Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mo_Steel posted:

e2: For that matter just give the guy $2.14 instead of $7.14 and you just get a quarter back and don't have to exchange a $5 bill back and forth, what the gently caress Dilbert. :psyduck:

It's Scott Adams, he is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
For what it's worth (not much as it's two anectdotes in a derail): I was loving terrible at math as a kid. I almost failed the fifth grade because of it.

At some point I was exposed to what I guess is now the 'new' math. As best I can recall, it was in one of the Choose Your Own Adventure books. It was like someone switched a light on in my head. Math suddenly made sense. I went from nearly failing the fifth grade to taking calculus II in college for fun, because I heard the professor was good.

My kid is autistic, and he's obsessed with numbers. I taught him the 'new' math method, because I knew that poo poo with borrowing and carrying never worked for me. He's a first grader who can now step through arbitrarily large addition and subtraction problems in his head and get the right answer. Now granted part of that is that he's a weird kid, but dammit, it's so much more intuitive once you know how to do it.

The first time I saw the complaints about Common Core's approach to math, I looked at the 'omg this homework is so crazy' example and said 'Isn't this how people do math? Do other people still do that borrowing/carrying poo poo?'

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Kids seems to like math a lot more when they find out you can use it to make video games.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Levin doubled down on his support for that rancher in Nevada today. Highlights of Levin's logical superiority over dumb liberal straw men include:

"Last I checked, cows don't eat turtles or vice versa. So there's no threat to the turtles."
"He refused to pay grazing fees... I'm not against the rule of law, but <equivocates for 10 minutes about how the law shouldn't apply here because of a unique snowflake deadbeat rancher>"

He then wrapped it all up into the evil leftist plot to increase living density.

Another, unrelated, golden Mark Levin segment:
"I'm not complaining, but <spends like 3 minutes ranting about his own personal taxes>."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 16, 2014

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It would be pretty loving sad if a situation involving some dude and his illegally grazing cows ended up being the flashpoint for Civil War 2, or even just Waco 2, as these nut-jobs (especially Freep) have been recently advocating for. Leave it to right wing media I guess!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 16, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ErIog posted:

Levin doubled down on his support for that rancher in Nevada today. Highlights of Levin's logical superiority over dumb liberal straw men include:

"Last I checked, cows don't eat turtles or vice versa. So there's no threat to the turtles."

Hehehe, now I'm daydreaming about getting a herd to stampede in his general direction and shouting 'Don't worry, they aren't going to eat you, so there's no threat."

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Hannity was pretty funny today.

April 15th, Tax Day: time to whine.

Sean Hannity posted:

You're better off writing the check. You are smarter than the person that says, "I got a huge refund!" Huge refunds means that you let the Federal Government hold onto your money for the entire year and they made interest that you could have been making.

True enough-ish, but in the next breath:

He'll put a boot in your rear end, it's the American way posted:

I got this accountant guy that does it now. Same thing. Here's all the crap, you deal with it, I'm not dealing with it. And every year they say "well you can take more deductions" I say "don't take them" and they say "why not" and I say "because they're gonna audit me..." I just don't feel like dealing with it. So I basically admit that I'm overpaying. Which by the way, some of you are saying, "Hannity that's dumb in and of itself!" But if you've ever been audited, you know what a hassle it is...And in the day and age of Obama, where the IRS is now used as a weapon to harrass, intimidate, and silence opposition voices in the country, well as an outspoken conservative I'm a target. I've always known I'm a target, so I've always told the guys working on my taxes, don't screw it up! Because there's nothing that the IRS and the government would like more than to put me in handcuffs, perp walk me, and put me in jail.

Airtight!

http://www.hannity.com/article/tax-day/19103

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It seems to me this Bundy dude is lucky he's going against the federal government. If he were sending his cattle to graze on privately owned land in the Nevada desert, he'd probably get one warning about it then have to find a way to dispose of all of his dead-rear end cattle shotgunned in the head.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

It seems to me this Bundy dude is lucky he's going against the federal government. If he were sending his cattle to graze on privately owned land in the Nevada desert, he'd probably get one warning about it then have to find a way to dispose of all of his dead-rear end cattle shotgunned in the head.

And in that case the right-wing media would unanimously find it justifiable because a man's property rights are the most sacred and inviolable rights of all, right next to gun ownership. :clint:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So while I try to find a better job, I'm currently delivering pizzas at a pretty good rate. One of the customers I delivered to on Monday night said that he'd have been able to tip me more if a Republican was in the White House and thought I didn't get what he was saying because I don't know about big oil or some poo poo. I mean, I just share a home state with Dick Cheney is all and my home town is a renter's market for oil field workers. The guy was wearing a fedora, so I would have pegged him as a libertarian if I had to guess what his political views are because I'm an awful human being on the inside. It was still completely out of nowhere.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good work by CNN to report this Breaking News. I'm kind of surprised we were kept in the dark about this story for so long.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It can never be proven, but I suspect most lovely opinions start out as attempts to rationalize being selfish or hateful.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Good work by CNN to report this Breaking News. I'm kind of surprised we were kept in the dark about this story for so long.

You're misunderstanding. The "Breaking" part is "we're talking about something that isn't an airplane".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Somebody should leak to an intern that they found the Titanic while looking for Flight 370 and see if they will run it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

moths posted:

It can never be proven, but I suspect most lovely opinions start out as attempts to rationalize being selfish or hateful.
Anti-life justifies my hatred.

As immature as posting a comic book panel is, I've really been reflecting on Jack Kirby and his presentation of evil for the last couple of years. If you're not familiar, Jack Kirby did two things in his life: 1) Invent superheroes like Captain America and the Fantastic Four and 2) Hate Nazis.

When he came to DC comics later in life, he started a weird run of multiple comics collectively called Fourth World with a villain, Darkseid who was obsessed with anti-life, but anti-life wasn't death. To Kirby, to someone who truly hated Nazis, the opposite of life was the elimination of free will, for everyone's existence to just be the extension of one person. To Kirby, the ultimate villain was someone who saw anything outside of his own wants, needs, and worldview as an abomination that needed to be ironed out. And man, if there's anything in the crazy world of comics that can be easily applied to real life, it's that.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 16, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Star Man posted:

One of the customers I delivered to on Monday night said that he'd have been able to tip me more if a Republican was in the White House

Would have been able to, but still wouldn't have. In a better economy it would be even more your fault for having a Bad Job.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Totally forgot my most favorite part of Limbaugh's program yesterday

quote:

RUSH: I wasn't gonna do it, but since I've brought it up this way, grab sound bite number one. I don't have the transcript in front of me. I guess this was on Comedy Central; is that right? Some comedian named Lewis Black, is there a comedian named Lewis Black? There is? Okay. Well, he was on Comedy Central last night. (interruption) It was the National Press Club? I can't read the sound bite roster. I need a microscope for it. So anyway, he was at the National Press Club, this Lewis Black guy and he's being interviewed by this press club person, asked about me not jumping and doing handstands over Colbert getting the Letterman show, and this is what the sound bite sounds like.

BLACK: That's the kind of sentence that's stroke inducing. I go through that paragraph and about halfway through my -- there's like a slight twitch of the eye and I can feel a blood vessel beginning to pump too much. What could he possibly -- he's an idiot. He really is just a mean-spirited (bleep). Here's how big an insult it's gonna be on American values. Stephen Col, Col, Colbert, uh, is, Stephen Colbert has five, I think, five children, happily married, has this great family, was still hanging in when the Catholic Church, when people were fleeing en masse. What are you talking about? He doesn't know (bleep).

RUSH: I think he called me the P-word! The PR-word. He called me the male anatomy, the word. It's a badge of honor here, folks. Look, here's the thing. This is what they always do. Ignore the body of work and talk about the symbolism. We're supposed to ignore what Colbert did and does every night. We're supposed to ignore the act and who he skewers and who he makes fun of. And we're supposed to look, "Oh, Catholic." Really? Not a very good one, maybe. Don't know. Family man? Right. Well, where is that represented in the body of work? It's a little bit of a conflict here.

This is what the left always does. It's like that Washingtonian article on the Carneys. You know, here's the left telling you that single parenthood is valorous. Single parenthood is the answer, it's the future, it's the way this country is transforming. Single parenthood is not to be condemned. You can't go back to the fifties. You can't be Ozzie and Harriet anymore. It isn't possible. You can't be old-fashioned in the modern age. And yet the Carneys are Leave It To Beaver. The Carneys are Ozzie and Harriet.

Claire Shipman works when she wants to. She earns much less than her husband, and it's perfectly fine. She brags about the flexibility she has to be able to stay home with her children. They don't get farmed out to day care. She fixes breakfast with 'em. She fixes food. She fixes the husband breakfast and lunch. It's just a beautiful family. But that's not the kind of family you can have. If you want something like that, you're old-fashioned and a bigot and whatever it is.

So the symbolism that they always focus to, or always ask us to notice, it's the same thing as, essentially take a look at all their social programs and don't examine the results. You're supposed to judge the intentions, and the intentions of all those people behind the War on Poverty are good, and the intentions behind all those people on the Great Society are good. We really intended to do good things. So don't examine that they're abysmal failures. Don't examine the results, 'cause the results don't matter. Our big hearts, our intentions are what matter. In other words, it's the symbolism over the substance that always matter.

Anyway, they're really, really mad, is the key. I'm just a guy on the radio having fun, laughing and yuking it up here, and they are really ticked off that I don't think Colbert's a God, and I don't even care. Snerdley asked me in an offhand moment and I answered in two minutes what I thought of it off the top of my head. I don't even care. I haven't watched Letterman in 10 years. I'm not gonna watch it. I just don't do it anymore. It's Drive-By Media mainstream media. I know what I'm gonna get. Why flog myself? Why watch that stuff and be punished? It's not my idea of a good time. But the fact that I don't conform makes them really mad. And now somehow I am responsible for the theory that Hillary faked the shoe.

They're really mad, folks. From my standpoint they're winning a lot. They ought to be happy. They just got the Mozilla guy run out of town. They're now trying to get Condoleezza Rice run out of Dropbox. One reason they're mad, they haven't gotten me. They've mailed miserably as that, but they're gonna keep trying. But they're never happy. They're constantly angry and enraged, and all you have to do to make 'em really literally enraged is simply say something that goes against their grain of convention wisdom. It's not really hard to do.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Before this gets out of hand -- it maybe already is -- this Colbert thing, the first thing, my comments about that actually are aimed at CBS, they're the hiring agent here, and that's who I was really talking about, what their decision mean. Colbert's who he is, but I'm gonna tell you something, folks. Nancy Pelosi is a devout Catholic, too.

What does that mean? She just got the Margaret Sanger Award from Planned Parenthood, which is an abortion organization, and she's a devout Catholic, so what does it matter? Dick Durbin is a devout Catholic and a -- and a priest says we're not gonna give him communion anymore, because he's not. All these leftists, they fall back on their devout Catholicism but it doesn't in between anything. They use it as cover, they use it as symbolic, symbolism cover.

If Colbert's a devout Catholic, has five kids, I suppose that he must believe in traditional marriage, right? And if he does, then he's a hateful bigot, according to the current definitions of the left.
The way I was asked the question, what do you think of the -- of the decision, and I -- definition change of comedy, what's funny, what isn't. And I think it's a political hire by CBS. There's no question in my mind that it is. But I don't know Colbert. I have no dog in this fight. I don't care. I don't watch those shows anymore, so it's -- pop culture is what it is. It's not a surprising move in any way, shape, manner, or form. Now, as far as the Clintons staging things, let's have a retrospective.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Look at the apparent importance everybody is attaching to the choice of Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman. Why is that so important to the left, hmm? It's so important because of the political ramifications. Make no mistake about it. Everything the left does is oriented around something political, usually their agenda. Why does it matter that I have not fallen in line and am universally slapping everybody's back saying, "Hey, man, what a great hire." Why is that so important? Why does it matter? Why is it a news story that somebody on my show or even I might think that Mrs. Clinton staged the shoe thing?

Why is it so important what I think the Colbert hire means? And the right way to ask the question is, why is the media and everybody placing such importance on the Colbert hire? And you know the answer. It's because it represents a continuation of the dominance of the left of pop culture. The actions speak for themselves. The reaction they have to somebody who doesn't conform also speaks for itself, because in the big scheme of things what I think about either of these things is irrelevant, isn't it?

Forget about me supposedly being the voice of the opposition and all that. I know they need clicks on their website for ads and my name gets clicks, I understand all that, but in the genuine substance, look at the importance they place, look at the anger that such importance generates when somebody doesn't conform.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/15/why_is_it_so_important_what_i_think_of_cbs_political_hire_of_colbert
Calling Limbaugh a prick is something I wish I could do on television every day :allears:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

moths posted:

Common core is loving weird! posts always show the homework work out of context. The context is literally a class that explains that homework.

That image, if it's even legit, is likely meant to help kids conceptualize numbers and what they actually mean. There one a while back with rows and columns of circles to illustrate multiplication operations - and FB parents were flipping their poo poo because CIRCLES AREN'T MATH.
It's long been a really alien thing to me that people will look at something like that and rather than taking a moment to ask how it works and what benefits it's supposed to have they pretty much go "WHARGARBL NEW BAD!!!!" without any actual information.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

skaboomizzy posted:

Just so I'm on the correct page here:

Guy trespasses on federal land for over a decade and threatens to mass murder the federal agents when they start actually enforcing the law they wrote him up for years ago?

How is this guy not getting his door kicked in at 4 am?

Mercury_Storm posted:

It would be pretty loving sad if a situation involving some dude and his illegally grazing cows ended up being the flashpoint for Civil War 2, or even just Waco 2, as these nut-jobs (especially Freep) have been recently advocating for. Leave it to right wing media I guess!

Putting Waco on a pedestal has always been weird to me. The gubment came down hard on a racist suicide cult? Good for them I guess?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Just so I'm on the correct page here:

Guy trespasses on federal land for over a decade and threatens to mass murder the federal agents when they start actually enforcing the law they wrote him up for years ago?

Putting Waco on a pedestal has always been weird to me. The gubment came down hard on a racist suicide cult? Good for them I guess?

Yeah I'm not rooting for this guy to get put down by the feds. However it's a little weird that he seems to have gotten away with a lot more than say a family that was suspected of having drugs and their kid gets killed or a family that had their house burned down for no real reason. In my ideal world no one would get killed by the police but it's weird that in ours where cops seem to love SWAT teaming it up and then killing a bunch of people "accidentally" that this guy has been so hands off. I guess that has something to do with how high profile this is and that he's actually threatening to defend himself instead of just being got off guard and murdered.

http://boingboing.net/2007/09/10/phoenix-police-burn.html

If they resolve this whole thing without bloodshed that's awesome, but I wish they could extend that to regular people that aren't threatening federal agents as well.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 16, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

He'll get got eventally, don't worry. Too many goons getting sad that the idiots 'won' or whatever. Personally I prefer when the cops don't start firefights over trivial matters. When all of his idiot buddies go home he'll get a warrant served.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It looks bad to do that to white people, especially ones that are a cause célèbre for the right wing. Also, the land dispute's been going on for like 15-20 years, there's no rush. All the assholes have their party, have a few beers, talk about how awesome it was that they stared the gummint down, and go home, then they pick the dude up quietly next time he goes to the feed lot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Waco response was needlessly disastrous and lots of kids died in fire. The answer to a delicate situation isn't to surround it with tanks and wait to see what develops, which is a lesson I'm glad to see somebody learned.

If that rancher blows his own brains out, he'll be a nutjob saint forever. Nobody in that movement would believe anything but conspiracy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ratoslov posted:

It looks bad to do that to white people, especially ones that are a cause célèbre for the right wing. Also, the land dispute's been going on for like 15-20 years, there's no rush. All the assholes have their party, have a few beers, talk about how awesome it was that they stared the gummint down, and go home, then they pick the dude up quietly next time he goes to the feed lot.

While minorities obviously face much more police oppession than whites, cops are perfectly willing to bust down their doors as well and get off relatively free.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/258371

I don't think his race really has much to do with it. I think that if he wasn't armed up with his crazy friends with the expressed intent of defense this would have escalated much earlier. Cops only like to do their daring, ultra-violent raids on people that aren't really going to end up fighting back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'll take this to an "American Education" thread if there is one, but here's what we were sent and what's freaking out my right-leaning in laws. Sorry it's rotated (how do I fix that?).

Looking at it now, I think I see what they're doing here and simply trying to split the two boxes into numbers that add up to ten and then use the leftover number to add to that. So for the top right one (6+6), you just put 4 and 2 in the boxes, then add (6+4)=10 (+2) =12. I don't know if it's good or bad so much as a different way to approach math beyond rote memorization.

Apparently, it's got the whole family in a tizzy so I just want to be prepared for when I go up there and also because I have a three year old and can probably expect this soon.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Hell, that's what I do in my head a good chunk of the time when I'm trying to add up a group of numbers swiftly. It's especially helpful when adding up scores when playing dominoes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's about exactly how I do math in my head. (Only sideways.)

I think race is factoring heavily in the other situation. If the militia dudes were Muslim or Hispanic, the right would be demanding drone strikes.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

What's awesome about Common Core is it's been in place since 2010 and I've only heard widespread bitching about it in the last six months or so, which means some pundit or politician decided it was the new talking point and all of the idiots picked it up and are repeating it when they weren't aware or giving a poo poo for at least 3/4ths of its existence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

moths posted:

That's about exactly how I do math in my head. (Only sideways.)

Maybe that's it. They're mad because the homework is sideways.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kik2dagroin posted:

Totally forgot my most favorite part of Limbaugh's program yesterday

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/15/why_is_it_so_important_what_i_think_of_cbs_political_hire_of_colbert
Calling Limbaugh a prick is something I wish I could do on television every day :allears:

"Colbert is not a devout Catholic because he doesn't support ~traditional marriage~. I know this because I, Rush Limbaugh, am also not a devout Catholic but rather a devout Methodist addicted to pain killers who goes on sex tourism trips to the Dominican Republic."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing I like about these math problems is that they move away from algorithms as the only way to solve a problem.

Mathematics is an incredibly creative discipline, but most people never even get a taste of that unless they discover it on their own.

You're taking an addition problem that in the "old fashion" way only has one correct answer, calculated through one correct algorithm, and then you say "Here are some simple (but powerful) mathematical techniques, have fun!"

It may seem like overkill but if you make it to calculus, you'd better be ready for some freedom because instead of handy algorithms you just have dozens of techniques and you have to figure out how to manipulate the problem into something easy to solve.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Notorious QIG posted:

"Colbert is not a devout Catholic because he doesn't support ~traditional marriage~. I know this because I, Rush Limbaugh, am also not a devout Catholic but rather a devout Methodist addicted to pain killers who goes on sex tourism trips to the Dominican Republic."
Don't forget he's been divorced a couple of times! That's one thing that gets me about Limbaugh. He doesn't really do anything to give credibility to his religiosity outside of raging against gay marriage and being all "America was founded as a Christian country :byodood:" At least Huckabee goes to church every Sunday like any good ol' southern boy. I'd imagine outside of Limbaugh's radio persona he really doesn't give a gently caress about religion at all which is why he parrots the minimal amount possible to keep in the good graces of his listeners.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think this rancher situation, while being the kind of thing that would normally be passed around in email forwards by Agenda 21 types, blew up the way it did because after six years of being told that Obama is going to slap his Orwellian police state all over hardworking Americans and literally nothing happening, this was as close as they were gonna get. Finally we're not just a bunch of assholes sitting around a cabin in West Virginia cleaning our guns and listening to conservative talk radio all day, we actually get to prove that we're the brave patriots we always thought we were. I mean, you're having it drilled into your head day-in day-out by Fox News/etc that you are right, everyone else is wrong and Obama is really out to get you. And yet most of the people you interact with in a daily basis keep living their life as if nothing is wrong and either dismiss or patronize you when you try to explain the Kenyan usurper's looming threat. How can they not see what's at stake?

Really, I'm faintly surprised that one of them didn't up and fire the first shot by accident, considering the constant erections they must have had by getting to finally wear their camo and point their assault rifles at government agents.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Back when, I felt similarly, but after doing a fair amount of research on it I have to say that the government seriously hosed it up. They were wackos lead by a wacko, but we're not Saudi Arabia, we can countenance an otherwise peaceful group of morons being morons without storming them with tanks as long as our political system is functional. Now there's a whole thing that gets buried about Waco which involves Louis Freeh being a Bush suggested idiot and Janet Reno being incompetent, but that's separate to whether the government was insane. Ruby Ridge was much more clear cut, even though they tried to paint it as the same. Waco was complex.

moths posted:

The Waco response was needlessly disastrous and lots of kids died in fire. The answer to a delicate situation isn't to surround it with tanks and wait to see what develops, which is a lesson I'm glad to see somebody learned.
And launch canisters in that probably ignited the fire that killed most of everyone, which sounded like a conspiracy theory at first until evidence surfaced showing it basically happening.

Joementum posted:

Look, they got a survivor to talk on camera.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
As far as I understand it, Ruby Ridge was literally the government being loving awful and then being loving awful at trying to cover up their being loving awful.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Both Ruby Ridge and Waco were shitstorms of stupidity that got a lot of people needlessly hurt and killed. Yeah, gently caress Randy Weaver and gently caress that nutjob Koresh, but the cops never should've gone after them the way that they did.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Kos replies to a Breitbart writers rebuttal to yesterdays story about the left absolutely owning the culture war:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/04/16/1292470/-11-reasons-conservatives-are-winning-culture-war-Ha-ha-ha?showAll=yes

The actual replies are mostly duh, but that's because the writers original list of 11 reasons Kos was wrong was hilariously bad, I offer some of them here to save anyone from providing Breitbart with hits:

quote:

1. While judges are legalizing gay marriage, Christianity is making a major comeback in the free market of entertainment.

quote:

4. While Colbert wins David Letterman's spot, Jimmy Fallon figured out he had to remain apolitical if he wanted to remain number one.

quote:

5. While the rise of the weak, neurotic, man-child metrosexual-nerd dominates one forgettable movie after another, a new Golden Age in television has brought us an assembly line of flawed but masculine anti-heroes -- "real men" protagonists like Jack Bauer, Don Draper, Walter White, Raylan Givens, Tony Soprano, the cast of The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, and even House of Cards.

quote:

6. While Miley twerks and MTV baby-mamas, unions and the union mentality are dying.

quote:

7. While the left-wing mainstream media figures out how to survive, conservative media is on the upswing.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What does twerking have to do with unions?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

While the rise of the weak, neurotic, man-child metrosexual-nerd dominates one forgettable movie after another, a new Golden Age in television has brought us an assembly line of flawed but masculine anti-heroes -- "real men" protagonists like Jack Bauer, Don Draper, Walter White, Raylan Givens, Tony Soprano, the cast of The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, and even House of Cards.

They're fun to watch on television, but who the gently caress would actually want to be any of these people? Their lives are loving miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Naga Warlord posted:

You're better off writing the check. You are smarter than the person that says, "I got a huge refund!" Huge refunds means that you let the Federal Government hold onto your money for the entire year and they made interest that you could have been making.

My dad tells me to do this poo poo every year. Writing a check is too much hassle though, I'd much rather get a refund. Am I an irresponsible red diaper baby for giving the government an INTEREST FREE LOAN?