Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

More to come from the mothership, they've got one of those CYOAs up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Naturally, the only playable one in that cycle is the blue one. ~balance~

e: Okay, green one is also playable, if very niche when you could just use a mana dork. Black and red are limited-playable, if barely. White gets shafted once again with a dumb, boring effect, though.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 16, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's the only sheep I can think of that shows up prominently in Greek mythology. I suppose it could tap for Protection for Cyclopses but that's a bridge too far, even for Maro.

The name makes me think more of the golden fleece.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

How is this not a Transmuter?

I am very disappointed in you, Wizards.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ungulateman posted:

I think the green one is also playable if you're playing some kind of enchantments matter deck that wants the ramp. Whether that deck exists I have no idea (probably not).

I dig the disciple, perfect Johnny card.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

ungulateman posted:

They're clearly just constellation enablers for limited, and in that respect the green one looks fine, too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ramos posted:

Are you asking for the deck list that managed to beat her? Because I do that regularly with my Ephara deck.

Sorry, I meant the Karametra list.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ungulateman posted:

We are looking at the same red one, right?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ungulateman posted:

The Green and Blue ones are the best, but they are all conceivably playable in Limited if you're aiming for a Constellation deck. The Red one being a slow lava axe is far from terrible, and the black one is perfectly acceptable. White one is admittedly niche unless you're getting a Constellation trigger.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's a brilliant example of how screwed the color pie is despite Wizard's efforts to unscrew it. White gets useless lifegain, red gets burn (:effort:), green gets ramp (:effort::effort:), black gets graveyard recursion and blue gets card draw. Two/three of these effects are way better than the others, and to top it off, those effects are the aggressively costed ones.

e: I guess a slow, lovely Lava Axe is okay in Limited but I was referring to Standard.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 16, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Ok, completed part of the CYOA, here is a card:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zorak posted:

:stare: That's a card. Note that I'm talking about limited and give exactly zero fucks about whatever monored is doing in standard at literally every moment.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

ROCK ON!

Anyway, the Wizards website is not loading for me. Is anyone else having that problem?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The lag is making this CYOA rather annoying. I do like the mythological references, though. I just chokeholded Cerberus into unconsciousness. :3:

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 16, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ramos posted:

ROCK ON!

Anyway, the Wizards website is not loading for me. Is anyone else having that problem?

Yeah it took 10 minutes to load, and didn't even get half the pictures up. Not even going to attempt the YOA.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Zorak posted:

My new dream is to windmill slam this down with two thaumaturges on field.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ramos posted:

ROCK ON!

The CYOA and everyone alt-f4ing is taxing their servers. Turns out adding a ton of extra pages people are all trying to load at once doesn't help.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Harness By Force is a hell of a stall-breaker.

ungulateman posted:

The lag is making this CYOA rather annoying. I do like the mythological references, though. I just chokeholded Cerberus into unconsciousness. :3:

This lil dude will see standard play.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Pretty sure the Golden Hind is the only other one in the CYOA, I've explored the side paths pretty thoroughly. We'll see what else gets spoiled as the day/night goes on, I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

Harness By Force is a hell of a stall-breaker.

This lil dude will see standard play.

You think so? Scorned Villager didn't really see any play, I think it's because when you have mana dorks playing a two drop mana dork sort of negates playing the t1 mana dork, although I am not entirely sure that's why.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

You think so? Scorned Villager didn't really see any play, I think it's because when you have mana dorks playing a two drop mana dork sort of negates playing the t1 mana dork, although I am not entirely sure that's why.

Also, there's a pretty solid two-drop mana dork that's already been printed in this block.

edit: two of them!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I have a question for you Standard players.
I am legitimately curious why R/G or Jund Monsters doesn't run Kalonian Hydra. I remember that thing being the ultimate beatstick in M14, and the sole creature that cost me the final game of a 16-man M14 draft.

Is it fighting for Xenagod's spot in the curve? Is it that Polukranos comes out a turn sooner, and thats worth more than the ramping/trample?

Just curious is all.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Anyone know how Strive will work with cards like Elite Arcanist and Meletis Charlatan? Seems rather abusable if you can get around paying the extra mana.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Font of Fortunes is pretty good, IMO. It's an early mana investment for control decks that can use the effect later, or gets you two cards when you have more mana later.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
He's a Voyaging Satyr that attacks better, if you're not running Nykthos. Some deck somewhere is going to run it at some point in the next year.

e: It competes with Sylvan Caryatid, Voyaging Satyr and Kiora's Follower (and Zhur-Taa Druid from last block) so it might end up just being crowded out depends what decks are looking for in their ramper-dudes.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 16, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Konstantin posted:

Anyone know how Strive will work with cards like Elite Arcanist and Meletis Charlatan? Seems rather abusable if you can get around paying the extra mana.

Arcanist won't get you around paying additional costs. Charlatan will copy the spell the way its cast, though so if you had him and Thaumaturge you could launch two ships per dude.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Theros has a lot of two-drop mana dorks.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an elf in M15, and Wizards experiments for a bit with having all the acceleration in the format costing 2+ mana.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I am legitimately curious why R/G or Jund Monsters doesn't run Kalonian Hydra. I remember that thing being the ultimate beatstick in M14, and the sole creature that cost me the final game of a 16-man M14 draft.

Is it fighting for Xenagod's spot in the curve? Is it that Polukranos comes out a turn sooner, and thats worth more than the ramping/trample?

Just curious is all.

Kalonian Hydra is pretty much the definition of a bomb in limited that will never do anything in constructed. The problem with it is that it's a 5 mana creature with no resilience to removal that doesn't do anything except attack and block, so the most likely outcome from you playing it is that it eats a hero's downfall or a detention sphere or something. In addition, like you mentioned it costs one more than polukranos, and polukranos also has the advantage that if it's in play for just one turn, it can get you value by killing a creature.

Basically, the rule of thumb in constructed is, if your creature costs 5+, it better give you value if it's removed before your next turn or have resistance to removal, because if it lives you're probably winning anyway.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Just curious is all.

Poluk and Stormbreath are better. Poluk can survive a Mizzium as soon as he comes out, and he comes out a turn earlier and has a very nice monstrous ability. Stormbreath swings as soon as he drops with evasion and protection from white, which is very relevant right now because of chained to the rocks and detention sphere.

Kalonian is slower and not as consistent as the other 2 options.

traslin fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This dude owns. I'm so excited for all of the new cards with Phenax synergies.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Art for the Temple of Malady spoiled too. See what he's trying to do, but I don't think the focal colour point amid all that grey actually stands out properly and it ends up looking very :geno:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Full block limited is going to own it seems. Love all of those Fonts (except the white one of course) for limited, and nice to have yet another mana dork this time with dual utility as a 2/1. Can't wait to draft.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Standard is fun when you have a not poo poo deck.

Coincidentally, mana screwing and losing in top 8 is poo poo.

Opening a foil Thoughtseize, however, isn't. :dance:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Just curious is all.
Personally I think it's one of those cards that can be extremely good every few weeks to catch people by surprise. The main issue is you want to play it in a deck with Polukranos, Courser, etc. to soak up some of the removal before you play it. Mortars is seeing a decent amount of play is also a good reason why not. Hydra is a bit better with Xenagod at the downside of making you take that extra turn to get things online. I really think Jund/RG Monsters would benefit from more of a Polukranos / _____ split than running 3-4 Polukranos. I've seen Deadbridge Goliath get some play recently in these lists and it sometimes suits up a dork to push through a ton of damage in certain match ups.

Zorak posted:

More to come from the mothership, they've got one of those CYOAs up
Disciple is an incredibly slow combo enabler. Disappointed they didn't make her Constellation instead.

The Fonts look interesting. I could see the blue one being run over Divination because of the ability to leave up a little bit of extra mana at times, or keeping a really sketchy hand to get use out of it. Green one feels like it would be ok for some kind of enchantment strategy but there are probably better options for that. Three mana for a tapped basic? Too slow. Black one as a one of in Mono Black as a late game "get pack rat back" plan?

Desperate Stand is a really good combat trick for limited. I don't know if it can replace any combat tricks in RW Heroic Standard decks but it could slide a few into a weaker spot.

Why couldn't the Elk be Tap for GG? Two mana dork with one toughness? Why would you run this over Voyaging Satyr or Caratid or even Manaswift Sliver?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Provided it's not getting hit by enchantment removal the blue font is really cool because it solves the problem of the opening hand Divination on the draw.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

ungulateman posted:

Jeez, a single letter away from being a functional reprint. Wizards! :arghfist::mad:

e: nvm leaf gilder is also a druid

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Korak posted:

Why couldn't the Elk be Tap for GG? Two mana dork with one toughness? Why would you run this over Voyaging Satyr or Caratid or even Manaswift Sliver?

I think it's just for limited consideration. Or your sweet Elk tribal.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Korak posted:

Desperate Stand is a really good combat trick for limited. I don't know if it can replace any combat tricks in RW Heroic Standard decks but it could slide a few into a weaker spot.

It's sorcery speed so it's kind of a lovely trick actually!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Korak posted:

Because being able to get to 5 mana on turn 3 while needed only a single nonland card is pretty absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Art for the Temple of Malady spoiled too. See what he's trying to do, but I don't think the focal colour point amid all that grey actually stands out properly and it ends up looking very :geno:

This is beautiful!

• Locked thread