Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I'm down for MP. I miss the old Monday/Wednesday/Sunday night games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Desyncs are always gonna be a problem. Last time I played MP was after Old Gods came out and if we ever went above 2 speed crazy poo poo started to happen.

Funny thing is 2.1.1 fixed desynchs, and multiplayer was amazing for the day or two it was on that revision. 2.1.2 hit and broke multiplayer, and it turns out that 2.1.3 didn't fix it. There's workarounds revolving around manually inputing the host-ids that I haven't tried though. I'm just waiting for an official patch to roll around before trying multiplayer again.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Strudel Man posted:

Man, there's really no beating Almos Arpad for kicking off basically any gimmick you might imagine.

He died shortly after this, which was pretty much what I wanted anyway, but restoring the Roman Empire in <20 years is pretty ridiculous.

Soooo, how about a step by step guide of this ? I'd been wanting to try (re)forming the Roman Empire , but it seems pretty daunting without some serious powergaming, and I'm not good at that. How do you do it in <20 years?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Soooo, how about a step by step guide of this ? I'd been wanting to try (re)forming the Roman Empire , but it seems pretty daunting without some serious powergaming, and I'm not good at that. How do you do it in <20 years?

Basically, the Magyar start is broken as all gently caress. You start with a pile of event troops, and when you use the special descision to form Hungary, you get an even larger pile based on your theoretical max levies at that moment. This means that if you are clever and conquer as much as possible as quickly as possible (go ahead an break truces; Almos is already kinda old at the start) before forming Hungary, you can pretty easily get 50k+ low attrition event troops, which basically lets you conquer the Byzantines in no time, re-capital yourself in Byzantium, convert to Greek culture, raise a ton of Cataphracts ASAP, then proceed to conquer everything else you need to form Rome.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

So what exactly is needed to get rid of religious unrest in India? The patch seemed to solve everything else, but my Deccan Empire still has a bunch of angry peasants storming around it. My religious authority is at 75% and Hindus control all the holy sites.

Do I just have to start a new game?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Count Mippipopolous posted:

So what exactly is needed to get rid of religious unrest in India? The patch seemed to solve everything else, but my Deccan Empire still has a bunch of angry peasants storming around it. My religious authority is at 75% and Hindus control all the holy sites.

Was this game prepatched based on how youre phrasing it? if so the patch wasn't gonna fix it unfortunately. New games only.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 16, 2014

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

:smith: Yeah, it was started pre-patch. New game it is, I guess.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

babies havin rabies posted:

I'm down for MP. I miss the old Monday/Wednesday/Sunday night games.

OK. You'll need to use the search ID system in order to play it right now though. Again, contact me on Steam, so that we can schedule a good time for everybody.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I'm up for it but it might be best to wait until things get patched.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Eventually I just went through the save file manually and stripped it out. Search for religious_unrest and remove the entire enclosing modifier= { } block. Remember to back the save up first.

There were twenty or thirty instances in mine, so it might take a while.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Autonomous Monster posted:

Though, okay, as a thought experiment: if you take a bunch of Vikings and drop them into Indian in the tenth century, I think what you're going to see is the Norse faith absorbed into brahmanism as just another sect- Norse deities will start to be identified with Vishnu and Shiva

Not necessarily, but certainly more likely by 900 AD than a more swallowed-whole subsumption; most of the relatively big syncretic names were incorporated rather a while ago. Still, it's possible that some of the deities without a particularly obvious existing counterpart in then-contemporary Hinduism might become popular. Heck, Loki might become pretty popular as an Emergency God; the biggest trickster figure* in Hinduism is Hanuman, who's about as low on the totem pole as it's possible to get while still being venerated.

It's hard to be a major male god and not wind up being seen at least in part as an aspect of Vishnu or Shiva, though.

* - not counting Mohini, who's incredibly interesting but is pretty emphatically an aspect of Vishnu in most of her associations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't need RoI to enjoy the new Decadence changes yes?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

fool_of_sound posted:

Basically, the Magyar start is broken as all gently caress. You start with a pile of event troops, and when you use the special descision to form Hungary, you get an even larger pile based on your theoretical max levies at that moment. This means that if you are clever and conquer as much as possible as quickly as possible (go ahead an break truces; Almos is already kinda old at the start) before forming Hungary, you can pretty easily get 50k+ low attrition event troops, which basically lets you conquer the Byzantines in no time, re-capital yourself in Byzantium, convert to Greek culture, raise a ton of Cataphracts ASAP, then proceed to conquer everything else you need to form Rome.
I didn't find that I had enough retinues to rely upon, actually, that early on. What I did have, I put into skirmish retinues - the biggest time sink in an invasion isn't the battles, it's the part where you have to take control of the capital of each province in order to get (direct) control of it, so being able to assault quickly and successfully is critical.

You also definitely do not want to convert to Greek culture, since that would take away your tribal invasion CB. Rather, you stay as tengri hungarian and keep invading until you've taken at least 80% of the de jure Byzantine Empire, and everything you need to reform the Roman - basically, Italy, and sweeping the coast up to the duchy of Tunis. Somewhere along the way, you pick up a Christian concubine. Then, when you have everything you need, you convert to christianity via the concubine, usurp the Byzantine throne, and reform the Roman empire.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eventually I just went through the save file manually and stripped it out. Search for religious_unrest and remove the entire enclosing modifier= { } block. Remember to back the save up first.

There were twenty or thirty instances in mine, so it might take a while.

Thanks man - it was tedious but worked perfectly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Old Gods start does seem to be mostly governed by whoever gets the most event troops.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Gort posted:

The Old Gods start does seem to be mostly governed by whoever gets the most event troops.
Yup, pretty much. If I were facing down Almos I'd basically consider it the biggest bullshit ever.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Gort posted:

The Magyars get a really good doomstack in that start, something like 8000 troops. Fun for a while but playing around with troops is such a drag in this game.

e; Just realized someone on this same page already mentioned this, must read before post

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

I really dislike the event troops and wish there were some other system for that, like maybe doubling levy sizes but having them replenish exceptionally slowly.

Event troops make sense for mongols because they represent incoming armies, but I don't see them as a good representation of "tribal" societies' warriors.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Toadsniff posted:

The Magyars get a really good doomstack in that start, something like 8000 troops. Fun for a while but playing around with troops is such a drag in this game.
Their first stack is nothing compared to what they get for forming Hungary. It seems to be a pretty consistent 3x18000. Saw that result twice, at least.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

fool_of_sound posted:

The Magyar start is broken as all gently caress because if you perform the form Hungary decision while paused and don't click on the popup the button does not disappear, you can give yourself infinite gold, prestige and troops the second you finish that war.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I tried out the Magyar thing just to see if I could grasp the basics of large-scale warfare, and I have to say I got my poo poo stomped in by Bulgaria. Thousands of troops at my disposal, I manage to occupy two counties before their stack half my size comes in and utterly wrecks me. I had my flanks micromanaged, I have good commanders, even fought in an area that didn't convey huge penalties to either side. My stack of about 8k got wrecked by a stack of 4k and then it's back to a thousand odd troops in my homeland that can't stand against the weight. I lose the war.

Am I seriously that bad at managing troops? That seems to be my sticking point, even if I have upgraded holdings and am controlling a fair-sized demesne, I simply do not have an army that can stand against anyone. Besides this Magyar trial, the best I've got is a maximum of 2.6k in my Oman game which is utterly dwarfed by pretty much anyone else, even some of the much smaller sheikdoms around me.

I know it sounds like I'm really harping on this aspect but it's just getting a touch frustrating that I can't seem to manage an army to save my life.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Antinumeric posted:

The Magyar start is broken as all gently caress because if you perform the form Hungary decision while paused and don't click on the popup the button does not disappear, you can give yourself infinite gold, prestige and troops the second you finish that war.

How is that any more broken than bringing up the cheat window and typing 'prestige'/'cash' (to hire mercenaries)?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've come back to CK2 after I saw that RoI is out. For some reason the Ironman autosave has become REALLY obnoxious. So much that I don't really enjoy playing it anymore. :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is there any easy way (that does not requires a new game) to mod the game allow woman to hold council positions in a specific religion (orthodox, in my case)?

And/or to allow "absolute cognatic" in russian culture.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

So it already went away when I reloaded a save, but is there anything in particular that causes all other rulers to be hostile / at war with you but not actually be listed as at war with you? Was unable to hire any mercenaries / holy orders, if my vassals went on any sort of conquest they would also be hostile to me, every adventurer host was hostile towards me, etc.

It was pretty funny and I'd like to try recreating it. Happened after I succeeded in the invasion of Ruthenia while an adventurer and about four revolts were simultaneously trying to take it.

Chumppell fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 16, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Techno Remix posted:

I tried out the Magyar thing just to see if I could grasp the basics of large-scale warfare, and I have to say I got my poo poo stomped in by Bulgaria. Thousands of troops at my disposal, I manage to occupy two counties before their stack half my size comes in and utterly wrecks me. I had my flanks micromanaged, I have good commanders, even fought in an area that didn't convey huge penalties to either side. My stack of about 8k got wrecked by a stack of 4k and then it's back to a thousand odd troops in my homeland that can't stand against the weight. I lose the war.

Am I seriously that bad at managing troops? That seems to be my sticking point, even if I have upgraded holdings and am controlling a fair-sized demesne, I simply do not have an army that can stand against anyone. Besides this Magyar trial, the best I've got is a maximum of 2.6k in my Oman game which is utterly dwarfed by pretty much anyone else, even some of the much smaller sheikdoms around me.

I know it sounds like I'm really harping on this aspect but it's just getting a touch frustrating that I can't seem to manage an army to save my life.

:pwn: Do you have commanders in charge of each flank? Are you playing on Very Hard? Are you attacking over a river into the mountains? Honestly I messed around with playing the matchup as Bulgaria, managed to hire enough mercs to have equal troop #s, and got them to attack me into hills (no mountains, no river crossing) and still got my poo poo kicked in because the Magyars start with way better troop composition (I'd have to check but I'd imagine it's because of horse archers). Your 8k was your entire army, right? You weren't, like, assaulting the first few holdings and taking unnecessary casualties? (Also don't take anything beyond the top level holding in each county -- occupying that counts as occupying the whole thing for the invasion CB.)

Oman is a hard start unless you convert to Sunni when you inevitably get holy warred, though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is there any easy way (that does not requires a new game) to mod the game allow woman to hold council positions in a specific religion (orthodox, in my case)?

Yeah just add culture=Russian to the succession law and councilor decisions

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yes, you can make a mod with those changes and resume a game that was started without that mod. It won't be an issue. If you don't mod yourself and can wait til Sunday/Monday I can write one up for you, else someone else may be able to jump in and help you out. It's really not that difficult, though, just poke around common/succession_laws.txt or whatever it is.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Allyn posted:

:pwn: Do you have commanders in charge of each flank? Are you playing on Very Hard? Are you attacking over a river into the mountains? Honestly I messed around with playing the matchup as Bulgaria, managed to hire enough mercs to have equal troop #s, and got them to attack me into hills (no mountains, no river crossing) and still got my poo poo kicked in because the Magyars start with way better troop composition (I'd have to check but I'd imagine it's because of horse archers). Your 8k was your entire army, right? You weren't, like, assaulting the first few holdings and taking unnecessary casualties? (Also don't take anything beyond the top level holding in each county -- occupying that counts as occupying the whole thing for the invasion CB.)

Oman is a hard start unless you convert to Sunni when you inevitably get holy warred, though.

It was pretty much my entire army, the event troops plus the ones I could raise from myself and vassals. I did have commanders on each flank (at least ones I thought were good). It's probably just horrid luck on my part, I know I've seen battles where I was down and managed a comeback so maybe I just got hit hard a couple times in a row. I was sticking around long enough to capture every holding instead of just the top one, so maybe I was just lingering too much.

No assaults on the holdings, I learned that lesson when I first got the game. I thought you didn't do ANY attacking unless you clicked that siege button so I thought my rear end in a top hat brigade was just marching into the county and faffing about. Plus I'm a huge babby so I'm playing on Easy. If there was a Very Easy option, I'd be playing on that.

I probably just have more to learn, I'm very bad at video games. That was more of a hastily written, annoyed rant on my part but your perspective is very helpful (thanks!).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Techno Remix posted:

It was pretty much my entire army, the event troops plus the ones I could raise from myself and vassals. I did have commanders on each flank (at least ones I thought were good). It's probably just horrid luck on my part, I know I've seen battles where I was down and managed a comeback so maybe I just got hit hard a couple times in a row. I was sticking around long enough to capture every holding instead of just the top one, so maybe I was just lingering too much.

No assaults on the holdings, I learned that lesson when I first got the game. I thought you didn't do ANY attacking unless you clicked that siege button so I thought my rear end in a top hat brigade was just marching into the county and faffing about. Plus I'm a huge babby so I'm playing on Easy. If there was a Very Easy option, I'd be playing on that.

I probably just have more to learn, I'm very bad at video games. That was more of a hastily written, annoyed rant on my part but your perspective is very helpful (thanks!).

Maybe your commanders had bad traits? If you hover over the little shield with crossed swords icon on their character page you can see the effects that their traits have on combat. For example, if someone is craven they are much more likely to break, even if they have a decent martial stat.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Techno Remix posted:

I actually thought there was a Very Easy option :shobon: It gives you more morale of armies (while Very Hard gives you less, hence why I asked about that). Really though I think it's almost certainly about terrain/rivers -- it usually is. Those penalties stack up and hit hard. If they're in the mountains then just leave them be, they'll eventually try and go to siege back your stuff which wasn't in the mountains.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

monster on a stick posted:

How is that any more broken than bringing up the cheat window and typing 'prestige'/'cash' (to hire mercenaries)?

Because you can do it in ironman mode.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Allyn posted:

Yes, you can make a mod with those changes and resume a game that was started without that mod. It won't be an issue. If you don't mod yourself and can wait til Sunday/Monday I can write one up for you, else someone else may be able to jump in and help you out. It's really not that difficult, though, just poke around common/succession_laws.txt or whatever it is.

Rumda posted:

Yeah just add culture=Russian to the succession law and councilor decisions

I will try to do it myself, thank you both.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Allyn posted:

I actually thought there was a Very Easy option :shobon: It gives you more morale of armies (while Very Hard gives you less, hence why I asked about that). Really though I think it's almost certainly about terrain/rivers -- it usually is. Those penalties stack up and hit hard. If they're in the mountains then just leave them be, they'll eventually try and go to siege back your stuff which wasn't in the mountains.

Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way. Should I be keeping armies of that size in one big glob or should I be splitting them off? I thought I read somewhere that you generally want to keep them together if they're under 10k and split them only if they're going over that (or if the supply limit is severe) but maybe I should be doing some kind of little fish/big fish thing?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Techno Remix posted:

Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way. Should I be keeping armies of that size in one big glob or should I be splitting them off? I thought I read somewhere that you generally want to keep them together if they're under 10k and split them only if they're going over that (or if the supply limit is severe) but maybe I should be doing some kind of little fish/big fish thing?

I generally only split up my army if the enemy keeps scraping together siege-capable armies of their own, I'm doing a for-serious invasion and need to occupy a fuckload of land, or I'm fighting in some place like Finland or the Levant with garbage supply limits.

As for that loss the game handed you with the magyars, I swear the combat RNG is streaky because every so ofter I'll get absolutely massacred during what should have been a cake-walk battle.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Techno Remix posted:

You almost always want to keep everything together unless, yeah, the supply limit's small. You can try baiting them in with a marginally smaller army, then reinforcing with the rest of your troops, so that you get the defender bonuses, but it's risky because 1) you'll have a constant morale disadvantage, 2) your first army may lose too quickly, at which point you then become the attacker with your reinforcements and you get river crossing/mountain defense penalties or whatever.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Antinumeric posted:

Turns out having 2.31 Million troops breaks the game's math, who would have thought?

My Catholic Vassals are all eager to rebel because some division went wrong and they think their 1371 men is approx. 23,000% of my millions :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

paranoid randroid posted:

As for that loss the game handed you with the magyars, I swear the combat RNG is streaky because every so ofter I'll get absolutely massacred during what should have been a cake-walk battle.

Eh. IIRC, CK2's combat engine is much more deterministic than most Paradox games. A flank does damage equal to the sum of each troop type's offence value for that phase multiplied by the number of troops of that type; the damage is then split between the target flank's troop types, weight by troop number, and each type takes one casualty and loses six morale for every 66 2/3 points of damage taken per point of defence in that phase. The RNG never gets a look it.

The random factor comes in the tactic selection, but in order to get a really bad tactic (it's hesitant commander that always fucks me) your commanders need to have bad traits. Sometimes you get a bad match up and lose what should have been a comfortable victory, but I'm not sure it's possible to lose 2 to 1 without severe terrain penalties and/or having bad-trait commanders.

Unless of course your dudes decided to charge into fifteen thousand pikes in Schiltron :getin:

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I guarantee that it speaks way more to my lack of skill, I probably had bad commanders assigned or wasn't paying too close attention to any reinforcements. Gotta keep learning the system I suppose.

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I'll get this eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Ahhhhhh god when are they going to allow ironman to save at a longer interval than every month

• Locked thread