Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doltos posted:

Regardless they're two separate things. Camera angles for game tape are almost always sky cam/stands footage and are completely different than seeing someone up close and in person. I'm sure Clowney's 40 would look even more impressive in person than it does from the combine recording.

Game film is for how they perform in a game. If you send a scout to the guy's Pro Day with a camera, he can capture the leg movements, footwork, everything you need during those drills from 6 feet away. The coach himself standing there in the team's workout facility a couple weeks later would be no different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rap posted:

Game film is for how they perform in a game. If you send a scout to the guy's Pro Day with a camera, he can capture the leg movements, footwork, everything you need during those drills from 6 feet away. The coach himself standing there in the team's workout facility a couple weeks later would be no different

Except that you're not just sending a scout to the Pro Day, you're sending the head coach.

At the end of the day the true purpose of game tape is to have a way to continuously replay what you saw instead of trying to remember what the 40 looked like. One can be a substitute for the other but there's a reason why coaches go in person to see people instead of just staying in a bunker watching tape.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Because the NFL is a circus?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I guess I'm not so upset about the draft being pushed back anymore in that case

If the draft hadn't been pushed back it would have taken place this Thursday night; do you think Bortles has more of a chance of being picked than Clowney at this point?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think a team would be locked into their decision by this point so I think Bortles would have been #1. With the extra time to deliberate, I think Bortles might fall a number of spots. Especially if Houston and the other top 5 teams are evaluating the other quarterbacks that they can choose from at #33-37.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think a team would be locked into their decision by this point so I think Bortles would have been #1. With the extra time to deliberate, I think Bortles might fall a number of spots. Especially if Houston and the other top 5 teams are evaluating the other quarterbacks that they can choose from at #33-37.

Do you have any reasons for Bortles being the pick, though? The only real connection is that O'Brien was an assistant coach under O'Leary; Clowney has still been the best prospect all along.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Clowney's absolutely been the best prospect but McClain has been adamant about the decision coming down to quarterback. But with this much time and the importance of the #1 pick I think taking a generational player that can make an impact from day one will win out. Most of the hype on Bortles came from his combine and pro day but I think it's going to wear off.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doctor Candiru posted:

Speaking of individual workouts, Bridgewater is still at the Vikings' facility, meaning he's been there since Saturday.

Is it normal for potential draft targets to be hosted for more than a day like this?

It does seem a bit unusual to have a draft pick at your facility for 3 or 4 days, but it does mean that the Vikings are getting a very good sense of how he would work with Turner, his ability to pick up the offense, and how he handles himself at the facility, since Bridgewater is known as being a quiet guy who leads by example.

I came across an article last week talking about Turner's offense and the author mentioned that the bread and butter of his scheme is ball placement on throws in the 6 to 20 yard range and that only 3 to 4% of passes go beyond 30 yards. What's interesting about this is that Mettenberger, who basically played in the same scheme under Cam Cameron, struggled with ball placement on intermediate throws, but intermediate passing is exactly where Bridgewater excels. He also excels at reading the defense and making adjustments before snaps and then going through his progressions and not just starring down one receiver like Ponder does.

I know that teams prefer to have a big, strong armed QB like Mettenberger, but I think that a case can be made that Bridgewater may be better suited to run Turner's offense. The only things that scare me about Bridgewater is that he has a slight frame with narrow shoulders (supposed to be a durability concern), he has a bit of a hitch in his throwing motion that slows his delivery, and he has a tendency to wait for receivers to get open and instead of leading them. He can put on more weight, but his frame won't change and those last two points Turner should have been able to determine over the past few days whether they can be corrected by coaching or not.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doltos posted:

Except that you're not just sending a scout to the Pro Day, you're sending the head coach.
I said "if" so maybe the team could...start doing this instead of sending the head coach but its ok i know you are a Pro this year for some reason

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Clowney's absolutely been the best prospect but McClain has been adamant about the decision coming down to quarterback. But with this much time and the importance of the #1 pick I think taking a generational player that can make an impact from day one will win out. Most of the hype on Bortles came from his combine and pro day but I think it's going to wear off.

You have to understand that McClain is full of poo poo and any of the Texans posters here would tell you the same.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

You have to understand that McClain is full of poo poo and any of the Texans posters here would tell you the same.

Me and bhsman butt heads a lot on this forum, but he's right, McClain is so full of poo poo it's spewing from his pores.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Also quit calling him McClain, he's Pancakes

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Doltos posted:

I know you're trying to be a smart rear end but there's a reason people watch plays like Cats and Phantom both recorded and in person on Broadway.

That reason is they have really really lovely taste in theater.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

shiksa posted:

That reason is they have really really lovely taste in theater.

Then Book of Mormon or Wicked or whatever you want to sound more pretentious.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Doltos posted:

I think Spamalot is the correct answer

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Book of Mormon was way more pretentious.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Doltos posted:

the south park musical and the wizard of oz musical are very petentious

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I can't imagine how poorly history will look on the guy who passes on clowney to draft the third best quarterback in the draft

Who is like a top 15 pick not even top 5

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Groucho Marxist posted:

the south park musical and the wizard of oz musical are very petentious

I'm just trying to figure out what shiksa's definition of good theater is since he snobbed Cats and Phantom (cmon, who doesn't like swinging chandeliers?)

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm a Starlight Express guy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Pacific Overtures is the best theater, sorry y'all are uncultured.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Chess is an incredible musical. Choke on that, snobs.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Raiders posted this on their facebook

obviously the marketing department has no real insight into the real draft war room, but why is that Texas A&M QB #2 up there? :confused:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blitz7x posted:

obviously the marketing department has no real insight into the real draft war room, but why is that Texas A&M QB #2 up there? :confused:

What was funnier is I thought that was Tahj Boyd for a second and it made perfect sense.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Doltos posted:

I'm just trying to figure out what shiksa's definition of good theater is since he snobbed Cats and Phantom (cmon, who doesn't like swinging chandeliers?)

I personally just don't like Phantom very much, but Cats is total garbage.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Ugh. Please don't make me care about the Raiders...

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Cause Matt Schaub sucks is my guess.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Bucky Brooks just put out a mock that has the Browns taking Watkins @ 4, Bridgewater @ 26, and Hyde @ 35.

No loving way they walk away with those three.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

Bucky Brooks just put out a mock that has the Browns taking Watkins @ 4, Bridgewater @ 26, and Hyde @ 35.

No loving way they walk away with those three.

What no way I gotta see this mock for mysel... oh ho ho nice try Mr. Brooks :colbert:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Well what else is there to talk about in a draft thread?

Dammit Goodell :argh:

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Bucky Brooks also thinks the Bears still run the Tampa 2.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

John Brown posted:

Well what else is there to talk about in a draft thread?

Dammit Goodell :argh:

Theatre obviously

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hmmm..

AZCardinals.com posted:

While it still seems unlikely the Cards will take a quarterback early even if one or two drop, Carson Palmer knows it could happen.

“If you are in a position to draft the best player on your board, and that’s the best position to be in as an organization, and (a quarterback) is the best player on the board, you are not only making your team better by creating competition but you are helping out the future,” Palmer said Tuesday after a workout. The Cardinals picking a quarterback would be understandable, Palmer said.

“I know I’m not going to play forever. It’s hard for us players to admit that. The older you get the harder it is to admit it. You don’t see it happening. You still feel good, you still feel confident, you still feel healthy.

“But that’s the reality. That’s the business. It doesn’t matter how you feel about it, whether it irks you or you don’t care. That’s the game.”

There has not been a whole lot of chatter from Arizona about taking a quarterback due to Bruce Arians' known affinity for veterans and tenure, so I wonder if Carson might be tipping the hand of the organization based on what he's been hearing internally. At #20, the Cards would not be able to get one of the top 3 QBs unless there was a fall, so some quarterbacks to look at that might go off the board there would include Zach Mettenberger or Derek Carr; tall, strong-armed quarterbacks that excel in the intermediate passing game but can also sling it, which is the kind of QB that Arians loves.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hmmm..

There has not been a whole lot of chatter from Arizona about taking a quarterback due to Bruce Arians' known affinity for veterans and tenure, so I wonder if Carson might be tipping the hand of the organization based on what he's been hearing internally. At #20, the Cards would not be able to get one of the top 3 QBs unless there was a fall, so some quarterbacks to look at that might go off the board there would include Zach Mettenberger or Derek Carr; tall, strong-armed quarterbacks that excel in the intermediate passing game but can also sling it, which is the kind of QB that Arians loves.

The Cardinals potentially taking a QB has been talked about a lot in Arizona. No one views Palmer as a long term option and with Lindley and Stanton as backups, it would be reasonable for the Cardinals to take a QB at some point during the draft. It could also be a case where the Cardinals are trying to drum up interest in 20 for some team trading up from the top of the 2nd round, but I do think their interest in a QB is legitimate, it is just a matter of when they are comfortable pulling the trigger.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout)
I present you with the greatest QB comparison ever. An AFC North coach compared Bridgewater to...Willie Beaman. I'm not making this up.

This comparison is such bullshit. Last I checked Teddy never filmed a sick rad music video.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 16, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I for one would like a movie Quaterback for my team. He may have a bad first 3 quarters in The Big Game after he learns his estranged dad died just hours before, but once his attractive but conflicted girlfriend shows up and cheers him on in the forth quarter, he plays lights-out.

Of course, good luck signing him for more than one season.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

This comparison is such bullshit. Last I checked Teddy never filmed a sick rad music video.
The coach also called Bridgewater a "dynamic playmaker" which makes me believe he didn't watch tape and just assumes Teddy is another running quarterback. It being an AFC North coach, I'm going to assume..... nah, Cleveland would be too easy. I'll say Baltimore.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Couldn't be Harbaugh, he has Tyrod, he knows what a true dynamic playmaker is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm assuming the coach was not a HEAD coach but a position or assistant coach. Head coaches wouldn't give criticisms of prospects at this time, even off the record. Too much of a risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

PrinceRandom posted:

I for one would like a movie Quaterback for my team. He may have a bad first 3 quarters in The Big Game after he learns his estranged dad died just hours before, but once his attractive but conflicted girlfriend shows up and cheers him on in the forth quarter, he plays lights-out.

Of course, good luck signing him for more than one season.

Replace girlfriend with "savior" and you have Tebow, who is available.

• Locked thread