Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

You can easily get to waaaay overpowered enemies within the first 30 minutes in 11 and 14, too. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

You can easily get to waaaay overpowered enemies within the first 30 minutes in 11 and 14, too. :haw:

Man nothing in 11 ever stops being overpowered. I remember getting to the point where some mobs were so low in level you got 0 exp from killing them and I still couldn't solo some of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

You can easily get to waaaay overpowered enemies within the first 30 minutes in 11

Oh, you mean the cute little bunny rabbits.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

You can fight Grand Dragons and Garudas on Disc 1 in FF9, too.

Yeah but this is intentional. There is a Moogle that even warns the player about it. What may not have been intentional is the fact that Quina can defeat Grand Dragons with reasonable ease very early on and it becomes completely trivial a little later when lvl5 Death becomes accessible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah but this is intentional. There is a Moogle that even warns the player about it. What may not have been intentional is the fact that Quina can defeat Grand Dragons with reasonable ease very early on and it becomes completely trivial a little later when lvl5 Death becomes accessible.

The thing is that most of those types of early monsters are very daunting, but very much beatable with tangible rewards.

You're meant to use a Chocobo to get to the Mythril Mines, but with Poison or some other means you can beat the Midgar Zolom, and possibly even get Beta.

T-Rexaurs are the 'big' enemy early on in FFVIII, but you can still beat them handily with status effects. There's even a tutorial on it.

Grand Dragons, as mentioned, have ways of beating them down. Coral Ring, Quina, etc.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Right. My point is that Peninsula's of Power are a bug as a result of how the random encounters in old FF games were distributed throughout the world. Things like Grand Dragons are intentional and optional for players who seek a big challenge which sometimes include big rewards.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fedule posted:

FFXII had a whole ton of areas you can go to loooong before you're "supposed" to, as well as a few very powerful but docile enemies that show up even in places you are supposed to be. Most notably the Feywood (and the section of Golmore Jungle leading up to it), though which you can cut instead of fighting that one boss. There're also a lot of optional areas that will gladly kill you but won't stop you from going in long before it's a good idea, like the Necrohol of Nabudis and the Zertinan Caverns.

FFVIII and IX had a couple of places in the world map that have ridiculous enemies; in VIII there's the Island Closest to Heaven/Hell, which spawns Lv 100 enemies regardless of your own level (and is also full of invisible draw points for high-level spells), and in IX there's a little plateau you can get to in Disk 1 that has some quite dangerous enemies (who you can cheese with Lv5 Death for tons of early EXP), and there's that island where you fight Those loving Sheep™ (seriously, who was the sadistic genius who came up with the idea of having the highest-level/most-EXP-dropping enemy in the game also be able to inflict you with a status that stops you from gaining EXP?), which admittedly doesn't open up until very late game but still by the time you can first get there most players won't be nearly good enough to survive there for any meaningful length of time.

gently caress those loving sheep. You can't grind off them, you just can't. They are harder than motherfucking Ozma, I swear to christ. At least Ozma has a chance for the luck roulette to favor YOU--those sheep will just murder you or mock you, win or lose, and victory has such high costs you just wouldn't...it just isn't worth it.

I loved FF12's crew of bonus monsters though. That game was PACKED with bonus boss battles, hidden monsters, optional super bosses and all that jazz. A pity that the last bosses don't really play that well--the battle system is really good, but it doesn't get a good function when your biggest challenge is simply an outrageous sack of HP. I think there's a strategy you just plug in for the most powerful boss, and then you walk away for three hours and it fights it out to victory? Oh, but you need to come back in the last act of the fight because it goes berserk and starts to break pattern I THINK it has been awhile.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Screw XII's hidden/super bosses, giving all of them constant, non stop, non dispellable invincibility is just plain retarded. Just screw that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

gently caress those loving sheep. You can't grind off them, you just can't. They are harder than motherfucking Ozma, I swear to christ. At least Ozma has a chance for the luck roulette to favor YOU--those sheep will just murder you or mock you, win or lose, and victory has such high costs you just wouldn't...it just isn't worth it.

It's easy to forget since status ailments are so worthless in FF9 (because everything dies so fast) but Yans are vulnerable to Sleep, and Quina gets a super-accurate sleep move that hits everything onscreen. Hell, I don't think you're meant to fight them without Night since they Snort away your party as a counter to anything targeting them. I mean, it still makes Yans a crappy leveling source since you need Quina and someone good with magic when Quina can just one-shot Grand Dragons, but they're consistently beatable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think there's a strategy you just plug in for the most powerful boss, and then you walk away for three hours and it fights it out to victory? Oh, but you need to come back in the last act of the fight because it goes berserk and starts to break pattern I THINK it has been awhile.

In IZJS thanks to superior optimization you can run roughshod over him because the damage cap is gone and your grid is way more specced out. I killed him before he ever got his invulnerability paling to finish casting.

Its still the dumbest mechanic in an FF game because holy crap there is nothing less fun than "just sit here tanking their damage for the next 1:30 because we didn't have a way to prevent you from just nuking it down"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Krad posted:

Screw XII's hidden/super bosses, giving all of them constant, non stop, non dispellable invincibility is just plain retarded. Just screw that.

Aren't the only optional espers that use Paling Exodus (at the very end, where you're supposed to pierce his Reflect status with your own reflected spells or Opal Rings) and Zodiark (who I admit is kind of a dumb fight)? Hell Wyrm, Omega Mk.12, and Yiazmat don't have palings, for example.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The long gui in ffxiii-2 is a loving joke compared to ffxiii

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh hey Dark Valefor, I bet you're not so to--

oh I'm dead.

Okay...well...good thing I don't have to go back to that town anytime soon. But drat. Daaaayuuuuum. The hell am I supposed to beat this mother? He wasn't in the FFX I played. :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Celestial Weapons and super good equipment.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

oh I'm dead.

Okay...well...good thing I don't have to go back to that town anytime soon. But drat. Daaaayuuuuum. The hell am I supposed to beat this mother? He wasn't in the FFX I played. :(

I remember beating Dark Valefor by accident the first time around ten years ago, that guy's a complete joke compared to the rest.

Hell if I remember what I had or did though. :v:

E: Without break damage limit they're not worth the trouble though.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 16, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

oh I'm dead.

I have never fought any of the dark aeons since I never got my hands on the international version of the game, but I have beaten everything else in the original FFX. While not always a strict optimization rule, you usually want to start with this for any of the super bosses in this game:

1. As many Celestial weapons as you can stomach.
2. Armor with 4 empty slots. 2 of those slots should always have auto haste and auto protect. The rest is up to you. I am often a fan of auto phoenix for the 3rd slot and the 4th slot being a bit of a wildcard.
3. Max out at least two paths for each character on the sphere grid and also make sure to grab some key abilities using various special spheres. You will often need more sphere grid grinding than this of course, but this is supposed to represent a minimum before even bothering to try. Depends on the boss, your skill, and your level of patience.

That's a start. The rest gets to be more encounter specific.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Xavier434 posted:

I have never fought any of the dark aeons since I never got my hands on the international version of the game, but I have beaten everything else in the original FFX. While not always a strict optimization rule, you usually want to start with this for any of the super bosses in this game:

1. As many Celestial weapons as you can stomach.
2. Armor with 4 empty slots. 2 of those slots should always have auto haste and auto protect. The rest is up to you. I am often a fan of auto phoenix for the 3rd slot and the 4th slot being a bit of a wildcard.
3. Max out at least two paths for each character on the sphere grid and also make sure to grab some key abilities using various special spheres. You will often need more sphere grid grinding than this of course, but this is supposed to represent a minimum before even bothering to try. Depends on the boss, your skill, and your level of patience.

That's a start. The rest gets to be more encounter specific.

Is there any particularly effective way to grind? I remember some guide using Overdrive >>> AP conversion to get you 99 Sphere Points if you left your game overnight or something weird like that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Get overdrive to ap weapons

Get triple overdrive on the same weapon

Get double overdrive on the same weapon

Have one guy, the guy who's killed the most dudes (auron or wakka most likely) be set to the one that gains overdrive on taking damage

Have everyone else set to the one that gains overdrive upon seeing another person take damage

Guy who's taking damage is tank, everyone else is support

Enter monster arena battle against the giant tonberry

It does iirc 1000 damage for every monster that player has killed when hit, as a counterattack

Have rikku mix up whatever mix gains everyone overdrive at a faster rate (it's 3x I think)

Then just have your tank hit the tonberry every chance he or she can (use quick hits if possible) until the giant tonberry finally gets to you, then you run away because it will do a 99999 damage attack against all of your party members

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Is there any particularly effective way to grind? I remember some guide using Overdrive >>> AP conversion to get you 99 Sphere Points if you left your game overnight or something weird like that.

Creating weapons for your whole party with Triple Overdrive, Triple AP, and Overdrive > AP and fighting, creating armors with Auto-Phoenix, and then fighting Don Tonberries will get you 99 sphere levels in a couple minutes. Even with Double OD/AP, you'll get at least 50 easily in the same timeframe, just by hitting X while doing something else.

As for Dark Valefor, once you get your Celestial weapons and do just a little bit of rudimentary grinding, he'll be a pushover in no time at all. The only thing you need to worry about is tanking his Overdrive, but Auto-Life or tanking it with a Summon will work perfectly fine.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the trick to any and all bosses is hastega + quick hits + break damage limit + mix + gifting rikku all of your overdrives + having every aeon fully charged

Most importantly it's hastega + quick hits, with break damage limit you do an absolutely ludicrous amount of damage

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Just Yojimbo them. Restart every single time it doesn't Zanmato, and save after every time it does.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gologle posted:

Just Yojimbo them. Restart every single time it doesn't Zanmato, and save after every time it does.

Sure, Zanmato them all.

If you're a pussy. :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gologle posted:

Honestly just maxing everyone's sphere grid and abusing quick hits is more satisfying and less tedious

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm a bit lost, what's the point of fighting the optional superbosses if you're not actually gonna fight them? Zanmato is the "I can't beat this boss and I just want to continue the loving story already"-button.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To get a trophy. You need to beat the Dark Aeons to have access to Penance, iirc.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Instant Grat posted:

I'm a bit lost, what's the point of fighting the optional superbosses if you're not actually gonna fight them?

The simple answer:
Trophies

there is one for beating Penance who you can only fight after beating all the dark aeons which itself is required for the platinum.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Instant Grat posted:

I'm a bit lost, what's the point of fighting the optional superbosses if you're not actually gonna fight them? Zanmato is the "I can't beat this boss and I just want to continue the loving story already"-button.

covering the entire sphere grid and then using quick hit over and over isn't? it's just as trivial, with hours more grinding

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

What if you just want the items you may have missed in any of the areas that the dark aeons block off?

Also can't you not summon Yojimbo versus his dark version making him a brick wall if you haven't grinded to crazy levels?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dragonatrix posted:

There's even one in IV, though it's harder to know its there because its behind a mountain. It's also significantly less worth it, but it's there all the same.

Can't think of any other games than I, II and IV that have that sorta thing off-hand. I guess XII sort of does with things like the Saurian in the very first desert area or the Halcyon's in certain weather conditions but that's not quite the same thing.
Wait, is there? I know about the strip of land on the left side of the underworld with a unique encounter table, but I haven't heard of this before.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wait, is there? I know about the strip of land on the left side of the underworld with a unique encounter table, but I haven't heard of this before.

Between Mt Ordeals and Mysidia there's a mountain by the coast to the north-ish with a tile of land in front of it that looks inaccessible. Despite that, you can walk around it; if you do so, and continue onwards a bit you'll find Troia's monsters. Like I said, not too useful but it's there all the same.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dragonatrix posted:

Between Mt Ordeals and Mysidia there's a mountain by the coast to the north-ish with a tile of land in front of it that looks inaccessible. Despite that, you can walk around it; if you do so, and continue onwards a bit you'll find Troia's monsters. Like I said, not too useful but it's there all the same.

"Not too Useful" meaning you can quickly grind out a solid 10+ levels in a handful of encounters. It's pretty great.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Eh, Palom and Porom get more than strong enough to steamroll everything ever from just getting there/through Mt Ordeals. Cecil's wasted going there pre-class change since it doesn't help at all and doing it afterwards is redundant and pointless when Mt Ordeals is right there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can do some wiggling in the mountains/coast north of Mount Ordeals, to be able to fight enemies from T(o)roia area. If you want to grind out levels on the twins and aren't playing a version of the game where you get them back for endgame, it's a not-completely-horrible place to do it.

e:f;b

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress yeah butterfly catching is done! That only took...

two hours of trying over and over again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Golden Goat posted:

Also can't you not summon Yojimbo versus his dark version making him a brick wall if you haven't grinded to crazy levels?

You can, you just have to get it five times in a row.

Instant Grat posted:

Zanmato is the "this boss is stupid, I'm just going to skip it"-button.

Fixed that for you. I don't know why anybody would want to fight Penance fairly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If you live in Europe/Aus and are on the fence about Lightning Returns, this might clinch it; it's on sale! Was £39.99/€59.99/$89.95, now £19.99/€24.99/$29.95. That's not half bad!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fedule posted:

If you live in Europe/Aus and are on the fence about Lightning Returns, this might clinch it; it's on sale! Was £39.99/€59.99/$89.95, now £19.99/€24.99/$29.95. That's not half bad!
wait wait wait it was 90 dollars before?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Prices for videogames in Australia are crazy for some reason or other.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

McDragon posted:

Prices for videogames in Australia are crazy for some reason or other.
Ah, right, I remember hearing about that.

That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Australia needs to get its own dollar sign sheesh