Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Angry Lobster posted:

Please, could you tell me more about this?

Well, like Frozendorf said, it's via vassal. I'm gonna get playing when I finish exams in two weeks. If you want to get a game in, PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Can anyone tell me about Ciaphas Cain? Is it any good?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The second post of the OP sure can!

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
I'd recommend it if only for the unusual combination of 40k and comedy. It's not a comedy-first book obviously, but it's well-described as "Flashman in space," and in a setting so grimdark as 40k, it's a great change of pace and is written in a generally good and entertaining manner. There's definitely some overlap in the narrative arcs of the books, but I pretty much expect that from a book series like this one, which is fully aware it's written in the style of a serial novel.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Can anyone tell me about Ciaphas Cain? Is it any good?

I like it even if it is the same story rewritten a hundred times. It covers a lot of slice of life stuff and is less grimdark than anything out there.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

The Rat posted:

The second post of the OP sure can!

The second post of the OP says Angel Exterminatus is in the same category as Betrayer, Know no Fear, Legion, etc, and puts Outcast Dead under the "Good" category. It was most likely written by a heretic. :commissar:

I will try reading the first book of Ciphas Cain to see how it is.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

UberJumper posted:

The second post of the OP says Angel Exterminatus is in the same category as Betrayer, Know no Fear, Legion, etc, and puts Outcast Dead under the "Good" category. It was most likely written by a heretic. :commissar:

I will try reading the first book of Ciphas Cain to see how it is.

Is Angel Exterminatus not very good? I was planning on listening to the audiobook soon.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I would also recommend the Ciaphis Cain books.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

Is Angel Exterminatus not very good? I was planning on listening to the audiobook soon.

As ever its a question of personal taste. I wasn't around here when that book came out. Back then there might have been enough consensus from the posters to say that Angel exterminatus was good, or it might just be the op that thinks its good all his own. Id still give it a shot, its not unreadable(un-listenable in your case). If anything it includes some personal bits about Perturabo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Angel Exterminatus is actually hilarious once you realize Fulgrim's plan to sacrifice a primarch's life to Slaanesh in order to ascend to daemon-princehood went perfectly.

Sorry for anyone who saw the improperly tagged spoiler.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 16, 2014

Shroud
May 11, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Angel Exterminatus

Check your tags

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

As ever its a question of personal taste. I wasn't around here when that book came out. Back then there might have been enough consensus from the posters to say that Angel exterminatus was good, or it might just be the op that thinks its good all his own. Id still give it a shot, its not unreadable(un-listenable in your case). If anything it includes some personal bits about Perturabo.

A lot of the stuff in the OP I added based on consensus at the time. Angel Exterminatus was very well received by people in this thread when it came out. Anyway, the book is fine, not as good as Abnett/ADB's HH stuff but what is.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Angel Exterminatus was very well received by people in this thread when it came out. Anyway, the book is fine, not as good as Abnett/ADB's HH stuff but what is.

It was? I thought it was a terrible generic marine novel with a magic mcguffin no one cared about.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ed balls balls man posted:

It was? I thought it was a terrible generic marine novel with a magic mcguffin no one cared about.

People enjoyed the characterization of Perturabo.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I liked it :) I didnt think it was good, but it wasn't bad.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Angel Exterminatus really diminished the Iron Warriors, one of my favorite legions, in my eyes. They come across as whiny, flat and uninteresting. It also spends way too much time being a prequel to Storm of Iron instead of fleshing out its own story. And the whole 'twist' with the eldar guides is really bad.

However, it does offer some needed insights into Perturabo's reasons. And I liked some of the Fulgrim antics as he fully embraces his corruption.

I quite disliked most of Know No Fear, though, so my opinion should be taken with a salt shaker or two.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sephyr posted:

Angel Exterminatus really diminished the Iron Warriors, one of my favorite legions, in my eyes. They come across as whiny, flat and uninteresting. It also spends way too much time being a prequel to Storm of Iron instead of fleshing out its own story. And the whole 'twist' with the eldar guides is really bad.

However, it does offer some needed insights into Perturabo's reasons. And I liked some of the Fulgrim antics as he fully embraces his corruption.

I quite disliked most of Know No Fear, though, so my opinion should be taken with a salt shaker or two.

Know No Fear is great, it's Fear to Tread that's profoundly 'meh.'

Full-Chaos Fulgrim is kind of hilariously dickish.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
4/5 of the way through Angel Exterminatus and while there have been some decent parts I have yet to read anything that actually redeems the literary VX-poison-gas-of-diarrhea that is Graham McNeill's writing. It's not just bad by standards of what works with 40k, it's simply bad by the standards of writing anything.

I'm going to go re-read the Gaunt novel where they're on Gereon and pine for another Abnett/Bowden book to come out.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Deptfordx posted:

I would also recommend the Ciaphis Cain books.

I am reading the first one and it is the most :unsmith: 40k book yet. It is a nice change of pace, and the writing is decent.

I don't think Angel Exterminatus is a bad book, the characterization of Perturabo was decent, and fulgrim being fulgrim was enjoyable. The book overall is not horrible and doesn't deserve to be cast into the pit containing Battle of the Abyss. I just don't think it deserves to be in the same category as those genuinely good HH books.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
AE was probably one of the better McNeill books, but if you analyze his writing style its easy to see why people wouldn't like the way he writes. He is no ADB or DA but he can occasionally write a good book, but he is not exactly consistent in the good vs bad ratio.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
McNeill is at the level of mediocre competence where he can fill in some interesting events or stuff about the universe without the prose being so bad that it actively makes you want to stop reading and put it down. Or at least, that's my level of tolerance for it.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of McNeill, is there a consensus about Thousand Sons? I just started it and got to this part. After a paragraph or two of description about one of the main character's sun-brown skin and dark hair etc....

quote:

She smiled down at him, and he gave her his best, most winning smile in return. It was a wasted effort; Camille’s appetites did not include the likes of him...

Then the guy smiling at her starts talking about how fat he is, and she's all "oh no, you're not that fat, I promise."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thinking about modern characterization of legions and what nots, wouldn't it make sense for the Alpha Legion to be Tzeneetch aligned? I mean they're all about the plotting and deviousness right?

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Thousand Sons is actually one of my favorite HH books; I'd entirely forgotten McNeil wrote it. I had to push myself through a couple parts of Angel Exterminatus, but I remember tearing right through Thousand Sons. It's got a lot of great characterization for the legion and how they operate, and is pretty much a must-read if you're going to check out Prospero Burns afterwards.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thinking about modern characterization of legions and what nots, wouldn't it make sense for the Alpha Legion to be Tzeneetch aligned? I mean they're all about the plotting and deviousness right?

And while the Thousand Sons definitely represent the magicky aspect of Tzeentch, the Alpha Legion would most definitely represent the "endless plots and conspiracies" part of it. Then again, if they are, it would make perfect sense that they don't even realize they're part of Tzeentch's schemes.

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 20, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

One Legged Cat posted:

Thousand Sons is actually one of my favorite HH books; I'd entirely forgotten McNeil wrote it. I had to push myself through a couple parts of Angel Exterminatus, but I remember tearing right through Thousand Sons. It's got a lot of great characterization for the legion and how they operate, and is pretty much a must-read if you're going to check out Prospero Burns afterwards.

Cool, I'm just starting it and that part just struck me as really goony. I just finished Prospero Burns, though, which I really enjoyed, so I'm looking forward to seeing the other side of the last part of that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bunnyofdoom posted:

I believe they were lumped in with Tzeench in one of the RPG books so they might be, but you'll never know...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sharkie posted:

Cool, I'm just starting it and that part just struck me as really goony. I just finished Prospero Burns, though, which I really enjoyed, so I'm looking forward to seeing the other side of the last part of that.

Considering the Thousand Sons are basically the goons of the various legions, this shouldn't surprise you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VanSandman posted:

Considering the Thousand Sons are basically the goons of the various legions, this shouldn't surprise you.

I get the feeling the only reason goons like Angel Exterminatus is because Perturabo is definitely the other runner up for goon-appeal primarch, hiding out in his secret nerdcave bitterly muttering about how nobody respects him.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

Tutelary spirits are basically waifus, got it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sharkie posted:

Tutelary spirits are basically waifus, got it.

"T-Tzeentch-senpai..."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I would have thought the ADTRW crowd would have gone for Slaanesh, but I guess Tzeentch does bring tentacles to the party.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If I was looking to get into the ADB Night Lords series, how important is it that I read Lord of Night first? A friend loaned it to me and said that there were a lot of references to it in the ADB series but I'm a couple chapters in and it seems pretty dire.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Not important at all. There's a few references, but nothing in the Night Lords books depends on you having read Lord of Night.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PantsOptional posted:

If I was looking to get into the ADB Night Lords series, how important is it that I read Lord of Night first? A friend loaned it to me and said that there were a lot of references to it in the ADB series but I'm a couple chapters in and it seems pretty dire.

Really? I quite liked it. It does establish one central fact, though, by the end of the book:
The Eldar HATE the Night Lords.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, but even the Night Lords hate the Night Lords. Everybody hates the Night Lords.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
I actually read ADB's Night Lords trilogy first, and am reading Lord of the Night right now. You could definitely start on either, but I really liked starting off reading about a ship full of Night Lords and then moving on to Lord of the Night, which is about a single one set loose on a hive city. Both are great, and I'm finding myself really hoping that Simon Spurrier writes more 40k; like ADB, he really seems to get what's so great about the setting.

vvv Well drat. I figured I would've heard his name more often if he was still putting out books of that quality, so that makes sense.

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 22, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

One Legged Cat posted:

I actually read ADB's Night Lords trilogy first, and am reading Lord of the Night right now. You could definitely start on either, but I really liked starting off reading about a ship full of Night Lords and then moving on to Lord of the Night, which is about a single one set loose on a hive city. Both are great, and I'm finding myself really hoping that Simon Spurrier writes more 40k; like ADB, he really seems to get what's so great about the setting.

Spurrier hasn't written for BL in 8 years, so...don't hold your breath. Though I guess they got Bill King to come back so you never know.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Totally offtopic here but a long time ago someone made a brilliant description of Chaos in the warhammer universe.

Did anyone save this post so I can put it in my warhammer.txt?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

VanSandman posted:

"T-Tzeentch-senpai..."

Oh, screw you! I was doing such a good job keeping my new notebook crumb-free, then I was eating a croissant (ahem, -medialuna-) and scrolling down and snorted half of it right into my keyboard laughing.

And if it seems Alpha Legion is aligned with Tzeentch, they are certainly Nurgle groupies. Or possibly a 5th chaos god that may or may not exist.

Back on book talk, I finished Path of the Incubus today. It's maybe a 7 out of 10. It's also the least self-contained book from Black Library other than the Horus trilogy; if you didn't read Path of the Outcast, you'll be grasping at many straws through most of it.

On the bright side, it does give a lot of insight into one of the coolest characters of the first book, and had some entertaining antics on the part of the resident Harlequin. On the other, it reads like the author grabbed the codex and made a checklist of what toys to include, alphabetically. "Alright, Agonizer, gotta put in one of these. And Desintegrators, that sounds cool too. One of each pain engine. I should drop a special character, too. Are we still on D? Drazhar it is!"

The whole thing feels like one of those disaster movies from the 1970s; a motley cast of characters trying to escape the volcano/earthquake/killing trees/night of the lepus, feuding along the way and having choice members snuffed here and there.

I also finished Dark Disciple, but good grief, it was bad. It pretty much self-destructed in my mind the moment I put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Mikojan posted:

Totally offtopic here but a long time ago someone made a brilliant description of Chaos in the warhammer universe.

Did anyone save this post so I can put it in my warhammer.txt?

My favorite is from the simple english wikipedia article:

Chaos Space Marines must kill everything and let the galaxies burn.

I tried something recently- I asked my wife to read the night lords trilogy. Her exposure to 40k has pretty much been seeing (and sometimes smelling) guys playing it in stores- she's looked through some of the art books and her understanding of the setting basically comes from the "in the grim darkness" blurb at the front of the books.

She really enjoyed them. She had me show her some of the things mentioned in the books, like the size of a marine versus a human (her initial impression was that the marines were normal sized men inside the armor) and a couple of other things as they came up. She really appreciated the human characters and kinda approached everything from their viewpoint- she liked not knowing everything about the marines (like what exactly the exalted was), it made them (even the "good guys- especially the descriptions of the blood angels' dreadnought) really strange, mysterious and generally terrifying. She commented that even if I don't really identify with the lords directly, my grasp of the setting kinda has me observing their conversations from "above"- I know how incredibly hosed up the 40k universe can be. Even though I didn't know specific plot points, I knew what to expect. Before she started reading, they were guys in metal suits that probably lead relatively normal lives outside of their suits.

Her favorite aspect was ADB's manipulation of her perception- being kinda in awe of Talos when he rescues Eurydice and then very explicitly reminded that he and the other lords are for real boogeymen that do incredibly horrifying things to innocent, defenseless people.