Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna draft Martin McFly as my back to the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

What do you mean "back of the future"? The only backs of the future are the ones you draft. The Dolphins didn't sign Moreno to be their back of the future, just as the Jets wouldn't sign CJ to be the same. The point is that signing a RB at age 29 or older is historically a bad idea. A league average back like Moreno at 27 is a better backup signing than a 29 yo former star. It's not like either team is paying these backs much money. It's about reasonable expectations, and a reasonable expectation is that Johnson is going to decline massively, while Moreno is going to continue to be average.

McMagic also said Moreno was the same level as MJD in terms of age and carries.

Look up the ages and number of carries. Moreno is brought in to split carries with another young RB and it's laffo Miami signed another old poo poo Rb but the jets sign a guy even older with over TWICE the carries and it's meh.

It's a depth signing on both parts. It was stupid as hell to criticize any move made at this point because it's meaningless in terms of cap. Miami actually upgraded their #2 anyway and brought in the best pass blocking Rb available. Good 3rd down back.

Well that and he's gonna run for 2000 yards and then be inducted hall of fame clearly.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 15, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Arg phone

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

McMagic also said Moreno was the same level as MJD in terms of age and carries.

Look up the ages and number of carries. Moreno is brought in to split carries with another young RB and it's laffo Miami signed another old poo poo Rb but the jets sign a guy even older with over TWICE the carries and it's meh.

It's a depth signing on both parts. It was stupid as hell to criticize any move made at this point because it's meaningless in terms of cap. Miami actually upgraded their #2 anyway and brought in the best pass blocking Rb available. Good 3rd down back.

Well that and he's gonna run for 2000 yards and then be inducted hall of fame clearly.

Does it matter that Moreno has less caries because he was hurt multiple times in addition to getting benched multiple times because he sucked and didn't have a good year until you put him into the best passing offense in NFL history? That isn't relevant?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
When it factually disproves your statement from before? Yup it sure does.

Signing a year contract paying a guy to be a split carry back when he is coming off 1000+ yards running 10 Tds and is a great pass blocker to follow up a terrible fumble machine isn't a terrible signing no matter how many times you move the goalposts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

When it factually disproves your statement from before? Yup it sure does.

Signing a year contract paying a guy to be a split carry back when he is coming off 1000+ yards running 10 Tds and is a great pass blocker to follow up a terrible fumble machine isn't a terrible signing no matter how many times you move the goalposts.

Yea nothing you're saying here changes any of the facts i just posted so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I guess if you want to ignore all context of his season last year and the rest of his career to make yourself able to defend what your team did, go for it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I was under the impression the main complaint was cutting Smith for no benefit, but I might be getting that mixed up with the Eagles and Jackson not helping out their cap at all. Did the Panthers free up any significant money cutting Smith?

We still owe him $5M, so not really. The biggest offenders eating up our money right now are a couple linebackers who aren't even on the team anymore and our running backs, as well as Greg Hardy's new franchise tag. Smith even said he was willing to restructure his contract to help with the cap situation, so his cut was pretty clearly done for personal reasons.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It was pretty much a personal thing. Keep in mind that 3 games into last season, everyone was calling for Rivera and Gettleman to get out of town. Things could still change in a good way if they hit on a good WR in a very deep class.

Or they could go to poo poo and maybe Cam will leave for the KC Chiefs next year and the Panthers can have the Alex Smith they deserve.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Only McMagic can get into a pissing contest over a signing as irrelevent as backup running back

Quick name 10 backup running backs in the NFL without googling

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was going to try that but the first two that popped into my head were Montee Ball and Shonn Greene so I gave up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Only McMagic can get into a pissing contest over a signing as irrelevent as backup running back

Robert Turbin
Christine Michaels
Kendall Hunter
Lamichael James
Andre Ellington
Chris Johnson
Knowshon Moreno
:geno:

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

mcmagic posted:

Yea nothing you're saying here changes any of the facts i just posted so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I guess if you want to ignore all context of his season last year and the rest of his career to make yourself able to defend what your team did, go for it.

I'd rather have LaGarrette Blount, Donald Brown, MJD, Ben Tate, or Knoshon Moreno than Chris Johnson.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think you're likely to name backups within your division and whatever division you see the most on TV in your region. But I couldn't tell you who the backup is in Jacksonville or Tennessee or New Orleans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I know you can name a New Orleans backup, you're just blanking right now if you can't. He was the proto-Trent Richardson and we all make fun of him every time he comes in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay I remember now. Never Draft Bama Backs (even Lacy)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Chris Ivory would still be the primary back and he owns so I guess people won't like our 3rd down guy oh no.

e: also...
@RapSheet
The #49ers have signed WR Brandon Lloyd. He’s back after a year off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gerty posted:

I'd rather have LaGarrette Blount, Donald Brown, MJD, Ben Tate, or Knoshon Moreno than Chris Johnson.

Brown, Blount, Moreno and the 2014 version of MJD are total JAG's. You're better off drafting a 4th round rookie. Tate has some upside I guess and I would put Johnson at his level, minimal upside. I hope the jets give him less carries than Ivory.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 15, 2014

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

knile davis
cyrus gray
bilal powell
fred jackson
isaiah pead
james franklin
ben tate
trent richardson/ahmad bradshaw dependent on week
bernard pierce
ronnie hillman
matt asiata

i dunno, the point is they get way more play than backup QBs and everyone wet themselves over weeden getting picked up in dallas

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's no way you knew James Franklin unless you were a Packers fan a UCLA homer or you googled

e: it's Jonathan Franklin, anyway, James Franklin is the coach who covered up a rape at Vanderbilt and then hilariously got chosen to be head coach at Penn State, a college that's never had any kind of similar coverup scandal

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 15, 2014

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Ray Rice.

Did I do this right?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

There's no way you knew James Franklin unless you were a Packers fan a UCLA homer or you googled

e: it's Jonathan Franklin, anyway, James Franklin is the coach who covered up a rape at Vanderbilt and then hilariously got chosen to be head coach at Penn State, a college that's never had any kind of similar coverup scandal

I moved to Wisconsin last year. I know most of the roster just by walking through the office.

e: James Franklin was the QB for Mizzou last year

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
In other signings someone somewhere will care about - whose the best free agent currently? Freeman?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Matt Flynn

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Coming from the guy who then claimed he was unaware chris Johnson had been declining over the past three years. Just to mentally backflip his way to saying he wasn't wrong the point was just misunderstood. Ok.

(The Moreno signing doesn't need defending because it's zero risk to Miami btw)

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 15, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Coming from the guy who then claimed he was unaware chris Johnson had been declining over the past three years. Just to mentally backflip his way to saying he wasn't wrong the point was just misunderstood. Ok.

(The Moreno signing doesn't need defending because it's zero risk to Miami btw)

Of course there is a risk, the opportunity cost of not drafting a better RB.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The CJ signing is no risk too, it's just dumb because you shouldn't sign 29+ yo backs. Honestly both teams could have and maybe should have drafted a RB, but I guess CJ/Moreno have some experience receiving and blocking, or something. I wouldn't sign CJ though. The Jets should just draft.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

About that....

@AdamSchefter: QB Matt Flynn reached agreement with the Packers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

whypick1 posted:

About that....

@AdamSchefter: QB Matt Flynn reached agreement with the Packers.

Proof I was right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The CJ signing is no risk too, it's just dumb because you shouldn't sign 29+ yo backs. Honestly both teams could have and maybe should have drafted a RB, but I guess CJ/Moreno have some experience receiving and blocking, or something. I wouldn't sign CJ though. The Jets should just draft.

Agreed.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Backup RBs from the top of my mind:

Bears-Michael Bush
Bengals-Lawfirm (he should've been anyway)
Bills-Spiller/Jackson
Broncos-Hillman
Browns-McGahee
Bucs-Mike James,Demps
Cards-Stephen-Towling, that one scatback from Clemson
Chargers-Ronnie Brown
Chiefs-McCluster/Knile Davis
Colts-T Rich
Cowboys-Dunbar
Dolphins-Daniel Thomas
Eagles-
Falcons-Snelling
49ers-LaMichael James
Giants-David Wilson
Jags-Robinson
Jets-Bilal Powell
Lions-Leshoure
Packers-Franklin
Panthers-Stewart/Tolbert
Patriots-Blount
Raiders-Goodson
Rams-Daryl Richardson
Ravens-Ray Rice
Saints-Mike "100yds against the Cowboys" Ingram
Seahawks-Christine Michael
Steelers-
Texans-
Titans-
Vikings-Geirhart

I can't believe I know all of this. Someone want to fill in the blanks?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

eagles is number 34, but i don't remember his name. Bryce? fumbles a lot. steelers was dwyer. Texans was Tate.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Bryce Brown, I only remember him because I still don't understand how he managed to get drafted after just skipping college.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Blount went to the Steelers. I guess Ridley is our primary and Vereen the backup, but really he's got a completely different role, so you'd probably want to go with Bolden at this point.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Toby Gerhart, feature back, is now actually a thing.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I based those choices off of last year. Bryce Brown's name just couldn't come to mind but I completely forgot about Tate and Dwyer though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
nevermind, someone beat me to it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ozu posted:

Toby Gerhart, feature back, is now actually a thing.

until week 3

Grittybeard posted:

Bryce Brown, I only remember him because I still don't understand how he managed to get drafted after just skipping college.

wait, what

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Bryce Brown owns whenever Shady is out, what

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

He didn't really skip college, he went to Tennessee under Lane Kiffin, played backup his freshman year. Kiffin left and he transferred to K State. After sitting out a year he carried the ball three times and then left the program.

So he had a year of playing backup + 3 carries.

Oh also he was probably one of the guys Nevin Shapiro gave money to/bought lapdances for/whatever although he never went to Miami (his brother did for a while).

On the other hand he was an all-world recruit and still ended up getting drafted in the 7th. And yeah he does look good backing up Shady when he can manage to hold on to the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Titans is Shonn Greene IIRC

• Locked thread