Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Okami occasionally smiles whereas Maia is second only to Paulo Thiago for most constant mean mug. Maia always looks like someone just told him something disturbing and confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Panama Red posted:

edit: Also curious if there is a good MMA podcast people recommend, most of those that I've tried are fairly Opie & Anthony-style, and I'd like one that was just news and analysis without a lot of macho sideshow (I suspect that may be a bit much)

Hammerfisting with Luis J. Gomez is fun.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Panama Red posted:

So I'm interested in following UFC although I admittedly know very little, other than what little I've gleamed from watching the odd PRIDE fight back in the 2000s and a handful of UFC fights here and there, plus by playing around with the 2009 UFC video game. I like BJJ since it seems to be more about skill and technique than about sheer strength (correct me if I'm wrong), so Demian Mata and BJ Penn have been some of my favorite guys. I know Mata is ranked #8 in the welterweight division right now and I'm curious as to if he's passed his prime or not. I'd also like to know more about the current crop of guys who I might not be as familiar with. Even the guys I do know I know very little about their personalities and antics; I only knew that Wanderlei Silva used to destroy people, not that he's also an idiot until I saw some of this thread. Kinda curious as to what people think of Anderson Silva since I know there was a time he was completely dominant and everyone loved him but I picked up that he recently got KO'd while showboating or something to that effect.

edit: Also curious if there is a good MMA podcast people recommend, most of those that I've tried are fairly Opie & Anthony-style, and I'd like one that was just news and analysis without a lot of macho sideshow (I suspect that may be a bit much)

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone who makes a post like this: watch Chris Leben vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama, with a couple chili dogs and the cheapest beer you got. Enjoy enlightenment.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the best mma podcast is uhh yeah dude

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
We need to resurrect the mid carders thread for people like Panama Red. Also for the random Brazil cards.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Okami occasionally smiles whereas Maia is second only to Paulo Thiago for most constant mean mug. Maia always looks like someone just told him something disturbing and confusing.

Where's your smile now, playboy?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He likes Linkin Park, what do you expect?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

1st AD posted:

Where's your smile now, playboy?

Finding a picture of a happy, smiling Demian Maia proved much harder than I had anticipated.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Marquardt and Silva beat the smile out of him. He used to be much more of a pretty boy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Nightblade posted:

Finding a picture of a happy, smiling Demian Maia proved much harder than I had anticipated.

:wtf: weird

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Funny that should be brought up because I was just thinking about Big Nog being another favorite of mine and also a Brazilian and it stemming from him being such a soft-spoken and seemingly nice guy (I may be making this up but I remember something awhile back about Big Nog loving hugs? Maybe have been on TUF?). I definitely like guys who seem to genuinely enjoy themselves and don't feel the need to do a lot of macho chest-pounding and mean-mugging. There was a guy whose name escapes me who was very flamboyant and I think came to a weigh-in dressed as Hulk Hogan or something but then ended up losing at the PPV he was set to appear on… I liked him but he may have been cut after that.

I also really like guys who seem to have high fighting IQs and that's where the Maia love came from. (Of course I could be wrong about that and he could be a 'dumb' fighter, but it sounds like his underperformance is mostly due to lack of striking ability…?) I saw my fair share of PRIDE back in the day and was a huge Sakuraba fan precisely because he was the "IQ Wrestler" using smarts over brawn but nevertheless came to the ring dressed as luchadors and Super Mario. I'm less enamored with meatheads who come in and GnP or whatever and win through brute force alone. I'm much more likely to cheer for the guy who uses skill and smarts over just being bigger and stronger than the other guy.

I'll definitely check out Jacare Souza and use YouTube to look up both old fighters I know and the new guys I'm not familiar with. I downloaded the UFC Fans app and just looking at the fighter rankings the Middleweight division looks the most intriguing to me because of Weidman, Silva, Machida and this Jacare guy people keep recommending to me. The name Bisping sounds familiar to me but for some reason it has a negative association, although I can't recall why.

I have TiVo but it looks like everything is on UFC.tv these days. Is there any free UFC on regular TV, like Fight Night that used to be on Spike?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Panama Red posted:

Funny that should be brought up because I was just thinking about Big Nog being another favorite of mine and also a Brazilian and it stemming from him being such a soft-spoken and seemingly nice guy (I may be making this up but I remember something awhile back about Big Nog loving hugs? Maybe have been on TUF?). I definitely like guys who seem to genuinely enjoy themselves and don't feel the need to do a lot of macho chest-pounding and mean-mugging. There was a guy whose name escapes me who was very flamboyant and I think came to a weigh-in dressed as Hulk Hogan or something but then ended up losing at the PPV he was set to appear on…

I also really like guys who seem to have high fighting IQs and that's where the Maia love came from. (Of course I could be wrong about that and he could be a 'dumb' fighter, but it sounds like his underperformance is mostly due to lack of striking ability…?) I saw my fair share of PRIDE back in the day and was a huge Sakuraba fan precisely because he was the "IQ Wrestler" using smarts over brawn but nevertheless came to the ring dressed as luchadors and Super Mario. I'm less enamored with meatheads who come in and GnP or whatever and win through brute force alone. I'm much more likely to cheer for the guy who uses skill and smarts over just being bigger and stronger than the other guy.

I'll definitely check out Jacare Souza and use YouTube to look up both old fighters I know and the new guys I'm not familiar with. I downloaded the UFC Fans app and just looking at the fighter rankings the Middleweight division looks the most intriguing to me because of Weidman, Silva, Machida and this Jacare guy people keep recommending to me. The name Bisping sounds familiar to me but for some reason it has a negative association, although I can't recall why.

I have TiVo but it looks like everything is on UFC.tv these days. Is there any free UFC on regular TV, like Fight Night that used to be on Spike?

There is, in fact, precisely such a thing tomorrow with its own thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625403

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
That's a rough card to hop back into watching mma. Trial by fire.

e- Also yea there are a lot of cards on tv now. Cards on FOX tend to be PPV level as well so that's nice.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Panama Red posted:

Funny that should be brought up because I was just thinking about Big Nog being another favorite of mine and also a Brazilian and it stemming from him being such a soft-spoken and seemingly nice guy (I may be making this up but I remember something awhile back about Big Nog loving hugs? Maybe have been on TUF?). I definitely like guys who seem to genuinely enjoy themselves and don't feel the need to do a lot of macho chest-pounding and mean-mugging. There was a guy whose name escapes me who was very flamboyant and I think came to a weigh-in dressed as Hulk Hogan or something but then ended up losing at the PPV he was set to appear on… I liked him but he may have been cut after that.

Panama Red posted:

The guy with the walk-out you're thinking of is Tom Lawlor, who I think is still on the roster but hasn't fought in a while.

The UFC does a good number of free shows on Fox and Fox Sports 1, including this Wednesday (FS1) and this Saturday (FOX main card, FS1/FightPass prelims). Tomorrow's card features Michael. Bisping vs. Tim Kennedy, a US ARMY RANGER who Bisping should casually outpoint. This weekend features Travis Browne vs. Fabricio Werdum in what should be a fun fight. Based on what you've described, I think you'd really like Werdum. He's a fun grappler who's really developed his muay thai recently.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Panama Red posted:

Big nog had a great turn as coach on TUF. His team bonded really strongly and he showed great leadership.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Honestly the best way to get "into" the UFC is to just watch events back to back and chat about it in here, everyone is pretty cool as long as you aren't posting your MMA dreams (literal) or doing deep commentary/breakdowns from a place of complete ignorance. People will always answer questions or suggest stuff to watch.

If you're looking for someone who's both entertaining and smart I would suggest going through Chan Sung Jung's UFC/WEC career. If you're honestly not interested at all in the all out brawls and displays of pure will/heart you can skip his fight with Leonard Garcia in the WEC and go straight to the UFC but that would be an absolute crime in my eyes. If you don't feel like watching all his fights then just track down Chan Sung Jung/Dustin Poirier.

Frankie Edgar is also a recent inductee into our canon of beloved fighters and his entire career is a fantastic watch. Particularly his 3 fight series with Gray Maynard. He was undersized in all of his lightweight fights and reportedly cut almost no weight for all of them, and is also a really great technical fighter.

Based on your description I'd also suggest checking out:

Martin Kampmann
Cain Velasquez (an undersized guy who is the king of HW right now)
Cub Swanson
Jim Miller
Carlos Condit

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 15, 2014

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I have no idea what "fight IQ" means. Sakrabab had an excellent single, and was good enough at wrestling and catch to control a lot of dudes on the ground. He beat some very good grapplers by being much larger than them, and when he fought dudes he couldn't muscle around (who had any clue whatsoever as to what they were doing) he was crushed. Viciously.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Carlos Condit is devilishly handsome, and his fights are pretty much nonstop violence. The one time he didn't fight super aggressive was his hilarious Nick Diaz trolling.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Ivan Salaverry was always referred to as having a high fight IQ, but I assumed they were just politely saying he was in bad shape and got away with a lot against even worse fighters.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

david carmichael posted:

I have no idea what "fight IQ" means. Sakrabab had an excellent single, and was good enough at wrestling and catch to control a lot of dudes on the ground. He beat some very good grapplers by being much larger than them, and when he fought dudes he couldn't muscle around (who had any clue whatsoever as to what they were doing) he was crushed. Viciously.

What about Carlos Newton

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

The only dudes Saku ever fought that he had a significant size advantage over were Royler and Minowa.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
just whatever you do dont watch fights

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Fight IQ is a very real phenomenon that due to its origins in Japanese shoot fighting cannot be articulately described in English. Take for example the smartest gameplanner in the sport's history, Randy Couture, who was known for his immediate ability to size up his opponents and determine how best to push them into a fence

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dangersim posted:

What about Carlos Newton

He has the dubious honor of being the only person ever to lose a fight after choking his opponent unconscious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Go watch Matt Hughes v Carlos Newton, plus the Hughes/Trigg and Hughes/BJ Penn fights. Matt Hughes had a lot of really cool fights even if he is a terrible person.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think Fight IQ is one of the new white guy synonyms like "hard working" and "good hustle."

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

The only dudes Saku ever fought that he had a significant size advantage over were Royler and Minowa.

and those are the only good grapplers he ever beat

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

david carmichael posted:

and those are the only good grapplers he ever beat

Dangersim posted:

What about Carlos Newton

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i would argue that he did have a significant strength advantage over renzo, which was compounded by the fact that renzo was bad.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
matt brown's latest streak is one of the most satisfying. at least watch matt brown / jordan mein.

if it's grappling dudes you want, some finnish dude named tom niniimaki or something recently had the coolest loving grapple fight with honey yahya. i'll be keeping a close eye on him.

n'thing carlos condit's fights. mark hunt.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Panama, also note that the UFC currently has a 135 pound women's division and they're about to add a second (115).

This Saturday on fox there will be a fight between 2 former title challengers and it should be an exciting matchup.

In the mean time, you should find a way to watch Tate vs Rousey in Strikeforce, Rousey vs Carmouche , Tate vs Zingano, and Rousey vs Tate 2.

Sign up for a free trial of UFC Fight Pass because almost every UFC fight is on there and a ton of stuff from WEC and Pride too.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
In my head I'm sure I've seen Vitor/Sakuraba but I can't remember a single thing about it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is there really anything missing from the Pride and WEC on fightpass now? Last time I looked they were in a hosed up order in the listings but it looked like everything was covered. I desperately wish I had more time to do dumb stuff like watch WEC front to back.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The fighter with the highest IQ is of course Michael Bisping, who is the only fighter to say "why not show up in shape enough to actually fight for the scheduled duration". other fighters have done this, but he seems to be the only one capable of articulating this incredibly important concept which i guess makes him the smartest.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

david carmichael posted:

In my head I'm sure I've seen Vitor/Sakuraba but I can't remember a single thing about it.

Imagine a genial looking japanese man kicking the legs of a sad dog butt-scooting across a white carpet for 15 minutes or whatever.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is there really anything missing from the Pride and WEC on fightpass now? Last time I looked they were in a hosed up order in the listings but it looked like everything was covered. I desperately wish I had more time to do dumb stuff like watch WEC front to back.

I also wonder about Fight Pass. Does it have prelim fights from UFC cards? My own collection of fights is very large, but it lacks a lot of these smaller fights.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Count Roland posted:

I also wonder about Fight Pass. Does it have prelim fights from UFC cards? My own collection of fights is very large, but it lacks a lot of these smaller fights.

They do, I tracked down a prelim fight I was missing forever that I remember seeing live and thinking it was really good (Nik Lentz/Waylon Lowe from a Seattle fight night) and it turned out I was just really excited and stoned because it was kind of terrible.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I need to track down Ben Saunders vs Brandon Wolff because that was an amazing display for muay thai clinch knee murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Martin Kampmann
Cain Velasquez (an undersized guy who is the king of HW right now)
Cub Swanson
Jim Miller
Carlos Condit

I will definitely check these guys out and will look into the UFC Fight Pass trial as well. Thanks!

Also I'm hardly the best person to defend Sakuraba but what I remember about him was not that he was dominant but that he was consistently going up against bigger guys and exceeding expectations. Maybe I was just caught up in the spin of the moment but going up against Royce Gracie was a big deal and then he went toe-to-toe with Vovchanchyn before Saku's side threw in the towel. I also don't know what the consensus was/is about Rampage Jackson but I remember that being another instance where Saku was credited with keeping his head and managing to overcome a huge power difference to still pull out a victory. Of course, PRIDE was always looked at sideways even in its heyday and a lot of the stuff I thought was cool back then may not hold up today very well at all so if I'm totally off-base chalk it up to my ignorance.

• Locked thread