Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Serene Dragon posted:

So this appeared on my facebook today.

Is there a version of this for every drat country? I'm sure we've seen Canadian and American versions of this in this topic. Also lol at the elderly not getting medicines when we have the NHS and old people get free prescriptions.

I don't know of any phone line I've ever called in the UK that had me press a button for English. Just the same as here in the Netherlands I need to struggle through the tinny, often unclear Dutch language menus with no "press # for English".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I was directed at this by a friend of a friend, where Anna Lytics first of all posts about how shocked he is that people won't pay him on their products, then defends his own 'professional' theatre company which pays profit-share, which is theatre-world code for 'nothing':

The lack of cognitive dissonance blows my mind.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Just to go through this one step at a time:

1: What number exactly is this person calling where he has to "dial 1 for English?" Unless it's a number for a Welsh or Highland thing I'm fairly sure you don't even get the option of another language unless you request an actual interpreter.

2: I do agree with this but for different reasons than "see, because I mentioned it means I care :smug:"

3: Actually I think they got plenty of medicine! We have this wonderful thing called the NHS but, considering this says "Britain" you'd expect them to know. Elderly care, on the other hand...

4: Again, they get the treatment they need over here but the benefits side has taken a hit thanks to the git who is in charge of the money! :argh:

5: I don't know much about this.

6: I'm sure our animal doctors would love to have more benefits, unless you mean veterans then they probably get stuff, again I'm not sure.

As has been said, this is basically that America version but with a very quick Find/Replace. Surely it would be easy to invent some poo poo just by throwing some Daily Mail poo poo and it would be just as snarky and smug.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

SybilVimes posted:

Given that we don't call our veterans 'vets' because that refers to veterinarians 99.9999% of the time, pretty much proves it's just a word swap from the US version.

I think veterinarians should get the benefits they're entitled to as well :colbert:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MyFaceBeHi posted:

1: What number exactly is this person calling where he has to "dial 1 for English?" Unless it's a number for a Welsh or Highland thing I'm fairly sure you don't even get the option of another language unless you request an actual interpreter.

Most of the government/council lines around here have options for hindi & urdu and what not, but it's usually only if you stay with the automated portions of the system.

I imagine other areas with large immigrant populations are similar. But the only people that get upset by it are the racists.

quote:

4: Again, they get the treatment they need over here but the benefits side has taken a hit thanks to the git who is in charge of the money! :argh:

We really don't, the NHS has an attrocious record on mental health issues, and unless you have something that is very easy to give basic treatment you're pretty much patted on the back and told to 'mind how you go...'. e.g, I approached the mental health dept here last year because I attempted suicide and felt that 'enough is enough' of trying to manage. They assessed me and bounced me around between the two different mental health depts (community and primary care) for 2 months then somehow I'd said the magic words of being a bit upset about my social anxiety - which they have easy to deal with exposure therapy - so I got thrown at that for a few months. Unfortunately, it wasn't really helping me, and was just offering nothing versus my own 'do what I can' approach, so I told them that and got discharged ('but I still have suicidal thoughts...' 'well, try not to do anything silly then, see ya!' :smithicide:).

This is an NHS trust that weeks before my approach to them, had been in national newspapers because their mental health dept had visited someone, saw a noose and said stuff to the effect of 'that's nice, at least you're doing stuff around the house', and left him on his own where he killed himself. Its nice to see they've improved...

This isn't 'adequate treatment', but it's 'better than nothing, just'.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Just to go through this one step at a time:

The way this is written it looks like it was originally from the US, then changed to fit other countries. Some people here get so pissed about having to press 1 for English. They get even more pissed when you point out the US doesn't even have an official language.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

SybilVimes posted:

We really don't, the NHS has an attrocious record on mental health issues, and unless you have something that is very easy to give basic treatment you're pretty much patted on the back and told to 'mind how you go...'. e.g, I approached the mental health dept here last year because I attempted suicide and felt that 'enough is enough' of trying to manage. They assessed me and bounced me around between the two different mental health depts (community and primary care) for 2 months then somehow I'd said the magic words of being a bit upset about my social anxiety - which they have easy to deal with exposure therapy - so I got thrown at that for a few months. Unfortunately, it wasn't really helping me, and was just offering nothing versus my own 'do what I can' approach, so I told them that and got discharged ('but I still have suicidal thoughts...' 'well, try not to do anything silly then, see ya!' :smithicide:).

This is an NHS trust that weeks before my approach to them, had been in national newspapers because their mental health dept had visited someone, saw a noose and said stuff to the effect of 'that's nice, at least you're doing stuff around the house', and left him on his own where he killed himself. Its nice to see they've improved...

To be fair I should have known that, considering my my parents went through some fun times trying to get a social worker for my autistic brother which basically boiled down to "it's private now, not our problem anymore!" So now we have to pay for carers (through some funding scheme) to look after him and take him places. I'm still not sure how he will ever cope on his own but that's another thing entirely!

Also, I thought with the government/council things there is a separate number to call for hindi/urdu/whatever. I seem to remember that being the case here for some of the Midlands councils.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
A friend of mine moved to the US five years ago.

:cripes:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"4biddenknowledge" :smuggo:

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

The NHS is indeed atrocious with mental health issues. I was left with crap treatment, disinterested treatment or no treatment for my Borderline Personality Disorder until I moved to the Netherlands, where the treatment was very good...in our old city. Since we moved to a different one it has been just as problematic, unfortunately.

However I will say that the NHS is much better than it is here for general healthcare and I really miss it. People take the NHS hugely for granted.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
Without undermining your experiences, the NHS has been utterly fantastic for my mental healthcare.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Shannonmcn posted:

I think veterinarians should get the benefits they're entitled to as well :colbert:

Hell yeah, they bandage injured puppies for ARE FREEDOMS!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

booshi posted:

The way this is written it looks like it was originally from the US, then changed to fit other countries. Some people here get so pissed about having to press 1 for English. They get even more pissed when you point out the US doesn't even have an official language.

And it's even better when it's the Canadian version because we have two official languages, so yes, we do often choose our language preference on certain phone calls, and somehow some people think it's a horrible big deal! I've never understood why people using different words for things is something to get so offended over. I guess it just boils down to good old-fashioned racism.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Picnic Princess posted:

And it's even better when it's the Canadian version because we have two official languages, so yes, we do often choose our language preference on certain phone calls, and somehow some people think it's a horrible big deal! I've never understood why people using different words for things is something to get so offended over. I guess it just boils down to good old-fashioned racism.

It does sadly. And what, it takes a few seconds to wait for the message?

Honestly I love how people in Montreal handle it in person. A simple "bonjour, hi" and how you respond dictates the rest of the conversation.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

booshi posted:

It does sadly. And what, it takes a few seconds to wait for the message?

Honestly I love how people in Montreal handle it in person. A simple "bonjour, hi" and how you respond dictates the rest of the conversation.

I've worked with a lot of Quebecois though, and for a few of them, it's not just if you speak French, even fluently, it's if you do it in their accent. So, basically, exactly like racist Americans.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I cringed to read this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Could he perhaps mean that it's been 15 years since the first film released?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regalingualius posted:

Could he perhaps mean that it's been 15 years since the first film released?
Like assuming people who talk about boycotting the National Geographic TV station have no idea that there's a magazine, it's much more fun to pretend that people are just that ignorant.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Well, even that's not true. It's been less than 12.5 years.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Its fifteen years old in his head cannon

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

He means Sauron. Sauron is 15 years old in the books. It just doesn't come up very often.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
This steaming pile of horseshit has been making the rounds on my facebook page:
http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/24-people-who-applied-worlds-toughest-job-were-quite-surprise-157028
Video interview tricking employees applying for the "toughest job in the world" which is supposedly being a mom, which requires three degrees, will never allow you to sit down or take a vacation ever ever ever

The STFUParents page is going apeshit.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/24-people-who-applied-worlds-toughest-job-were-quite-surprise-157028
Video interview tricking employees applying for the "toughest job in the world" which is supposedly being a mom, which requires three degrees, will never allow you to sit down or take a vacation ever ever ever

The FULL TIME MUMMIES are eating this poo poo up.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

It might be different in Canada, but most systems in the US don't actually make you press anything if you want to default to English. There's a quick 3-5 second blurb telling you to push 2 if you want Spanish, and then the menu begins in English.

I can't comprehend why this would bother anybody.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TheMadMilkman posted:

It might be different in Canada, but most systems in the US don't actually make you press anything if you want to default to English. There's a quick 3-5 second blurb telling you to push 2 if you want Spanish, and then the menu begins in English.

I'm pretty sure I've seen (listened to?) a few phone systems lately that actually don't even do the blurb at the beginning, but rather have a bit at the end of the options that (I assume) says in Spanish how to access the thing you just heard again but this time in Spanish.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I keep seeing this, and think to myself "none of these people look like they could be crab fishermen/coal miners." :v:

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Makes me think of this great Bill Burr bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Royal W posted:

I keep seeing this, and think to myself "none of these people look like they could be crab fishermen/coal miners." :v:

Coincidentally, this and other dangerous occupations (like truckers, military personnel, and lumberjacks) were brought up regularly in the comments, but that reasoning did not stand up to the shrillness of the ever-suffering martyr, er, mother.

Druggachusettes posted:

Makes me think of this great Bill Burr bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c

Coincidentally, this was posted multiple times in the comments as well. Pretty fitting, but I'm not a mom, so I'm apparently not allowed to have an opinion...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

theironjef posted:

He means Sauron. Sauron is 15 years old in the books. It just doesn't come up very often.

No she's thousands of years old, she just has the appearance of a 15 year old, just like every other character.

Hornibrook Bridge
Feb 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If you live in a right leaning state during this whole Nevada mess I feel your social media pain.

It's nonstop.

Edit: In case you weren't aware - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff

There's bunch of those assholes here on SA yucking it up over in GBS

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

It still boggles my mind that people think rappers who intentionally and overtly say that they're part of the Illuminati would be part of a covert ruling society. It's just another fun way to say that you're the coolest.

It is weird that 2pac had no money, fame or power tho. *rlly makes u think*

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hornibrook Bridge posted:

Holy poo poo that thread is terrible, they're making Bundy out to be some martyr for leftism or something.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Hornibrook Bridge posted:

I'm terrified of jokes as well as people typing in lowercase.

Imgur is social media, right?

Titty Warlord has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Apr 16, 2014

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Titty Warlord posted:

I'm terrified of jokes as well as people typing in lowercase.

whoever made this just told us all we need to know about them

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Titty Warlord posted:

I don't know how to interact with other people, and think that hobbies are a fair substitute for a personality.

It's ok, the internet tells me I'm just an introvert, and that's trendy right now.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
It took me a second to realise that it wasn't mocking a certain type of person and was in fact someone describing themselves.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

"Young Americans for Liberty" post about "If you think we'll be safe when Obama's out of office you should THINK AGAIN" with an image of Obama and the Clintons popped up on my feed from a classmate. gently caress off.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I think the people originally bitching are old people who can't figure out how to work the touch dial menu. They're the same people who can't figure out how to do self checkout and regularly write checks at the grocery store, but wait to begin writing it until after they've been given the total a couple of times.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The 3 degrees thing is the part that gets me. That's loving retarded.

Also, this woman should have married someone capable of doing their own laundry.

I think being a parent sounds loving miserable because it consumes so much time and energy. But I hate seeing people who are under the impression that only mothers deal with the difficult parts of raising children.

Because, you know, all a father does is go to work, come home, put on his smoking jacket and slippers, then he goes into the lounge and drinks his bourbon. He then goes to bed (in a twin bed of course, cause a husband and wife can't share a bed). The single father is a myth, as is cooperative parenting. Also, two men never have kids and you can't be a real mom if you didn't actually give birth to the child. :colbert:

It also takes a culinary degree to make peanut butter and jelly.

Bored has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Eponine posted:

I've worked with a lot of Quebecois though, and for a few of them, it's not just if you speak French, even fluently, it's if you do it in their accent. So, basically, exactly like racist Americans.

I vaguely remember reading many years ago a suggestion that American tourists wear a flag pin or some indicator in Montreal because you'd be less likely to be treated like an rear end in a top hat if you didn't speak French.

• Locked thread