Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Am I a weird Seattlite that fills up gas before entering and after leaving Oregon so I don't have to deal with the full service silliness down there? I know you're not supposed to tip but it just feels so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Tigntink posted:

Bahhahahaha I was just ranting about how loving useless and lovely Vancouver WA is. I want to punch them in their stupid loving faces every time I hear them complain about the state of the bridges. IT'S YOUR FAULT ASSHOLES.

Hey now, some of us actually support a new bridge. I even was for moving ahead with a bridge design that was hosed up in fundamental ways.*

*I always take 205 in but traffic is bad enough as it is. I can't imagine how horrible it will be when the Interstate bridge falls into the water.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Am I a weird Seattlite that fills up gas before entering and after leaving Oregon so I don't have to deal with the full service silliness down there? I know you're not supposed to tip but it just feels so weird.

I do as well. The last thing I want to do is have to watch the poor kid like a hawk to make sure he's putting diesel or premium in like I requested.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

size1one posted:

Hey now, some of us actually support a new bridge. I even was for moving ahead with a bridge design that was hosed up in fundamental ways.*

*I always take 205 in but traffic is bad enough as it is. I can't imagine how horrible it will be when the Interstate bridge falls into the water.

Well the last time Washington let an critical interstate bridge fall into a river- all 11 months ago- the following traffic detour boondoggle resulted in killing a State Trooper. So if we keep form we're looking at 1.5 dead people because of our myopic, regressive, FYGM, NIMBY residents.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Thanatosian posted:

Oregon should just build that bridge themselves, then stick a $20 toll on it to fund it. It sure as gently caress isn't a bunch of Portlanders heading up to Vancouver three times a week who are using it. And I wouldn't give a poo poo about a $20 toll the handful of times I go to Portland a year.

Eh, realistically there's just no particular upside for Oregon to have the bridge rebuilt outside of safety concerns. It'd be good to have done, and Oregon is willing to pay its fair share for the benefit of the regional economy, but if Washington isn't willing to pony up the money then there's really no reason for Oregon to build a bridge. I do think that they have a responsibility to make sure that it's safe to use though - I mean that bridge is one of the worst rated bridges in the entire nation, worse than the Skagit River Bridge that collapsed up near Seattle. One way or the other, that bridge is going to have to be shut down.

Dusseldorf posted:

What would the federal restrictions on this be with regards to interstate commerce?

It'd be doable, particularly with Washington's cooperation. Oregon was thinking about doing this kind of toll road concept for a while after the CRC got shot down by WA.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah that's weird and goony. Do you also only use automated checkouts at the grocery store?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Eh, realistically there's just no particular upside for Oregon to have the bridge rebuilt outside of safety concerns. It'd be good to have done, and Oregon is willing to pay its fair share for the benefit of the regional economy, but if Washington isn't willing to pony up the money then there's really no reason for Oregon to build a bridge. I do think that they have a responsibility to make sure that it's safe to use though - I mean that bridge is one of the worst rated bridges in the entire nation, worse than the Skagit River Bridge that collapsed up near Seattle. One way or the other, that bridge is going to have to be shut down.
Oregon has a big upside, in that lots of people from Washington go down there to do their shopping. It's an economic boon for them.

I don't really see a huge upside to Washington to fixing that bridge, though; what, we want to make it easier for the loving assholes in Vancouver to avoid paying for the infrastructure they're using? gently caress that.

I'd rather just shut the thing down, force the fuckfaces to buy their poo poo up here, or spend a bunch of extra time going around.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kaal posted:

The Skagit River Bridge might not have been rated poorly on a material stress calculator, but the archways were so poorly designed that the thing was going to come down sooner than later.

What happened was that a truck taller than the supporting archway was forced into the (lower) right hand lane, striking the I-Beam and tearing the entire thing off. The truck was given a transit permit based on its height being under the higher left-hand lane's archway- because the regulatory bodies at WDOT are kinda dumb.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

It could be worse like driving to a Oregon gas station with CA plates.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

It could be worse like driving to a Oregon gas station with CA plates.

Are the people in Oregon honestly that big of babies?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Dusseldorf posted:

Are the people in Oregon honestly that big of babies?

Not in Eugene, most cars here have CA plates.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sloppy posted:

Not in Eugene, most cars here have CA plates.

How many U of O students are from California, exactly?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Thanatosian posted:

Oregon has a big upside, in that lots of people from Washington go down there to do their shopping. It's an economic boon for them.

Sure Clark County conservatives come down and spend money, but they also siphon out jobs and businesses and undermine the Portland housing market. There's 60,000 commuting into Portland every day, and that represents a gaping hole in property taxes and community development that Oregonians have to fill - while also creating chronic unemployment issues in Portland. It's difficult to see that as a boon, and certainly not the basis for paying for a bridge just so Washington residents have an easier commute.

http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/how-two-state-tax-systems-have-and-havent-shaped-metro-portland-85899381614

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Its more to the point to ask yourself who would be able to afford the luxury of owning a car during their college years: those already paying out-of-state tuition, or those who are not paying out-of-state tuition?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Sure Clark County conservatives come down and spend money, but they also siphon out jobs and businesses and undermine the Portland housing market. There's 60,000 commuting into Portland every day, and that represents a gaping hole in property taxes and community development that Oregonians have to fill - while also having chronic unemployment issues. It's difficult to see that as a boon, and certainly not the basis for paying for a bridge just so Washington residents have an easier commute.

http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/how-two-state-tax-systems-have-and-havent-shaped-metro-portland-85899381614
So... we can all agree that the only people who the bridge is really good for is the tax-dodging assholes?

I mean, normally I'm in favor of infrastructure projects on principle, but gently caress those guys.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Thanatosian posted:

So... we can all agree that the only people who the bridge is really good for is the tax-dodging assholes?

I mean, normally I'm in favor of infrastructure projects on principle, but gently caress those guys.

I-5 is... kinda a big deal in interstate and international shipping.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

I-5 is... kinda a big deal in interstate and international shipping.

Fair point. That brings us back to the tolling option.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

All of them, I think. Except me.

Edit:

Oregon residents
55%

Out-of-state residents
35%

International
10%

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

Right, but that's never going to fly because it's a terrible idea for Oregonians to just build a bridge for Washington because it's "the right thing to do". I understand that the problem here is a bunch of Clark County assholes that are taking advantage of Washington's sales tax, and coming between two otherwise progressive states, but the only way that bridge is getting built is going to be a cooperative venture.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 15, 2014

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I don't really see a huge upside to Washington to fixing that bridge, though; what, we want to make it easier for the loving assholes in Vancouver to avoid paying for the infrastructure they're using? gently caress that.

I'd rather just shut the thing down, force the fuckfaces to buy their poo poo up here, or spend a bunch of extra time going around.

Building the bridge and light rail would help the development of downtown Vancouver. It's cheap to move office space there but noone really wants to move to a lovely area with a lovely commute too. Development would drive property values up. Whereas the bridge falling into the river would have the exact opposite effect. With bridges Vancouver is a nice suburb of Portland. Without bridges it goes back to being a lovely little industrial portghost-town.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Oregon should annex Vancouver. gently caress those jerks, you guys can have them. Take the rest of WA-3 while you're at it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

oxbrain posted:

Oregon should annex Vancouver. gently caress those jerks, you guys can have them. Take the rest of WA-3 while you're at it.

Giving them Jaime Herrera Beutler and her miracle baby would constitute a breach of the Geneva Conventions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Groceries are already exempt from sales tax.

So glad I typed that out without clarifying that groceries aren't just food.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

oxbrain posted:

Can we have the Palouse, too?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

oxbrain posted:

Howabout we trade with Canada. We can build a wall around Vancouver, WA, and treat it like east Berlin/Germany. Then expand WA up to Vancouver, BC, and build some real roads and such up there. I love Vancouver, BC--if you haven't ever visited, check it out. Tons of good food, parks, etc. Terrible roads though.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

They can take 205.

The-Mole posted:

Can we have the Palouse, too?

No.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kaal posted:

Sure Clark County conservatives come down and spend money, but they also siphon out jobs and businesses and undermine the Portland housing market. There's 60,000 commuting into Portland every day, and that represents a gaping hole in property taxes and community development that Oregonians have to fill - while also creating chronic unemployment issues in Portland. It's difficult to see that as a boon, and certainly not the basis for paying for a bridge just so Washington residents have an easier commute.

It's almost like both states would be better off adopting a mix of sales and progressive income tax.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

etalian posted:

It's almost like both states would be better off adopting a mix of sales and progressive income tax.

Considering that both Democrat and Republican gubernatorial candidates have indicated they support a sales tax in Oregon, probably not too far fetched that it will happen sooner or later.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

etalian posted:

I really can't imagine why Oregon would want to adopt the regressive sales tax that's causing the issues in the first place. Oregon isn't the one that's having the tax revenue problem - they're having a sketchy neighbors problem. By all standards, progressive taxation is the way to go - it makes people happier, provides steady funding, encourages stable business growth, and reduces income inequality. Whenever Oregon has revenue issues it's because Sizemore conservatives intentionally throw wrenches into the tax system. All of the complaints about our current system can be tied directly to out-of-state shitbags like Norquist who push through restrictions on the Oregon tax system, like how they prevented Oregon from creating reserve accounts during boom years and now blast progressive taxation for having deficits during the lean years.

size1one posted:

Considering that both Democrat and Republican gubernatorial candidates have indicated they support a sales tax in Oregon, probably not too far fetched that it will happen sooner or later.

I sure hope not. Fortunately Oregonians have a long history of rejecting the idea - nine times altogether. The last time Oregon conservatives tried to push through sales tax "reform" in 1993, 75% of Oregonians voted it down. If Kitzhaber wants to tie his new business-friendly politics to that particular mast, I won't feel bad about seeing him squirm in the primaries.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 16, 2014

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Kaal posted:

I sure hope not. Fortunately Oregonians have a long history of rejecting the idea - nine times altogether. The last time Oregon conservatives tried to push through sales tax "reform" in 1993, 75% of Oregonians voted it down. If Kitzhaber wants to tie his new business-friendly politics to that particular mast, I won't feel bad about seeing him squirm in the primaries.

It isn't a very popular idea and I find it hard to believe anyone floating that idea could get elected. Jon Justesen is also promising to raise the minimum wage too so who knows.

Also I was mistaken, The Democrats with tax plans are state senators:

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/12/sales_tax_fever_republican_can.html posted:

The Hass plan

Personal Income Tax cuts: Three lower tax rates 2, 4, and 6 percent. Boost the state’s earned income tax credit to 25 percent of the federal credit. Create a new tax credit for low-income taxpayers. Create a 50 percent capital gains exclusion for certain Oregon property. Revenue loss: $6 billion over two years.

Other tax cuts: Homestead exemption on property taxes limited to $50,000. Revenue loss: $1.6 billion over two years. Investment tax credit capped at $50 million. 100 million over two years.

Sales tax: New 5 percent sales tax on goods and services. New Revenue: $8.5 billion over two years.

The Justesen plan

Personal Income Tax cuts: Income tax eliminated for individuals making $100,000 or less of taxable income ($150,000 for joint filers). Revenue loss: Unclear. The cost would depend on how this limit cutoff is structured.

Other tax cuts: Offer a tax credit to property owners for certain improvements. Revenue loss: Unclear.

Sales tax: New 5 percent sales tax on goods and services, with a sales-tax holiday in March. New Revenue: This should raise somewhere in the neighborhood of $8 billion over two years.

This was a few months ago though and I haven't been watching it close enough to know where this has gone. Tax reform is a priority for Kitzhaber though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

size1one posted:

It isn't a very popular idea and I find it hard to believe anyone floating that idea could get elected. Jon Justesen is also promising to raise the minimum wage too so who knows. Also I was mistaken, The Democrats with tax plans are state senators. ... This was a few months ago though and I haven't been watching it close enough to know where this has gone. Tax reform is a priority for Kitzhaber though.

It's certainly shaping up to be an interesting primary. Usually Oregonians keep our incumbents on for the long-haul, so they can get as puissant as possible, but Kitzhaber seems intent on sabotaging his support from the left. I haven't liked him much this term, and I definitely don't like seeing the Oregonian print glowing editorials about how Kitzhaber plans to focus his next term on enacting sales taxes and pushing through anti-union laws. I don't know if working at OHSU changed his political stance, or if he just got gun-shy after tangling with the national Republicans during his first tenure, but Kitzhaber isn't the same man that he was during his first go-around as governor.

edit: And it looks like Jon Justesen pulled out of the race a couple months ago. Not too surprising since he was a Republican who was running far to the left of the party - advocating things like a living wage, gay/women's rights, and progressive taxation. He could have easily gone onto the Democratic ticket as a reformed moderate and seen better luck.

quote:

Justesen, previously a political unknown, raised eyebrows by campaigning as a staunch supporter of a sales tax and critic of income inequality. He called for raising the minimum wage and for support of abortion rights.

"While I believe in the foundational ideas of the Republican Party," he said in his statement, "somewhere along the way, those basic principles have been forgotten."

He called gay marriage the "civil rights issue of today" and said, "Until the party becomes more in tune with today's rapidly moving economic realities, along with cultural and social issues, candidates for the Republican Party will face a big challenge getting elected."

http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2014/01/republican_jon_justesen_questi.html

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Xylorjax posted:

They can already take 205.

If you're just interested in moving stuff between Seattle, Portland, and on south, 205 is already the better option, because it bypasses Vancouver and the more congested areas of Portland completely.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I heard on the radio today that the 15 Now movement in Seattle is introducing the bill that would raise the minimum wage to $15 as a city charter amendment which would mean that if it did pass it would require another vote to undo it since charter amendments cant be reversed by the city council. Pretty interesting that they feel confident enough to do it that way. I guess they'll require more signatures than if they were just doing it normal style.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Reason posted:

I heard on the radio today that the 15 Now movement in Seattle is introducing the bill that would raise the minimum wage to $15 as a city charter amendment which would mean that if it did pass it would require another vote to undo it since charter amendments cant be reversed by the city council. Pretty interesting that they feel confident enough to do it that way. I guess they'll require more signatures than if they were just doing it normal style.

It would most importantly bypass the silly things like 'legislature' and 'executive' and 'mitigating language'.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mod sassinator posted:

Not just you.

Thanatosian posted:

Not at all. You cant just throw a toll onto an Interstate (yet). (Even if that ongoing legal battle switches directions, it would be pretty sad to throw another regressive fee onto the pile.)

Also remember that that particular freeway stretches all the way to San Diego. Its not just a local tourist bridge.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, is the hit to shipping going to be greater than the hit Oregon might take from funding that thing especially considering the state's politics at the moment. It almost certainly is going to see giant program overruns which ultimately the state is going to have to pay for, which means Salem either has to raise taxes/fees or deny other infrastructure in the state more than already is planned.

Jobs from the port are important and everything, but are they more important than the potentially high fiscal downsides that will hit Oregon? Remember, Oregon probably won't be able to enforce tolls (and fines) without Washington assistance and even the highest functional tolls are probably not going to cover the whole thing as it is.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Maybe they could stop encouraging tax dodgers : http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/index.ssf/2014/01/tax_abatements_in_hillsboro_wa.html

... or giant political tax handouts: http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/index.ssf/2014/01/tax_abatements_in_hillsboro_wa.html

Same old...:
http://thesockeye.org/2012/11/30/governors-budget-ignores-out-of-control-tax-breaks/

quote:

The State of Oregon currently gives away $32 billion in tax breaks every two years–an increase of $3.4 billion (12%) in just the past few years.

... same old:
http://thesockeye.org/2012/12/04/guess-where-oregon-spends-more-money-than-anywhere-else-hint-its-not-k-12-schools/

quote:

During troubling economic times, Oregon has slashed budgets to our schools, human services, public safety, and other vital programs, all the while allowing tax expenditures to grow unchecked. In 2009, during a country-wide recession, Oregon’s budget was primarily balanced through budget cuts, furlough days, and layoffs, even while adding new tax breaks and allowing old tax breaks to grow

Not like Oregon is alone in these things of course, but "we have no choice but taxing the poor!" is (as usual) not true.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not that it's any better but you should see what we let Boeing get away with here. Last year's giveaway was 8 or 9 Billion, and they're still trying to gently caress the employees any way they can.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I haven't seen any polls on how Prop. 1 will turn out. I've read enough editorials that most news sites (minus The Stranger) give pretty FYGM reasons for why you should vote no. Essentially "sorry poor people, but you should just get a car instead" and no one really thinks about how many cars it would add to Seattle's already-awful congestion. Sadly I live on the edge of Snohomish next to King so I can't vote on it :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

seiferguy posted:

I haven't seen any polls on how Prop. 1 will turn out. I've read enough editorials that most news sites (minus The Stranger) give pretty FYGM reasons for why you should vote no. Essentially "sorry poor people, but you should just get a car instead" and no one really thinks about how many cars it would add to Seattle's already-awful congestion. Sadly I live on the edge of Snohomish next to King so I can't vote on it :(

Same here, though I'm much closer to Everett.

I don't get it, because supporting mass transit is the most FYGM position you can take as a car driver - fewer people in cars means my commute is better. No construction delays, no wait, just add buses and bus routes in my area and suddenly I'm saving time all over the loving place.

What is so difficult about this? Is it really nothing more than "Waah waah waah my precious bodily fluids tax money"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't get it, because supporting mass transit is the most FYGM position you can take as a car driver - fewer people in cars means my commute is better. No construction delays, no wait, just add buses and bus routes in my area and suddenly I'm saving time all over the loving place.

What is so difficult about this? Is it really nothing more than "Waah waah waah my precious bodily fluids tax money"?

The poors will literally take the light rail to your home, steal your tv and xbox, and take those home with them on light rail.

• Locked thread