Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

epitasis posted:

The last page of the video game deals thread in Coupons crashes for me every time and I don't have anyone ignored there. Meanwhile:

So I don't see how that makes sense.

It might just mean the issue isn't with the ignoring routine, also that is *so* bitchmade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

If you can't handle just scrolling past posts by people you don't like you don't deserve to read the internet anyway.

epitasis posted:

The last page of the video game deals thread in Coupons crashes for me every time and I don't have anyone ignored there. Meanwhile:

haha

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

epitasis posted:

Look at this at&t using bitch

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

epitasis posted:

the app realises how bad you are and doesnt want you to read/post anymore

hope this helps

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I thought it was pretty funny

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

epitasis posted:

I thought it was pretty funny

It is

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

the awful app never loaded any threads for me

also lol at using the ignore function for anything other than spammers what a walking vagina

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride
Are we ever going to get full screen browsing back? I really liked that feature because I like not having so much of my screen covered by menu buttons that I don't need at all times. Also, why is there no option to reduce font size? I like tiny rear end font like the smallest size in iBooks.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

BrandonLakeTruck posted:

Are we ever going to get full screen browsing back? I really liked that feature because I like not having so much of my screen covered by menu buttons that I don't need at all times. Also, why is there no option to reduce font size? I like tiny rear end font like the smallest size in iBooks.

It was changed so the font size is connected to the phone's dynamic text size thing.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 15, 2014

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

The Belgian posted:

the app realises how bad you are and doesnt want you to read/post anymore

hope this helps

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

BrandonLakeTruck posted:

- Ideally yes. I think everyone helping out with the app is hoping to eventually get something similiar to iOS7 safari. Manpower is always the crutch though.

- Awful 2's font size is tied into your system wide iOS7 dynamic type setting. However I think pokeyman is rolling this back when he has the time to based on public reception.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
This is a total nitpick, but can you gray out "Previous posts" more on the dark theme? The contrast isn't great and I tend to think it's enabled half the time it isn't.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

fourwood posted:

This is a total nitpick, but can you gray out "Previous posts" more on the dark theme? The contrast isn't great and I tend to think it's enabled half the time it isn't.

Keep meaning to bring this up. I agree.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The new version crashes whenever I try to post a new thread on my iPad Air running iOS 7.1. Everything else works, including replies. Just no thread creation.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

I can say though that a thread I tried to load earlier wouldn't load. I went in Safari and unignored the one person I had on ignore. Came back into the app and the thread loaded just fine with no crashes.

It definitely seems to be some sort of bug with ignored users.

Nah I've had threads crash the app then immediately after it would load fine so I don't think it's that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

chami posted:

I'm getting a pretty regular crash when opening threads, and I after experimenting a bit it seems like it crashes whenever I open a thread with posts by someone I have on my Ignore list. Is this a known issue?

The crash was, and is fixed for the next version, but it hadn't occurred to me that the ignore list might be the problem. So good find.

I haven't looked at the code with this in mind, but I don't think it's quite as simple as "ignored post means crash". I think it had to do with whether you've encountered the ignored post's author before.

spankmeister posted:

Nah I've had threads crash the app then immediately after it would load fine so I don't think it's that.

The other major cause for crashes is the posts view's web view blowing up for unknown reasons. If a thread crashes once then works next time, it's probably the web view.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

The crash was, and is fixed for the next version, but it hadn't occurred to me that the ignore list might be the problem. So good find.

I haven't looked at the code with this in mind, but I don't think it's quite as simple as "ignored post means crash". I think it had to do with whether you've encountered the ignored post's author before.

The other major cause for crashes is the posts view's web view blowing up for unknown reasons. If a thread crashes once then works next time, it's probably the web view.

If it helps, I was testing it a bit and found that it doesn't crash if you remove the poster from your ignore list, load the thread up in Awful, re-add them to the list, and refresh the page in the app. It makes sense if it's an issue loading new posts from an ignored user, not posts you've already seen in the app.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Now that I've updated, I'm having the issue where I can't load beyond the first page of bookmarks again. Iphone 5, iOS 7.0.4 vanilla.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
On my ipad air sometimes threads won't scroll via touch. I can still tap next page or jump to bottom. It seems totally random and can be fixed by going to another thread and coming back

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I was testing out the color themes on yospos and when I switched to the light gray theme it always crashes when attempting to view a thread and can't edit it back to any other theme now. iOS 7.0.4 5s

For all I know this is a feature and not a bug :shrug:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

chami posted:

If it helps, I was testing it a bit and found that it doesn't crash if you remove the poster from your ignore list, load the thread up in Awful, re-add them to the list, and refresh the page in the app. It makes sense if it's an issue loading new posts from an ignored user, not posts you've already seen in the app.

That does help, thanks.

Kaizoku posted:

Now that I've updated, I'm having the issue where I can't load beyond the first page of bookmarks again. Iphone 5, iOS 7.0.4 vanilla.

What happens when you try? Do you get the little spinner thing at all? Or does it just bounce back and do nothing?

f1av0r posted:

On my ipad air sometimes threads won't scroll via touch. I can still tap next page or jump to bottom. It seems totally random and can be fixed by going to another thread and coming back

You're not the only one, but I'm having a real hard time tracking this one down. Sorry. I'll keep on it.

kloa posted:

I was testing out the color themes on yospos and when I switched to the light gray theme it always crashes when attempting to view a thread and can't edit it back to any other theme now. iOS 7.0.4 5s

For all I know this is a feature and not a bug :shrug:

It's fixed in the next version.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pokeyman posted:

What happens when you try? Do you get the little spinner thing at all? Or does it just bounce back and do nothing?

It bounces back and does nothing. No spinner, nothing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have not been able to log in to this app for months now. I've deleted and reinstalled it many times and updated it whenever there was a new update, and no dice. Still getting the "Problem Logging In" error, as if I had typed my details in wrong, which I have not.

Is there some thing with iOS where it saves some data across installs now that could have corrupted something to cause this? I know when I delete it and go to the store to re-download, it has a cloud icon thing instead of an install button, but I am not using iCloud at all.

edit: of course, now that I have bitched, it has finally started working on my last attempt. Disregard, I suppose.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 16, 2014

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

pokeyman secretly took you off his blacklist :ssh:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I posted this brilliant thread in yospos:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626109&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The app crashed immediately but posted the thread successfully.

Is this a new posting quality detector?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

pokeyman posted:

You're not the only one, but I'm having a real hard time tracking this one down. Sorry. I'll keep on it.

I actually might have spotted something that might help you. It seems to be related to scrolling while the app refreshes the thread, which makes it way more common on the ipad than iphone because the ipad version likes to refresh the bookmarks/forums list and the open thread every time you open a link. I twice (once on ipad, once on iphone) managed to get it so the scrollbar remained visible even while I wasn't touching the screen and scrolling became impossible. Using two fingers reset it (on the ipad anyway, on the iphone I forget what I did, just used back I think). But I'm pretty sure it happened because a refresh ended while I was scrolling as I remember that happening both times. I haven't deliberately tried to reproduce it though to be honest, so it might be more complex than that.

I hope some part of that babbling is helpful in fixing this!

Also, is there a reason the ability to hide the forum/bookmark list was removed from ipad landscape mode? I almost never use portrait and liked being able to hide it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The security fuckup megathread in yospos now crashes my app every time I try to open it. I'll try removing some people from my ignore list later today to see if that helps.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

It bounces back and does nothing. No spinner, nothing.

That helps, thanks. I'll take a look.

Light Gun Man posted:

I have not been able to log in to this app for months now. I've deleted and reinstalled it many times and updated it whenever there was a new update, and no dice. Still getting the "Problem Logging In" error, as if I had typed my details in wrong, which I have not.

Is there some thing with iOS where it saves some data across installs now that could have corrupted something to cause this? I know when I delete it and go to the store to re-download, it has a cloud icon thing instead of an install button, but I am not using iCloud at all.

edit: of course, now that I have bitched, it has finally started working on my last attempt. Disregard, I suppose.

The cloud thing is yet one more part of what Apple's branded as iCloud. It merely indicates that you've purchased the app and will not be charged to download it to your device. Awful doesn't use any part of iCloud, if you were curious, though I do have some feature ideas that would.

The only thing Awful stores across installs is Instapaper login info (it goes in the keychain, which I think doesn't necessarily disappear when deleting an application). However I have a hard time connecting that to your problem. Awful could absolutely do a better job handling errors, when logging in and in general, so I'll put you down as a +1 for that.

theadder posted:

I posted this brilliant thread in yospos:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626109&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The app crashed immediately but posted the thread successfully.

Is this a new posting quality detector?

You weren't using the Macinyos theme were you?

power crystals posted:

:words:

I hope some part of that babbling is helpful in fixing this!

Also, is there a reason the ability to hide the forum/bookmark list was removed from ipad landscape mode? I almost never use portrait and liked being able to hide it.

It was indeed helpful, thank you. I'm working on changing the posts screen a bit and I think it will solve this problem, so hold tight.

That ability still exists! If it does not work for you, that is a bug. There should be a setting to hide the sidebar in landscape.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

You weren't using the Macinyos theme were you?

Nope. Green yospos.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

The security fuckup megathread in yospos now crashes my app every time I try to open it. I'll try removing some people from my ignore list later today to see if that helps.

Ok, removing everyone from my ignore list (there was 1 post in there on my ignore list) makes the thread load again.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Ok, removing everyone from my ignore list (there was 1 post in there on my ignore list) makes the thread load again.

Probably worth pushing out a quick bugfix release, for this and the various other issues fixed so far. Thanks for poking at it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

pokeyman posted:

That ability still exists! If it does not work for you, that is a bug. There should be a setting to hide the sidebar in landscape.

That's what I get for never looking in the settings tab. Thanks!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I am also having the crash on ignored user posted in thread issue, for the record. (iOS 7.0.whatever it was before 7.1, and latest Awful.)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
An absolute minor request, but in the sidebar I think it would be nice to click on your name and be taken to your profile (if nothing else to see your probation length and whatnot).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oddly enough the new beta we have does just that.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Any way we can get the missing waffle images workaround thrown into the app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Any way we can get the missing waffle images workaround thrown into the app?

What's the workaround again?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My log in issue could have potentially been user error anyway. I was copy pasting the password from a computer across splashtop at first, and the point at which it began working was when I typed it out manually instead. Maybe it intentionally does not like pasting passes, maybe I copied a space somehow, or maybe splashtop mangled it, I don't know.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

My log in issue could have potentially been user error anyway. I was copy pasting the password from a computer across splashtop at first, and the point at which it began working was when I typed it out manually instead. Maybe it intentionally does not like pasting passes, maybe I copied a space somehow, or maybe splashtop mangled it, I don't know.

That makes me feel better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Found another silly autoclose bug, but I don't have my laptop on this trip so I won't be able to do anything about it until Monday.

(If you have a parametrized opener like "[quote=" then the button activates as soon as you enter the "=", before the tag is actually finished with the "]".)

I need to get things sorted so I can run my builds on my devices, so I can find these things before release, sorry. :ssh:

Also, just had a bookmark duplicate, stayed like that until I killed the app. Minor, but thought I'd mention it. It was a thread I had recently posted in, which probably doesn't matter.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 18, 2014

• Locked thread