Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tradition is a lot of it, but safety isn't a "one is better than the other" for all situations. Open-cockpit cars definitely have more risk of injury to impact, but you're trading that with a car that's harder to escape in case of fire / harder to extract an unconscious driver from, plus reduced visibility.

As a driver of a open race car (a slow one, Spec Racer Ford), getting smashed in the face by something is what I fear most. As far getting out in the event of a fire. I got to try on the Ferrari portable F1 simulator a couple of years ago, it's tight but not unreasonable. My cockpit is downright spacious in comparison, getting out in a hurry is not hard. Pop the belts, pull the wheel brace yourself on the roll bars and floor pan cross bar and pull yourself out. However, I have been informed that if I find myself upside down, there is not enough room to crawl out from under the car. Which does not make me feel very well if I consider the risk of fire while upside down.

So, my list of fears.
1) Catching poo poo with my face
2) Roll over
3) Fire

The big fear with open wheel cars (Formula / Indy) is touching wheels. You just get launched into the air.

See, no drama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qsmre3yAZE

VV The guy who owns the car I drive almost had a snake land in his car after was launched by the car in front of him. He said "I'm pretty sure it was dead, but if it wasn't it wasn't going to be happy". Besides, I don't fear spiders, it's a Ford, not a Mazda. VV

Aurune fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spiders isn't even on the list? they like to hide in dark spaces like the footwell, and your car doesn't have a roof to keep them out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

Spiders isn't even on the list? they like to hide in dark spaces like the footwell, and your car doesn't have a roof to keep them out.

That's what the fire's for.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Wasabi the J posted:

That's what the fire's for.

To contribute: as a man who has caught stray tires with his bumper and also lost tires while cornering, tires being anywhere other than on their intended rims is not a laughing matter! Make sure your lug nuts are tight, and your low profile tires are properly aired!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

They also like to hide inside helmets.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

They also like to hide inside helmets.
I'm glad I live in a country where the worst thing I might find inside my helmet in way of spiders is a common house spider, which is pretty big and ugly but completely harmless.

Content related to Fire Storm's exploded battery. Not quite as dramatic, from a 2U rackmount UPS.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You can tell it's clearly a knockoff battery, nice.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A horrible train crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDWrNfyafWY

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

revmoo posted:

Which is curious because the UPS is about five years old and as far as I know the batteries have never been replaced since it was bought.

Anyway a replacement battery pack from APC was about $300 and a completely new UPS was $400 so we quickly decided not to waste any effort on it, junk the entire device and get a new one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Powershift posted:

This isn't 13InchMasochistDetectiveHondaSpecFordRacer so the risk of deadly spiders crawling around is minimal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Collateral Damage posted:

Content related to Fire Storm's exploded battery. Not quite as dramatic, from a 2U rackmount UPS.

I remember years ago hearing about a guy had the UPS at the retail store where he worked start smoking like it was about to catch fire and they had to shut down the place until they got a new one. Until now I thought that was a bullshit story because UPSes just don't do that.

Well, look like I was wrong :stare:

I can imagine that battery in a stuffy cupboard under a counter for years, covered in dust slowly bulging more and more.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I used to work in a place that thought UPSes lasted basically forever. All of the batteries, especially the ones on the servers, were long dead and in many cases were split and leaking. They stuffed them inside cube walls in order to reduce the chance that an idiot employee would kick the test button and make the SCREEEEEEE emerge.

It was especially fun to pull them from under those cubes where they had eaten a perfect replica of the bottom of the UPS into the carpet and then etched the standoffs for the feet into the concrete beneath.

Same job, I watched a Cisco switch burst into flame from beneath its blanket of dust in an abandoned mop closet.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 16, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We did a power off test one weekend at my old work to test the datacenter UPS. All the UPS' reported their batteries as good.

Not a single one held a charge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aurune posted:

So, my list of fears.
1) Catching poo poo with my face

Just shift to driving can-am and you'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGJ0fJN10YY

(someday I'd love to find the full story about this clip but there's nothing on the internet but a snopes thread and a billion copies of the video)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

That's nuts. When I was going to UMASS and working for the IT department I spent an entire summer replacing literally every single UPS on campus.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lead-Acid batteries last about 5 years, then it's time to replace them regardless of what battery tests say. Normally they don't fail quite as spectacularly as Fire Storm's or mine, they'll just silently stop holding a charge. Starting to bulge like that is a trait of Gel/AGM batteries, usually happens when they've suffered overheating or overcharging, but can happen when cells start to fail with age as well.

This is why you should always have a support contract on your main UPS that includes battery replacement at regular intervals.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Which is curious because the UPS is about five years old and as far as I know the batteries have never been replaced since it was bought.

Anyway a replacement battery pack from APC was about $300 and a completely new UPS was $400 so we quickly decided not to waste any effort on it, junk the entire device and get a new one.

For future reference, you can pick up replacement batteries for most UPS makes at a Batteries Plus for around $40 per battery. Most times, the replacement battery has a higher amp hour rating, too.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
He took that deer strike much better than a truck would :aaaaa:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Lead-Acid batteries last about 5 years, then it's time to replace them regardless of what battery tests say. Normally they don't fail quite as spectacularly as Fire Storm's or mine, they'll just silently stop holding a charge. Starting to bulge like that is a trait of Gel/AGM batteries, usually happens when they've suffered overheating or overcharging, but can happen when cells start to fail with age as well.

This is why you should always have a support contract on your main UPS that includes battery replacement at regular intervals.

These were like 15-20 year old UPSes at the time. I suspect the cracked ones were from shipping damage or similar, at the same time we also had a shipping company drop one of our SANs off the back of a truck.

You get what you pay for.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

From reddit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember years ago hearing about a guy had the UPS at the retail store where he worked start smoking like it was about to catch fire and they had to shut down the place until they got a new one. Until now I thought that was a bullshit story because UPSes just don't do that.

I was doing work for a very large company that shall not be named who let their rack bottom APC UPSes go for 4 or 5 years AFTER the battery warning light was on. Inside of a two week period while I was there TWO of them caught on fire and basically burned themselves into the bottom of the rack. I quickly was given authorization to replace the rest, including scheduling an emergency maintenance window (which was usually drat near impossible to get authorization for). I guess two fires + EPOs in the middle of the day was enough for them.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
e: wrong thread

rscott fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 16, 2014

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Most APC UPS systems use nothing fancy for batteries. It's usually a bunch of 12-7 or so Lead Acids. Find decent quality replacements, swap them out, and you're good to go. The main electronics will last a long time, no reason to buy a whole new unit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Aurune posted:

So, my list of fears.

> Post Motorsports Fears

I'm the monkey on a vintage racing sidecar. My biggest fear is getting stabbed in the head from behind while I'm leaned out by another rig that lost its brakes coming into a righthand hairpin after a straight. Or rolling over, maybe.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hillridge posted:

Most APC UPS systems use nothing fancy for batteries. It's usually a bunch of 12-7 or so Lead Acids. Find decent quality replacements, swap them out, and you're good to go. The main electronics will last a long time, no reason to buy a whole new unit.
The problem in my case was that the battery had swollen to the point that it was impossible to get it out with less than taking an angle grinder to the case of the UPS, and at that point the cost in time outweighed the cost of a new unit.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Oh, that battery that exploded? Less than 2 years old and covered under warranty. They are replacing all the batteries on the shelf.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember years ago hearing about a guy had the UPS at the retail store where he worked start smoking like it was about to catch fire and they had to shut down the place until they got a new one.
I worked at a datacenter that had all the room power going through a single UPS that did that. We had to sit in the room and babysit the UPS for a few days.

More on the small UPS side, I had to deal with a Smart-Ups 2200 that had batteries swelled up so much that I had to take off the side panels and use ratchet straps to free the battery so it could slide out the front.

CommieGIR posted:

We did a power off test one weekend at my old work to test the datacenter UPS. All the UPS' reported their batteries as good.

Not a single one held a charge.
Did you laugh? How much did you laugh? And was it really the loudest silence imaginable when everything stopped?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fire Storm posted:

Did you laugh? How much did you laugh? And was it really the loudest silence imaginable when everything stopped?

I snickered pretty hard as the generators kicked on and the servers went from on, to off, to on again and the DBA had a heart attack. We killed two power supplies doing that quick transition from on to off to on again.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

I'm glad I live in a country where the worst thing I might find inside my helmet in way of spiders is a common house spider, which is pretty big and ugly but completely harmless.

Lovely. We had an explosive failure (smoke, fire and compuroom inergen bottles triggered) of two of these battery assys in the space of 3 years on the same chassis. The hardware was no more than 3 years old. Looks like you were lucky enough to catch it in its pre-exploded state. We theorized it must had something to do with current imbalances between batteries in the same pack, since they are being charged in parallel and everything is wired up directly without any electronics like diodes or current limiters. Since no battery is created equally a difference in internal resistance between batteries could in theory create weird current distributions.

Which is to say: gently caress APC for refusing to acknowledge that there might be a problem on their end. This is a picture of one of their battery modules that one of the batteries burned a 1" sized hole into, with lots of spontaneous fireworks:

And now we have one of those fridge-sized units waiting to be installed with a new ship. I can't wait until that thing lights itself up.

revmoo posted:

APC actually uses this exact type of battery and just slaps an APC sticker on it.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 16, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
2" PVC is a failure waiting to happen...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:catstare:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

The failure mode on that is.. impressively symmetrical.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
So technically not a mechanical failure, but I just got done trying to register and smog my out-of-state 89 F350 with the 7.3 in California and it failed on CO by 300% at idle and 450% at 2500rpm. :suicide:

That and my dad apparently repaired part of the emissions system using house plumbing. The guy said it was actually a brilliant hack but CA is anal about all of that system being stock.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I spotted the failure, old vehicle, California.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

tater_salad posted:

I spotted the failure, old vehicle, California.

I haven't had a single car out of the 25 I've owned that failed smog if it was in good tune.

edit: my NX2000 barely passed Enhanced (dyno) smog with a Magnaflow racing cat and a marginal TPS, but it did pass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My solution to registering vehicles in California was to drive cars from the 60's which are exempt from their hardass regulations.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Technically pre 1976 vehicles are not "exempt" but they are not required to be inspected. CARB states they should still have all original (if any) emissions equipment installed.

Regarding your F350, I would seriously consider buying yourself a new cat outside of California if you still have the ability to recieve shipments out of state. This is just in case a new cat is what it is going to take to get your truck in shape to pass. There are few aftermarket cats authorized for sale in California and they must comply with all sorts of nonsense, serial numbers on the cats, and what not. They are also three times more expensive. If you show up with a new cat and still have your out of state plates, the tech will probably not be bothered by it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

I snickered pretty hard as the generators kicked on and the servers went from on, to off, to on again and the DBA had a heart attack. We killed two power supplies doing that quick transition from on to off to on again.

The military uses a well-known brand of UPS in Afghanistan. They never loving worked.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Panaflex posted:

Technically pre 1976 vehicles are not "exempt" but they are not required to be inspected. CARB states they should still have all original (if any) emissions equipment installed.

Though pre-1960 something is exempt. The fact that they didn't have any emissions equipment doesn't matter.
That said no one cares. My brother's 73 Z had to get CHP inspected because it had been parked since 1986. Obviously swapped motor, triple webers, and no real muffler to speak of? CHP officer said "humm, I need to drive this around the block to test it." Brought it back 45 minutes later, said "cool car" and signed off.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
That is the best story. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tsuru posted:

since they are being charged in parallel and everything is wired up directly without any electronics like diodes or current limiters. Since no battery is created equally a difference in internal resistance between batteries could in theory create weird current distributions.

Yep. That's what I'm talking about. If your APC branded battery backup product retails for less than 5 figures it's probably no better than some no-name chinese brand. Ant it's almost certainly using the same batteries.