Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Even 45000 beats the poo poo out of cost of living though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, at least out here in the sticks.

caberham posted:

45,000 a month? You do get an apartment or living arrangements right? So how much does a dish washer make, and how much does a regular office worker make?

Newly hired CTs earn 30,000, for longer hours. No apartment provided, thank god, it'd be like being back in school. They helped find me one, though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My first apartment in Taipei cost 6000NT a month.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

My first apartment in Taipei cost 6000NT a month.

I'm paying 4300 per month now in Taipei student dormitory

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TetsuoTW posted:

I think McDonald's and the like pay like NT$150 an hour.

I believe McDonald's will start them out at minimum wage. I saw help wanted signs at Family Mart and KFC for $103/hr a couple years ago, and starting this year the minimum is 115. It hasn't been that long since I saw those so even if there's a little upward pressure (which there probably isn't given the political squawking over wages) I don't think they'd start more than a few dollars over minimum still.

caberham posted:

45,000 a month? You do get an apartment or living arrangements right? So how much does a dish washer make, and how much does a regular office worker make?

Minimum wage for a month is 19,273. University graduates can expect to make in the low 20s, say 23-24k a month. If someone went to a good school with good grades and/or have a STEM degree I've heard they'll make a little bit more, maybe 27k or so? There was some minor uproar a while ago because a survey discovered that some very high percent of 台大 graduates made under 30k even though it's a super strong school, I'll try to dig that up.

Edit:
Found 2 interesting articles that are somewhat contradictory, one saying students start at ~26k/month and the other saying even graduates of prestigious schools only start at 22k.
http://pro.udnjob.com/mag2/pro/storypage.jsp?f_ART_ID=92734
http://big5.huaxia.com/thpl/tdyh/msj/2013/03/3236742.html
I haven't heard of huaxia or udnjob so I don't know if either of these are the equivalent of O'Reilly's no spin zone.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 15, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Having school provided housing isn't bad at all. It just means I have to live walking distance from my school. The place is perfectly nice, three bedroom two bath, a separate kitchen. The only downside is that if the school hired another teacher, they'd be able to live there too. But living there isn't mandatory. It's just the cheapest way to live. In five years, there's only been a couple of months that I had to share the place. Comparing it to most of the places I've seen downtown, and it's way nicer.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm paying 23K/Mo.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
The government actually paid companies 22k per employee to hire recent grads. Before this policy was introduced, the average starting salary was more like 30k a month. Not to mention Taiwan doesn't have a big unemployment problem to begin with. Literally all this does is encourage depression of wages, way to go Taiwan.

Hey, we can read the China Post now.
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/editorial/taiwan-issues/2010/04/09/251755/Govt-needs.htm

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

What?

I'm not sure what's being said here, could you not read it the past 2/3 years?

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Well i'm currently on 45k or so for a little under 20 hours work. With rent at around 8-10k it's really not that bad.

But then again I came out here for relaxation and not a professional ambition, so low hours at survivable pay (at a small family English school) is pretty ideal. 'Different Folks' and all that I suppose.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BottledBacon posted:

Well i'm currently on 45k or so for a little under 20 hours work. With rent at around 8-10k it's really not that bad.

But then again I came out here for relaxation and not a professional ambition, so low hours at survivable pay (at a small family English school) is pretty ideal. 'Different Folks' and all that I suppose.

I'm with you. I work 12 hours a week, and am in school here also. Before school I worked the 12 plus another 6 in other schools filling in for single classes. All at 600-650 an hour. It's really not a bad deal and working so little at a single place allows me to avoid the majority of the drama because I'm at the school for 4 hours a day at most. No office work either, I have friends that do the whole 60-80k a month thing but they bust their asses to do it and get extremely stressed out. I'd rather have no money and more time and freedom. There's so much bullshit from parents and bosses that don't know what they're doing here anyway; I can't imagine trying to deal with actually attempting to do a really "professional" job anyway.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I do 25hrs on salary and 10 hours above that hourly for over 100k. It only took 10 years to get the hours and money. It is pretty stress free and the salary hours includes office time! Not every teaching job with a lot of hours is nearly as lovely as people think.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

As of today I work 0 hours and make NT$0 a month.

Also I take back everything I ever said, The China Post is an awful paper and most (but not all) of the reporters are lazy idiots and nobody should read it.

Still not pro-KMT though.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
lovely news. Hope you find something soon

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Also I take back everything I ever said, The China Post is an awful paper and most (but not all) of the reporters are lazy idiots and nobody should read it.

Dump some dirt.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Did you get fired?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

/\/\/\/\
Yes.

Barto posted:

Dump some dirt.

Only one reporter actually goes out and talks to people in the news and does journalist stuff. Everyone else just sits there with a copy of a Chinese-language paper spread out on their desk copying what's already been written.

If you see a story by one Katherine Wei there's a good chance it contains a paragraph that was copied and pasted from Wikipedia.

EDIT: Heading out to get wasted with some now-former coworkers, so I may make some more vitriolic, if less comprehensible, posts about the place later on.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 17, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That's what Line is for.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sucks, dude.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Funniest part is they apparently decided to get rid of me a while ago and waited until now, after our part time guy had already left. So now they're down to 2 copy-editors, one of whom is still fairly new. And they have to train in 2 new people at the same time. It's honestly baffling.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

That's rough, I hope you have enough cash to enjoy your downtime between jobs.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Torn between wanting to read it everyday to see all the additional mistakes that'll get through now that they'll be super rushed and never wanting to see it again.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Take a couple of weeks. Chill the gently caress out.

Get your release papers immediately, threaten legal action if they are not produced within a few days of your asking! Ciaran will bow to this. Update your LinkedIn and get your skin back in the game asap. Use the current LinkedIn free month trial. It's quite good.

The next job you have will take a while to sort out your ARC etc, so if you think you're going to need to do the hop to HK or whatever, book a seat now so you're not hit with a heavy expense when you least need it. (My last bounce cost me 12K because the hiring firm took a literal fukn age to process anything.) Booking the seat now is of no real issue, if you need to use it, you will, if you don't, you can kick the can down the road and use it for a nice w/e away or whatevs.

Get Tom, Alan, whoever elses' FB, and get your references lined up. Ideally printed for you to hand out.

But yeah, gently caress the CP's employment practices. Daniel does exactly this every 4-6 months, it's loving lame.

url fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 17, 2014

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

url posted:

But yeah, gently caress the CP's employment practices. Daniel does exactly this every 4-6 months, it's loving lame.

Don't think I've forgotten that you told me this exact thing would happen to me.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
Taiwan recently changed the rules so that white collar and student visa foreigners can stay for 6 months to find a job or new job, so you have that going for you.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

Don't think I've forgotten that you told me this exact thing would happen to me.

I'm honestly sad that it bud, I would rather have been wrong.

Whatever I can do, just ask, you have me on LINE etc etc etc.
Cash, crash, etc, just shout, I'll do what I can.

Poker is on tonight, it's the 1K game, turn up, drink beer, press flesh, start networking.
Or just turn up and drink beer!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Oh yeah, the final thing I have to say on a public forum....
Get Your Money!

Do go get it, today!
Do not wait until you pass go, do not accept any excuses. They tried to withhold 110K from me, on a promise of, "sure when the pay cycle comes around" despite me not being on a pay cycle.

Walk in, stand tall, sit at the desk and say "I will wait while you run to the cash point".

You were actually entitled to legal notice and all sorts of poo poo, they have (again) apparently waivered all that legal goodness.
I'm free if you want someone to sit in the office with you. I'm kinda bored and wouldn't mind some face time with Daniel.

Just saying.

Don't be afraid to be petty! Odds are you are correct.

Get it today - It's owed to you.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Also drop me a PM or something with your actual name and email if you're interested in freelance editing work. I don't get a ton of it, but I'm always glad to have trustworthy options to refer work to if I can't accept a job. It won't cover the visa requirements or anything, and it certainly won't be (large or regular) enough to live on, but even so....

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Also drop me a PM or something with your actual name and email if you're interested in freelance editing work. I don't get a ton of it, but I'm always glad to have trustworthy options to refer work to if I can't accept a job. It won't cover the visa requirements or anything, and it certainly won't be (large or regular) enough to live on, but even so....

goon love :glomp:

Similarly, my gf usually has an abundance of work. Right now I couldn't swear to there being money in it (take a pass until you're shy, we can work something out), but it's definitely resume worthy, and will push CP one off the top of your resume. It's a last port of call type thing, but... any port in a storm and all that jazz.

Hoping to see you at poker tonight Testsuo :)

url fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 18, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Moon slayer,

Hk goon base welcomes you. King blood nose is back so you can crash in his ghost house.

If you t goons are going to make a visa run, pick hk and come to our goon hang outs

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

These were the best posts I could possibly wake up horribly hungover to just now. You all own.

url posted:

Oh yeah, the final thing I have to say on a public forum....
Get Your Money!

They did actually give me money, a half month's worth of pay plus about 10k in severance. I was basically told "we are severing you, go upstairs and get your money then get out." They had it already all in an envelope and everything. I imagine they didn't want me around the office potentially making a scene or doing what every copyeditor having a bad day dreamed about and slipping the phrase "Taiwan belongs to Beijing" into a story somewhere.

TetsuoTW posted:

Sent.

on the left posted:

Taiwan recently changed the rules so that white collar and student visa foreigners can stay for 6 months to find a job or new job, so you have that going for you.

Is this really the case? Not doubting, just would like to know for sure. My ARC is good until October but I imagine with my contract terminated my work visa is as well. Not that I wouldn't mind another excuse to go to Hong Kong, because

caberham posted:

Moon slayer,

Hk goon base welcomes you. King blood nose is back so you can crash in his ghost house.

If you t goons are going to make a visa run, pick hk and come to our goon hang outs

These guys are awesome.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

Hoping to see you at poker tonight Testsuo :)
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. A mate's having a goodbye do tonight, so I'll be late if I'm there at all. He is married and has a recently-post-baby child, though, so I can't imagine it'll be an all-night bender or anything.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Ahh well, if you do cool, if not, next time I guess.

I hope all is well either way.

Moon Slayer posted:

They did actually give me money, a half month's worth of pay plus about 10k in severance. I was basically told "we are severing you, go upstairs and get your money then get out." They had it already all in an envelope and everything. I imagine they didn't want me around the office potentially making a scene or doing what every copyeditor having a bad day dreamed about and slipping the phrase "Taiwan belongs to Beijing" into a story somewhere.

Colour me impressed.

caberham posted:

Moon slayer,

I missed my chance last time, my timing was too tight.

I'll not make the same mistake twice.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
My home in Hong Kong is always open for those in need of free accommodation. Just buy the pizza if you can.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Dang, I should have joined the thread sooner. I did a HK run on new years day and couldn't afford a hotel, so I only spent about 4 hours in the city then flew right back (I got a fridge-magnet and a Bruce Lee postcard to prove I'd visited at least).

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Bloodnose posted:

My home in Hong Kong is always open for those in need of free accommodation. Just buy the pizza if you can.

Done deal. I'll be needing a
Bounce in around 8 weeks. I still owe Caberham a bottle from my last run. It'd be nice to do both things right.

I'm always down for pizza :)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Poker was super fun last night. Didn't mean to get that wasted, but losing with pocket kings to a straight was a great way to go out. Hope to be back for the next small game, and hopefully do more winning.

Moon Slayer posted:

I saw that!

In the opinion of the totally unbiased China Post the most important news stories for today is that Wang Jin-pyng is actually mean to protesters. Don't think he was nice to them. He was really mean the entire time. For real.

That could either be news, or it could be some real dumb mudslinging at a guy who sort of solved the problem but is unpopular in the KMT. It's not like the China Post is :foxnews:, it's just that they present things in a way that definitely shows bias. To a normal person, the subtitle is fine for the article "Infighting among KMT after protests" to the China Post that title isn't particularly flattering to the KMT so it's important to help people understand that the real story is "Wang mean to protesters".

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

See, if you're focusing on the headline, the thing is we don't have there wasn't a lot of freedom when it came to headline writing. For all the pages, but in particular page one, all the stories, pictures and captions get would get arranged first, then we I would come in and do the headlines. So those two lines there are all the space we have I had to work with. There is some loving around with spacing that can be done, but not much.

So I'm curious what you would have written for that headline. Keep in mind it has to fit that space and you also only have about five to ten minutes to write it, plus every other one on that page because it's already 11:20 p.m. so only 25 minutes before deadline and there's another two pages that need headlines and the local stories need to be rechecked because when you went through them the first time earlier you were rushed so you're sure there were some mistakes you missed and ...

tl;dr its more the limits of the print medium than us them wringing our their hands going "how can we twist this to make it more appealing to pan-blue readers?"

NINJA EDIT: Also I'm sorry I missed poker, I was still hungover enough to want to stay in, plus the reality of what happened was starting to sink in yesterday and I probably wouldn't have been great company.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Ya poker was good fun, thanks for coming, always good to see you; and yeah, if you're gonna go, losing with pocket kings is totally the way to go.
The Brandon guy cleared up last night, I think he went down to 300NT$ then came back up to 6K and change.

Not too shabby for a night's work. We wrapped up around 5ish all told.

I have to get a handle on the housekeeping. I think we were 1500 shy on the booze tab, not you of course Spanish, but yeah, it's a pain when it happens.
I'm thinking of using a mini whiteboard with a running tally might be easiest.
Low-tech, low maintainence, alternative suggestions for good housekeeping appreciated.

The next small game is in two weeks: Friday, May 2nd, 500NT$ buy-ins.

Rock up to the place whenever you fancy MoonSlayer, I'm in there at least a couple of nights a week, a) to do my Chinese homework, b) to have a couple of beers of an evening without being molested.

url fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Brandon did say that he had a good night. Hopefully I'll be able to recoup some of the 2 grand I left behind at the next game.

quote:

tl;dr its more the limits of the print medium than us them wringing our their hands going "how can we twist this to make it more appealing to pan-blue readers?"

Cool cool. I'm sure that it just happens to work out that way a lot. The China Post is probably the one newspaper in the world that doesn't have any bias.

(I probably would have gone with not pretending that a story about Wang being secretly against the protesters is worth the front page in the first place)

Incidentally I sent in my resume about the copy editing position at the China Post. Do you think they'll take me? I can probalby look at a picture of Ma Ying Jeou without vomiting, if the price is right.