Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The crazy undercurrent of that article is that she seems to be just waiting for a man to rescue her from herself. Good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

The crazy undercurrent of that article is that she seems to be just waiting for a man to rescue her from herself. Good luck with that.

She's a writer who's read a bit too much (read: any) Twilight. Or any other loving female-oriented young adult novel.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

spwrozek posted:

I would say going pay check to paycheck working 2 jobs to get by to having $10k is pretty life changing.

Is it? You'll still be working two jobs. If you spend more than you make you'll eventually run through that 10k and end up where you started. If you spend exactly as much as you make 10k is a really nice buffer but you still aren't getting ahead, not exactly life changing. The real way to change your life is to increase your earning power and to some extent decreasing your spending. A one time smallish cash infusion is at best a good buffer to keep you from spiraling into debt, at worst it simply delays the inevitable.

It really takes a big sum to become "life changing" I'd say. $100,000, a million even, isn't going to last as long as it needs to if you want to retire.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Magic Underwear posted:

It really takes a big sum to become "life changing" I'd say. $100,000, a million even, isn't going to last as long as it needs to if you want to retire.
FI enthusiasts generally assume a safe withdrawal rate is 4% (safe meaning you can withdraw this much in perpetuity even after accounting for inflation), so a million dollars means you get a free 40k income forever. You may indeed be able to retire on that in a cheap cost of living area, especially now that we have Obamacare subsidies.

Of course that assumes said million is post-tax.

edit: thanks, Obama!

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 14, 2014

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
There are a thousand different ways for people to interpret "life changing", guys. $10k could take you on a trip to another continent and change your world view, it could let you take a pilgrimage to your holy land, it can buy you your first reliable car and knock out a huge source of stress in your life, or it could buy you a couple semesters of community college credit to learn yourself some new skills and hop over a career hump.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Cicero posted:

FI enthusiasts generally assume a safe withdrawal rate is 4% (safe meaning you can withdraw this much in perpetuity even after accounting for inflation), so a million dollars means you get a free 40k income forever. You may indeed be able to retire on that in a cheap cost of living area, especially now that we have Obamacare subsidies.

Of course that assumes said million is post-tax.

edit: thanks, Obama!

I concede the point, so long as you live within your means and manage your money well. Most people think of a million-dollar lifestyle when they think of that much money, not a $40k lifestyle. Even that takes shrewd investment and discipline. The number of "great business opportunities" and conman "investment advisors" that come out of the woodwork when they smell money is staggering.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

drat Bananas posted:

There are a thousand different ways for people to interpret "life changing", guys. $10k could take you on a trip to another continent and change your world view, it could let you take a pilgrimage to your holy land, it can buy you your first reliable car and knock out a huge source of stress in your life, or it could buy you a couple semesters of community college credit to learn yourself some new skills and hop over a career hump.

Yeah, but

baquerd posted:

Nah, that's just like a 60" TV and a down payment on a new SUV.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

She's a writer who's read a bit too much (read: any) Twilight. Or any other loving female-oriented young adult novel.
The conclusion is "once I have my wonderful man, this will be small potatoes!" So are you doing anything to get a wonderful man...? Why would you take something as unicorn-rare as a perfect spouse for granted when you have no evidence of his existence? So strange. But, judging by the enthusiastic reception in the comments, not unique.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 14, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I was expecting the comments to say something along the lines of "that's a lot of words to say I'm terrible with money and unapologetic for it." But nope.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Squabbling over a dead relatives stuff/money is crass.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Squabbling over a dead relatives stuff/money is crass.
Money's crass. The freedom it gets you isn't.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
$10,000 is not a lot of money over time but it's a big shock to receive all at once when you weren't expecting it. That shock has life changing potential value more than the money itself. I'm saying you're all correct.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah, Slow Motion got a $10,000 payout once and he dumped his wife and became a baller!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

baquerd posted:

Talented writer gets undergrad paid for by her parents, lands a full-ride MFA followed by a fellowship, and is living in one of the lowest cost parts of the country. So of course she goes $40,000 in debt for "linen curtains and homemade granola".

http://thehairpin.com/2013/11/how-my-obsession-with-furnishing-a-future-put-me-nearly-40000-in-debt

My wife's sister once had a boyfriend with a good job. He worked for one of the sports networks, working in the camera room for NHL games and drew a really nice salary. He was a nice guy too. This sister spent over $10k on credit cards at Pottery Barn and antique stores furnishing their apartment.

Then she cheated on him with an unemployed, fat and creepy 19 year old (she was 30) from her community college improv class who she played World of Warcraft with. As part of her breakup with the cool hockey boyfriend, she threw away or destroyed all those designer decorations she had bought less than a year ago, including a set of two antique Tiffany chairs that were worth over $1,000 each.

They're still together, and he has never had a job (except for 2 weeks at Blockbuster, then he decided that was "beneath him"). He used his only paycheck from Blockbuster to fly out to New Mexico to visit a 15 year old WoW guildmate who was depressed because his mom was cutting off his subscription for getting bad grades. Moms just don't understand, man. I'd like to think that the kid saw that he was on the path to being a pathetic manchild and got scared straight.

They also have two kids now, and have been floating for the last few years a few months at a time mooching off various family members. They are also the most ungrateful mooches ever.

She was shopping for a birthday present for him, and wanted to get him "pajama shorts", because "he gets so hot wearing his long pajama pants all day" as he plays Playstation and Warcraft. Most people's solution to that is to, y'know, shower and get dressed.
He withdrew $2,500 from an account his mom had set up for his education so he could "get a laptop for school", and bought a $2,500 gaming laptop and never registered for any classes.
A family member used some connections to get her a sweet job working in the marketing department for the newspaper. Really stuck their neck out and pulled in some favors to get her set up here. In the 15 work-days she was employed there before she quit, she called out for 7 of them and rigged one of the newspaper's promotional giveaways for a 2 night stay at a nice resort in town so that her boyfriend would win it under a fake name. With her one paycheck from the newspaper, she spent all of it on $8/bag organic snacks from Whole Foods, gourmet beer/soda, fake nails and hundreds of dollars in lingerie.
She's waiting for "the credit card debt to drop off" when the statute of limitations expires. She says it's completely immoral for the debt collectors to keep harassing her, because she doesn't even have the stuff anymore! Checkmate, creditors :smug:
By some miracle, her own $20k+ private student loan debt (for a degree she didn't finish) from Washington Mutual disappeared during WaMu's bankruptcy and sale to JP Morgan Chase and she hasn't heard a word about it since 2008.

Mother in law has got some financial problems of her own due to all the mooching adult children and stepchildren. I had to talk her out of buying another car and giving them the old one (7 year old Altima with maybe 50k miles). They didn't need the other car they were looking at, they were just going to buy another one so they could give away the old one.
The daughter got in a huge fight with mom a couple years ago and swore she'd never speak to her again, "I'm divorcing this family and want you out of my life", etc. Mom had been sending checks for a few hundred a month and paying her phone bill, and wouldn't you know, someone's still cashing the monthly checks....

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silvergoose posted:

But a lot of people rent, so if the money literally removes all of their CC debt and thus frees up a large amount per month that lets them change how their life works...that sounds life changing.

This is us. If we had 10K that'd pay for all of our CC debt and most of the cars, which would allow us to tackle student debt full on. About 60% of our income goes to non-silly debt that we need to live like student loans and car payments as well as the debt from a move we made for a job. We don't live beyond our means, we just have had a few shocks to our income and $10K would go a long way.

It wouldn't change our life, but it'd keep us from struggling month to month with revolving debt.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If someone handed me 10k free and clear I'd submit a student loan payment of 10k the same day.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

canyoneer posted:

My wife's sister once had a boyfriend with a good job. He worked for one of the sports networks, working in the camera room for NHL games and drew a really nice salary. He was a nice guy too. This sister spent over $10k on credit cards at Pottery Barn and antique stores furnishing their apartment.

Then she cheated on him with an unemployed, fat and creepy 19 year old (she was 30) from her community college improv class who she played World of Warcraft with. As part of her breakup with the cool hockey boyfriend, she threw away or destroyed all those designer decorations she had bought less than a year ago, including a set of two antique Tiffany chairs that were worth over $1,000 each.

They're still together, and he has never had a job (except for 2 weeks at Blockbuster, then he decided that was "beneath him"). He used his only paycheck from Blockbuster to fly out to New Mexico to visit a 15 year old WoW guildmate who was depressed because his mom was cutting off his subscription for getting bad grades. Moms just don't understand, man. I'd like to think that the kid saw that he was on the path to being a pathetic manchild and got scared straight.

They also have two kids now, and have been floating for the last few years a few months at a time mooching off various family members. They are also the most ungrateful mooches ever.

She was shopping for a birthday present for him, and wanted to get him "pajama shorts", because "he gets so hot wearing his long pajama pants all day" as he plays Playstation and Warcraft. Most people's solution to that is to, y'know, shower and get dressed.
He withdrew $2,500 from an account his mom had set up for his education so he could "get a laptop for school", and bought a $2,500 gaming laptop and never registered for any classes.
A family member used some connections to get her a sweet job working in the marketing department for the newspaper. Really stuck their neck out and pulled in some favors to get her set up here. In the 15 work-days she was employed there before she quit, she called out for 7 of them and rigged one of the newspaper's promotional giveaways for a 2 night stay at a nice resort in town so that her boyfriend would win it under a fake name. With her one paycheck from the newspaper, she spent all of it on $8/bag organic snacks from Whole Foods, gourmet beer/soda, fake nails and hundreds of dollars in lingerie.
She's waiting for "the credit card debt to drop off" when the statute of limitations expires. She says it's completely immoral for the debt collectors to keep harassing her, because she doesn't even have the stuff anymore! Checkmate, creditors :smug:
By some miracle, her own $20k+ private student loan debt (for a degree she didn't finish) from Washington Mutual disappeared during WaMu's bankruptcy and sale to JP Morgan Chase and she hasn't heard a word about it since 2008.

Mother in law has got some financial problems of her own due to all the mooching adult children and stepchildren. I had to talk her out of buying another car and giving them the old one (7 year old Altima with maybe 50k miles). They didn't need the other car they were looking at, they were just going to buy another one so they could give away the old one.
The daughter got in a huge fight with mom a couple years ago and swore she'd never speak to her again, "I'm divorcing this family and want you out of my life", etc. Mom had been sending checks for a few hundred a month and paying her phone bill, and wouldn't you know, someone's still cashing the monthly checks....

Holy poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I would get one million pennies and fill a kiddy pool, to finally fulfill my dream of swimming in money, Scrooge McDuck style.

I would just put it into savings until we decided what we were going to update on the house next. Renovations for the renovation god! Sconces for the sconce throne! :black101:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'd give it to slow motion for the schadenfreude vicarious living.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

This is why I subscribe to this thread, goddamn.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Why wouldn't that dude just get a pair of gym shorts. Hell the under armour ones are better than any type of pj pants.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Is this your sister in law's house and husband http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Didn't that guy have a turnaround thread where he cleaned his house up and got his kids back?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Is it? You'll still be working two jobs. If you spend more than you make you'll eventually run through that 10k and end up where you started. If you spend exactly as much as you make 10k is a really nice buffer but you still aren't getting ahead, not exactly life changing. The real way to change your life is to increase your earning power and to some extent decreasing your spending. A one time smallish cash infusion is at best a good buffer to keep you from spiraling into debt, at worst it simply delays the inevitable.

I agree with this, assuming the individual receiving the windfall doesn't have any debts to pay down with it. 10K is almost half my annual income and I have no idea what I'd do if that amount of money fell into my lap -- sit on it for emergencies and feel some safety of mind, I suppose, but that wouldn't manifest major concrete improvement in my life. I have two friends who came into >$10k recently, a guy and a girl, both living below poverty line, and it didn't improve either of their lives.

The guy was severely depressed at the time he received the money, but hadn't been able to afford any kind of mental health treatment and was in a poor mental state when he got the cash. He started doing coke daily since he lived in a really coked-out area and suddenly he could afford it, then stopped showing up to work or hanging out with friends so he could snort more blow. Two months later, he was jobless and broke again.

The girl spent a few thousand dollars of the windfall on a dream trip to Europe. Not really an unreasonable expense, and she had a lot left over. While she was travelling, she contacted a nasty respiratory illness. She paid up for acupuncture and "all-natural" medicine, figuring she might as well spend the freeroll money getting herself healthy again quickly. But she ended up spending more than expected, and meanwhile her boss at her retail job illegally fired her for "poor performance" since she took all that vacation and sick leave. So she ended up broke and jobless too.

I don't know what the moral is to these stories, but they're bad and involve money so I guess they go in this thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I think the morals are:

- Don't self medicate with cocaine if you can afford professional healthcare

- Don't just up and take a vacation when working at a job that wants advance notice (also, don't call in sick from Monaco)

- Never, ever, ever go with "alternative" medicine

- Financial education really should be taught in schools :sigh:

They definitely belong in this thread.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Volmarias posted:

- Don't just up and take a vacation when working at a job that wants advance notice (also, don't call in sick from Monaco)

To clarify, there wasn't much she could've done better involving the firing -- boss cleared her vacation time, then harassed her into quitting because she was sick and couldn't do her work well (yelling at her, forcing her to do stuff that aggravated her condition even though there was no reason she had to be the one to do it, etc.) Illegal as heck.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Volmarias posted:

- Financial education really should be taught in schools :sigh:

About half of US states have a financial literacy requirement. Like most things in our public school system, it doesn't work that well. Look how bad people are at geography and that's mandatory.

Financial education should be taught at home.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bloody Queef posted:

About half of US states have a financial literacy requirement. Like most things in our public school system, it doesn't work that well. Look how bad people are at geography and that's mandatory.

For effective financial literacy education, you'd need to have financially literate teachers. Which we don't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
To be a smug bfc goon, it's like getting career advice from someone whose career is guidance counselor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Saeku posted:

To clarify, there wasn't much she could've done better involving the firing -- boss cleared her vacation time, then harassed her into quitting because she was sick and couldn't do her work well (yelling at her, forcing her to do stuff that aggravated her condition even though there was no reason she had to be the one to do it, etc.) Illegal as heck.

Ah, I understand. That stinks.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bloody Queef posted:

Since most parents are absolute poo poo at it, is everyone just supposed to bootstrap themselves into being responsible with money and learning how to use different investment vehicles? Some of us here have, but we're aspergers goons. Trying to convince my friends/relatives who are paying 1-1.5% for a financial advisor to spend a week and read Four Pillars is dishearteningly futile.

Yeah the public schools are awful at teaching in general, but I'm sure one or two of the six different times you learn about the Civil War or the Revolutionary War could be tossed aside for some very basic investment overviews.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 15, 2014

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
And to be fair, even when you have good financial education, there's no guarantee that it will stick. I had an 11th grade economics teacher who spent months teaching us about credit, interest rates, and student loans. He even went through the process of a house mortgage and credit union vs bank. I learned the word 'usury' in that class :unsmith:

Most of us were still gently caress ups in college. It's a messed up developmental stage. But hey, maybe he's the reason we eventually grew out of it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nail Rat posted:

Since most parents are absolute poo poo at it, is everyone just supposed to bootstrap themselves into being responsible with money and learning how to use different investment vehicles? Some of us here have, but we're aspergers goons. Trying to convince my friends/relatives who are paying 1-1.5% for a financial advisor to spend a week and read Four Pillars is dishearteningly futile.

Yeah the public schools are awful at teaching in general, but I'm sure one or two of the six different times you learn about the Civil War or the Revolutionary War could be tossed aside for some very basic investment overviews.

People lack basic numeracy skills. How do you propose teaching them about budget, investments, interest rates, opportunity cost and time value of money?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Trilineatus posted:

And to be fair, even when you have good financial education, there's no guarantee that it will stick. I had an 11th grade economics teacher who spent months teaching us about credit, interest rates, and student loans. He even went through the process of a house mortgage and credit union vs bank. I learned the word 'usury' in that class :unsmith:

Most of us were still gently caress ups in college. It's a messed up developmental stage. But hey, maybe he's the reason we eventually grew out of it?

We had an entire course in budgeting and lifestyle management and poo poo, none of it mattered to anyone and it was a compulsory bird course.

I'm starting as a student teacher in September and I have no idea how to make finances meaningful for 15-19 year olds. The rhetoric of freedom and fear and sustainability that worked for 24-year-old me would not have worked on 18-year-old me. I'm really drawing a blank trying to imagine how to present this poo poo as compelling in the face of early-twenties endless credit and instant gratification in the form of basically whatever you want.

I do have an idea how to mix it into the social studies curriculum, since it's not like personal finances exist in a vacuum outside of the politics of identity on which the SS curriculum is focused, but time will tell if that works.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
My freshman math teacher on career day explained to us what a 401k was by using a LN graph (we were just starting to use them) and it stuck with me long enough to be very interested in one. Haven't ever been eligible for one, but it made sense at the time and stuck. Finance classes can stick!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

I'm starting as a student teacher in September and I have no idea how to make finances meaningful for 15-19 year olds. The rhetoric of freedom and fear and sustainability that worked for 24-year-old me would not have worked on 18-year-old me. I'm really drawing a blank trying to imagine how to present this poo poo as compelling in the face of early-twenties endless credit and instant gratification in the form of basically whatever you want.

Sell the dream. "Who wants to be a millionaire here? Guess what? You don't have to be super smart or win the lottery to become a millionaire. If you just save a little money in the right places you can be a millionaire even if you spend your entire life working at McDonalds."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

Sell the dream. "Who wants to be a millionaire here? Guess what? You don't have to be super smart or win the lottery to become a millionaire. If you just save a little money in the right places you can be a millionaire even if you spend your entire life working at McDonalds."

Nobody wants to "be" a millionaire, though, they just want to live like one. That's the problem, not the dollars and cents of budgeting and saving. The idea that the best life is the life full of hedonistic excess and instant gratification.

I'd rather say, "Yeah, you can be a millionaire doing whatever job you want, but by the time you get there you won't give a gently caress what your net worth is because you'll have found ways to live a meaningful existence without ~things~. YOLO, guys, don't waste this one chance chasing the needle of bullshit plastic noisemakers."

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

tuyop posted:

I'd rather say, "Yeah, you can be a millionaire doing whatever job you want, but by the time you get there you won't give a gently caress what your net worth is because you'll have found ways to live a meaningful existence without ~things~. YOLO, guys, don't waste this one chance chasing the needle of bullshit plastic noisemakers."

Eh, not everyone is going to find happiness in an ascetic life, either. But everyone can benefit from realizing how quickly carrying a balance on a 29.9% credit card will gently caress you over - especially 18 year olds who will soon be deciding to borrow money on those terms or not.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 15, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Nobody wants to "be" a millionaire, though, they just want to live like one. That's the problem, not the dollars and cents of budgeting and saving. The idea that the best life is the life full of hedonistic excess and instant gratification.

I think people that are disciplined enough to become a millionaire with a modest income are the type to want actually be a millionaire, not spend live like one. (also most millionaires live in a very incognito fashion read Millionaire Next Door)

I know personally that my net worth milestones give me so much more satisfaction when I reach them than something like a brand new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

Eh, not everyone is going to find happiness in an aesthetic life, either.

I think you mean ascetic. An aesthetic life would kind of imply one of consumption and luxury.

• Locked thread