Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Well it did talk about how Kerrigan had a ton of endorsements and Harding couldn't get any at a few points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Simplex posted:

There's probably some really interesting issues to deal with there as Kerrigan was a ridiculous stereotype of a rich princess. But the documentary really didn't delve very deeply into her background.

I haven't watched this 30 for 30 yet but while this comes into play partially with Tonya for sure, it'd be a much bigger point in anything done about Kritsi and Kerrigan.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

NBC is airing a documentary on Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, the KHL team that had the tragic plane crash a few years ago, during Saturday's afternoon Olympics coverage.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

What was that like? When did she live with you?

You've gotta do an A/T about this, man. Inquiring minds gotta know!

Tonyas entire skill set is in jumping and spinning so she never made much money without endorsements. She lived in my house in 90-91 when she transitioned from Diane Rawlins to my mother as a coach. So I got the "good" days of skate America and worlds.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Requiem for the Big East to premier March 16th.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dantu posted:

gently caress yes. I can't do Selection Sunday without a 30 for 30 now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'd love for someone to do a 30 for 30 on the Miami Marlins stadium boondoggle. Reading articles about it just make me laugh and cry. The political fallout around the stadium is the best. Miami is good and hosed. Also great how Jeffrey Loria hosed the Expos and is a piece of poo poo. Would be fun. Just make a Loria hit piece.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone see the Harding and Kerrigan documentary on NBC? I'm curious how it stacked up to Price of Gold.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone see the Harding and Kerrigan documentary on NBC? I'm curious how it stacked up to Price of Gold.

I know three people who saw both and said the NBC one is far better FWIW

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Having seen neither do you think it had to do with the fact that NBC had full access to olympic archives?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Having seen neither do you think it had to do with the fact that NBC had full access to olympic archives?

NBC had access to Kerrigan.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I saw very little, but from what I DID see (starting right around the time where she performed and won silver), Kerrigan seemed/s like even more of a spoiled shitstain.

Didn't she piss and moan the whole time she was in the Disney parade, complaining it was corny and a waste? If you paid me decent money, I'd sit next to Mickey and wave while biting my tongue if I hated it. Then she got paid more to make a terrible joke about it on SNL.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If I recall a hot mic just caught her saying that. I mean, I'm not going to hold that against her. Because it is corny and is a waste.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was planning out some films to go see at the Tribecca Film Festival and came across this.

quote:

Slaying the Badger
Directed and written by John Dower
(UK) – World Premiere, Documentary

Before Lance Armstrong, there was Greg LeMond, who is now the first and only American to win the Tour de France. In this engrossing documentary, LeMond looks back at the pivotal 1986 Tour, and his increasingly vicious rivalry with friend, teammate, and mentor Bernard Hinault. The reigning Tour champion and brutal competitor known as “The Badger,” Hinault ‘promised’ to help LeMond to his first victory, in return for LeMond supporting him in the previous year. But in a sport that purports to reward teamwork, it’s really every man for himself. An ESPN Films Production.

Seems that this could be part of the next round of films. I'll probably try to get tickets and report back later.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

I was planning out some films to go see at the Tribecca Film Festival and came across this.

Seems that this could be part of the next round of films. I'll probably try to get tickets and report back later.
ESPN Films, I'd guess it will be. Definitely has the kind of narrative pull they like to get out of their 30 for 30 pieces.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They need to make a hit piece 30 for 30 on the 72 Dolphins that simply shows them how they are. Insufferable morons.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I swear I could watching Winning Time every day

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
April 17 will be the Bad Boys documentary, with an hour-long roundtable afterwards featuring Simmons, Jalen Rose, Doug Collins, and "several Pistons players from that era". :getin:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AceFace905 posted:

April 17 will be the Bad Boys documentary, with an hour-long roundtable afterwards featuring Simmons, Jalen Rose, Doug Collins, and "several Pistons players from that era". :getin:

oh hell yes

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Dantu posted:

So far I'm enjoying it. Especially how they said Ewing had all those goaltends on purpose that one title game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AceFace905 posted:

I'm down

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

So far I'm enjoying it. Especially how they said Ewing had all those goaltends on purpose that one title game.

I very much enjoyed it, though It's kind of obvious where the conference hosed up.

If they had put the same sort of effort to create what they had in basketball on the gridiron? The conference would still be around today, and likely thriving.

The TV dollars that would have been produced from the Boston College's, Penn State, Miami's, Pitt's and West Virginia's of the world would have been pretty significant. The "Game of the weeks" produced from those programs would have been fantastic. (Hell they were back in the early 2000's).

That's kind of why the Big Ten, ACC, SEC and PAC 10 (that they mention) are very much still alive to day. Each one of those have been able to parlay their football viewership into cash, which in turn funds their individual schools.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
More like Requiem for Syracuse and Georgetown, god drat. I think they spent like a minute total on UConn when they won more national titles than the rest of the schools they spent all that time on combined.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

The TV dollars that would have been produced from the Boston College's, Penn State, Miami's, Pitt's and West Virginia's of the world would have been pretty significant. The "Game of the weeks" produced from those programs would have been fantastic. (Hell they were back in the early 2000's).

Knowing what we know now, it's likely that the Penn State and Miami would have wandered off to the ACC and taken someone else with them. Realistically, those are the only two out of the Alternate 1983 Big East that had truly massive TV money potential. I do think they'd still have been the meat looking to be cut from the bone during the rise of the super-conference. When you get down to it, it was inevitable than the 12 and 14 team conference was going to happen. Although if Miami, Penn State, and Pitt had been able to continue their 1975-1985 success (as a group) indefinitely, those would have been the three that went to the ACC. The Big East, as even a successful football conference, is in a tough position to expand to a 12 team conference and it's much easier to take them apart. And still would have had the non-football members causing a ruckus.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

Knowing what we know now, it's likely that the Penn State and Miami would have wandered off to the ACC and taken someone else with them. Realistically, those are the only two out of the Alternate 1983 Big East that had truly massive TV money potential. I do think they'd still have been the meat looking to be cut from the bone during the rise of the super-conference. When you get down to it, it was inevitable than the 12 and 14 team conference was going to happen. Although if Miami, Penn State, and Pitt had been able to continue their 1975-1985 success (as a group) indefinitely, those would have been the three that went to the ACC. The Big East, as even a successful football conference, is in a tough position to expand to a 12 team conference and it's much easier to take them apart. And still would have had the non-football members causing a ruckus.

I found the whole :qq: of football being the villain a bit off-putting.

College Basketball is alright in my book, as is March Madness, but it's clear who rules the world of college athletics. Those being interviewed knew this full well, and just continued to kind of act like snobs about it. Wilbon was quite the rear end, for example.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Wilbon was quite the rear end, for example.

:aaa:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

rscott posted:

More like Requiem for Syracuse and Georgetown, god drat. I think they spent like a minute total on UConn when they won more national titles than the rest of the schools they spent all that time on combined.

Seriously. They couldn't get PJ to sit for an interview in between being fired from the Nets? The conference was a lot more then Georgetown Syracuse.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I found the whole :qq: of football being the villain a bit off-putting.

College Basketball is alright in my book, as is March Madness, but it's clear who rules the world of college athletics. Those being interviewed knew this full well, and just continued to kind of act like snobs about it. Wilbon was quite the rear end, for example.

I haven't got around to watching it yet, do they really get all "big bad football broke our conference?"

It always kinda tickles me that colleges are pretty much in the same conference in all their sports, rather than ones that make sense sport by sport (I mean, its not like the Pirates, Indians, Reds, and Orioles are in the same division), but that's a topic for another time and another thread.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I haven't got around to watching it yet, do they really get all "big bad football broke our conference?"

It always kinda tickles me that colleges are pretty much in the same conference in all their sports, rather than ones that make sense sport by sport (I mean, its not like the Pirates, Indians, Reds, and Orioles are in the same division), but that's a topic for another time and another thread.

Yeah.

They kind of cite Penn State not joining/joining the Big Ten as the turning point of "RUINING" their beloved conference. They even literally show a black uniformed team in a tunnel as the enemy for their beloved conference.

Even had some snobby comment about Morgantown "HURR, WHO WOULD EVER THOUGHT WE'D GO TO MORGANTOWN", than they cut to a scene of mountain yokels ie: Jesco White. (Funny, I've been to Morgantown, and it was NOTHING like they showed. It actually came off as a fun little college town).

The whole thing reeked of East Coast elitism. The parts about Ewing were good, but some of the reporters/commissioners were just flat out snobs.

You are right though. I think programs like 'Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Ruters, Virginia Tech, Penn State, The U, and Boston College were too big for that conference. It didn't quite make sense for them.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The first soccer doc debuts tonight, looking back at the Hillsborough disaster 25 years later:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=hillsborough

Strangely enough, this movie will not be airing in the UK for...reasons.

quote:

Rather than just celebrating the love of the game, the first episode, titled Hillsborough (airing on April 15), takes on one of the darkest days in European football in a documentary that can’t be aired in the U.K. due to a new inquest launched 25 years after the incident and strict contempt of court laws.

Because the new inquest has started just two weeks ago, it can’t be shown in the UK until the jury delivers its verdict. Which is a year from now. I really want it to be shown now. You want it to have the impact now, but you can’t. It’s as simple as that.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 16, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Very interested to watch this. I've heard great things about this doc. I've read a lot about Hillsborough but this should be interesting.

EricHall
Aug 7, 2006
A quick reminder that Hillsborough is the first of two 30 for 30's to air this week, as Bad Boys (about the 1980's Detroit Pistons team) will air on Thursday.

Looking over the other soccer 30 for 30's scheduled, even as someone who has little interest in the sport, they seem interesting. Much more than some of the ones in the last series anyway.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Really kind of shocking that they used to use pens for fan control. Terrible idea.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Really kind of shocking that they used to use pens for fan control. Terrible idea.

Ken Bates wanted the tops to be electrified.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Ha, I recall reading that. It's also kind of shocking how some of the older stadiums in England are just, well, old as hell. I was just at White Hart Lane a few weeks ago and man, the concourses are narrow as hell and segmented by very small doorways. Granted, it's over 100 years old but its not hard to imagine how this type of thing happened.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Some stadiums in other countries still use the old-fashioned ones, and they put barbed wire over the top of the fencing. There was a stadium in Africa just a few years ago that had a similar setup and a crush of people happened and yeah you can imagine what happened...

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Crazy Ted posted:

Some stadiums in other countries still use the old-fashioned ones, and they put barbed wire over the top of the fencing. There was a stadium in Africa just a few years ago that had a similar setup and a crush of people happened and yeah you can imagine what happened...

Yeah I was going to comment on that as well. When you see crazy loving poo poo go on in stadiums now they're usually in Africa or South America and they still have huge fence barriers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Yeah I was going to comment on that as well. When you see crazy loving poo poo go on in stadiums now they're usually in Africa or South America and they still have huge fence barriers.
The Azteca used to have a loving moat around the field.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This is a great doc. Both for those who know nothing and those who know a lot. I know a decent amount. But it does a great job of setting the stage as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That was incredible. I knew the broader strokes of the Hillsborough Disaster but not many of the finer details, and this laid it out in a way that hit me in the gut. I lost it when the fans started chanting "justice for the 96."

One of the best ESPN docs yet, and the rest of the soccer series has a high bar to live up to.

E: For whatever reason, this story didn't gain much traction in American media. I think this tweet is some useful context for us filthy Yanks:

quote:

Bobby Big Wheel ‏@BobbyBigWheel 8m

Hillsborough is like if the U.S. had attempted a coverup to show rap music caused the L.A. riots.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 16, 2014

• Locked thread