Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I received a really weird voicemail from my local lodge this morning. It sounded like goats bleating and some really weird satanic chanting that when I played backwards said to give them a call for information about what time I need to be at the lodge Monday for my three degrees meeting.

Looks like I made it in!

E: "illuminati" by fat boy slim suddenly started playing on Pandora immediately after I hit reply :tinfoil:

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

I received a really weird voicemail from my local lodge this morning. It sounded like goats bleating and some really weird satanic chanting that when I played backwards said to give them a call for information about what time I need to be at the lodge Monday for my three degrees meeting.

Looks like I made it in!

E: "illuminati" by fat boy slim suddenly started playing on Pandora immediately after I hit reply :tinfoil:

So you're joining up and haven't received your degrees yet? Good luck if that's the case! (if I'm misreading this just ignore this post)

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SylvainMustach posted:

So you're joining up and haven't received your degrees yet? Good luck if that's the case! (if I'm misreading this just ignore this post)

I guess my petition was accepted and voted on Thursday. I am to appear at the lodge Monday at 6 to "brief on what's going to happen Tuesday".

What happens tuesday?

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
They want to make sure the goat has your scent so it's more comfortable around you

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Recent legislation requires us to measure you for protective purposes. You'll know why when the time comes.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am way more anxious/anticipating this than I thought I would be.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

I am way more anxious/anticipating this than I thought I would be.

My advice to you is don't try to remember everything that's going on during your initiation, just pay attention to how it feels. You'll have to learn about what you went through but you'll only go through the rituals once

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Isn't preliminary anxiety a big part of initiation ceremonies? You're supposed to be entering a nextsstage in life, which means the old stage will be apprehensive.

And a pushy

Are there creeds the masons outright ban? Shouldn't Thelema and Pentecostal practitioners be shot on sight?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Colton posted:

My advice to you is don't try to remember everything that's going on during your initiation, just pay attention to how it feels. You'll have to learn about what you went through but you'll only go through the rituals once

Seriously. I know we're messing with you and all, but just try to enjoy it and pay attention. Like Colton said, you'll be there for plenty of rituals, but you only get to go through them once. Just pay attention and enjoy yourself. Think of it this way: there will be a lot of brethren in that lodge building, and that night, they're all there for you. Respect that, and have fun.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

Are there creeds the masons outright ban? Shouldn't Thelema and Pentecostal practitioners be shot on sight?
Varies by location how strict or vague the religious requirement is. As an example, some jurisdictions requires just simply a belief in a deity that rewards good and punishes evil, yet Masonry is also arguably known for accepting deists.

In practice you can certainly can find Thelemic or Pentacostal Masons. In terms of Thelema it is worth noting that Crowley himself had went through the degrees in Mexico and considered himself a Mason (he didn't discover the lodge was irregular until presenting himself at a regular lodge). Lon Milo DuQuette is a very well known regular Mason and one of the most authoritative Thelemites currently living.

On the other hand (as I've earlier stated in this thread) I personally don't find membership particularly in the OTO compatible with Masonry, and I would personally would most likely black cube someone I knew to be a member.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I thought Pentecostals would excluded because or their charismatic and sola scriptura tendencies, and that thelema wouldn't work because of its dark tendencies.

A lot of the symbolism that the masses think is evil freemasonary is actually thelema.

Do free masons even care that the herd thinks they're evil? Distrust of the intelligentsia is one thing, know nothing remnants of the conflict between conservative elements and enlightened fraternities of the bourgeoisie is another.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Sithsaber posted:

I thought Pentecostals would excluded because or their charismatic and sola scriptura tendencies, and that thelema wouldn't work because of its dark tendencies.

Thelema was discussed recently, and evidently you're unclear on the whole egalitarianism thing, we really don't exclude on any religious grounds, Thelema being an exception for some brethren because of its specific tenets.

quote:

A lot of the symbolism that the masses think is evil freemasonary is actually thelema.

Freemasonry predates Thelema by several hundred years even conservatively, and OTO's first three degrees were originally literally the Masonic degrees until Crowley changed them after UGLE asked him nicely.

Incidentally, as mentioned, Crowley was a Mason, though he was irregular. My understanding is that he was active in Lodges in India before he found out he was irregular, which he didn't discover until returning to England and trying to get into UGLE.

quote:

Do free masons even care that the herd thinks they're evil? Distrust of the intelligentsia is one thing, know nothing remnants of the conflict between conservative elements and enlightened fraternities of the bourgeoisie is another.

:what:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
You're presupposing a point of view that doesn't apply to the vast majority of Freemasons.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A view also held by most non-brothers who aren't raging assholes.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sithsaber I just wanted to chime in that you seem like you're trying way, way too hard. It's a fraternal organization with some Enlightenment Era-ish philosophy and its own mythology attached. We don't sit around twirling our mustaches.

Well, maybe some do, but not evilly.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Pentecostals tend to have a enthused attitude toward the holy spirit, and generally view religion as something experienced rather than learned. They also tend to emphasize a return to the apostolic church, and the "just Jesus" ideals that entails. This can get markedly anti intellectual and literalist in the working class/ immigrant communities they cater to.

Free masonry was also at times "reactionary" during the cold war, especially in places like Italy. I'm sure they didn't eat the poor, but a history of supporting the redistribution of wealth seems unlikely.

Half of the reason why the REC hated you was because of your success rallying the bourgeoisie during the age of nationalism. (And the great and holy American revolution)

Ps. I was talking about the whore of Babylon.

WAIT, YOU WORSHIP THE WHORE?!!!

::)

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 14, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I can't tell if you're a ratfuck insane conspiracy theorist or just someone who thinks they know far more than they do.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I can't tell if you're a ratfuck insane conspiracy theorist or just someone who thinks they know far more than they do.

Must they be exclusive?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Actually on second thought the former pretty much by definition includes the latter.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Some people can't sense sarcasm. (The whore of Babylon thelema bit)
Back on point, are you denying the sociopolitical influences and historical draw of free masonry? I'd think that's settled social theory/ straight up history by now.

Ps. Hail George Washington, Lord of the cherry tree.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sithsaber posted:

Some people can't sense sarcasm. (The whore of Babylon thelema bit)
Back on point, are you denying the sociopolitical influences and historical draw of free masonry? I'd think that's settled social theory/ straight up history by now.

Ps. Hail George Washington, Lord of the cherry tree.

The point is that any extant sociopolitical component of Freemasonry is at best secondary to its modern function, serving only as an example of its long and storied past. It serves no bearing whatsoever on the decisions of initiation, and should not.

Any brother who is interested in it would be encouraged to study it and even write about it, but we don't go around thinking about class structure and political philosophies when some guy petitions the lodge. Thelemic practice might come up (if known) because you could argue its religious components are incompatible with Masonic principles.

If you are interested in joining and these are concerns of yours, I'd encourage you to discuss them with your investigation committee. If you're just trolling this thread, then that's cool too, I guess.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I'm young and have none to vouch for me.

Ps. I get that, but have always hoped there is more to this than a mystic moose lodge.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Ps. I get that, but have always hoped there is more to this than a mystic moose lodge.

Then straight up ask us instead of getting all "weird-woo-look at me I watched a history channel special on aliens" and we'll tell you that it's pretty much a barely-mystic moose lodge.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sithsaber posted:

I'm young and have none to vouch for me.

There's more to the philosophy that you might want to look into if you join, but there's no scheming to be done. If you have no one to vouch for you, that's fine! That's why we have investigation committees. You go and petition your local lodge, and they'll have some dudes sit down and talk to you. It's easy!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Then straight up ask us instead of getting all "weird-woo-look at me I watched a history channel special on aliens" and we'll tell you that it's pretty much a barely-mystic moose lodge.

Ta hell are you talking about? Where havI done this?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Sithsaber posted:

Ta hell are you talking about? Where havI done this?

Every post you've made in this thread has been bordering on: :tinfoil:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Every post you've made in this thread has been bordering on: :tinfoil:

How so? EverythinI've posted is either based in history or has been satirical.

Ps. I meant the thelema symbols like their actual logo (icon) and the great whore bits. That poo poo ain't free masonry....right?

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 16, 2014

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm now an earned apprentice.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm now an earned apprentice.

I'm pretty sure you're an Entered Apprentice, and congratulations!

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Snowy posted:

I'm pretty sure you're an Entered Apprentice, and congratulations!

Cut me some slack man that took almost 4 hours and I'm exhausted okay

Jesus I never knew goats could run that fast

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Sithsaber posted:

How so? EverythinI've posted is either based in history or has been satirical.

Ps. I meant the thelema symbols like their actual logo (icon) and the great whore bits. That poo poo ain't free masonry....right?

99% of us in this thread aren't familiar with 'the thelema symbols' because we aren't followers of Thelema or members of the OTO. We are freemasons, and not all of us are even esoteric or occult inclined freemasons.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Im immensely happy about what happened tonight.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Cut me some slack man that took almost 4 hours and I'm exhausted okay

Jesus I never knew goats could run that fast

Ah, I remember when the goat RUNNING was the problem.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Welcome, brother. Now you just absorb everything you can. Ask lots of questions. And enjoy it. You're a Freemason for life now, you don't need to rush through the degrees.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Colton posted:

Welcome, brother. Now you just absorb everything you can. Ask lots of questions. And enjoy it. You're a Freemason for life now, you don't need to rush through the degrees.

My mentor asked if I had any questions after the ceremony but I have so many it was almost impossible to get an answer besides "in due time" lol. Thank you brother!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

My mentor asked if I had any questions after the ceremony but I have so many it was almost impossible to get an answer besides "in due time" lol. Thank you brother!

Welcome to the Craft, brother!

I'm always reachable by PM if you have any questions that need to be a bit more "tyled".

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Congrats, Brother!

Go play some Goat Simulator to prep for the examination for the FC degree.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Welcome to the Craft, brother!

I'm always reachable by PM if you have any questions that need to be a bit more "tyled".

Jumping on this. I'm a newer brother and not as accomplished as QPZIL, but I'd be happy to talk as well.

In my own little bit of humblebrag, the MM lecture is way easier to learn than the FC one, in my opinion. I feel like I'm flying through this one, thanks to the familiarity of its topic and the way it's structured.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

I know it's been said, but again, congratulations.

As for me, tomorrow is my first night as Thrice Illustrious Master of my cryptic council. We'll be conferring the Select Master Mason degree. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

SylvainMustach posted:

I know it's been said, but again, congratulations.

As for me, tomorrow is my first night as Thrice Illustrious Master of my cryptic council. We'll be conferring the Select Master Mason degree. Wish me luck.

Best of luck! I was PCW at my Cryptic Council until a little while ago, where work intervened. Such a shame that over here in Scotland, these degrees are so seldomly taken.