Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I would also love to try this game before I commit to buying it. Does anyone have a trial code they can spare?

e- VVV Thank you

Vorik fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

genghis.khan posted:

I would also love to try this game before I commit to buying it. Does anyone have a trial code they can spare?
HMTQZLMH4XHNQ26BAA8E

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Funcom posted:

As a Grand Master of The Secret World we invite you to take part in the all new upcoming Alternate Reality Game (ARG), The Black Watchmen!

This fresh ARG is created by Human Equation, who brought The Secret World community The End of Days ARG, in December 2012, and the first Black Watchmen ARG right before the launch of The Secret World.

Hundreds of thousands of players took part in these ARGs, and as a lifetime Member of The Secret World you will get several free and unique bonuses in the new Black Watchmen Persistent ARG coming September this year!

The Black Watchmen Persistent ARG will give you the opportunity to take part in challenging investigations and special missions, and join a community full of ARG fans.

Use the key below to gain access to the following bonuses in The Black Watchmen ARG:

- One year free subscription to the Black Watchmen ARG
- A special tailor made mission about a wall of paper
- Access to the Division 33 exclusive club

For those interested, Grand Masters get free access to the upcoming Black Watchmen ARG by Human Equation - check your emails!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It says a free year subscription though, does this mean that that ARG will require a sub fee?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Azubah posted:

It says a free year subscription though, does this mean that that ARG will require a sub fee?

I believe so, yes. Aren't ARGs usually free? I'm curious if the quality of a paid ARG will be noticably different from a free one.

Sidenote: Hugh you should get on tonight so Sapefa and I can join the new cabal. IGNs are Sapefa and Velox.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yes Funcom that's what I want to do, spend more money on your game.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Ruzihm posted:

I believe so, yes. Aren't ARGs usually free? I'm curious if the quality of a paid ARG will be noticably different from a free one.

Apparently there's something about abductions, persistent ARG and other business. I figure one can at least try it for a year for free, no?

Granolaman
May 6, 2013
I know it's an ARG and it's supposed to be mysterious and stuff, but they better drop some more details before they expect me to actually purchase it.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

I bought this game on sale last year to try it out with a friend, an hour into it he decided that he hated it and I haven't touched it since. Giving it another go. :v:

How populated are the servers right now, is the game still pretty active?

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

So I went ahead and got this game the other week through phoneSteam, not realizing I just got the base game. Should I just wait for the Massive edition to go on sale again?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Baofu posted:

So I went ahead and got this game the other week through phoneSteam, not realizing I just got the base game. Should I just wait for the Massive edition to go on sale again?
The Massive edition content is mostly for when you get up to around Q10 gear, so play through the base game a bit to see if you like it. Then you can buy the packs separately, or wait till the sale.

Also since I'm on holiday I thought I might try some scenarios, and got an yellow grievous augment and now I don't know what to do with it.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Baofu posted:

Nah, a bunch of the Massive edition stuff is baked in now, namely the first four DLCs. The rest are cool, but not necessary until you've finished the story stuff anyway, so you may as well see if you like the game rather than dump more money on it.

The rest of the free stuff is basically the usual collector's edition cruft and junk, i.e. the free potions and starter weapons that you'll be replacing quickly anyway.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

Yes Funcom that's what I want to do, spend more money on your game.
It's not a Funcom game. It's being run by Human Equation, which is the company that ran the other TSW ARGs for Funcom. Funcom's just helping them with the marketing.

Azubah posted:

Yes, that's their plan. Reason why that's different from other ARGs is because most other ARGs are being run as a marketing campaign for something else (game, movie, TV series, etc.), whereas this one will be simply for the fun of it.

I think it's an intriguing idea. I do think the crowdfunding campaign is being absolutely horribly run though.

Granolaman posted:

I know it's an ARG and it's supposed to be mysterious and stuff, but they better drop some more details before they expect me to actually purchase it.
They had a "beta campaign" prior to starting the crowdfunding, that you can play through here, I imagine the full ARG will be more of the same.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 17, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Loving the game still, just started Transylvania. I'm stubbornly insisting on a blood/not-ele build for dps, which is going to be awkward - I might force myself to go AR-Blood for healing, because I really like leech healing in every game.

Are there people on Mumble these days, or is the limited population on awfulchat as good as it gets?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Loving the game still, just started Transylvania. I'm stubbornly insisting on a blood/not-ele build for dps, which is going to be awkward - I might force myself to go AR-Blood for healing, because I really like leech healing in every game.

Are there people on Mumble these days, or is the limited population on awfulchat as good as it gets?

The stat requirements for effective leech healing will make most of the blood abilities not worth the effort, outside of some gimmick fight requirements like HR6 for a cold blooded to help with life burn and Laughter House 4 to help with the insta-gib grenades. A common suggested pairing is AR/pistols for the support pistols brings like deadly aim and those healing boost clickies. I was doing an AR/ele leech so I could bring in short fuse and that passive that pushes it to 25%, plus totems so I can give people a damage boost with that skill level boost thing. I was also using the special Venice signet from Egpyt to give me 20% chance to gain a resource for the secondary weapon. I sure other people will have their own words to add to mine.

As far as chat goes, mumble has been dead the past few weeks I have poked my head in. I still see some of the old regulars on Steam playing other things. So I guess #awful and pubbies are the hold over until Tokyo drops and goons come back for a month before leaving again.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Patch 1.9 is on Testlive now, but it's the boring not-Tokyo part. Apparently they're nerfing ele force and doing something with afflictions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zephonith posted:

Patch 1.9 is on Testlive now, but it's the boring not-Tokyo part. Apparently they're nerfing ele force and doing something with afflictions.

Can we at least see what the AEGIS stuff does? I wanna know if the non-shield features are any good.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zephonith posted:

quote:

* Elemental Force now has a 5 second cooldown after applying its critical hit bonus effect

* Mercurial and Accelerating Augments will now also reduce the remaining time on the Depleted, Shorted Out, and Uncalibrated debuffs applied by Breaching Shot, Short Fuse, and Deadly Aim

* Updated the description of Short Fuse to indicate that it will multiply damage output

* Updated all percentage damage increasing effects to use the same method of damage increase. This change should make damage increases easier to understand and behave more consistently

* Damage over time effects, proc effects, and persistent ground damaging areas applied by players are now able to critically hit and penetrate. Likewise, they are now also able to glance and be blocked. These effects will still not trigger other effects, ie: a damage over time crit will not trigger One in the Chamber, they will just have their damage modified by these hit event types

So, sounds like no more Focus abilities. Glad I didn't reglyph around that. Here's hoping Affliction gets buffed even more.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Honestly, I'm okay with that. The current 'Ele force to 6, consumer 1, focus consumer 2' meta thing is really, really boring and it means I can go back to doing Pistol/Shotgun or AR/Shotgun and not feel bad about not taking Elemental Force. Also liking the changes to afflictions since maybe there'll be alternatives to straight raw damage now.

flea
Oct 8, 2000
As someone completely incapable at making a decent build that doesn't center around afflictions, I approve of these changes.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I am very pleased with that ele force change!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not a subscriber, so I can't go on testlive to check the impact of AEGIS on the actual game. A friend of mine is, though, so I'll have to find out from him how good the additional effects are: the 'don't even bother' of low-grade augments, the 'nice if you get it' of good augments/low-grade signets, or the 'get this and learn how to use it' of good signets/aux weapons/a decent passive.

Also, evades are now going to actually appear in the combat log. I'm not sure how much this affects things, but I do know that a huge part of why evade tanks aren't well-liked is because their whole focus didn't turn up in the combat log, so you have no loving clue how good they actually are.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I'm not a subscriber, so I can't go on testlive to check the impact of AEGIS on the actual game. A friend of mine is, though, so I'll have to find out from him how good the additional effects are: the 'don't even bother' of low-grade augments, the 'nice if you get it' of good augments/low-grade signets, or the 'get this and learn how to use it' of good signets/aux weapons/a decent passive.

Also, evades are now going to actually appear in the combat log. I'm not sure how much this affects things, but I do know that a huge part of why evade tanks aren't well-liked is because their whole focus didn't turn up in the combat log, so you have no loving clue how good they actually are.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any real difference between defense and evade. I started loving around with it on live and didn't have any noticeable difference at staying alive.

It would have been nice to have that raid bracelet that buffs evade though.

gently caress you Cheston. You don't even tank.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

Hey, I'm tired of DPSing again! Tank Cheston is coming back! except for in all of those dungeons where I usually leech

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

No love for me? I have like 3 of those. One for solo, one for pvp and one for the rare time when I would tank.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Even I have that thing. :I

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hey. gently caress all of you guys.

Especially Cheston.

"Oh only Roxor could use this? Well I'll roll on it too because I want it."

And then goon raids stopped so giving me rights to the next one meant nothing!

Edit: I love reading the patch notes after new content. Just fixes for poo poo that was broken on launch of the content.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Hey guys, my friend and I would really like to try this game out, anyone able to spare two keys?

v0idzer0
Nov 25, 2006
Here ya go:
5S4UNXXKGZXFRN2N44YH

GMLSQKXW79PCPQN2ZQXN

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

v0idzer0 posted:

Here ya go:
5S4UNXXKGZXFRN2N44YH

GMLSQKXW79PCPQN2ZQXN

Took these, thanks.

(kidding)

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

v0idzer0 posted:

Here ya go:
5S4UNXXKGZXFRN2N44YH

GMLSQKXW79PCPQN2ZQXN

Thanks, but we're retarded. How do we use the keys? If I try to make an account on the official website, it immediately asks for payment information and doesn't have any field for a trial key.

Edit: Nevermind, we're just a little slow.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 23, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I did a Flappy raid last night where the pubbies were arguing about whether or not EA was to blame for all the bugs and lovely ideas/content in TSW.

It was magical.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

I did a Flappy raid last night where the pubbies were arguing about whether or not EA was to blame for all the bugs and lovely ideas/content in TSW.

It was magical.

EA-hate is probably one of the most rabid phenomenons in gaming aside from Valve-love.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Though EA has done some lovely things and Valve has done some nice ones. I don't think EA is EAvil or that Valve are gaming's saviors, but SimCity v. DotA2 for extreme arguments' sake.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

How alive is this game anymore? I have a copy from ages ago, but I never got very far into it because of budget reasons. I hear there's no sub fee anymore, so I'm considering reinstalling.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Esser-Z posted:

How alive is this game anymore? I have a copy from ages ago, but I never got very far into it because of budget reasons. I hear there's no sub fee anymore, so I'm considering reinstalling.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't play beyond trolling pubbies in general chat during raids.

Tokyo is supposedly soon which if that's true I would expect a returning population for a couple weeks.

If you haven't done the main story and investigations though you should reinstall because those are good and worth the cost of admission.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I indeed have not! I do remember the game having actual interesting story stuff, so...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Esser-Z posted:

I indeed have not! I do remember the game having actual interesting story stuff, so...

I know I say a lot of negative things in this thread but the actual missions that come out are incredibly fun. Some of them are less amazing than other but the majority are winners and if you paid money for the base game you should definitely check them out. As for the DLC content, I haven't done the newest investigations but I like issue 7 the most. It continues the base story and leads right into Tokyo. Issue 6 kind of connects up revealing that Saiid was behind giving someone a bomb to blow up Tokyo. Issue 5 kind of wraps up the Solomon Island arc.

Tldr; if you buy one DLC buy Issue 7 but ONLY after finishing the story.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

However, issue 6 has the superior aux weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lXXiLbTxM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Well, why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW1CZQJACE0

• Locked thread