Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I just had a random thought that is utterly beautiful and soul-crushingly sad, because there is no way it could ever happen.

Shazam: Directed by Brad Bird.
And yes, they would bring back Rob Lowe to play him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Shots fired :getin:

quote:

It's not exactly unusual for superheroes to team up. Spider-Man and the X-Men have done so on numerous occasions in the comics, so it should come as no surprise that they are doing so again - sort of - on the big screen. But surprise! There is an X-Men: Days Of Future Past clip in the credits of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which marks a possible new era of collaboration between competing studios with Fox and Sony working together.

Now this isn't a post-credits sting as we've seen before in the Marvel universe, setting up some sort of crossover between the two worlds. Rather, it's a clip from the X-film that gives us a taste of the action we're in for. We've been told by Sony that the clip will be attached to the film in the UK.

The scene featured sees Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique, Lucas Till's Havok and Evan Jonigkeit's Toad taking on William Stryker (Josh Helman) and his military men. Without wishing to spoil anything, let's just say that Mystique once again demonstrates her formidable fighting skills in the brief segment.

Presumably there have been significant negotiations leading to this point, and the comic nerd in all of us hopes that someone said, over coffee during a break in the meeting, "Hey, how about we get these crazy kids together properly?" At the very least, this could lead to, next time, content being filmed expressly for this sort of crossover activity.

Neither is this the first attempt at co-operation between studios sharing the Marvel universe: there were early talks to have the Oscorp building appear in the New York skyline of Avengers, perhaps envisioning an exchange where Stark Tower would show up behind Spidey. However, this clip is still a step towards a unified Marvel theory universe, which would be unspeakably cool - even if it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

source

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So this is basically "Hay let's build hype. Sony we at Fox will pay you oodles of money if you include a clip of our movie XMen in your Spiderman credits thing like Marvel does to advertise."

And Sony goes "Ok. That'll be wired money."

And then nothing further happens from their end. Tabloids and bloggers freak out and start to hype crossover and build buzz which increases revenue and peeps get blue balls.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear all these dumb companies were colluding with one another, building up a narrative based around petty rights management that gradually makes a collaboration seem like a definite impossibility, until one day years from now when they pull out X-Men vs. Avengers vs. Spider-Man out of their asses and make all the money in the world.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 16, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gatts posted:

So this is basically "Hay let's build hype. Sony we at Fox will pay you oodles of money if you include a clip of our movie XMen in your Spiderman credits thing like Marvel does to advertise."

And then nothing further happens from their end. Tabloids and bloggers freak out and start to hype crossover and build buzz which increases revenue and peeps get blue balls.

Of definitely. But I find it interesting that Fox and Sony would start to market together, I'm sure neither would be too pressed to work together to take a chunk of money from Disney.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
This isn't just advertising hype at all and is totally setting up a Peter, Johnny, and Bobby movie in the near future. I'm going to write letters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Devo posted:

This isn't just advertising hype at all and is totally setting up a Peter, Johnny, and Bobby movie in the near future. I'm going to write letters.

Would mark the gently caress out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dexo posted:

Would mark the gently caress out.

Would we get this?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got ASM2 and DoFP trailers in front of Winter Soldier, this doesn't seem hugely different. If it was more than a clip that'd be one thing, but this definitely seems overblown

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Would we get this?

We have that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Opopanax posted:

I got ASM2 and DoFP trailers in front of Winter Soldier, this doesn't seem hugely different. If it was more than a clip that'd be one thing, but this definitely seems overblown

Those aren't contained within the running time of the film itself. Also, I thought which trailers were shown before the movie was largely a decision of the theater itself, isn't it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

That does not exist. No one would be stupid enough to cancel a great Spider-man cartoon and replace it with an awful one.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ufarn posted:

The scoring of that trailer is as generic as those Empire-cover photoshops.

They really don't care about hyping this, do they. :smith:

Um.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR_HWMzgyc

Granted, it's just a fragment of the song, and it doesn't cover the whole trailer, but did you really just call Led Zeppelin generic?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Like every single success counter to the narrative that female action leads don't sell let me assure you that "That's a fluke" is what Hollywood thinks about Hunger Games.

It's really sad that some guy crunched a bunch of numbers and proved Hollywood wrong but they'll probably give about 0.002 shits about it, anyway.

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm not sure how invested DC is in Shazam. It seems like Geoff Johns is the only writer who's particularly interested in him, and pre-New 52, Black Adam was a much bigger character while Dan DiDio was talking about how Captain Marvel "doesn't fit in".

Of course Captain Marvel didn't fit in, what does a happy-go-lucky kid whose alter ego embodies an honest, straightforward hope for the best have to do with Didio's DC? You can't sell gritty, morose melodramatic meat-grinders with some joyful hero like that!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theflyingorc posted:

Those aren't contained within the running time of the film itself. Also, I thought which trailers were shown before the movie was largely a decision of the theater itself, isn't it?
I think it's because these are still Marvel properties, even if they are not under the Marvel Studios banner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's just films that feature women though, not leads.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a feeling Marvel cares a lot less about sales of books and things like that if they are making GotG their big summer movie, and the movie after Avengers 2 is Ant-Man, a character that's been pretty much absent from comics for ages.

If anyone is going to make a female lead superhero movie, Marvel would be who I'd put my money on.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm happy Marvel's been taking gradual risks. First you have Iron-Man, then Thor, then AVengers, then GOTG, then Ant-Man.

Contrast that with DC putting Batman in everything because he's the only consistent hit they have because they push him so much because he's their only consistent hit :psyduck:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it's because these are still Marvel properties, even if they are not under the Marvel Studios banner.

How exactly is that arranged? e.g. Does Marvel benefit directly from Spiderman movies? I imagine they see some indirect benefit in comic sales/action figure sales (?)/tie-ins? Do they really have an incentive to "root against" X-men and Spiderman the way people sometimes describe it, beyond the potential of recovering the IP rights?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm happy Marvel's been taking gradual risks. First you have Iron-Man, then Thor, then AVengers, then GOTG, then Ant-Man.

Contrast that with DC putting Batman in everything because he's the only consistent hit they have because they push him so much because he's their only consistent hit :psyduck:

They did make Jonah Hex.

And there's also The Losers, and Red.

DC is either Batman or obscure. No middle ground.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

McSpanky posted:

It's really sad that some guy crunched a bunch of numbers and proved Hollywood wrong but they'll probably give about 0.002 shits about it, anyway.
Passing the Bechdel test is not even close to having a female protagonist.

In fact, I'd say that's more of a victory for movies that have good writing with realistic characters than it is a victory for feminism.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Passing the Bechdel test is not even close to having a female protagonist.

In fact, I'd say that's more of a victory for movies that have good writing with realistic characters than it is a victory for feminism.

If you read the article, he used that simply to have a basic quantifiable measurement by which to process over 1600 films instead of some subjective measure like "does this film respect women?" that could be nitpicked to death. It's the first categorical study of its kind ever, he intentionally cast a wide net to keep things simple.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

McSpanky posted:

If you read the article, he used that simply to have a basic quantifiable measurement by which to process over 1600 films instead of some subjective measure like "does this film respect women?" that could be nitpicked to death. It's the first categorical study of its kind ever, he intentionally cast a wide net to keep things simple.

A more rigorous solution being difficult does not make a less rigorous solution correct.

My entire objection is that it isn't rigorous enough to make the claims you're making, not that it isn't a worthwhile study or that no information can be pulled out of it. It just says absolutely nothing about whether the movie-going public is interested in seeing a superhero movie with a female protagonist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

A more rigorous solution being difficult does not make a less rigorous solution correct.

My entire objection is that it isn't rigorous enough to make the claims you're making, not that it isn't a worthwhile study or that no information can be pulled out of it. It just says absolutely nothing about whether the movie-going public is interested in seeing a superhero movie with a female protagonist.

Okay, let me rephrase my original post: "Some guy crunched a bunch of numbers that shows that, if some studio did make a(nother) superhero movie with a female protagonist, the fact that it has a female protagonist would not in itself be a relevant factor of its subsequent potential success or failure, despite the prevailing Hollywood "wisdom" to the contrary. Although this study didn't examine the superhero/action genre in particular, it did include them by default in its findings as it examined a broad cross-section of motion pictures' financial performances throughout the last 24 years. Hollywood executives are unlikely to take these conclusions into account, regardless." Has sufficient :spergin: been delivered now?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

McSpanky posted:

Okay, let me rephrase my original post: "Some guy crunched a bunch of numbers that shows that, if some studio did make a(nother) superhero movie with a female protagonist, the fact that it has a female protagonist would not in itself be a relevant factor of its subsequent potential success or failure, despite the prevailing Hollywood "wisdom" to the contrary. Although this study didn't examine the superhero/action genre in particular, it did include them by default in its findings as it examined a broad cross-section of motion pictures' financial performances throughout the last 24 years. Hollywood executives are unlikely to take these conclusions into account, regardless." Has sufficient :spergin: been delivered now?

No, because nothing about that study in any way dealt with protagonists. Thor meets the Bechdel test, because Natalie Portman and that other girl discuss science, but it's obvious that the success of Thor tells you nothing about whether audiences would accept a female protagonist in their superhero movie!

Again, I'm not saying that executives are right (I suspect that they are correct that it will have a negative effect, but that they greatly overestimate the size of that effect), but simply that there is nothing in the study you linked that disproves anything. It is not :spergin: to say that the conclusions you're reaching aren't supported by your data!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gatts posted:

Fox is getting it for free. Because Marc Webb had to back out of a Fox movie. There's no crossovers happening.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/the-secret-deal-behind-spider-man-2-plugging-the-x-men-exclusive-1201158216/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Deadpool posted:

Fox is getting it for free. Because Marc Webb had to back out of a Fox movie. There's no crossovers happening.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/the-secret-deal-behind-spider-man-2-plugging-the-x-men-exclusive-1201158216/

Lame studio favor is lame. I just wish Disney would buy Fox and Sony somehow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electromax posted:

How exactly is that arranged? e.g. Does Marvel benefit directly from Spiderman movies? I imagine they see some indirect benefit in comic sales/action figure sales (?)/tie-ins? Do they really have an incentive to "root against" X-men and Spiderman the way people sometimes describe it, beyond the potential of recovering the IP rights?
Without knowing the details of the contracts between Marvel and Sony/Fox, there's no real way to know. We know that there's usually a small, unsustained uptick in comic sales around the release of a related movie, and there's probably a similar increase in collection sales since stores tend to highlight related books. Marvel probably gets no direct money from the studios beyond whatever their licensing fees are, though, because Hollywood accounting ensures that no movie has ever made any profit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

Lame studio favor is lame. I just wish Disney would buy Fox and Sony somehow.

I wouldn't mind some studio wrangling to get Spidey into the Marvel movies, but I believe that the X-Men should just be their own separate thing. I feel that way about it in the comics as well. I just think it works better that way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I wouldn't mind some studio wrangling to get Spidey into the Marvel movies, but I believe that the X-Men should just be their own separate thing. I feel that way about it in the comics as well. I just think it works better that way.

Yeah, its kind of easier to believe that mutants would be feared and hated when there aren't a bunch of other superheroes running around.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I feel like the movies being a license to print money gives them the freedom to do some different things with the actual books. A book that doesn't take off isn't going to drown them in red ink. Or it could mean keeping a quality low sale book out there because the movie about the raccoon made 300 million domestic.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

Um.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR_HWMzgyc

Granted, it's just a fragment of the song, and it doesn't cover the whole trailer, but did you really just call Led Zeppelin generic?

Could be worse. The first thought I had was "wait, Puff Daddy?". FYI I am also an idiot.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Without knowing the details of the contracts between Marvel and Sony/Fox, there's no real way to know. We know that there's usually a small, unsustained uptick in comic sales around the release of a related movie, and there's probably a similar increase in collection sales since stores tend to highlight related books. Marvel probably gets no direct money from the studios beyond whatever their licensing fees are, though, because Hollywood accounting ensures that no movie has ever made any profit.

Keep in mind that Sony and Fox purchased these rights when Marvel was near or at bankruptcy so they probably got a very favorable deal. There's been some re-negotiations since then (Marvel has won back the television rights for all their characters, for example) but basically, as long as Sony/Fox release a movie of X/FF/Spidey every several years or so, they're golden.

Also there are some major ASM spoilers in the CD thread for the movie.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm sure Fox loves the timing of this:

http://www.thewrap.com/bryan-singer-accused-sexually-abusing-underage-boy

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'd like to see him time travel his way out of this one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Perhaps we'll get a better director for Age of Apocalypse now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
First my childhood now actual children? Singer! :argh:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Perhaps we'll get a better director for Age of Apocalypse now.

Yeah, someone get that kid a high-five.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

If my editor assigned me to write a story about the director of the current X-Men movie abusing his influence to molest a minor, I would put a lot of thought into writing my lead and absolutely never, ever go with this:

quote:

Lawsuit alleges Singer “manipulated his power” to exploit 17-year-old boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hahahaha.

• Locked thread