Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Burt Buckle posted:

Is there any sort of designated thread for discussion about AAA or the other major Mexican promotion (pretty sure it's CMLL)? I want to get into them but I don't know if they have like a regular weekly tv show or PPVs or DVDs or what.

I don't care about AAA, but for CMLL, they stream basically half of the Arena Mexico card on Friday nights (8:30 CST I think) and they sometimes stream their Sunday shows (like 5:00 CST), both on http://terra.com.mx/. Follow luchablog and therealfredo on Twitter for updates on streaming, matches, etc. Cubsfan puts all his stuff up on his aforementioned site or Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/thecubsfan).

Be aware that CMLL makes baffling decisions sometimes like not streaming big shows or announcing a stream on their Facebook thirty minutes before it begins. They don't do PPVs and their weekly TV is on Fox Sports Deportes (it's the second half of the Arena Mexico shows). I'm probably forgetting stuff, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
CMLL is a promotion run by the the stereotype of Vince as an out of touch senior citizen, but Mexican and more socially respectable.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Is the AAA/CMLL relationship like a TNA/WWE thing where one company is viewed as more legitimate and big time or is it more of a WCW/WWF thing?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Burt Buckle posted:

Is the AAA/CMLL relationship like a TNA/WWE thing where one company is viewed as more legitimate and big time or is it more of a WCW/WWF thing?

CMLL is the traditional, out of touch promotion, but it's what you think of when you think lucha.

AAA is trying to be more like WWE and has the six-sided ring. AAA is more popular.

Neither are really WWE

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Burt Buckle posted:

Not a Lucha expert by a long shot, but I think closer to the latter. You have a clash of styles (CMLL being more traditional) and geography (CMLL is based in Mexico City, AAA runs there as well but focuses a lot on northern cities near the border). AAA is definitely more successful now, but I'm pretty sure CMLL was on top when Mistico was a hot draw last decade.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

ChampRamp posted:

More Mexico

Didn't CMLL have a show on Telemundo? I swear I remember being able to turn the channel up the guide a ways on Saturdays or Sundays and being able to comfort myself with that Corona ring.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CMLL lost most of their TV. They're not streaming online because they are a progressive company.

/wooo/tube does a weekly lucha sync from 4p on Tuesdays. It's mostly whatever cubsfan has uploaded in the last week. It's on right now.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, they lost TV on Telemundo iirc

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Thats a drat shame. Many a weekend in my house would be filled with "LUCHE LIBRE con SABADO GIGANTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while I was puttering around the house doing poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know what it'll end up being, but the idea of Robert Rodriguez, Mark Burnett, and Konnan all working on the El Rey project has my interest.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Commissar Ken posted:

Thats a drat shame. Many a weekend in my house would be filled with "LUCHE LIBRE con SABADO GIGANTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while I was puttering around the house doing poo poo.

I never saw any lucha on it, but SABADO SENSACIONAL probably helped usher me into puberty when I was a kid in San Diego. Mexican TV is rad is what I'm saying

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

wait wait wait, AAA is going to be on the El Rey network? Ahahahahahaha

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Sin Cara and Blue Demon Jr are going to be two of their big stars.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

oatgan posted:

AAA USA and AAA aren't the same even though they're both AAA, so it's strange.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Right now all I've ever seen on El Rey is reruns of The X Files and original series based on Robert Rodriguez movies

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Was this the first Wrestlemania that didn't do the national anthem at the beginning?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Was this the first Wrestlemania that didn't do the national anthem at the beginning?

They saved it for HHH's entrance.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

I don't think they've ever done the national anthem

But no I don't think they did america the beautiful last year either. probably other years idk

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Actually, why is it America The Beautiful instead of Star-Spangled Banner at WWE shows? Does Vince not like the real anthem or something? I'm sure when Mania's in Canada they've had the celebrity guest or Lillian sing Oh Canada.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

I don't think they've ever done the national anthem

But no I don't think they did america the beautiful last year either. probably other years idk

Now that Daniel Bryan is champion they'll be forced to do This Land is Your Land.

At least in my wrestling dreams they would be.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, why is it America The Beautiful instead of Star-Spangled Banner at WWE shows? Does Vince not like the real anthem or something? I'm sure when Mania's in Canada they've had the celebrity guest or Lillian sing Oh Canada.

Vince has been said to think America The Beautiful is a better song and he is fully correct

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know what the hell El Rey is but Verizon doesn't have it. Konnan mentioned they were working with big name American producers but I don't know why they didn't get on a channel more than 40 people get if they are.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Which finishers/signature moves have required the most work from the opponent to perform?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

epitasis posted:

Vince has been said to think America The Beautiful is a better song and he is fully correct

Vince is really really cool

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

flatluigi posted:

Which finishers/signature moves have required the most work from the opponent to perform?

C-4/The Plank is entirely the other guy doing it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

flatluigi posted:

The Canadian Destroyer.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

reverse hurricanranas are a guy jumping over backwards onto his own head

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Bard Maddox posted:

The Canadian Destroyer.

The Infinity Destroyer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfA_9qkEw3E

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Sin Cara and Blue Demon Jr are going to be two of their big stars.

What gimmick/mask will Sin Cara/Mistico work? Doesn't CMLL own both trademarks in Mexico?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

AfterFather posted:

What gimmick/mask will Sin Cara/Mistico work? Doesn't CMLL own both trademarks in Mexico?

CMLL owns Mistico. Sin Cara claims he owns Sin Cara, but he's probably lying so who the gently caress knows. He'll be like Mystico and have a similar mask.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Has WWE ever shot any events on film? Or have they always used tape/video?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know what the hell El Rey is but Verizon doesn't have it. Konnan mentioned they were working with big name American producers but I don't know why they didn't get on a channel more than 40 people get if they are.

It's a station targeting Latinos, but with programming that is mostly English. It's a project they want on there to try and launch the network to the masses, thinking lucha is iconic enough to do it. Of course in the initial releases it was made obvious they won't be doing even the AAA version of lucha, it is going to be even more Americanized. Instead of mask matches they are going to have the best wrestlers from different regions fighting for the spirit of lucha libre or some poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't think goldbergs jackhammer was kicked out of and I'm fairly sure Chris Jericho never won a single match in WWE with his lionsault.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

oldpainless posted:

and I'm fairly sure Chris Jericho never won a single match in WWE with his lionsault.

He won one important one but it was [REDACTED] :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

titties posted:

I never saw any lucha on it, but SABADO SENSACIONAL probably helped usher me into puberty when I was a kid in San Diego. Mexican TV is rad is what I'm saying

Username/post combo delivers.

I used to find the CMLL episodes on like channel 1200 or something stupid (god bless fully loaded FiOS) but never got as into it. I doubt that's still around though.

The best way to watch NJPW is follow the thread, most good stuff gets re-posted and there's always links to the iPPV purchase pages for the big shows. And we usually track down whatever Yottsume has translated recently. God bless that otaku for all his hard work.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cromulent posted:

I don't think they've ever used film, film has a very distinct look to it that looks a little strange when presenting sport

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cromulent posted:

WrestleMania 19 was originally filmed as "WrestleMania: The Movie", but it was eventually just released as the TV special "The Mania of WrestleMania":

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxdf06_the-mania-of-wrestlemania_sport

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oldpainless posted:

I don't think goldbergs jackhammer was kicked out of and I'm fairly sure Chris Jericho never won a single match in WWE with his lionsault.

He beat Regal with it at the very least at WM X7.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

AfterFather posted:

Konnan mentioned it on an episode of the MLW podcast, he said that they're in talks with everyone involved but he'll most likely need a new name and mask. He was introduced at an AAA show during an angle a few weeks ago but couldn't do anything except stand on a darkened entrance ramp.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Has anyone seen the famous five star Sheepherders match? Does it hold up today? I can't imagine anything involving those two warranting more than an above average brawl by today's standards.