Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Spiffster posted:

So a Forest Fire embodied in a Pokemon wtih an adapted Zen Mode (On fire to start, when at half health, is a smoldering cinder) , An Algea pokemon with Chlorophyl, and a Steam pokemon with Levitate... Yeah I could work with that.

Then make Scald a water/fire version of Flying Press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spiffster posted:

So a Forest Fire embodied in a Pokemon wtih an adapted Zen Mode (On fire to start, when at half health, is a smoldering cinder) , An Algea pokemon with Chlorophyl, and a Steam pokemon with Levitate... Yeah I could work with that.

They sound a little more complex than I'd like for the staters, but I would like them as a Legendary Trio.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

If you don't want to grief every town gate in a Pokemon MMO by releasing snorlaxes right in front of them, I don't even know what to say.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

Should have been that way to begin with :colbert:

Geostomp posted:

They sound a little more complex than I'd like for the staters, but I would like them as a Legendary Trio.

Any more complex then Hidden Abilities? I've practically fallen in love with Delphox's Magician ability and it fits the Pokemon so nicely :allears:

I would also comment about how weird an Algae pokemon being legendary would be, but then again we have Manaphy and Phinone and they are pretty much fat water drops with heads so :shrug:

Edit VVVV Learn something new every day.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 15, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Manaphy and Phione are based on Sea Angels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_angel

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spiffster posted:

Should have been that way to begin with :colbert:

A water/grass duel attack type move would do 16x damage on top of STAB to all the Gen I rock/ground dual type pokemons. :stare:

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Like two months after Pokémon Bank came out, I have all 718 horrible little murderbeasts packed into my boxes.. I don't have a camera on hand but oh my god this is satisfying.

Nothing better than starting a new game in Y and having a full Pokédex before taking a single step. WHAT NOW, TREVOR.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Piebald Hell posted:

Like two months after Pokémon Bank came out, I have all 718. I don't have a camera on hand but oh my god this is satisfying.

Nothing better than starting a new game in Y and having a full Pokédex before taking a single step. WHAT NOW, TREVOR.

Be sure to go to the hotel in Coumarine to get the diplomas for it to hang in your room.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pik_d posted:

A water/grass duel attack type move would do 16x damage on top of STAB to all the Gen I rock/ground dual type pokemons. :stare:

Flying Press doesn't end up working that way and I doubt any other moves in the future will either.

Incidently, Flying Press blows.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

Flying Press doesn't end up working that way and I doubt any other moves in the future will either.

Flying Press might work that way, if there were two types that are both weak to Fighting and Flying. (Though, does Flying Press do quad damage to Fighting/Dark or Grass/Dark pokemon?)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Zore posted:

I know it doesn't get both STABs, but why wouldn't it get 4x for both? That would defeat the whole point of the move.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

pik_d posted:

I would absolutely love Scald if it was learnable by fire types that aren't terrible As it stands it's just another great water move in a very large pool of great water moves.

Bongo Bill posted:

Flying Press might work that way, if there were two types that are both weak to Fighting and Flying. (Though, does Flying Press do quad damage to Fighting/Dark or Grass/Dark pokemon?)

Electrified flying press becomes electric/flying and deals 1/4th damage to Electric type pokemon, I would assume the inverse is also true.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Kurieg posted:

I would absolutely love Scald if it was learnable by fire types that aren't terrible

Volcanion :getin:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

It might? But I thought Flying press was mainly a bone thrown to Hawlucha to give it some meat on it's moveset. Bogging down everyone with Multitype moves will be to much. I think Scald is an exception because burns are strongly in Fire domain. Most pokemon won't get a STAB from it but it would be interesting for some water pokemon to leanr it naturally and have more versatility (Thinking primarily Gyrados, Golduck, and Rotom for fluff reasons)

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Piebald Hell posted:

Like two months after Pokémon Bank came out, I have all 718 horrible little murderbeasts packed into my boxes.. I don't have a camera on hand but oh my god this is satisfying.

The only bad thing is that you still aren't able to get the shiny charm until the post-game :mad:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

pik_d posted:

I know it doesn't get both STABs, but why wouldn't it get 4x for both? That would defeat the whole point of the move.
Because Fighting/Flying are already multiplied together before being applied to each type of Fighting/Dark or Grass/Dark in turn. It does 2x damage against Fighting, Grass and Dark, so dual-type combinations of those take 4x damage. If its type was Normal then it could be affected by Aerilate, which would make it Flying/Flying and capable of dealing 4x damage to mono-Fighting and 8x damage to Breloom, but as is they've specifically tailored it so it'll never produce octoweaknesses.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Flying Press is bar none the coolest looking move in the game, and the dual-typed attack thought is one that needs to be more utilized (heat-wave should be fire/flying, aforementioned scald, etc), but it's a shame in practice it's pretty useless.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Crosscontaminant posted:

Because Fighting/Flying are already multiplied together before being applied to each type of Fighting/Dark or Grass/Dark in turn. It does 2x damage against Fighting, Grass and Dark, so dual-type combinations of those take 4x damage. If its type was Normal then it could be affected by Aerilate, which would make it Flying/Flying and capable of dealing 4x damage to mono-Fighting and 8x damage to Breloom, but as is they've specifically tailored it so it'll never produce octoweaknesses.

I'm not sure why this means that, if Scald were dual fire/water, it wouldn't be 16x on rock/ground?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Flying Press is bar none the coolest looking move in the game.

Brave Bird though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

pik_d posted:

I'm not sure why this means that, if Scald were dual fire/water, it wouldn't be 16x on rock/ground?

They were talking about some theoretical water/grass algae move.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Ogmius815 posted:

Brave Bird though.

Phantom Force though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kurieg posted:

They were talking about some theoretical water/grass algae move.

Yeah I meant that, not fire/water, and I posed the question in the first place. :)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Scald would work just fine. It doesn't seem to have any chance of 8x damage.

The main problem with dual-type moves is that if they hit for 8x damage they're OP as hell, and if they don't they're usually just a less effective version of a move staple that might have interesting coverage options.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Emalde posted:

Volcanion :getin:
Why would you use Scald when Volcanion gets Steam Eruption. :getin:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Why would you use Scald when Volcanion gets Steam Eruption. :getin:

Steam Eruption only has 5PP and 95 accuracy, which will never come into play. Nope. Never. But 110BP is hard to argue against.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Christo posted:

Fire kangaroo, grass koala, water platypus starters in pokeaustralia. Make it happen, Game Freak.

PokeAustralia can borrow a Fire/Rock ram from PokeNew Zealand.

:colbert: Yeah I took that idea from Flaires, so what.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well they want to play pokemon but with their friends! But doesn't that already exist in the form of online battling? No see they want to be able to explore the world and fight tough trainers together. Most don't realize that pokemon's world and set up is created as a single player experience from the ground up and a multiplayer version of it would have to be something drastically different in presentation.

Yeah I don't get this desire either. Same with the people that want multiplayer Elder Scrolls games. You'd have to break or change a lot to make this stuff work. Also who wants to do cooperative turn based combat? :psyduck:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also who wants to do cooperative turn based combat? :psyduck:

The co-op multi-battles are significantly more fun than this would imply.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah I don't get this desire either. Same with the people that want multiplayer Elder Scrolls games.

Are you being sarcastic or are you not enjoying Elder Scrolls Online? :psyduck:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also who wants to do cooperative turn based combat? :psyduck:

Someone didn't take part in the last goonleague. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ungulateman posted:

Are you being sarcastic or are you not enjoying Elder Scrolls Online? :psyduck:

People enjoy Elder Scrolls Online? :psypop:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rather than an MMO I always wanted a game where I could get all the badges on a single character. It'd be a nightmare to balance but I really want this for some reason.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yeah I was under the impression that TESO was a generic piece of poo poo that failed to capture the same magic as single player. Basically, embodying what would happen to Pokemon.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Ah the threads cyclical nature has landed us back in to a pokemon mmo topic

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah I don't get this desire either. Same with the people that want multiplayer Elder Scrolls games. You'd have to break or change a lot to make this stuff work. Also who wants to do cooperative turn based combat? :psyduck:

I think multiplayer Elder Scrolls would work well if they did it how it's done in the Fable games. Largely single-player, but if one of your friends is online, they could hop into your game and function like one of your followers. To prevent game breaking, just stop them from being able to affect the world too much, for example: either nicking all the good armor from your chest when they visit, or dropping some Legendary Enchanted Dragon Armor in their friend's world right at the start.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Blaziken386 posted:

I think multiplayer Elder Scrolls would work well if they did it how it's done in the Fable games. Largely single-player, but if one of your friends is online, they could hop into your game and function like one of your followers. To prevent game breaking, just stop them from being able to affect the world too much, for example: either nicking all the good armor from your chest when they visit, or dropping some Legendary Enchanted Dragon Armor in their friend's world right at the start.

So... Dark Souls then?

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
I'd hate to ask this, but everyone I know seems to have the Y version. Does anyone have a spare Charizardite X that I could have? I'd be willing to give my Charizardite Y in exchange (or some random 4-5 IV pokes).

FC: 4554-0894-1821
IGN: Wei Song

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Stalgren posted:

Ah the threads cyclical nature has landed us back in to a pokemon mmo topic

We need one of these

for this thread.

Smash Daisaku posted:

I'd hate to ask this, but everyone I know seems to have the Y version. Does anyone have a spare Charizardite X that I could have? I'd be willing to give my Charizardite Y in exchange (or some random 4-5 IV pokes).

FC: 4554-0894-1821
IGN: Wei Song

Yeah I have one, let me figure out what my friend code is.

3024 6946 7603

If you have a ferroseed/ferrothorn or a talonflame evolution that's got alot of IVs that would be welcome, save me some breeding time.

I'm screwing around in the battle chateau for a bit, got a squirtle ready to go with it (I just put it on something queued for wondertrade)

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Wow it sure does suck that there is no in game matchmaking service. Nintendo :argh:.

EDIT: Nope I'm just a dumby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

TheSpiritFox posted:

Yeah I have one, let me figure out what my friend code is.

3024 6946 7603

If you have a ferroseed/ferrothorn or a talonflame evolution that's got alot of IVs that would be welcome, save me some breeding time.

I'm screwing around in the battle chateau for a bit, got a squirtle ready to go with it (I just put it on something queued for wondertrade)

Sadly I don't have either. Could I offer you something else? I have a bunch of HA Eevees, a Cottonee with egg moves, some Porygons, a Magikarp, Kangaskhan, Dratini with egg moves, Honedge, Gligar, and a bunch of Scythers.

• Locked thread