Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

hamster_style posted:

Boondocks season 2 is up on Netflix.

As is Venture Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

As is Venture Bros.

If you are new to the show look up what order the episodes are supposed to be in, it's all over the place on netflix and some of them will be kind of confusing to see out of order.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

rodbeard posted:

If you are new to the show look up what order the episodes are supposed to be in, it's all over the place on netflix and some of them will be kind of confusing to see out of order.

Christ, you weren't kidding! Looks like the proper order on Netflix is 7, 6, 3, 5, 4, 2, 1, 9, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13. What in the hell possessed Netflix to order them like this? :psyduck:

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

As is Venture Bros.

Robot Chicken and ATHF too.

Wish they'd add Space Ghost C2C and Sealab.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
They also put up the second season of Samurai Jack, but took down the first.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

hamster_style posted:

Boondocks season 2 is up on Netflix.

Also Tom Segura's comedy special is pretty funny.

Tom Segura's comedy special is REALLY funny. I watched it 2.5 times already, I normally can't sit through stand up specials, but his is great.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

particle409 posted:

Tom Segura's comedy special is REALLY funny. I watched it 2.5 times already, I normally can't sit through stand up specials, but his is great.

I agree, but didn't want to oversell it. I've also watched it multiple times already.

On a stand up note, I recently watched "The Muslims are Coming!" which is a stand up tour/road trip/documentary which follows 3 Muslim comics as they tour around the South and Southwest. It has commentary with Aasif Manvi, Soledad O' Brien, Rachel Maddow, Jon Stewart and Lewis Black. The comedians were funny and the documentary was pretty insightful.

Also Rob Delaney's special "Live at the Bowery" made me laugh until I cried.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Another stand-up special worth watching is Christian Finnegan's The Fun Part.

It's on Netflix and free on Itunes (I believe).

Some samples from Youtube:

On Craig Ferguson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMMZoCVHa0

And his appearance on Comedy Central Presnts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=172kHebekSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJI7drC7t1g

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I wish Comedy Central presents was still on Netflix. It was nice to have them all accessible and easily watchable. Trying to watch anything on the CC website is such a pain in the rear end.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's free on Amazon Prime streaming last I checked.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I had never heard of A Fantastic Fear of Everything starring Simon Pegg, but apparently it was panned a bit by critics. I really really enjoyed it. It is equal parts funny, unnerving, and Kafkaesque. I gave it a 4/5.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

It's free on Amazon Prime streaming last I checked.

Sweet, thanks for the tip!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Just to break up the stand-up chat going on for a while there, Iron SKy: director's cut is up. If you haven't watched Iron Sky do yourself a favor and grab some friends and make them watch it with you. It's amazing. And funny as gently caress.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

coyo7e posted:

Just to break up the stand-up chat going on for a while there, Iron SKy: director's cut is up. If you haven't watched Iron Sky do yourself a favor and grab some friends and make them watch it with you. It's amazing. And funny as gently caress.

I was completely blown away by Iron Sky. I went into it thinking "oh gosh, here's a dumb cheesefest about moon Nazis," and it ended up being so much more :allears:

Do grab some friends and enjoy it as a group. It's wonderful entertainment.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I was completely blown away by Iron Sky. I went into it thinking "oh gosh, here's a dumb cheesefest about moon Nazis," and it ended up being so much more :allears:

Do grab some friends and enjoy it as a group. It's wonderful entertainment.

For a couple years I was super psyched for iron sky, until the first trailer came out and made it clear it was a comedy.

I was really hoping for a serious campy horror movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Malloreon posted:

For a couple years I was super psyched for iron sky, until the first trailer came out and made it clear it was a comedy.

It's serious, campy, and a comedy, but not a horror. If you want serious campy nazi horror, check out Frankenstein's Army, the movie which coined the term "zombots".

Iron Sky is an excellent movie, highly self-aware.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I hated Iron Sky. Half the jokes are ______ Movie-level "hey look we made a reference to a thing isn't that funny?" only even worse because thanks to crowdfunding it took them years to actually release the movie so you get a bunch of stale references to Sarah Palin and the iPad.

Iron Sky has a great premise and does absolutely nothing with it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I just realized Frankenstein's Army is by the guy who tried to get this movie made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-pQmQw7t8

I'm going to add it to my Netflix list now.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just realized Frankenstein's Army is by the guy who tried to get this movie made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-pQmQw7t8

I'm going to add it to my Netflix list now.

Yeah. I don't like horror movies but I was really into the Worst Case Scenario trailer and concept.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Malloreon posted:

You've probably seen it but check out Dead Snow

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Opopanax posted:

You've probably seen it but check out Dead Snow

I have, but thanks for the recommendation. It was GREAT, and exactly the tone I wanted for Iron Sky.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Half the jokes are ______ Movie-level
What does this even mean?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

coyo7e posted:

I'm assuming Not Another Teen, Scary, Dance, etc.

AKA poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

coyo7e posted:

Well usually people mean movies made by two men named Seltzer and Friedberg which consist heavily of simply referencing other movies and pretending that constitutes a joke. You may know them from Date Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. They often confuse the work of these two gentlemen with the (blank) Movie franchise as a whole. In fact, Scary, Not Another Teen, and Superhero movies were not their projects, and while being of variable quality, do make non-reference jokes.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

coyo7e posted:

If you want serious campy nazi horror, check out Frankenstein's Army

Or (but I'm not sure it's on Netflix) Nazis At The Center Of The Earth, starring Gary Busey's younger clone son, and Robo-Hitler.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ Pretty sure it is, sounds way familiar. Was Hitler a head in a jar with terrible emoting?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well usually people mean movies made by two men named Seltzer and Friedberg which consist heavily of simply referencing other movies and pretending that constitutes a joke. You may know them from Date Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. They often confuse the work of these two gentlemen with the (blank) Movie franchise as a whole. In fact, Scary, Not Another Teen, and Superhero movies were not their projects, and while being of variable quality, do make non-reference jokes.
Yeah I'm aware of that style of comedy and those movies I had just never heard of an "_____ Movie" being a descriptor for anything before. I never paid them enough attention to even tie the naming habit together.

I personally agree that referential comedy is crap intended to make idiots feel smug that they can tie the high points of their wasted media upbringing together. But I also consider Family Guy and ton of other stuff to be in the same boat as Meet the Spartans, just that some are smugger about it. They sure aren't parody.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Apr 24, 2014

Azure Dementist
Jul 9, 2010

Nightmares and abominations are a girl's best friends

Captain Trips posted:

Or (but I'm not sure it's on Netflix) Nazis At The Center Of The Earth, starring Gary Busey's younger clone son, and Robo-Hitler.

It's on there. I'd say it is objectively amazing, but nothing is certain with science.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
The Inbetweeners Season 3 is finally up, if you like watching that sort of thing.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Anime fans Fate/Zero is now on Netflix! Rejoice!

For non anime fans, this show is about a secret war for the Holy Grail, fought by mages using old heroes from myth, legend, and history as servants to fight for them. This is actually a prequel to Fate/Stay Night and while I personally think it's better to experience Stay Night first (Zero lays things out for you that Stay Night hides and lets you try to discover on your own) there's no mistaking that Zero has better quality animation, and a pretty decent voice acting cast. Also they are remaking Stay Night anyway so go ahead and watch Zero and wait for the better version.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
It's also important to note that if you're watching the anime above, try and do it alone. In the dark. Away from people.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Inudeku posted:

It's also important to note that if you're watching the anime above, try and do it alone. In the dark. Away from people.

How else are you supposed to watch anime?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Inudeku posted:

Isn't that the default status of all anime fans anyway?

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
To an extent. This series in particular is cringe worthy some times. I'm so glad I got my anime watching out when I was a weird 15 year old.

I'd still watch Dragon Ball Z though.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Just finished watching Mortified Nation. It's a documentary about a live show called "Mortified," where people get on stage and read embarrassing diary entries from their adolescence to an audience. Stage scenes are dispersed with background of the show's creation and creators. It was a good watch, funny and sweet. And I got tickets to see a Mortified event in a couple of weeks! :buddy:

There's also 10 episodes of The Mortified Sessions on Netflix in which celebrities share embarrassing stuff but I haven't watched that.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I'm assuming Not Another Teen, Scary, Dance, etc.

AKA poo poo.

Not Another Teen Movie a decent, but not great parody of 80 and 90s teen movies. It's no Airplane, but it holds up fairly well against similar films like Top Secret or I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

thrakkorzog has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Apr 27, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

I marathoned through the ten episodes of The Mortified Sessions and they weren't that great. Firstly, it's one-on-one interviews instead of readings done in front of a live audience. And secondly, it didn't focus on embarrassing things from youth, it was more of an exploring of what the person was going through at that time in their life and how it got them to where they are now.

My favorite was a dual interview with Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally. But if you're not already interested in the celebrity being interviewed the show isn't worth the time.

I'm excited to go to a real Mortified event!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Inudeku posted:

To an extent. This series in particular is cringe worthy some times. I'm so glad I got my anime watching out when I was a weird 15 year old.

I'd still watch Dragon Ball Z though.

I'll petition to get DBZ Abridged on Netflix.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Finally got around to watching Over The Top last night after finding it on Amazon Prime.

Wonderfully horrible, like Troll 2. Every scene is delightfully lovely, and it's never boring.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Can I get some recommendations for recent-ish (let's say since 2000) paranormal or horror things that aren't shakycam/found footage? Please no vampires/werewolves/other monsters unless there's something really interesting about the way they're shown. The same goes for slasher/serial killer films. Documentaries about creepy poo poo work too. So do psychological thrillers. I guess I want to watch a movie or show that leaves me wondering what the overall reason for the events is as much as one that scares or unnerves me. I can watch things on Amazon Instant Video too, if they're free for Prime members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

LivesInGrey posted:

Can I get some recommendations for recent-ish (let's say since 2000) paranormal or horror things that aren't shakycam/found footage? Please no vampires/werewolves/other monsters unless there's something really interesting about the way they're shown. The same goes for slasher/serial killer films. Documentaries about creepy poo poo work too. So do psychological thrillers. I guess I want to watch a movie or show that leaves me wondering what the overall reason for the events is as much as one that scares or unnerves me. I can watch things on Amazon Instant Video too, if they're free for Prime members.

Is language a deal breaker? Spanish horror films I've found, in general, are really interesting. The Orphanage stuck with me for a while, as did Pan's Labyrinth. It's "found footage" but the original [REC] was actually well done.

Suicide Circle/Suicide Club from Japan is really weird/creepy too.

(edit)

I have no idea if any of these are Netflix or Prime, they were just what first came to mind.

• Locked thread