Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Die Laughing posted:

I'd think movies like Hunger Games with female leads would be what gives a female lead super hero movie any sort of chance.

Like every single success counter to the narrative that female action leads don't sell let me assure you that "That's a fluke" is what Hollywood thinks about Hunger Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Die Laughing posted:

I'd think movies like Hunger Games with female leads would be what gives a female lead super hero movie any sort of chance.

Or within Disney, something like Tangled or Frozen. I would hope that Disney's investors aren't looking at comic books to determine the appeal of a female character to the general public. I don't know if I would use comics as a bellwether for any character actually given the absurdly small readership.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hell, integrate the Slott She-Hulk run and turn Daredevil into a full-on Harvey Birdman pastiche.

"Were you blind from birth, Matt?"

"No, I was hit by radioactive waste, but developed enhanced senses and was trained in martial arts by a blind ninja master named Stick. Ha HA! Stick."

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Are those Netflix shows taking place in the MCU?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

omg chael crash posted:

Are those Netflix shows taking place in the MCU?

I saw an article confirming they are, but I don't have it handy. If I track it down again, I'll edit it in.

EDIT: Googlefu was actually super quick: http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/02/06/marvel-netflix-shows-to-exist-in-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I thought them being in the MCU was evidenced by their Netflix budget and all, but I guess not.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Solaris Knight posted:

I thought them being in the MCU was evidenced by their Netflix budget and all, but I guess not.

I'm not familiar with TV budgets. $200 million for 60 episodes, that's $33 million per 10 episode series. What's that comparable to? I've heard Game of Thrones cost about twice that much, not sure what season.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Average budget is about $3 million an episode today, so they're right about even.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here, have another X-Men trailer. Just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjtg7m1MMM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

So this is gonna be a "getting the team rounded up" flick then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know it'll be answered in the movies, or hell maybe not, but I really have to wonder what is up with Young Charles sometimes being in a wheelchair and sometimes not. Also Young Hank being blue sometimes and sometimes not.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Deadpool posted:

Looks better than the other stuff that's been released so far to me. Maybe it's because there's actually dialogue instead of just a barrage of special effects.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Young Hank can change at will, I think.

Young Professor X seems to have some kind of leg braces in some of the promos released.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I know it'll be answered in the movies, or hell maybe not, but I really have to wonder what is up with Young Charles sometimes being in a wheelchair and sometimes not. Also Young Hank being blue sometimes and sometimes not.

He developed a cure but if he gets to angry he Beasts out.

Not making this up, they turned him into blue hulk.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hell, integrate the Slott She-Hulk run and turn Daredevil into a full-on Harvey Birdman pastiche.

I can actually see Paget Brewster doing solid as both Jen Walters & She-Hulk. I'm down.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Give me a Kate Bishop & Patsy Walker team-up road movie, Marvel.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Captain Marvel is the other big female hero, For third and fourth tier; Other Captain Marvel, Mockingbird, Mantis, Moondragon, Hellcat, Valkyrie and a lot of others. Moondragon and Mantis are dead easy tie-ins with GotG. Mockingbird and both Captain Marvels with the Avengers. Hellcat and Valkyrie with Doctor Strange.

Man, if we can't get another Hellcat mini, we'll never get a Hellcat movie. I'd love it, though.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Sarchasm posted:

Why don't people like Katee Sackhoff? She's a lovely young woman with an acting career that shows she's able to believably kick a man's teeth in.

I thought she was really bad in the first few episodes of BSG, but then for some unexplainable reason she just grew on me and ended up being one of my favourite characters.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Deadpool posted:

For pacing, tone and music I'd say it's the worst trailer but it's actually the first I've seen that doesn't look cheap.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, I like that trailer in general but the pacing is a bit odd.

Hakkesshu posted:

Game of Thrones is one of the most popular shows running, and it has recast several important characters between each season, some more than once! It's way more complicated and harder to follow than any superhero film, and people are fine.

None of the people recast so far in Game of Thrones were even remotely as important as Captain America etc. which people were discussing.

Not that I think it would be a big issue, it worked for James Bond and the Hulk.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Comic sales have nothing to do with it. Marvel has been giving the character so many chances because they believe in the concept. The Inhumans are the only other IP the comic division is trying to sell harder than Captain Marvel.
I thought Marvel kept giving Captain Marvel chances because if they didn't, they'd lose the trademark?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nah. DC calls their guy Shazam now, so they wouldn't even want the name anyways. Speaking of, where is the Shazam movie, DC? You'd think that'd do gangbusters with kids.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TetsuoTW posted:

I thought Marvel kept giving Captain Marvel chances because if they didn't, they'd lose the trademark?

Not totally. Marvel needs to publish a book with the name Captain Marvel in the title which is why they've done reprints and brought back fake Captain Marvels before caving and renaming Carol. DC couldn't publish a book with the title of Captain Marvel so eventually caved and just renamed them to Shazam.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Die Laughing posted:

Nah. DC calls their guy Shazam now, so they wouldn't even want the name anyways. Speaking of, where is the Shazam movie, DC? You'd think that'd do gangbusters with kids.

Waiting for Dwayne Johnson to clear his schedule so he can be Teth Adam.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

For pacing, tone and music I'd say it's the worst trailer but it's actually the first I've seen that doesn't look cheap.

There's a ton of exposition so I'd say it's mostly aimed at explaining what the movie is about to people on the fence or who don't know poo poo about X-men beyond the last movie.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Deadpool posted:

"Video not available in your country".

Well what is the point of that? Why release a trailer that can't be viewed in the second or third largest market for your film?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Sadsack posted:

"Video not available in your country".

Well what is the point of that? Why release a trailer that can't be viewed in the second or third largest market for your film?

I'm assuming that you are British? They've uploaded regional versions, maybe this works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLd1QLkMcM

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

They're probably still skittish after Shaq bombed the role so badly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Electromax posted:

And this is why we will never get a Steel movie again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Maltose posted:

Waiting for Dwayne Johnson to clear his schedule so he can be Teth Adam.

They've been waiting over five years now during which time he's been busy making stellar films like The Tooth Fairy, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island and Hercules so I don't think it's high on his list of priorities.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be honest all three of those movies are probably better than the theoretical Shazam film would be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He fired the agent responsible for the first two and Hercules looks pretty dope.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Sarchasm posted:

Why don't people like Katee Sackhoff? She's a lovely young woman with an acting career that shows she's able to believably kick a man's teeth in.

I think Katee seems like a cool and chill person who'd be fun to hang out with. But she would not be the type of casting coup that Marvels usually lands for their movies, not by a long shot. Her main fanbase is from the Battlestar Galactica remake and that was her playing two emotions; angry and horny. So yeah, don't cast her for something that deserves better like Captain Marvel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Laughing posted:

I'm not sure how invested DC is in Shazam. It seems like Geoff Johns is the only writer who's particularly interested in him, and pre-New 52, Black Adam was a much bigger character while Dan DiDio was talking about how Captain Marvel "doesn't fit in".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I thought she was really bad in the first few episodes of BSG, but then for some unexplainable reason she just grew on me and ended up being one of my favourite characters.

They identified her weaknesses and wrote around them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

They identified her weaknesses and wrote around them.

Her problem was that she was a stardoe not a starbuck.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Electromax posted:

Pretty sure you're referring to kazaam, very different movie.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The scoring of that trailer is as generic as those Empire-cover photoshops.

They really don't care about hyping this, do they. :smith:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kingtheninja posted:

That had to be the joke, I cannot imagine that a person thought that Kazaam was the same as Shazam.

I almost corrected him myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

theflyingorc posted:

That had to be the joke, I cannot imagine that a person thought that Kazaam was the same as Shazam.

Are you guys blind?

I get being mad they left out the lightning bolt, but all the other key elements were lovingly represented. I'm bummed we never got the sequel where Shaq fights Superman though.

• Locked thread