posted:

No tropertales? :fap:

Does anyone know where I can find the tropertales archives?

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 19, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ninjasaurus posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the tropertales archives?

http://tropertales.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page

Right here buddy.

Also, people were posting in a thread regarding gay porn complaining about porny or sleazy-as-poo poo pages were cut? Why am I not shocked in the least?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That quote to me basically reads like: "I am a sociopath and I don't like that Rowling portrays that as a negative thing."
"What is this 'love' concept that Rowling bases so many character interactions on? Get rid of it, it's icky."

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
There is a link to a scribd document of all the troper tales in the OP.

Didn't a goon try reading the Methods of Rationality in one of the last threads?

Also, what constitutes a well-filled set of panties? On second thought, maybe it's best if that goes unanswered...

VVVVV I would read a LW thread for sure

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 19, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Swan Oat posted:

There is a link to a scribd document of all the troper tales in the OP.

Didn't a goon try reading the Methods of Rationality in one of the last threads?

Also, what constitutes a well-filled set of panties? On second thought, maybe it's best if that goes unanswered...

Namtab(I think?) tried, but it was too lovely to get through.

So is there enough interest in a LW mock thread to get one going? Because I might make the OP if no one else feels like it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I'd read it....

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Maremidon posted:

Namtab(I think?) tried, but it was too lovely to get through.

So is there enough interest in a LW mock thread to get one going? Because I might make the OP if no one else feels like it.

I'd post! I was about ten minutes away from making this offer myself. Please do!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Okay why not, working on it as we speak.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

I would assume just 'nice rear end'. You know, like in any case of saying that someone fills out their clothes well. These being tropers, though...

Asgerd posted:

I think the mention of 'deathism' here deserves further elaboration. See, among his many other pathologies, Yudkowsky has a phobia of death. Sounds innocuous enough, right? I mean, death is generally a kind of scary thing. Thing is, though, most people fear death, but they don't have a phobia of it. It doesn't dominate their every thought. Not so for Yudkowsky. Dude is obsessed with death and the avoidance thereof, to the point where he cannot comprehend why anyone might be even slightly OK with the idea of not living forever, and will label such opinions as 'deathist' and thus evil. In HPMOR, for instance, he takes the Dementors, Rowling's explicit analogy for depression, and turns them into avatars of death, ignoring stuff like the fact that they very explicitly don't kill you, and has Harry rant at Dumbledore for most of a chapter about how he can't believe that he's not a fan of immortality. Apparently, one of his relatives died young, and it traumatised him. Which sucks, but it's yet another demonstration of how his avowed 'rationality' is anything but.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Maremidon posted:

Okay why not, working on it as we speak.

Less Wrong: The Big Yudkowsky

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the mention of 'deathism' here deserves further elaboration. See, among his many other pathologies, Yudkowsky has a phobia of death. Sounds innocuous enough, right? I mean, death is generally a kind of scary thing. Thing is, though, most people fear death, but they don't have a phobia of it. It doesn't dominate their every thought. Not so for Yudkowsky. Dude is obsessed with death and the avoidance thereof, to the point where he cannot comprehend why anyone might be even slightly OK with the idea of not living forever, and will label such opinions as 'deathist' and thus evil. In HPMOR, for instance, he takes the Dementors, Rowling's explicit analogy for depression, and turns them into avatars of death, ignoring stuff like the fact that they very explicitly don't kill you, and has Harry rant at Dumbledore for most of a chapter about how he can't believe that he's not a fan of immortality. Apparently, one of his relatives died young, and it traumatised him. Which sucks, but it's yet another demonstration of how his avowed 'rationality' is anything but.

Funny to note that Yudkowsky's views on death are basically the same as Voldemort's.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the mention of 'deathism' here deserves further elaboration. See, among his many other pathologies, Yudkowsky has a phobia of death. Sounds innocuous enough, right? I mean, death is generally a kind of scary thing. Thing is, though, most people fear death, but they don't have a phobia of it. It doesn't dominate their every thought. Not so for Yudkowsky. Dude is obsessed with death and the avoidance thereof, to the point where he cannot comprehend why anyone might be even slightly OK with the idea of not living forever, and will label such opinions as 'deathist' and thus evil.

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet but I find it hilarious that this is a pretty spot-on description of Lord Voldemort.

E: dammit, beaten

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
A LW thread sounds great.

Forums Barber fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 19, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Thread is live. Go here for future LW discussion

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

It seems everyone has moved on to the Less Wrong mock thread, which means that my making fun of old Troper Tales might seem "behind the times" but drat it, I'm going to do it anyway. :colbert: :911:

Thanks to Testekill and Swan Oat for pointing me in the direction of the TT archives.

A lot of the entries are immensely boring and sad, as well as indeed shitthatdidnthappen.txt. Wading through the muck, it's still possible to find some diamonds in the rough.

And for your viewing pleasure, I've tried to recreate the posts as they were originally meant to be experienced, by linking words/sentences to the designated trope pages, as just copying and pasting from the archives is a bit unsightly. You're welcome.

Unwanted Harem:

quote:

* This troper emphasizes the word "Unwanted". I despise having relationship with females, being fearful that it would ruin my TV Tropes and Internet life, yet in my own house only two of us were male (Me and my father) while the rest who lives are female, from a relative Tsundere who has a Moe Moe sister to three maids from the Philippines, and it's even worse in school, where some girls are attracted to me (including Koreans), yet I do nothing but reject them and speak openly and shamelessly against females, romantic relationships and marriage like I was a hammy Nietzsche Wannabe. I don't know, I look like a stereotypical geek and I don't want any females near me because of my usually Troper, Tsundere, Otaku and Nietzsche Wannabe attitudes, which I fear is harmful to others, but maybe the reason I have an Unwanted Harem is because I am one of the school nerds who almost always end up being beaten, bullied, harassed and mind raped by the jocks.

Guy hates icky flesh and blood "females" because they interrupt the squandering of his youth on TV Tropes and masturbating to cartoons, yet claims to have all sorts of exotic foreign women (including Asians, of course) who are begging for his dick. Despite the fact that he is a massive rear end in a top hat who yells about how much the opposite sex and such pitiful things as love and relationships are evil. Thinks that these same girls take pity on him for being bullied by those drat Jocks :argh: and "mind raped", whatever that means.

Sounds like your standard troper fantasy to me.

quote:

* This 9th-grade Troper thinks they're messing with me, but I seem to be fancied by 10th-graders and black girls. Unfortunately, the 10th grader is perverted and unatractive. I was playing basketball with my friends in gym class and she yells, "Take your shirt off!" I didn't try to let her down easy. A girl in my math class, though having a nice enough personallity towards me, did a lot of things against my values. She often would sit by me and smile at me. As for the black girls, whoo-boy. This might be wanted, except that I can't tell if they really like me, are messing around, or just very friendly. One says hi to me wheverever she can and puts an emphasis on my name, a few randomly sit by me at lunch and ask me random questions, and one particulary attractive girl tried to hug me. I refused because of my antisocail attitude an, well, I don't think I was wearing blue jeans that day.

From the spelling errors and overall lovely writing, I'm willing to believe this was written by an actual high school freshman who is still in his "ew cooties" phase. I'm not sure I'd call his singling out of black girls who are just being nice to him as vaguely racist but it's certainly bizarre. And what does not wearing blue jeans have to do with refusing a hug from an attractive girl? :psyduck:

quote:

* This Troper has it somewhere between subverted and reconstructed, going by the Played With thing on this page.

Tropers using the words subverted and reconstructed are bad enough but it pisses me off when they apply it to the real world (or even shitthatdidnthappen.txt). Trust me, the rest of what he had to say wasn't worth quoting.

quote:

* This Troper was a major aversion. In 8th Grade, he sat at a lunch table with him as the only boy. He just sat there. Eleven girls around him. However, none of them had any interest in him. At all. Although they were very comfortable around him, once spending an entire recess period speaking of Milkshakes. Not the kind you drink. Its a wonder he didn't change where he was sitting after that.

TVTropes Pleads the Fifth: In 8th Grade, he sat at a lunch table with him as the only boy. He just sat there.

quote:

* In the most unlikely of ways, this troper has a non-romantic variation of an unwanted harem. This troper is seen as a Memetic Sex God or a Memetic Badass, which came out of nowhere (sure, he knocked out his own fat black-belt ninja best friend, but it was a total lucky shot and accident. He's also a comedian and a relatively good dancer). He is a CloudCuckoolander, has failed in every attempt to get a girlfriend (save one instance, which ended badly) and is not very attractive, to say the least. Despite all that, this troper is often surrounded by girls (who are not romantically interested in me in the slightest) during school dances, and it often gets irritating. So much so he physically pushes away some of the girls for some breathing room.

And so we end with an obviously fake Troper Tale, one which is notable for its more interesting asides than the general narrative. I'd like to know more about him knocking out his fat black-belt ninja best friend by accident and how the one instance he managed to get a girlfriend ended badly. Because who gives a poo poo about him pretending to be the latest teen idol at school dances and having to escape the onslaught of teenage girls mobbing him.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ninjasaurus posted:

A girl in my math class, though having a nice enough personallity towards me, did a lot of things against my values. She often would sit by me and smile at me.
Did he just leave out the specifics of her impropriety, or was he actually offended by her sitting and smiling? :iiam:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 20, 2014

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Did he just leave out the specifics of her impropriety, or was he actually offended by her sitting and smiling? :iiam:

She was most likely a filthy sexhaver.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LcGEzUmdM
Got to this from the meme thread, pretty sure this guy is talking about tropers with this 'cult of the katana' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm guessing he left out the specifics but it's funnier if you just go with the latter.

MinistryofLard posted:

She was most likely a filthy sexhaver.

I was almost going to make this comment in my post so yeah, probably.

Nosebleed

As expected, all of these stories were either fake or tropers mentioning how there was a perfectly good explanation as to why they had a nosebleed (prone to them, cold weather, sickness, etc.) but nah, it was probably because they saw some nudity and life is just like my animes!!

Here's a perfect example:

quote:

This Troper has been plagued by frequent, random Nosebleeds his whole life. It only became a real issue in eighth grade, when his school had couple of twins from Japan who didn't speak a word of English as students. This being a crappy school, in a crappy city in a crappy state, they got treated almost as badly by the students as, well, ShrinkingViolet he did. Any chance ThisTroper might have had at helping or making friends with them went flying out the window when for some stupid group assignment or other he was placed across from one of them and, to our mutual horror...well, I think you can guess. *Sigh*

quote:

*scratches head* So real Japanese people actually believe that Nosebleeds happen in place of... Something else?

quote:

I have no idea. I just know the look on her face is something I'd like to forget, along with the rest of eighth grade.

This mostly speaks for itself, along with the middle school PTSD that seems to be common among tropers.

quote:

That sounds just like this this troper except that I had the blood vessels in my nose cauterized when I was 17. also my high school ran a foreign exchange program with a japanese school so there was often 30 or more japanese students around.

No please, tells us about your wacky adventures! :allears:

• Locked thread