Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
OTOH my good friend was hired for a position that listed PhD + 10 yrs experience as requirements. He had masters + 0 experience (other than uni work).

He is rocking his job. When he was hired, he definitely let them know that he wasn't qualified on paper, etc., but it's sometimes the case that the people hiring aren't so sure of what they truly need, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tai-Pan posted:

Agreed. You can say "I am in the process of moving to X".
Just be warned, any company that was filtering on location means they will not budget any moving stipend and will expect you to be available for in-person interviews at your expense.

Some companies that are filtering on location may not budget for transportation for interviews or relocation packages, but some will. We always will, since the local market doesn't hold enough candidates for our company. The bigger barrier is convincing the company that you actually want to relocate and that the interview isn't a waste of time. Companies will be more spooked if they get the sense that you aren't serious about moving from your current location.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Recruiters are a meat market sometimes. I only use people I've met personally, and ones who appreciate long term relationships with clients. Institutions know if a company is sending them every single relevant candidate instead of a top 10 or so*.

*My niche is narrow so it's likely me against a few other people, but for additional lead generation it's perfect.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nothing like going to an interview and finding out:

* It's a tiny 40 person outpost of this megacorp, resulting from an acquisition. So any promotions require relocation.
* It's a support position, not new development.
* The team I would manage is actually all in India, not split half and half as promised.
* Even though it's only 20% coding, they want to do a super deep technical interview.

I'm not sure who left that interview less interest in hiring me.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I assume you guys have seen this making the rounds on LinkedIn:

Jesus Christ.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

corkskroo posted:

I assume you guys have seen this making the rounds on LinkedIn:

Jesus Christ.

Yeah that's been around a month or two now. Good stuff.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah that's been around a month or two now. Good stuff.

She got ripped apart on the internet for that, and at least two other similar responses. In all three the line "I suggest you join the other Job Bank in town - oh wait there isn't one" is used.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Perhaps she's forgotten all the networking she likely did to reach those same lofty heights herself. Or if she did not, perhaps her own sense of entitlement is blinding.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
That is unreal and I cannot believe that is true. Someone actually write that to another person under a professional context... Jfc

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Hand of the King posted:

That is unreal and I cannot believe that is true. Someone actually write that to another person under a professional context... Jfc

She is obviously a nasty hateful person, but you can imagine that after getting hundreds and hundreds of requests she might snap. I think I heard that the instructions on getting into the job bank are pretty clear that they are only for senior professionals.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tai-Pan posted:

I think I heard that the instructions on getting into the job bank are pretty clear that they are only for senior professionals.

It's also tough since the only purpose of the instructions is to make life easier for her. There's no real incentive for the person trying to get in to follow them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tai-Pan posted:

She is obviously a nasty hateful person, but you can imagine that after getting hundreds and hundreds of requests she might snap. I think I heard that the instructions on getting into the job bank are pretty clear that they are only for senior professionals.

I too flip out and try to make people feel bad because they dare to message me on a networking site.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Hand of the King posted:

I wonder if she had no idea that this would ever get passed around the internet and not in a way that would make her look all that fun to be around professionally or casually.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Giving it another go (new account), since I'm back in 'Murica.

When I try to complete my profile, it always brings up what groups I participated in during college. I don't want or have anything to add to this and skip it. It always come back though. Is there a way to get around this? Stuck at near complete :/

When I sent connect request, it used to ask if I wanted to attach a message. Now it never seems to ask at all. As I'm trying to avoid getting locked again there are a few people who I would like to message to remind them of who I am... just in case. InMail seems to be paid memebers only stuff. Have connect messages been removed?

Let us see how long I last this time! :ohdear:

moflika fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 12, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I heart bacon posted:

I wonder if she had no idea that this would ever get passed around the internet and not in a way that would make her look all that fun to be around professionally or casually.

It's clear she's an evil moron, so probably not.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
It's 3 AM and I'm connecting like a mother fucker.

Is the advice to get a recruiter's recommendation still applicable? I might be missing something, but for all of the recommendations I've given it asks what job we've worked at together. I haven't worked with any recruiters at a job. What do I do help me

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Doing a little job hunting I've come to a realization that my current job title doesn't really jive with industry standard. My job title is Customer Support Engineer but most companies use the term Field Service Engineer or Field Service Technician for the same role.

What would be the best way to include these more common terms in my profile to ensure a better chance of showing up in search?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tots posted:

It's 3 AM and I'm connecting like a mother fucker.

Is the advice to get a recruiter's recommendation still applicable? I might be missing something, but for all of the recommendations I've given it asks what job we've worked at together. I haven't worked with any recruiters at a job. What do I do help me

Yes and just use your current position (or the one you are looking to get out of). If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, pick anything really. Or you could even make up a titular job like "Job-Seeking," "Opportunity Pursuit," etc. and bury it on your profile somewhere by pre-dating it to some irrelevant period of time. Then you can just choose that as an option. If this route sounds too gamey though, just use your current position and remind yourself that the actual recommendation is the important part and the one that people are most likely to see/read.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Doing a little job hunting I've come to a realization that my current job title doesn't really jive with industry standard. My job title is Customer Support Engineer but most companies use the term Field Service Engineer or Field Service Technician for the same role.

What would be the best way to include these more common terms in my profile to ensure a better chance of showing up in search?

Use them in a list of keywords (does LinkedIn still profile this profile function? I don't even know, but at one point it did). Or pick the best one for your professional tagline (the bit that shows up under your name) and relegate the "official" one to the actual job entry in your professional history. Unless you're compelled to be honest almost to a fault though, nobody would care if you changed your official job title to one more relevant to your actual duties or just one you preferred more.

Remember, a Linkedin profile is not the same thing as a resume. You need only be concerned with overly-inflating your job title in order to appear more senior than you can justify. Many people's titles don't reflect their actual duties, scope of responsibility or seniority--this is your place to sell yourself, so you should not be a stickler for its literal accuracy. Therefore, any job title for a position you hold or have held in the past should be more accurately viewed as a tool to be used in pursuing whatever your current professional goals are, and its accuracy primarily matters only in its applicability and relevance to your achievement of those goals.

Hope that helps.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yes and just use your current position (or the one you are looking to get out of). If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, pick anything really. Or you could even make up a titular job like "Job-Seeking," "Opportunity Pursuit," etc. and bury it on your profile somewhere by pre-dating it to some irrelevant period of time. Then you can just choose that as an option. If this route sounds too gamey though, just use your current position and remind yourself that the actual recommendation is the important part and the one that people are most likely to see/read.

Use them in a list of keywords (does LinkedIn still profile this profile function? I don't even know, but at one point it did). Or pick the best one for your professional tagline (the bit that shows up under your name) and relegate the "official" one to the actual job entry in your professional history. Unless you're compelled to be honest almost to a fault though, nobody would care if you changed your official job title to one more relevant to your actual duties or just one you preferred more.

Remember, a Linkedin profile is not the same thing as a resume. You need only be concerned with overly-inflating your job title in order to appear more senior than you can justify. Many people's titles don't reflect their actual duties, scope of responsibility or seniority--this is your place to sell yourself, so you should not be a stickler for its literal accuracy. Therefore, any job title for a position you hold or have held in the past should be more accurately viewed as a tool to be used in pursuing whatever your current professional goals are, and its accuracy primarily matters only in its applicability and relevance to your achievement of those goals.

Hope that helps.

I disagree, although I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm incorrect, but I'd consider your job title to be something you don't just make up. If you don't like your title, you should talk to someone who can actually change it, but I don't think you should just put down something that sounds good.

Again, maybe I'm wrong or naive or something, so correct me if I'm wrong, but your description of a job is where you can go into more detail of what you actually did, and the job title is whatever you agreed to when you took the job.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ObsidianBeast posted:

I disagree, although I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm incorrect, but I'd consider your job title to be something you don't just make up. If you don't like your title, you should talk to someone who can actually change it, but I don't think you should just put down something that sounds good.

Again, maybe I'm wrong or naive or something, so correct me if I'm wrong, but your description of a job is where you can go into more detail of what you actually did, and the job title is whatever you agreed to when you took the job.

The most I'm willing to do on a job title is change it to what I actually do and that will come up in searches, as opposed to whatever arcane, meaningless terminology my company uses. It's also important to get out from under your job title if it's not what you want to do in your next job.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have no problem making up a job title that accurately reflects what I do, since our job titles are not tied to our position. They really just reflect salary level.

OTOH if my real job title is "Analyst II", I would feel very dishonest to list my title as "Analyst III."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There seems to be an off-and-on misconception in this thread that you should use LinkedIn to do unethical, irresponsible things, like:

Connect to absolutely everyone and spam out connection requests all the time, forever. No, connect to the people you are interacting with and with the recruiters you want to interact with. People on LinkedIn are not your Facebook friends, so you don't have to "know" them. LinkedIn officially doesn't like LIONs, but in practice they actually encourage this behavior and try to sell you on account upgrades by making it easier to do. You won't get anywhere on LinkedIn if you limit yourself to people you work with/your college friends. They don't have jobs for you and they probably want the same jobs you do.

I recently went through an interview process at [Tech Company.] I didn't get the job. I still connected with all the recruiters I interacted with there, which was helped along by the fact that they were in my gmail address book at that point. It's a large company and not all doors are closed.

Lie on your LinkedIn resume. Please don't. This will only lead to bad things. If you are officially an Analyst II, you can put that down. If you are an Analyst II but you are actually recognized as the foremost analyst out of the people you work with, you might get away with "Senior" or "Lead." That wouldn't be lying or even really dishonest. If you want to skirt around the issue entirely, leave out "II" and just make sure your bullet points describe how god-drat great you are at analyzing. If Analyst isn't descriptive enough, use what you actually do if it sounds better/will get better hits off recruiters.

LinkedIn is ideally an at-a-glance resume that targets the position/field you actually want to work in. You should be aggressive with how you use and promote your page, without being overzealous or foolish.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
^^^ Great clarifications, thanks. I suppose I should caveat my previous post by saying that I've never held a GS position (or any position with a set step-increased graded pay scale/defined compensation schedule) but in those cases, I would say and agree that your title should absolutely reflect the title you held, because it's important for a great deal of reasons to someone who might be looking at it in a potential hiring scenario.

In non-governmental jobs however the practice is that whatever title you hold more than likely was arbitrarily made up by someone on the spot around the time the employment paperwork was being prepared before it was sent out to you. I've had several jobs that changed my title the first day because it was already inaccurate. There are few job titles that can trade on status and prestige alone, even those that start with "senior." If you have one of those titles, you more than likely don't need this thread's help to find a job. ;)

For everyone else though, the above was the experience I was speaking to in my previous post; if your situation differs considerably from that, I also don't think you should take that advice and run with it.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Thanks for everyone's input on the job title question.

I certainly wouldn't want to change my title to something misleading. The titles, "Customer Support Engineer," "Field Service Engineer," and "Field Service Technician" all pretty much describe the same job/function. Become an expert on how a physical product works and then travel to customer sites installing, repairing and performing preventative maintenance. The only real difference is that the "Engineer" moniker seems to apply to jobs where a degree is required where the "Technician" seems to be more trade/high school diploma focused.

Follow-up question: When adding a project where you worked with co-workers. Do they get notified or asked for approval if you add them as a person you worked with or does it even show up on their page?

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

Connect to absolutely everyone and spam out connection requests all the time, forever. No, connect to the people you are interacting with and with the recruiters you want to interact with. People on LinkedIn are not your Facebook friends, so you don't have to "know" them. LinkedIn officially doesn't like LIONs, but in practice they actually encourage this behavior and try to sell you on account upgrades by making it easier to do. You won't get anywhere on LinkedIn if you limit yourself to people you work with/your college friends. They don't have jobs for you and they probably want the same jobs you do.

Yeah, after coming back to the US and starting a new account, things seem to be running much smoother. I still add plenty of people I don't "know", but they are so connected to my background that it is pretty obvious why I would add them. Some people were even pretty into the fact that I added them :)

Despite the debate back when my account got locked, I think it had more to do with my location and it not fitting with pretty much everything that my profile was saying. Linkedin toots that "only add people you know" horn pretty loud, but it's obvious that the site would pretty much die if people didn't expand beyond their real acquaintances.

*knocks on wood* :ohdear:

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Haven't posted in this thread in a while, just stopping by to say thanks for all the great advice, and I was happy to connect with a lot of you on LinkedIn. The Stairmasters group is pretty much the only useful group I am a member of, as all my other groups - for designers and copy writers - are full of spam or links to sub par work.

One thing I've learned on LinkedIn, and this is a piece of advice I can give, is that you should regularly post updates, even if it is just a status update. Blog posts, new work, links you find interesting or causes you support - post them as status updates. It makes you pop up in other people's search more, you become more visible on LinkedIn, and that by itself is useful.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I'm a little unhappy with the usefulness of most group content as well. It seems as though most posts are little more than attempts at social engineering for traffic-generation purposes. Maybe 1 out of every 50 or 100 things I've clicked on in pretty much any group on Linkedin has been useful, hence the sentiments you can probably see regarding such things in the OP.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I see a lot of people with "Seeking employment in X" or similar such messages in their professional headline. Is that considered good practice if you're unemployed? All I have in mine is my professional society designation and M.Sc.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It's not really bad practice, but it can be helpful if you are in an in-demand field and/or have a specific and hard to find set of qualifications to put it out there that way in a very plain and obvious fashion.

Just be aware that it can also carry the image of desperation as well, particularly if done badly (I need only reference the weird capitalization, characters/spacing and netspeak that some people inexplicably put in their professional taglines as an example). If you feel confident that your qualifications will speak for themselves if you draw attention very obviously to the fact that you're looking for work, it may well be a smart move. Recent or soon-to-be grads looking to give any handle possible to a recruiter scouting for entry-level workers might also find that tactic of value. For perennial contract workers (some of you graphics design folks come to mind), it might be a good choice as another means for attracting new clients.

Others I would say should consider whether they want to advertise themselves that way more carefully.

Zombie Plague
Oct 31, 2009

I WENT TO E3 TO FIND MY DREAM JOB IN THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY.

WOMEN WHO WON'T FUCK ME WHEN I DO NICE THINGS FOR THEM ARE CUNTS.

I AM A PATHETIC WASTE OF OXYGEN.

So here's something I did on LinkedIn very recently. Someone in the thread has probably done something similar and posted about it, but it likely deserves to be repeated, so:

1) I wanted to be on the radar of recruiters in targeted businesses/industries.

2) So, I searched LinkedIn for:

-People in [Place I'm in]
-In Staffing and Recruiting
-Who are a 2nd Connection
-In [X Business]

You can ask these people to friend you without LinkedIn checking if you actually know them.

3) I friended 40-60 recruiters within 72 hours. I would say 90%+ of them accepted, because what does a recruiter love more than recruits? I am friends with so many recruiters now that LinkedIn thinks I should join network groups for recruiters.

4) Within less than a week, I noticed I was getting way more search hits, in the vein of 50-200% more than usual on any given day. Within two weeks, I was getting way more profile hits and getting friended by more recruiters.

5) Stuff happening, we'll see.

Dude, we need to start making a list of recruiters in each state, broken down by area. Take this poo poo by storm.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's so weird that I have so many recruiters as connections just from responding to their mails and saying "thanks for the interest but I'm not interested in moving to NYC which is two hours away."

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010
Hello. I am quite literally starting from zero on LinkedIn and have filled out my profile to the maximum extent possible, but I can only get my profile up to "Expert" level rather than "All-Star". I am assuming this is because I have no recommendations and have no source by which to obtain recommendations that I can reasonably think of. I also am at a loss as to which groups to join since I don't have an industry. I've been joining groups haphazardly which relate to my interests, abilities and region, but I have to wait for approval to find out if they have a jobs board or not. One group I joined just posts jobs in the comments section.

It doesn't feel like I'm working on finding a job when I have to sit around and wait for approval to join a group.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Railgun posted:

Hello. I am quite literally starting from zero on LinkedIn and have filled out my profile to the maximum extent possible, but I can only get my profile up to "Expert" level rather than "All-Star". I am assuming this is because I have no recommendations and have no source by which to obtain recommendations that I can reasonably think of. I also am at a loss as to which groups to join since I don't have an industry. I've been joining groups haphazardly which relate to my interests, abilities and region, but I have to wait for approval to find out if they have a jobs board or not. One group I joined just posts jobs in the comments section.

It doesn't feel like I'm working on finding a job when I have to sit around and wait for approval to join a group.

You do realize that joining groups doesn't get you much in the way of job-opportunities and no-one can see your "all-star" rating, right?
Why aren't you spending time applying for internships?

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010

Tai-Pan posted:

You do realize that joining groups doesn't get you much in the way of job-opportunities and no-one can see your "all-star" rating, right?
Why aren't you spending time applying for internships?

Why would I realize either of those things when I'm completely new to this and the OP does not lend itself to anything you've just said.

I do not apply for internships because internships do not apply to my situation.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Larger groups tend to have more and greater variety in the postings available on the Jobs board.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what groups to join because you have to set your own objectives and goals first, which will then inform and guide you to the correct groups.

There are no "wrong" or "right" groups to join. Use population size as a general guide to importance and practical use, then start joining. If you are waiting for approval, then join some more groups while you do. There is no such thing as joining too many groups either; and actually, this could serve as a usable substitute for those of you that don't like the idea of connecting with strangers, since all members of a same group show up as 2nd degree connections in a search.

Finally, your profile completion percentage only increases the likelihood that you'll show up in a search done by someone else (by including more pieces of information that could possibly qualify as "relevant" in the eyes of the search algorithm). The reason it is recommended as one of the first steps in the OP is because it gives a decent probability that goons have a critical mass of information which will allow the rest of the OP to do its job.

Hope these clarifications help.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Railgun posted:

I do not apply for internships because internships do not apply to my situation.

You have no work history and no industry.
How isn't an internship the perfect situation for you?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Railgun posted:

... OP does not lend itself to anything you've just said.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Larger groups tend to have more and greater variety in the postings available on the Jobs board.

So, the OP and I disagree on a lot of things.
There isn't a reason NOT to join a group, but it drat sure isn't the thing that is preventing you from getting a job.
I have NEVER seen a job posting placed in any group that wasn't also placed in a public job board as well. It may happen, but it isn't the rule.

The NOTABLE exception being invitation-only groups. Of course, you wont be invited, or qualified, for that group/job.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Tai-Pan posted:

You have no work history and no industry.
How isn't an internship the perfect situation for you?

A lot of places won't hire you as an intern unless you're taking courses at a college.

That being said, a lot of fields won't let you in unless you have completed an internship somewhere.

Personally, I've never used groups as anything more than a Rolodex of people that I should message.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Railgun posted:

Hello. I am quite literally starting from zero on LinkedIn and have filled out my profile to the maximum extent possible, but I can only get my profile up to "Expert" level rather than "All-Star". I am assuming this is because I have no recommendations and have no source by which to obtain recommendations that I can reasonably think of.

My profile level only got to "All-Star" when I put down the position where I'm currently employed. Not so helpful when you're unemployed and hoping to show up in searches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

HiroProtagonist posted:

Good poo poo about taglines.

Excellent. That's all I wanted to know and more. Thanks!

Baneling Butts posted:

My profile level only got to "All-Star" when I put down the position where I'm currently employed. Not so helpful when you're unemployed and hoping to show up in searches!

Yup. LinkedIn keeps pestering me to put in my current job info so I can Get More Views and it's kind of irritating. They should implement a "currently unemployed" status with information to fill about your desired industry or career path as an alternative. That way you get your info in the database, even if unemployed.

As an additional bonus you'll stop getting taunted by the main page notifications to update your current employment status (:sigh:)

• Locked thread