Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zurai posted:

The best city defenders in shadow magic were the basic "archers" for the shadow demons' counterpart (forget their race name). They shot an AOE lightning web with a pretty good chance to stun. I've had a single stack of nothing but those defeat 3-4 attacking stacks.

The Syrons! I am sad they're not in this one at all because they're from AoW1 - you'd get them in neutral dwellings as quest rewards sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I think the veterancy bonuses for low tier units could be tweaked to make them a lot more useful in the long run. Because honestly, aren't there myths and legends of a bunch of nobodies taking down dragons or holding an entire city by themselves? Maybe there should be a very hard to reach veterancy level beyond Elite, that makes T1 units up to recruit T3 levels or something like that.

I would love this if only to make the warlord's ultimate spell even more powerful.

I know it's been said, but evolve really is terrible. You should get something amazing that you can't just make in a turn if you manage to keep a hatchling alive long enough.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There's nothing like killing an enemy hero with your newly spawned hero and suddenly finding yourself awash with swag.

DrManiac posted:

I know it's been said, but evolve really is terrible. You should get something amazing that you can't just make in a turn if you manage to keep a hatchling alive long enough.
Have the new unit inherit the evolve trait. Work your way all the way up to a full dragon.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How can I get Anti Aliasing working on this game?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: wrong thread :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DrManiac posted:

I would love this if only to make the warlord's ultimate spell even more powerful.

Evolve is really great on Baby Krackens, Baby Spiders, Baby Serpents and High Elf initiates though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

The funny thing is there ARE defensive city structures.. in dwellings. The dragon dwelling even gets a 'guard tower' that shoots fire and ice every round.

Defensive structures would be a great addition imo. Could make it part of the wall upgrade line. Something like a tower with a bunch of life that you could put ranged units in would be pretty neat and make my poor archers much better able to survive on the defense.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I used to think walls where tough to beat.

Then I had a dedicated siege stack with rock giants, trebuchets, and my teleporting, seeker casting leader :unsmigghh:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

Evolve is really great on Baby Krackens, Baby Spiders, Baby Serpents and High Elf initiates though.

The only unit I have ever had evolved was an Elf Initiate from my starting party. Must have been turn 40ish by that point, completed by Indy stomping. I replaced that Storm Sister with a Manticore Rider soon after.

Maybe if it only took Veteran or level 3 to tier up it'd be cool, but it is just too much an investment otherwise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KirbyKhan posted:

The only unit I have ever had evolved was an Elf Initiate from my starting party. Must have been turn 40ish by that point, completed by Indy stomping. I replaced that Storm Sister with a Manticore Rider soon after.

Maybe if it only took Veteran or level 3 to tier up it'd be cool, but it is just too much an investment otherwise.

I never have tier 4 units by turn 40ish. And besides, I love having parties of Ogres/Trolls/Spiders/Serpents/Warbreeds etc. that I've converted more than cookie cutter armies. And they're all good tier 3/4 units as it is, which makes them fit perfectly even into endgame parties.

Turn off city founding and the game goes a lot smoother. I've had games on Large map, turn 120, where the King/Emperor AIs only had three or four tier fours at most and we were mostly fighting wars of Tier 1/2s and 3s.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Well.. that was.. interesting. I just beat Warlock 2 by just riding the Dracolich I got on like turn 20 by random chance, all the way to the end of the game, picking up two hero buddies, and the free rainbow dragon from the plot, on the way that quickly grew to godlike power along with him, all the way to the end of the game. The dracolich finally died after killing half of the four final bosses that attack at once. I never had to craft any units for the entire game other than a few scout units that died shortly after I got the dracolich from a random goodie hut :psyduck:. That game has like Age of Wonders 1 and 2 level OP buffs - just stack every concievable buff on a powerful unit or hero, nobody will ever dispel them, be an immortal god that takes two damage from the final bosses.

The Dracolich had 35 max hp but curbstomped the much bigger golden dragons with like 150-300 hp just because of the sheer ridiculouslness of stacking resist buffs. I had like -40 gold/turn for the entire game, but the dracolich just curbstomped every single independent camp which gave me hundreds of gold each turn, so I ended up with like 6000 gold anyway, even though I never actually bought any units. I got mana up to like 6000 too but spent like 5000 of it spamming nukes on the final bosses.

Somehow, all of the independents spawned in the middle of my ally's island so she spent the entire game fighting them off while I was almost completely unmolested. The only time I saw serious independents was surrounding the portal to the final world, where there was like 50 red dragons, a couple golden ones, and a shitton of greater earth/fire elementals and phantom spiders, but the dracolich and the archer hero just mowed them all down.

The archer hero's damage was up to about 150 by the end of the game :psyduck:.

Warlock is possibly like.. Master of Magic unbalanced, that was just a completely ridiculous clusterfuck. (I admit it was entertaining though once I got that dracolich :v:.)

Not needing to build any units... I mean, wow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zore posted:

The thing is, you never really spend that much time in the water. I've cleared the sunken cities and then not had a fight in the water since!
Probably part of the reason that humans are so rubbish (since they seem to have Mariner).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm certain humans would be more interesting and stronger if there were some sort of sea-only resource that makes naval combat more interesting and worth your time.

Some sort of deep/shallow sea system where the shallow seas have some interesting resources as well?

You know, I could actually see some potential for an expansion pack here. The Commonwealth discovers a new continent and starts colonizing. Pirates, extra naval maps (like raging storms and so on), resources you can only find at sea! :allears:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I'm certain humans would be more interesting and stronger if there were some sort of sea-only resource that makes naval combat more interesting and worth your time.

Some sort of deep/shallow sea system where the shallow seas have some interesting resources as well?

You know, I could actually see some potential for an expansion pack here. The Commonwealth discovers a new continent and starts colonizing. Pirates, extra naval maps (like raging storms and so on), resources you can only find at sea! :allears:

Let's go get that oil. Shades of Warcraft II, and the beginning of RTS e-sportsssss

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Give humans the unique ability to settle floating cities made up of boats lashed together. Nautilus Pirates, ho!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there a guided tutorial? I can't seem to find anything in game but maybe I'm just dumb.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tomn posted:

Give humans the unique ability to settle floating cities made up of boats lashed together. Nautilus Pirates, ho!

Floating and moving cities made of ships.

Basically I just want The Scar.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man, I'm in love with the Sorcerer summons. Suck on my physical resistance, NPCs.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

Is there a guided tutorial? I can't seem to find anything in game but maybe I'm just dumb.

Not really, the first mission of the Elven Court campaign is about as close as you're going to get.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

Basically I just want The Scar.

Can I summon an Avanc?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Taear posted:

Can I summon an Avanc?

Yep. Tier 4 sorcerer spell, 60 mana per turn upkeep cost.

Maaaan now I just want a Bas-Lag AOW, in full.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do Support units always heal their stack on the overworld? Some racial units don't have heals, and I'm wondering if they have to take Theocrat for regenerating health in that case. Also, does the amount of Support units in a stack affect the heal rate?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
In theory you could build a hospital instead of branching into certain magic schools or classes. Rather limited in utility, but strong enough if you're forced to cycle back high health units.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Do Support units always heal their stack on the overworld? Some racial units don't have heals, and I'm wondering if they have to take Theocrat for regenerating health in that case. Also, does the amount of Support units in a stack affect the heal rate?

Any unit with a healing ability should heal the stack on the world map. If the ability heals a unit for 15hp, then a unit with ability will heal the stack for 15hp each turn on the world map. Blight doctors and such don't have a heal ability, so won't heal the stack. I believe the Theocrat skill that gives all support units healing is bugged though. It gives units the healing ability, but not the stack healing. AFAIK this will be fixed in the next patch tho.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I noticed hospitals and master workshops will heal organic/machine units even if the city is occupied and not being productive. I wish harbors would repair ships or if the city has a master workshop. :(

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Delacroix posted:

I noticed hospitals and master workshops will heal organic/machine units even if the city is occupied and not being productive. I wish harbors would repair ships or if the city has a master workshop. :(

They don't? I'm pretty sure my ships were healing fine on a city with a master workshop. On the tile just next to the central tile?

That said, having harbors heal ships would be fantastic. The need to build master workshops just to heal ships makes investing in a navy even more of a marginal decision than it is.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Master Workshops heal ships.

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?
I know I have mediocre computer (3,2 GHz x2 Phenom II, Radeon 6850, 4 GB RAM) but the game won't work without crazy stuttering even on minimal settings with low resolution. So disappointing. :sigh:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like an earlier building - perhaps just the siege workshop, should allow SOME machine healing, even if it's just the 6hp/turn that a living unit would regenerate, then master's workshop should allow very rapid healing like the hospital.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Well it makes absolutely 0 sense that the building that can create battering rams can't repair them.

EDIT: but yeah for balancing reasons it should probably be the siege workshop, otherwise a dreadnought could repair all of his machines in any city basically.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Tomn posted:

They don't? I'm pretty sure my ships were healing fine on a city with a master workshop. On the tile just next to the central tile?

That said, having harbors heal ships would be fantastic. The need to build master workshops just to heal ships makes investing in a navy even more of a marginal decision than it is.

I didn't know that they healed things adjacent to the city, I thought they had to be on the central hex! :monocle:

Onto another issue, it seems like you can't remove or settle on razed dwellings, although it'd be nice to somehow bring them back, they can have nice sites in their vicinity and the dwelling site gets in the way.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Just had a long drawn out siege against an elf sorc with a ton of ranged units and seeker as an orc with tons of T1 and T2. Awesome loving feeling scanning around the battlefield after a fight and seeing the carnage left behind. I think the 6 stacks of greatsword that got slaughtered in a mass heap make a better sacrifice when I can see their bodies after the fact.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I like the little implications this game inadvertently presents with some of its mechanics:

Cities underground have observatories with telescopes. The zombified archons produce and sell some kind of merchandise. The rogue's courtesans skill effects dragon populations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I like the little implications this game inadvertently presents with some of its mechanics:

Cities underground have observatories with telescopes. The zombified archons produce and sell some kind of merchandise. The rogue's courtesans skill effects dragon populations.

Goblins bathe

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Slashrat posted:

Goblins bathe

Mudbaths. :colbert:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I found this game difficult, then I made a group of my Arch Druid Hero with 5 giants (3rock, 2 fire) I pretty much cleared the rest of the map with just that stack.

Now I have the problem that I am still really bad at this game and can't win unless I take over one of those Giant cities.

Edit: vvvv I tried playing a Human Technocrat and I just keep running into really strong ranged units that take out my infantry before I can do anything. It seems as if Human infantry is worthless. Meanwhile if you have some Giants you can focus down the enemy units while nothing seems to have enough damage output to actually kill one of them. Don't get me started on Rock Giants having an awesome ranged ability while being really good infantry too.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 16, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
What exactly are you struggling with?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm feeling real constrained by the 6 unit limit per stack. It's like I only have enough muscle to pick two from maintaining a line, doing flanking, or providing support, and that's with only the racial T1-2s. It gets a lot messier once you factor in class units, especially Dreadnoughts and their big guns.

And yeah, it makes the T1-2 unit power gap really apparent since that one space could go to a T3-4 unit instead, and the sheer difference in stats means that not doing so is going to gimp the hell out of your army.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 16, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm feeling real constrained by the 6 unit limit per stack. It's like I only have enough muscle to pick two from maintaining a line, doing flanking, or providing support, and that's with only the racial T1-2s. It gets a lot messier once you factor in class units, especially Dreadnoughts and their big guns.

And yeah, it makes the T1-2 unit power gap really apparent since that one space could go to a T3-4 unit instead, and the sheer difference in stats means that not doing so is going to gimp the hell out of your army.

Up to seven stacks can participate in a battle - the stack targeted to be attacked, and the stacks on every tile around it. If you move your stacks in pairs, you will have up to 12 units in a battle if one is attacked. If you move your stacks in triangles, you will have up to 18 units in a battle if one is attacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tahirovic posted:

I found this game difficult, then I made a group of my Arch Druid Hero with 5 giants (3rock, 2 fire) I pretty much cleared the rest of the map with just that stack.

Now I have the problem that I am still really bad at this game and can't win unless I take over one of those Giant cities.

Edit: vvvv I tried playing a Human Technocrat and I just keep running into really strong ranged units that take out my infantry before I can do anything. It seems as if Human infantry is worthless. Meanwhile if you have some Giants you can focus down the enemy units while nothing seems to have enough damage output to actually kill one of them. Don't get me started on Rock Giants having an awesome ranged ability while being really good infantry too.

Not sure if you mean theocrat or dreadnought, but yeah, human infantry is fairly rubbish. In general, basic infantry comes in two flavors: two-handed weapon units that deal extra damage to shields and pikes (orc, human and draconian infantry) and units with shields that survive ranged attacks better (the other races). The former is good when attacking pikemen and shielded infantry, the latter is good for surviving ranged attacks.

Remember to somewhat kite enemy ranged units. Make them run towards you so they only get one shot off at your guarding units, then bumrush them and get into melee.

If you play theocrat, that works well in combination with the two-handers, since crusaders are rock solid infantry to get early on with good HP, defence, shields and they can climb walls. I have taken countless cities by just swarming them and climbing over the walls. Use them to break enemy line of sight with your squishier units as you move closer.

As a dreadnought, you're going to need lots of musketeers to out-gun the enemy. Human dreadnoughts won't really have units to hide their musketeers behind, but a dwarf, for example, can stick them behind some dwarf axemen to protect them.

And yeah, obviously giants are good units. They're T4's. I've lost giants to phoenixes, juggernauts and shrines of smiting, but if you get them early you tear the enemy a new one.

Don't forget to mix races if you can! Some races are naturally better at some things than others (great, I'm sounding like a stormfronter now) so mix and match armies.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 16, 2014

• Locked thread