Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Would it not be easier to try and get a US instructor who speaks Japanese instead of expecting the entire JASDF to speak English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You have to speak English to fly anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blistex posted:

Would it not be easier to try and get a US instructor who speaks Japanese instead of expecting the entire JASDF to speak English?

All pilots are supposedly proficient in English.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

hobbesmaster posted:

All pilots are supposedly proficient in English.

The word 'proficient' appears to have a fairly flexible definition based on some of these recordings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

The word 'proficient' appears to have a fairly flexible definition based on some of these recordings.

Well for the most part that's handled by the individual nations they're registered with so...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I thought the story was that the pilot was only pretending to not understand and was razzing the instructor because he had a reputation for being a dick? Then again he was boiling alive and almost popped the canopy off so maybe it wasn't a prank.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Psion posted:

top secret members-only ridge? Sent you a PM.

e: uhhh nice, Fifi's flying in a couple times this summer. Yeah I'll go see a B-29, absolutely.

Fifi is amazing. I have footage of that and a B-24 buzzing me on take-off and two low level passes. Maybe 150ft up, right at the end of the Stewart runway (pre-9/11). Sadly, it's on VHS and lost to time.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Eej posted:

I thought the story was that the pilot was only pretending to not understand and was razzing the instructor because he had a reputation for being a dick? Then again he was boiling alive and almost popped the canopy off so maybe it wasn't a prank.

Why can't each person in the cockpit control their own heat settings? It seems sort of a dick move by the McDonnell Douglas engineers to only give that ability to one person, but also make them separate controls for the front and rear cockpit. I assume that they're separate controls, otherwise the Japanese pilot would have been simultaneously turning up the heat on himself too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Craptacular posted:

Why can't each person in the cockpit control their own heat settings? It seems sort of a dick move by the McDonnell Douglas engineers to only give that ability to one person, but also make them separate controls for the front and rear cockpit. I assume that they're separate controls, otherwise the Japanese pilot would have been simultaneously turning up the heat on himself too.

Well, it wasn't built ground up as a trainer so who knows how that came about (F-5 has the same origin).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Craptacular posted:

It seems sort of a dick move by the McDonnell Douglas engineers to only give that ability to one person

I think you mean Northrop... in which case it probably was a dick move

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

I think you mean Northrop... in which case it probably was a dick move

Whoops it'd been awhile since I'd seen that video and I thought it was an F-15 for some reason.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Craptacular posted:

Its shared ducting to a mixing area of some sort from engine bleed air. My impression if it is it just simplifies the entire system to have one set of shared ducting to each pilot (whether it be tandem or side by side) with one set of controls then two sets of ducting. The real simplicity being that you can shut off the flow of bleed air into the cockpit if there is a problem at one source, not having to do it twice.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Blistex posted:

That isn't training the entire JASDF goes to...that was part of a training exchange type deal where the JASDF sends a couple of students every year over to the US where they go through USAF pilot training.

Also, as others have pointed out, you're supposed to be proficient in English if you're flying seeing as how it is the language of aviation.

"Proficient" being a relatively flexible term.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

iyaayas01 posted:

Also, as others have pointed out, you're supposed to be proficient in English if you're flying seeing as how it is the language of aviation.

"Proficient" being a relatively flexible term.

You don't actually *have* to be proficient in English to be a pilot...only if you're going to be flying internationally. In most countries where English isn't the official language (and let's face it, that's most of them), you don't need to know a word of English to hold a license. Hell, you don't even need to know English to hold a license in Quebec.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Flying around in the more northern airspace controlled by Montreal Centre is pretty awesome for that. There is a split 50/50 of French and English controlling going on and it always impresses me how effortlessly those controllers switch back and forth.

Northern Quebec flights in uncontrolled areas can also be a fun time with respect to 126.7 traffic reports. Doubly so when you are the only anglophone around. :haw:

Freshwater Louie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 13, 2014

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Flying around in Ottawa gets to be hilarious - I guess a lot of the francophone pilots don't realize that YOW airspace is staffed entirely by billingual controllers, so you get some THICK french accents struggling with their english. I stuggled to keep it together once when this guy with the most hilariously stereotypical accent rolled through and would emphasize the hell out of the Quebec in his registration, "Hhhottawa Terminal, its alfa bravo KEEYBECK!, 3000'."

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
We had Thunder over Louisville this weekend, Blue Angels + F22s was the highlights. I had my rtl-sdr setup and got flawless reception all day long and somehow lucked into every single show frequency, including the F22s, though they didn't talk a lot. The Blue Angels are bizzzare to listen to. It was trippy watching them on tv, hearing them, and then seeing the formation rocket over the backyard all in real time.

The sdr has been totally worth the $20 I've spent so far, very fun toy. I'm probably going to pick up a second to do ADSB or maybe try to capture weather satellite imagery.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

revmoo posted:

We had Thunder over Louisville this weekend, Blue Angels + F22s was the highlights. I had my rtl-sdr setup and got flawless reception all day long and somehow lucked into every single show frequency, including the F22s, though they didn't talk a lot. The Blue Angels are bizzzare to listen to. It was trippy watching them on tv, hearing them, and then seeing the formation rocket over the backyard all in real time.

The sdr has been totally worth the $20 I've spent so far, very fun toy. I'm probably going to pick up a second to do ADSB or maybe try to capture weather satellite imagery.

You can build a stealth-defying radar out of 2+ RTLs :science:, you could also have the f-22 on radar while watching in on TV, intercepting it's communications and watching it do loopy loops. And it's passive, do not fear the FCC/FBI sponsored Guantanamo vacations!

http://kaira.sgo.fi/search/label/passive%20radar

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
So US Airways loving owns.

Also if you work in PR they will probably have a job opening in the near future.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Also if you work in PR they will probably have a job opening in the near future.

Best reply I've seen so far

'Aer Lingus'

e: Vanessa Ramos: 'Charging $60 for checking 2 bags is still the grossest thing US Airways has ever done'

movax fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 14, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

revmoo posted:

The wife, kids, and I drove through Louisville Thursday around lunch time and the Angels were practicing flying around downtown. We were caught in that construction on 65 there, so I rolled down the windows and opened the sunroof so we could get some air and so we could hear them passing over. My daughters were suitably impressed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

iyaayas01 posted:

Somebody had the wrong URL in their clipboard. :suicide:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

So that's where MH 370 went.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MrChips posted:

So that's where MH 370 went.

That CNN guy was half right with his black hole theory.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

priznat posted:

That CNN guy was half right with his black hole theory.
Pink is the new black.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The danger of not having a long enough landing strip is an overrun and gash landing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

a 2nd plane has hit the butthole

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bitcoin bastard posted:

a 2nd plane has hit the butthole

The third one crashed down the throat.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

The third one crashed down the throat.

Two Airbuses are now Eiffel Towering.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Landing strip joke in 3...2....1....

e: nooooooo

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 15, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Tsuru posted:

Widebody Fokker

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tsuru posted:

You missed it:

Previa_fun posted:

The danger of not having a long enough landing strip is an overrun and gash landing.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
At least a towel is a far easier and cheaper recovery kit for a runway overrun than the jacks, tow cables and spreader boards you need in reality...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Once you go A380, you'll never go back.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Stubby and fat? :haw:

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

IOwnCalculus posted:

I want to say AN-225, but I don't think it'll fit...

:rimshot:

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

I just came across this basic aircraft design tutorial from the kerbal space program thread. It is for a video game but it does a good job of explaining many basic concepts in aircraft design. Plane nerds should enjoy this.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Wow. I'm totally getting that game the next time it's on Steam special.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ctishman posted:

Wow. I'm totally getting that game the next time it's on Steam special.

You really should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Not enough explosions