Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AlsoD posted:

Archeomancer + Battlefield Thaumaturge on the board.

Repeatedly cast Twinflame, getting as many copies of Archeomancer as you have red mana. If you have any Burning Tree Emissaries on the board, they can come too. Works great with Nykthos!

1 Archeomancer + 3 Thaumaturge + 1 BTE + Twinflame = infinite hasty guys.

Getting the 3 Thaumaturges isn't that bad considering that you have twinflame.

e:wait, BTE makes GR, not RR. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

AlsoD posted:

Repeatedly cast Twinflame, getting as many copies of Archeomancer as you have red mana. If you have any Burning Tree Emissaries on the board, they can come too. Works great with Nykthos!

I'm definitely cramming a couple Twinflame into my Boros red devotion deck. It can hit Burning-Tree like you said for a good devotion boost followed by the bonus of Nykthos fuel, and more importantly there's the possibility of doubling up or maybe even tripling a Fanatic of Mogis depending on how silly you can get with Nykthos.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Satyr Hedonist works instead of BTE for infinite guys.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Ok thanks. Never hurts to be sure.

So is athreos' price currently so high purely because of standard, or will he have the potential to fit into pod decks? His pre-order price is around $25 right now, higher than I expected.
Some people are already testing in pod and it seems like a decent card for Melira Pod where Kiki Pod probably won't want it. It may be one of those personal experiences type thing just like some Pod decks don't run the Archangel of Thune + Spikefeeder combo and some do. 1 of sideboard can't hurt.

Extremely detailed article about why the author thinks WotC is aware that fetchlands need a reprinting in an expert set, perhaps Huey or 2015's fall set? Some of this info was pre-Modern Masters so its possible with MM's success that they instead put a lot of these cards in MM2 next year.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I just want to win by Twinflame-ing two Biovisionaries.

e: I just realized that you can use Sundial to keep your Twinflame copies around. More fuel for my stupid Sedris Sundial EDH deck!

vOv fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 15, 2014

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dr. Stab posted:

Satyr Hedonist works instead of BTE for infinite guys.

Don't you need two Thaumaturges for this to be mana positive? Or at least, 5 mana to copy your Archeomancer, Hedonist and Thaumaturge before you chain off copying the first two (remember that Twincast can target tokens!)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlsoD posted:

This is some Kiki Pod levels of hilarity.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Ok thanks. Never hurts to be sure.

So is athreos' price currently so high purely because of standard, or will he have the potential to fit into pod decks? His pre-order price is around $25 right now, higher than I expected.

It's been a while since I played Pod, so I could be off here, but I don't think I'd want to Pod into Athreos in most situations. It doesn't have an ETB ability and you can't Pod it away under most circumstances. It does give your other creatures extra Pod value, but it doesn't play nice with Persist. On top of all that, I'm not sure what you would cut for it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Count Bleck posted:

This is some Kiki Pod levels of hilarity.

If only Battle Hymn was still in standard!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AlsoD posted:

Don't you need two Thaumaturges for this to be mana positive? Or at least, 5 mana to copy your Archeomancer, Hedonist and Thaumaturge before you chain off copying the first two (remember that Twincast can target tokens!)

Yes.

t2 thaumaturge
t3 hedonist
t4 archaomancer
t5 win

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
People are saying you can stack the triggers like you want so it works fine with persist?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Will Ral Zarek see play this summer due to his +1 interacting so favorably with Inspiration enablers? That 3 mana permanent swapper looks nutty

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I loving wish Ral Zarek would see play period. :sigh:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Korak posted:

People are saying you can stack the triggers like you want so it works fine with persist?

What works fine with persist? You can't persist the tokens because they disappear as soon as they hit the graveyard before persist finishes resolving.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You don't need to go infinite, you just need to get one token copy of Archeomancer and keep recurring Druids' Deliverance every turn.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

vOv posted:

What works fine with persist? You can't persist the tokens because they disappear as soon as they hit the graveyard before persist finishes resolving.

Athreos.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oh, yeah. If the persist trigger resolves first, the creature returns to the battlefield and then the 'return to hand' choice does nothing. If the Athreos trigger resolves first, your opponent either pays 3 life and it returns to the battlefield, or doesn't and it returns to your hand. You get to pick.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Korak posted:

Yes you can stack the triggers and get the effect that you want. Most of the time you will want your Finks or Redcap to Persist, so Athreos does nothing in those instances.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

ScarletBrother posted:

Yes you can stack the triggers and get the effect that you want. Most of the time you will want your Finks or Redcap to Persist, so Athreos does nothing in those instances.
Right.

vOv posted:

Talking about pod.

The standard idea of infinite creatures and mana sounds awesome too. :)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Just leaving this here.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wizard Poker Diplomacy ITT.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ultima66 posted:

Just leaving this here.

But what did you buy?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

But what did you buy?

Not my picture.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Ultima66 posted:

Not my picture.

Its from Reddit.

I am the retard that read it wrong on Reddit and thought the seller was Tom Chavez...comprehension fail.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Have they spoiled anything yet for the Modern Event Deck which comes out next month and costs $75?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
While I'm not sure how much JiN will affect the big Standard SCG Opens and GPs and PTQs, it's one of those weird situations where I think FNMs are going to become way more interesting and varied. There just seems to be so many cards that people are going to want to play around with and test locally and try to build decks around.

This set seems like it's going to be so much more fun than Theros or BotG were.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ One of the funner things is that JOU is adding more synergies to strategies people want to try out but can't because the redundancy isn't there. Ajani's Chosen + lots of enchantments = easily a sweet tier 2 deck. People discussing infinite combos that can come down on turn 4-5 and in the right colors as other combos. Lots of fun things that allow brewers to actually do things.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Have they spoiled anything yet for the Modern Event Deck which comes out next month and costs $75?
There was a potential spoiler a few weeks ago that one of the WotC guys clarified was an "early mock up and subject to change." It leaned heavily with the idea that the modern event deck will be B/W Tokens with Elspeth and Bitterblossom. A fine idea for an event deck as B/W Tokens does occasionally win smaller tournaments and is powerful enough to top 32 events(I think.)

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 15, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's B/W Tokens, has Hero of Bladehold and Elspeth, Knight Errant.

Also a Marsh Flats?

Heard a lot of "BUT MY VALUE" from other sites about the hubbub from that.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Clockwork posted:

No the only image is according to Aaron Forsythe "Heads up... The picture of the Modern Event Deck floating around is a pre-production mockup and is not completely accurate to what's final."

Hero of Bladehold, Elspeth Knight Errant, Intangible Virtue, and Honor of the Pure are the cards listed.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

So...will it be worth the huge price tag?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Word is on twitter that stores are not getting more than "one case" of these event decks either, which is apparently four of them. So the people who are "losing value" are going to be unhappy and so is anyone who wants to buy one of these for less than $100/at all.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Word is on twitter that stores are not getting more than "one case" of these event decks either, which is apparently four of them. So the people who are "losing value" are going to be unhappy and so is anyone who wants to buy one of these for less than $100/at all.

Well, neither of my distributors have put a cap on my pre-orders as far as I know, just that it has to be in multiples of 4. I'm sure it will get allocated, but it sounds like stores will definitely receive more than 4.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Essentially you'll be paying about 400 dollars total.

Which...is about twice as much as the playset of Marsh Flats that'd be in those four. :thumbsup:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So...will it be worth the huge price tag?

We just said we only know some of the cards in it will have at least one copy, and that that data has been described as subject to change, so how can anyone possibly answer this question?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Matt Tabak commented on his tumblr that the release notes are 'coming soon', which is essentially meaningless but could mean tonight. The release notes usually mean a lot of new spoilers in order to explain weirdness.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I wish the sheep had "Tap: target creature with power 3 or less can't be blocked this turn." Alas, there is some flavor too obscure and stupid even for R&D :(.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Who was the goon a few weeks ago talking about a Karametra EDH deck? Would you be willing to post a quick decklist for that if you have one and are reading this post? I got bored at work and started brainstorming one, and I'm curious to see what a Karametra deck looks like.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 16, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I wish the sheep had "Tap: target creature with power 3 or less can't be blocked this turn." Alas, there is some flavor too obscure and stupid even for R&D :(.

Would that be an Odyssey flavour reference?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Who was the goon a few weeks ago talking about playing against a Karametra EDH deck? Would you be willing to post a quick decklist if you have one and are reading this post? I got bored at work and started brainstorming one, and I'm curious to see what one looks like.

Are you asking for the deck list that managed to beat her? Because I do that regularly with my Ephara deck.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would that be an Odyssey flavour reference?

It's the only sheep I can think of that shows up prominently in Greek mythology. I suppose it could tap for Protection for Cyclopses but that's a bridge too far, even for Maro.

• Locked thread