Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

-Atom- posted:

Yeah, I rewatched the fight since then.
by these stringent revisionist guidelines, are you going to claim that you literally never saw any footage of Mayhem after 2005

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MagicCube posted:

For the benefit of those without archives:

Nothing arguable you say?

gold mine.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Jones/Gus is the only fight my girlfriend has ever watched twice, specifically to score it round by round and she picked Gus both times. She had no particular beef with Jon Jones at the time but has since been educated. Also you don't want to argue with her.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

MagicCube posted:

what's :thejoke:?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

MagicCube posted:

ouch

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

MagicCube posted:

Beautiful

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The person who now says the fight was a clear and obvious victory for the incumbent champion originally was outraged by bad judging in the fight and had, in fact, awarded the fight to the challenger. He is a notoriously vocal Jon Jones dick rider and so it is an amusing recollection of events.

I loled.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The all important opinion, the one months after the scorecards are in

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Novum posted:

The person who now says the fight was a clear and obvious victory for the incumbent champion originally was outraged by bad judging in the fight and had, in fact, awarded the fight to the challenger. He is a notoriously vocal Jon Jones dick rider and so it is an amusing recollection of events.

I loled.

Can you please not compare homosexuals to -Atom-. They don't deserve that.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If Jon Jones discredits his opponents and -Atom- is not there to change his mind and defend him, will he still be a herb?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I actually like gays and -Atom- just fine, but if it offends either party I won't make the comparison anymore. Sorry.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
So I'm interested in following UFC although I admittedly know very little, other than what little I've gleamed from watching the odd PRIDE fight back in the 2000s and a handful of UFC fights here and there, plus by playing around with the 2009 UFC video game. I like BJJ since it seems to be more about skill and technique than about sheer strength (correct me if I'm wrong), so Demian Mata and BJ Penn have been some of my favorite guys. I know Mata is ranked #8 in the welterweight division right now and I'm curious as to if he's passed his prime or not. I'd also like to know more about the current crop of guys who I might not be as familiar with. Even the guys I do know I know very little about their personalities and antics; I only knew that Wanderlei Silva used to destroy people, not that he's also an idiot until I saw some of this thread. Kinda curious as to what people think of Anderson Silva since I know there was a time he was completely dominant and everyone loved him but I picked up that he recently got KO'd while showboating or something to that effect.

edit: Also curious if there is a good MMA podcast people recommend, most of those that I've tried are fairly Opie & Anthony-style, and I'd like one that was just news and analysis without a lot of macho sideshow (I suspect that may be a bit much)

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 15, 2014

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Panama Red posted:

So I'm interested in following UFC although I admittedly know very little, other than what little I've gleamed from watching the odd PRIDE fight back in the 2000s and a handful of UFC fights here and there, plus by playing around with the 2009 UFC video game. I like BJJ since it seems to be more about skill and technique than about sheer strength (correct me if I'm wrong), so Demian Mata and BJ Penn have been some of my favorite guys. I know Mata is ranked #8 in the welterweight division right now and I'm curious as to if he's passed his prime or not. I'd also like to know more about the current crop of guys who I might not be as familiar with. Even the guys I do know I know very little about their personalities and antics; I only knew that Wanderlei Silva used to destroy people, not that he's also an idiot until I saw some of this thread. Kinda curious as to what people think of Anderson Silva since I know there was a time he was completely dominant and everyone loved him but I picked up that he recently got KO'd while showboating or something to that effect.

edit: Also curious if there is a good MMA podcast people recommend, most of those that I've tried are fairly Opie & Anthony-style, and I'd like one that was just news and analysis without a lot of macho sideshow (I suspect that may be a bit much)

Demian Maia not Mata. I'd say he's in his prime right now, but at his peak he still has a lot of holes in his game (cardio and striking for instance). He probably can beat anyone in the division, but he would rightfully be the underdog against the guys ranked above him. I doubt he ever manages to get a title shot at this point. If Georges had stayed and they were starved for challengers it could've happen, but at this point it's doubtful. Based on your reasons for liking BJJ you might be interested in sport BJJ in which case I recommend you check out the grappling thread.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Panama Red posted:

MMA Podcasts - Joe Rogan Experience when he has MMA/BJJ dudes on is probably your best bet for a MMA podcast that doesn't suck, there's MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that doesn't suck on Mondays, I dunno if that counts as a podcast but it's Ariel talking to a bunch of managers/fighters or whatever and is a generally good source of news when Ariel doesn't spend 40 minutes prattling on about beards.

It's Maia btw not Mata and yea, he's probably past his prime and his worth as a fighter plummeted after losing to Jake Shields.

Wanderlei Silva has always been an idiot, it's just that in the past he was an intimidating idiot instead of a mumbling retard ogre.

As for the current crop of guys, look at the UFC rankings and watch some of their poo poo on Fight Pass. It's 10$ per month, not a heavy investment plus it gets you access to TUF: Brazil right now which will help on the whole personality thing w/ Chael and Wandy.

Anderson Silva would probably still beat the living gently caress out of the majority of the middleweight and LHW rosters but Weedman is apparently his kryptonite. The idiot posts about him losing because he was "showboating" are hella dumb because that's what Anderson does, it wasn't something new.

Anyway, if you have specific questions and don't wanna clog up the thread, feel free to join #mma on synirc.net where we can answer your poo poo.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Oh yea, and if you're interested in BJJ and think you'd prefer it to MMA check out Metamoris 3 from a few weeks back

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Panama Red posted:

Hello sir!

The old pride fights are a good knowledge base to have. Demian Maia was recently looking hella resurgent since dropping down to middleweight but the he ran into a skid, losing to Jake Shields in a tough grappling heavy match and Rory Macdonald in a bad kickboxing heavy match. I would say he's still worthy of your love and still has a chance at relevance.

BJ Penn is actually returning very soon as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter show opposite of Frankie Edgar, the guy who took his belt. They're both down at 145, a weight we haven't seen BJ at in the UFC so that's exciting.

Anderson Silva is still a cool guy, but there's a lot of Weidman fans here too.

What other guys do you want to know about?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

@guicruzzz 46s
Matt Hobar replaces Wilson Reis at TUF: Brazil 3 Finale (@guicruzzz) http://sbn.to/P3kWEG

That makes the final card for the finale

Main card
Junior dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic
TUF: Brazil 3 middleweight final
TUF: Brazil 3 heavyweight final
Demian Maia vs. Alexander Yakovlev
Rony Jason vs. Robbie Peralta

Undercard
Diego Brandao vs. Brian Ortega
Elias Silverio vs. Ernest Chavez
Rodrigo Damm vs. Rashid Magomedov
Paulo Thiago vs. Gasan Umalatov
Kevin Souza vs. Mark Eddiva
Pedro Munhoz vs. Matt Hobar

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Yuriy posted:

Anderson Silva would probably still beat the living gently caress out of the majority of the middleweight and LHW rosters but Weedman is apparently his kryptonite. The idiot posts about him losing because he was "showboating" are hella dumb because that's what Anderson does, it wasn't something new.

More specifically it's stupid because Anderson Silva is a counter striker, he does the "showboating" to get people to come in on him then he hits back. People have been saying for years that the fighter to beat Anderson would have to be a great wrestler with good striking, and that's Weidman

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Panama Red posted:

So I'm interested in following UFC although I admittedly know very little, other than what little I've gleamed from watching the odd PRIDE fight back in the 2000s and a handful of UFC fights here and there, plus by playing around with the 2009 UFC video game. I like BJJ since it seems to be more about skill and technique than about sheer strength (correct me if I'm wrong), so Demian Mata and BJ Penn have been some of my favorite guys. I know Mata is ranked #8 in the welterweight division right now and I'm curious as to if he's passed his prime or not.

His name is Maia and he's not past his prime, #8 is pretty good for a fighter who's a fantastic grappler but has awful standup, and runs out of options when he can't outgrapple a guy. He's never improved his striking to the point where he could have ever been a champion.

quote:

I'd also like to know more about the current crop of guys who I might not be as familiar with. Even the guys I do know I know very little about their personalities and antics; I only knew that Wanderlei Silva used to destroy people, not that he's also an idiot until I saw some of this thread. Kinda curious as to what people think of Anderson Silva since I know there was a time he was completely dominant and everyone loved him but I picked up that he recently got KO'd while showboating or something to that effect.

Some of PSP's favorites are Mark Hunt, Chael Sonnen, Frankie Edgar and Carlos Condit so there's probably something there and you can start by watching those guys' fights. Just watch a few of the recent PPVs like UFC 164 to UFC 167 to get a grasp on the current state of the sport. Anderson Silva is the greatest of all time, and will probably still be one of the best fighters in the UFC when he comes back from injury.

quote:

I like the MMA Hour, but I'm not really into podcasts and that's the only one I listen to. I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Mean Bean Machine posted:

His name is Maia and he's not past his prime, #8 is pretty good for a fighter who's a fantastic grappler but has awful standup, and runs out of options when he can't outgrapple a guy. He's never improved his striking to the point where he could have ever been a champion.

Some of PSP's favorites are Mark Hunt, Chael Sonnen, Frankie Edgar and Carlos Condit so there's probably something there and you can start by watching those guys' fights. Just watch a few of the recent PPVs like UFC 164 to UFC 167 to get a grasp on the current state of the sport. Anderson Silva is the greatest of all time, and will probably still be one of the best fighters in the UFC when he comes back from injury.

Also the Diaz bros which if you like personality in fighters are probably great people to become fans of

I dunno why y'all are being delusional about Maia though, dude is gonna be cut on his next loss and probably should have been earlier if they're cutting guys like Shields and Okami

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Watch the Mark Hunt vs Bigfoot Silva fight. Hunt versus Junior Del Santos is also good.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yuriy posted:

Main card

Undercard

I think the main event is the only fight out of 11 where I've actually heard of both fighters. Actually I vaguely recall Peralta as well from that one fight where he accidentally headbutted a dude and it got changed to a NC. But seriously, who are most of these people.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Panama Red posted:

I like BJJ since it seems to be more about skill and technique than about sheer strength (correct me if I'm wrong), so Demian Mata and BJ Penn have been some of my favorite guys.

This is more true when wearing the gi than in no-gi or MMA. BJ Penn has excellent bjj but his best grappling performances where against dudes he could physically overpower, or who were just plain bad, or when he kept hitting Gomi in the dick and the ref just smiled and nodded.

I would point to Roger Gracie, the greatest bjj player of all times, being thoroughly outgrappled by Tim Kennedy because Gracie refused to workout.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

coconono posted:

Hanging out with Gray Maynard doesn't sound fun at all.

Hanging out with fighters owns mate.

Panama Red posted:

Speaking of which, JT has been messaging me about restarting Colossal Concerns again.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 15, 2014

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Yuriy posted:

Main card

Undercard

great stuff.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

the ufc is hiring a special effects company to rejig their fancy intro so none of the guys have faces and the music is just the "who, who, who" part from the annoying song repeated for 1 minute and 30 seconds

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I like how brazil cards are always full of russian guys for some reason

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

henkman posted:

I like how brazil cards are always full of russian guys for some reason

Because they're generally grapply dudes and wrestlefucking Brazilians never gets not funny.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Panama Red posted:

I'd also like to know more about the current crop of guys who I might not be as familiar with. Even the guys I do know I know very little about their personalities and antics; I only knew that Wanderlei Silva used to destroy people, not that he's also an idiot until I saw some of this thread. Kinda curious as to what people think of Anderson Silva since I know there was a time he was completely dominant and everyone loved him but I picked up that he recently got KO'd while showboating or something to that effect.

Nth-ing The MMA Hour. I have always liked Ariel despite his quirks.

As for Anderson. There was mixed opinions of him. He garnered a lot of ill will a few years back putting on lackluster performances against competition that he should have been able to put the pressure on and finish. The worst of which was his title defense against Maia. But then he came back and started knocking fools out again and regained a lot of fans.

Then Weidman happened. Weidman had a lot of question marks going into the fight with Silva but he was legitimately a nightmare match up stylistically in that Weidman is a strong wrestler (andersons historic weakness) with a very long reach (one of anderson's historic advantages). The first fight wasnt JUST showboating. That is a tactic Anderson uses to goad people into standing and exchanging with him. And he had to keep his hands way down to defend the takedown and he relied on his stellar head movement to keep him safe. But then Weidman threw a brillian combination that included a back hand that suckered Silva's head right into a big let hook that put him to sleep.

As for current crops of guys to watch for:
The Dagestanis all have been tearing up the ranks with varying degrees of success. They are generally pretty wrestley and have fun suplexes. Most notably Nurmegamedov, Khabilov, and Bagautinov. (those are probably all spelled wrong)
If you like Maia you should love Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. They were kinda rivals of sorts in the BJJ world given they fought in the same class, and if i recall Jacare won the majority of their bouts. He has a VICIOUS top game and explosive striking and takedowns.
You should also check out Charles Oliviera. Very talented young man in th 145 lbs division. Slick jui jitsu and fun stand up. Showed a lot of improvement in his bout against PSP favorie F. Edgar.
Also, any Team Alpha Male Fighter is good for fun fights with scrambles, subs and fun striking and most are near the tops of their division (Chad Mendes, TJ Dillishaw, Urijah Faber, Joseph Benividez)
Lastly I will say you should check out a guy named Alex Caceres. He came off a season of TUF that was iminiently watchable, and has since developed into not just a very fun fighter, but also seems to be quite good these days.

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 15, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

coconono posted:

Because they're generally grapply dudes and wrestlefucking Brazilians never gets not funny.

The thundering silence of a Brazilian crowd after a Brazilian gets wrestlefucked into a lose is sweet music.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Yuriy posted:

Maia ... probably should have been earlier if they're cutting guys like Shields and Okami

Eh, if you look at what they've done:

Jake Shields had 8 UFC fights: 0 finishes, 0 bonuses
Yushin Okami had 18 UFC fights: 5 finishes, 0 bonuses
Demian Maia has 18 UFC fights: 7 finishes, 5 bonuses

Shields had an awful UFC career & had it coming, Okami's career was decent and was cut a bit short, and Maia has had the best career of the three. I agree that if Maia loses this next fight against a nobody he should be cut but the Chris Weidman fight was his last bad match. Since then it's been good. Hell, Maia is what allowed UFC to dump Fitch so they're probably grateful for that, and if he had done the same to Shields they would have rewarded him with a shot at Johny Hendricks.

Maia has been a frustrating fighter to be a fan of but I don't think he's valueless at 170 yet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Panama Red posted:

If you like BJJ you should like Jacare Souza. His BJJ is on the level of Maia's, but he punched Okami's head off a while ago which is almost impossible to do.

I used to know how to get people into the sport, but I'm not sure if I do anymore. Try and watch lots of fights? Though the sheer volume of fights probably makes it a bit harder to get into, ironically.

Maybe try this: Find highlight videos on youtube, of guys you like or just anyone. If they seem cool, try watching some of the fights featured in those videos. After a while you'll come to appreciate certain fighters over others, and this is usually when the sport starts to hook you in. If you want recommendations I'm sure we can help.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Yuriy posted:

Also the Diaz bros which if you like personality in fighters are probably great people to become fans of

I dunno why y'all are being delusional about Maia though, dude is gonna be cut on his next loss and probably should have been earlier if they're cutting guys like Shields and Okami

Except i dont think Maia is demanding the same paycheque as Shields and Okami. Also, not boring.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Youtube a Mark Hunt highlight reel and join me in celebrating the tubbiest fighter in the sport.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I dont think Maia really matches up to Okami

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Whatever happened to Paul sass

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Google Butt posted:

Whatever happened to Paul sass

Subbed by Wiman, decisioned by Castillo, released. Subbed a dude in Bellator back in October.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
TJ Waldburger is also a fun grappler and submission guy but he keeps getting terrible matchups with guys out of his league and usually ends getting the poo poo beaten out of him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

I dont think Maia really matches up to Okami

one is shorter than the other, yeah.

Otherwise both had a similar UFC career with some overlapping opponents: Sonnen, Marquardt, Munoz, Anderson, maybe others I can't remember. Neither guy won their title bouts and they had losses in a few contender fights. I dunno what's Okami's philosophy on fighting but it can't be too different from Maia's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Poster who wants to know what to watch, you should get a free fightpass trial and watch all of Johny Hendricks fights, and you should, because every fight is awesome except the josh koscheck fight and hes only going to be in more great fights in the next couple years. Hes the champ of one of the historically best divisions and there are a bunch of great contenders. His last fight v lawler isnt on the fightpass but its pretty much locked down fight of the year, unless he tops it.

• Locked thread