Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Knitted Art posted:

iirc there were a lot of butthurt from GiTP when eberron was chosen because rich burlew's generic as gently caress setting was passed lol

Considering that contest required you to use every monster in the manual, you had to be clever to not be generic as gently caress. Keith seemed to be the only one who figured out shoving that toxic crap into the planes freed up space to actually create something worthwhile.

Not to diminish baker's work, however. Since, even without that restrictions, most of the contestants,like burlew, would probably still make generic poo poo. I just can't help, but wonder if that crap would have gone better without that requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

eberron has lightning-rail trains and cities made of towers and marxist uprising robots, forgotten realms has a wizard that fucks everything

Also its got a stable empire of monster races, a kingdom ruled by a Vampire who is pretty adamant about protecting his people, plus a religion who worships a lich who is still hanging around and doesn't know why her followers are getting magic out of it nor is particularly interested in finding out. Also werewolf genocide and religious oppression.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

kaius the vampire king is loving awesome

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Knitted Art posted:

kaius the vampire king is loving awesome

Also the Blood of Vol are pretty hilarious. Those are the undead religious guys who basically have come to the conclusion that its bullshit only mortals die. Their core tenants are basically: believe in yourself, work to improve yourself, meet with others of The Blood of Vol.

Oh and the Silver Flame, who worship a god that may or may not exist and maybe offer rewards for joining their fanatical religious cult. These guys are basically the star citizen of the Eberron so they obviously are the most successful.

Forgotten Realms is pretty straight forward fantasy world stuff except that every major city has a level 20+ wizard who can probably just step in and solve your problem for you and give you a cookie for trying to help.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 16, 2014

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Whoever writes forgotten Realms assumes the most interesting thing you can write about in a setting are the high level npcs.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

stoutfish posted:

Whoever writes forgotten Realms assumes the most interesting thing you can write about in a setting are the high level npcs.

Forgotten Realms is a world where you read about people doing things, so it writes about high level NPCs.
Ebberon is a world where you are are told what makes you want to do things, so it makes interesting details and motivations for under-specified organizations, nations, and landscapes.

You see the difference.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

Oh and the Silver Flame, who worship a god that may or may not exist and maybe offer rewards for joining their fanatical religious cult. These guys are basically the star citizen of the Eberron so they obviously are the most successful.

Actually the Silver Flame is the one religion in Eberron that actually has the nearest claim to worshipping an actual "god" (it's more like some weird abstract conceptual thing than a dude in the sky on a throne) that you're probably going to get in the setting. Like, there really is a Silver Flame which is more than any other religion in the setting can point to (except for having divine magic but most people in the setting don't take that as proof gods exist because poo poo, anyone can learn magic, that's not special).

Eberron still owns because it's a D&D setting where gods aren't these high-level Monster Manual entries who exist either to shove the players in the direction of the GM's latest adventure or to be killed once the GM runs out of ideas for poo poo to do, there's room for stuff like religious schisms and differing opinions on doctrine without it instantly causing people to become Evil (also Eberron largely ignores alignment because alignment is dumb). Or you can just ignore all that poo poo and be a Paladin and kill some demons, it's all good.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay but seriously: Grognards aren't "enjoying Vance and Burroughs" because they don't enjoy anything; they use their hobbies as vehicles to feel smarter than other people despite being complete losers. You can't do that with stuff that's hit the mainstream. Plus they hate anything Kids These Days like because they're resentful teenagers trapped in grown-up bodies.

I will always remember the grog who more or less left RPG.net in shame after he claimed "I don't read your newfangled pop novels like The Song of Roland or The Water Margin, I only read classes like Vance" without any trace of awareness.

Kai Tave posted:

Actually the Silver Flame is the one religion in Eberron that actually has the nearest claim to worshipping an actual "god" (it's more like some weird abstract conceptual thing than a dude in the sky on a throne) that you're probably going to get in the setting. Like, there really is a Silver Flame which is more than any other religion in the setting can point to (except for having divine magic but most people in the setting don't take that as proof gods exist because poo poo, anyone can learn magic, that's not special).

The thing with the Silver Flame that people miss is that it isn't a religion for peasants. The Silver Flame has absolutely no rules or laws or verses about going to market or working at the farm or, well, anything regarding day to day life. It is 100%, always, ALWAYS, about finding evil, and then wrecking it's loving face. It's a hardcore religion because it is based specifically around "Once these demons came up, AND WE DESTROYED THE poo poo EATERS IN A GLORIOUS SACRIFICE."

Likewise the most popular religion has absolutely nothing about what happens when you die. Everyone knows what happens when you die. You go to the grey plane and slowly fade away in a fit of nihilism. The Sovereign are based on "Pray to the gods for good things in your actual physical life, and pay to the Dark Six in secret and ask them not to do terrible things to you."

The only religions that really focus themselves on an after life tend to be somewhat grim about it. Aerenal teaches that the best of the best get to live forever as an Undying, and if that isn't you, good news, work your forge peasant. Even worse is the Valenar ancestor worship, which states that your ancestors will always be the greatest heroes that ever existed, and the best you can do is be worthy enough for their spirit to empower you. The Valenar is a cultural group of proud high fantasy warriors in a setting where everyone adamantly wants as little war as possible. They're seeking "glory" right after a war that more or less proved the whole "glory" thing doesn't exist.

As I recall at one point the Valenar took Shar during the Last War. The response was to look at them irritated and say "WE'RE A LITTLE BUSY WITH WAR RIGHT NOW." The elves hung round for a bit...then just left, depressed that nobody came to fight them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I like how easy it is to change the tone of the situation. Like the Silver Flame is obviously a beacon of good and light but wait a minute what's that dark spark in there and why are they literally genociding innocent werewolves?

Also those werewolves are roided up massmurderers that carry a disease making more of them and the only thing protecting the world from them is a coupla level 1s with dinky silver swords and oh god who is the bad guy here.

Same with the gnome nation, you gently caress up and their secret service dissapears you, howdy pardner we're good aligned gnomes everyone's friendly here or else.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, the thing with the lyanthrope purge that also tends to go unnoticed is that it was initially full on zombie apocalypse style except they're werewolves, not zombies, so they're better in every way, and intelligent. Every wound from a lycanthrope - every KIND of lycanthrope (since in 3e, only naturally born ones can spread the disease normally) - was infectious. At the same time, this lead to a "Murder everything" policy in the purge, something the werewolves themselves exploited at times, with BOTH sides creating scapegoats to throw zealots onto.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eberron is pretty rad I think is the general point. You can tell because grogs really hate it.

EDIT: Someone tell me about the Emerald Claw, whats their deal?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 16, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Emerald Claw are like Cobra in GI Joe, they're one of the few groups in Eberron that you can really just throw at your players to have fights with on top of a speeding train without running into any sort of moral ambiguity.

Basically the Emerald Claw are Karrnathi ultranationalists (Karrnath is like fantasy Prussia with a big thing for necromancy but not like DARK SACRIFICE TO THE GODS style, more like "Salute our brave sons and daughters who have BUT ONE UNLIFE to give for their country") who are pissed that the Last War didn't end with Karrnath Uber Alles and so they go around being terrorist assholes and generally trying to start a bunch of poo poo in the hopes that war will break out again and this time Karrnath can show everyone who's boss.

The King of Karrnath (who's a vampire posing as his own grandson fyi) loving hates these guys because he knows Karrnath was getting its poo poo wrecked during the War and the last thing he wants is these schmucks setting off round two.

Oh and the Emerald Claw are also basically supported behind the scenes by that lich you mentioned earlier not because she cares about their cause but because she figures having some militant fanatics on retainer could be handy so she sort of puppets them around whenever it suits her.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I tried to run an eberron module back in the day and my players decided to gently caress everything up but I think Im a bad DM. They were supposed to get a schema or whatever and they did parts of the adventure fine then refused to return the schema. I tried to push them toward finding the other schema before the original quest guy (originally a good guy now a bad guy obviously... :what:). Nope they wanted to ransom off the schema and then do something else.

Eberron is cool, but my original D&D group was terrible. GROGS, THE LOT OF THEM. Plus that was like the 2nd time I had ever DMed.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 16, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also I liked Eberron's planar system and how it tied in with druids.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I will always remember the grog who more or less left RPG.net in shame after he claimed "I don't read your newfangled pop novels like The Song of Roland or The Water Margin, I only read classes like Vance" without any trace of awareness.
my RPGnet reading has tapered off because nothing will ever be as satisfying as that post

kingcom posted:

Eberron is pretty rad I think is the general point. You can tell because grogs really hate it.

kingcom posted:

kingcom posted:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Eberron is my default 'fantasy setting'

Like everyone has their own personal default where someone says "I'm gonna run a fantasy game" and then your mind starts coming up with character concepts to make that you'd think are cool.

My mind always thinks up Eberron dudes, even if the game isn't really Eberron, and then I work out from there to make the dude fit the actual setting, so as not to be a dick to the GM.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Eberron also has airships. I really like it in addition to what everyone else mentioned because it kinda goes off the idea of what would happen if their was an industrial revolution in a world where magic is abundant.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Eberron is basically steam punk without being really obnoxious about it.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Bread Set Jettison posted:

it's based on the turn of the century not victorian times

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Semantics

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nihnoz posted:

it's based on the turn of the century not victorian times

Baroque technology + Shocking class inequality + Monumental architecure + Inventor adventurers = Steampunk, hth

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This is a good way to put it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Error 404 posted:

Eberron is my default 'fantasy setting'

Like everyone has their own personal default where someone says "I'm gonna run a fantasy game" and then your mind starts coming up with character concepts to make that you'd think are cool.

My mind always thinks up Eberron dudes, even if the game isn't really Eberron, and then I work out from there to make the dude fit the actual setting, so as not to be a dick to the GM.
My default fantasy setting is one where the Empire imprisons middle-aged virgins who complain about Idris Elba and Jason Momoa being too "swarthy" and the magitech is powered by their tears and repressed homosexuality.

Like the reason wizard spellbooks are so expensive is if you want a fireball spell, you have to go to the dungeon and get a fatbeard to write out an angry rant about how Conan must have smoldering, volcanic blue eyes (I know, I know) or like if you need a teleport spell, you have to transcribe an explanation that Asgardians are Norse (even though they are from another dimension and also outer space) so they all have to be blonde and white.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

My default fantasy setting is one where the Empire imprisons middle-aged virgins who complain about Idris Elba and Jason Momoa being too "swarthy" and the magitech is powered by their tears and repressed homosexuality.

Like the reason wizard spellbooks are so expensive is if you want a fireball spell, you have to go to the dungeon and get a fatbeard to write out an angry rant about how Conan must have smoldering, volcanic blue eyes (I know, I know) or like if you need a teleport spell, you have to transcribe an explanation that Asgardians are Norse (even though they are from another dimension and also outer space) so they all have to be blonde and white.

wait how would an asgardian not be norse?

or are you talkin like Marvel style

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Halloween Jack posted:

yeah but i'm talkin about fantasy games, not real life

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

aesir drive like this, vanir drive like *this*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Error 404 posted:

yeah but i'm talkin about fantasy games, not real life
In real life horrible nerds produce nothing

unless you built an engine powered by rape jokes and death threats

ForeverSmug posted:

wait how would an asgardian not be norse?

or are you talkin like Marvel style
rear end guardians.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Too much jötnarphobia in this hobby

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
All this Eberron talks reminds me that I wanted to get into the setting, but didn't get into the hobby till after 4e was a few years old.

Anyone know a good place or book that compiles all the setting info? I don't need any of the mechanics for a game (3.5) I don't play.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
I have no idea to believe you guys when you say eberron is a good setting because goons believe 40k is a deep, interesting, and intriguing universe.

Dec 26, 2012

stoutfish posted:

I have no idea to believe you guys when you say eberron is a good setting because goons believe 40k is a deep, interesting, and intriguing universe.

read it and find out yourself?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
eh, reading nerd stuff sounds like a pain. i don't read things man

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

stoutfish posted:

eberron is a good d&d setting, which sure is a qualifier

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

stoutfish posted:

eh, reading nerd stuff sounds like a pain. i don't read things man

Except nerd arguments on the internet?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

stoutfish posted:

Hahaha, what? I thought the 3 goons who actually thought that were quarantined in their own thread. Warhammer (Any of it) is about as intriguing a universe as a wet fart.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I can imagine people calling it "fun", but who out there is saying "hmm yes big catholic stompy mans shoot space lava-elves on a baroque-metal album cover, really makes u think"

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

No one likes the Warhammer 40k universe from a macroscopic viewpoint, they like their pet faction and the codex fluff for it. Or they like it with some retarded caveat like "Yeah it's really cool, just pretend the Tau don't exist."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

stoutfish posted:

it has a bunch of interesting ideas tossed haphazardly in a pile, most of which are ignored by freelancers in favor of writing bland generic fantasy garbage. it also has some really unfortunate poo poo, like the fact that one of the places to adventure is basically subsaharan africa and the people that live there are blackskinned murderous cannibals who recently escaped slavery

idk it's a d&d setting. it just happens to be a mixed bag instead of boring fantasy npc wank oatmeal like most of them. read the first core book and see if any of that poo poo seems interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I will say that for everything that I like about Eberron, theres something really silly and "too much" in it. Comes with the territory I guess?

I'll just write my own generic boring lame-o fantasy world thank you very much.

• Locked thread