Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

epalm posted:

Something is going on with my 2011 DRZ. Once in a while, when I downshift and blip the throttle to rev match, I hear a loud CLICK-CLACK. The downshift succeeds and the bike performs as expected otherwise.

As an experiment, while idling I blipped the throttle a few times like those Other Guys like to do so much at stop lights. If the blip is quick enough, I hear a CLICK just before the standard motor rev sound I expect to hear.

What's going on here? Is the piston missing a stroke?

Are you hearing the auto decompression? Do DRZs have that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does this happen if you blip the throttle but don't shift? I think the first order of business is to determine if its in the drivetrain or the top/bottom of the engine.

Also do you have the stock tensioner or an aftermarket one?

MetaJew posted:

Are you hearing the auto decompression? Do DRZs have that?

They do, but in my experience you only hear it if you blip the throttle after starting it, or sometimes after extended idling.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 13, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yes, the above experiment was run while stationary, without shifting.

As far as I know it's still the stock ACCT.

More info: The bike has about 6000 km on it. I changed the oil last week with Rotella T6.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Sold my KTM, but still itching for another sumo.

The manufacturers' tents at the this weekend's MotoGP race didn't help.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 15, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How? I really can't picture a tire working noticeably better than the power does. It sticks everywhere, wears decent, goes well in dirt and gravel, rain is no problem. Not that it's untouchable, but it is kinda hard to improve on.

Connie's do all those things too but stick amazing when ice cold and wear beautifully in 100 degree track days. They are perfect in every spectrum. I'd goose the throttle on the 690 in the pissing rain pulling out of my drive way through a puddle that would always accumulate there to try to do a dong rolling burnout and they'd hook up every-drat-time. They're great. They also slide a lot more predictably when that's what you are making them do.

You can't go wrong either way but the conniforce's are seriously amazing tires.

You may not see as much of an improvement on a WR250 or DRZ but on bigger SMs or 450's you can over work a pilot power.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone have pro/cons for deciding on a DR650 vs a DRZ400SM? I've heard a lot of good things and bad things for both but nothing definitive. Would sumo'ing up a DR650 be a better idea if I also want to commute (~20miles) down to work on highways because of the additional weight? I'm decent with ratcheting stuff, what I don't know I can definitely learn pretty easily.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The DR650 is, from what I understand, an older and significantly heavier design than the DRZ400SM. It's much closer to the KLR650, in fact, maybe a little more offroad oriented. Depending on what you mean by a supermoto conversion, a sumo'd DR650 might be heavy but otherwise OK, or it might be heavy and not very good. If I were you, I'd either start with a DRZ400SM or, if you want to skip on the sumo tax, start with a DRZ400S and buy some more street-oriented tires, and a more butt-friendly seat, for your commute.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The KLR man speaks troof. Go DRZ400SM. better suspension, more engaging engine, lighter, just better all around.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh yeah, good call. Buy a KLR650.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

DRZ's rule KLR's drool.

Get the DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm convinced safetydance loves the KLR out of some kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

I'm convinced safetydance loves the KLR out of some kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

Poor bastard doesn't even know he's in pain.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It might not be fast, or nimble, or attractive, but it's got a certain lovability only a hideous pig-bike-tank could have.

e. or economical, or good in any way, or...

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

It might not be fast, or nimble, or attractive, but it's got a certain lovability only a hideous pig-bike-tank could have.

e. or economical, or good in any way, or...

As a DRZ owner, I'm pretty sure all of that applies to the DRZ400SM as well.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Yerok posted:

As a DRZ owner, I'm pretty sure all of that applies to the DRZ400SM as well.

You ever ridden a KLR? They're pretty pig like. The DRZ is heavy in comparison to a MX 450 but it's still a lot more nimble feeling than a KLR. Especially if there are panniers and poo poo on the KLR.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I was just kidding. I have a couple friends with KLRs and I wouldn't wish them on anyone :haw:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I didn't mean to downplay KLR's - they have their utility. If you want a dirt cheap, reliable workhorse of a bike they're drat fine for off road / touring on the cheap. I think they're awesome I just wouldn't own one to mess around with like an actual supermoto.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

Anyone have pro/cons for deciding on a DR650 vs a DRZ400SM? I've heard a lot of good things and bad things for both but nothing definitive. Would sumo'ing up a DR650 be a better idea if I also want to commute (~20miles) down to work on highways because of the additional weight? I'm decent with ratcheting stuff, what I don't know I can definitely learn pretty easily.

By the time you sumo a DR650, you will have probably paid more than you would have to buy a DRZ400SM. Also, by the time you spend that money, you're still left with brakes and suspension that cant compare to the DRZ-SM. Not to mention the DRZ-SM makes the same power and will be just as good (or bad, depending on your view) on the highway.

The DRZ is also lighter, better offroad, and an all around better bike.

I say this as ~Suzuki Super Fan#1~, don't get me wrong, the DR650 is a great, tank of a bike, but its in the same group as the KLR650, and the only reason to buy one is specifically because you want a DR650 for the things that the DR650 is good at (carrying luggage over dirt).

Since you are talking about converting it to sumo form and comparing it against a DRZ-SM, you should just get the DRZ-SM. A DR650-SM conversion will cost more and do less than the real thing.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This is what you need to know about DR650s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJMYMC4jxKM

But really, you're going to be much more satisfied with the 400.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
The DR650 does what is was designed for very well. However, the DR-z400 is much closer to a dirtbike than the DR650. It is much cheaper and easier to get a DRZ sm than convert the six fiddy. In the end, the DRZ is a much better sumo.The only 650 that I have seen converted that impressed me was an XR650R-SM (NOT THE "L").

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
A DRZ would probably be easier to resell than a DR650 supermoto. Also, just about anything about the bike has been asked a thousand times on different forums and can be answered reasonably* well by Google.

*I used google to find out what kind of oil my bike likes, and ended up reading some forum where people were discussing the merits of changing its oil every couple hundred miles.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Marxalot posted:

A DRZ would probably be easier to resell than a DR650 supermoto. Also, just about anything about the bike has been asked a thousand times on different forums and can be answered reasonably* well by Google.

*I used google to find out what kind of oil my bike likes, and ended up reading some forum where people were discussing the merits of changing its oil every couple hundred miles.

Rotella T6 since that's what was in it before. Change it every 1000 miles or so (one gallon container will do 2 oil changes). DRZ's actually do like their oil changed more frequently than a sportbike would over the same number of miles.

Rotella is so cheap it's not a big deal to change it more frequently.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Rotella T6 since that's what was in it before. Change it every 1000 miles or so (one gallon container will do 2 oil changes). DRZ's actually do like their oil changed more frequently than a sportbike would over the same number of miles.

DRZ's (and all big singles) beat the poo poo out of their oil. Mine rarely makes it more than 800 miles, 1000 if I'm really pushing it. You can tell on the DRZ because out of the blue the transmission will get all notchy and not want to shift smoothly, then its time to change the oil.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Brought the bike in last night and put Rotella T6 and a K&N filter in to replace the stock oil and filter. Woke up this morning antsy to ride it but this drat cold front killed my chance.

Thursday is still a bit chilly and then I have family coming in tomorrow night and staying all weekend. It's been 2 weeks since I've ridden! :argh:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

DRZ's (and all big singles) beat the poo poo out of their oil. Mine rarely makes it more than 800 miles, 1000 if I'm really pushing it. You can tell on the DRZ because out of the blue the transmission will get all notchy and not want to shift smoothly, then its time to change the oil.

Exactly. It's like those "change oil now" lights in new cars but way less dumb and complicated

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

10000km oil change intervals on my XT660, I just changed it at 6000km and it wasn't horribly super-black or anything, the oil filter was a nice deep tan color. I could probably go the full 10000km, but I've decided to change it yearly, just for regularity since I do maybe 5-6000km per year on average, and oil is cheap.

No change in shifter feel, it was buttery smooth before, still buttery smooth with the new oil.

Not all big singles are lifted straight from 1920s agricultural machinery ;)

E: Of course it helps that it holds like 3 liters of oil, compared to the thimbleful of the DRZ.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 16, 2014

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I meant that I was looking up the weight because I forgot and ended up staring down some rabbit hole of dumb people on the internet changing their unicorn blood based oil every 200mi/ride/whatever because the oil is starting to look dark :v:

Also, never found any rotella. I just use Lucas Oil that I got at the parts store down the road.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It mostly depends on when I'm not working and have free time, but I tend to go about 1000ish now because of that. All it took was one oil change to make me realize how much nicer the transmission feels when you feed it well.
Hauling rear end on the highway with a -1T front sprocket is not nice on the engine anyways.

VVVV Suzuki says something like 4k for a DRZ. I'm just careful because right now I'm wring the poo poo out of this engine every time I try to go anywhere.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 16, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Suddenly the cost of KTM isn't too bad with 3k mile intervals

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

kloa posted:

Brought the bike in last night and put Rotella T6 and a K&N filter in to replace the stock oil and filter. Woke up this morning antsy to ride it but this drat cold front killed my chance.

Thursday is still a bit chilly and then I have family coming in tomorrow night and staying all weekend. It's been 2 weeks since I've ridden! :argh:

It was 31 degrees when I left for class this morning and 45 when I rode back home. My fingers were a bit numb when I parked the bike at 9 AM.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

E: Of course it helps that it holds like 3 liters of oil, compared to the thimbleful of the DRZ.

The DRZ takes between 1.7 litres and 1.9 litres depending on if you change the oil filter, so a little more than a thimbleful :yum:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

epalm posted:

The DRZ takes between 1.7 litres and 1.9 litres depending on if you change the oil filter, so a little more than a thimbleful :yum:

Was it a KTM that held like 1.2 liters total, then?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Marxalot posted:

I meant that I was looking up the weight because I forgot and ended up staring down some rabbit hole of dumb people on the internet changing their unicorn blood based oil every 200mi/ride/whatever because the oil is starting to look dark :v:

Also, never found any rotella. I just use Lucas Oil that I got at the parts store down the road.

It mostly depends on when I'm not working and have free time, but I tend to go about 1000ish now because of that. All it took was one oil change to make me realize how much nicer the transmission feels when you feed it well.
Hauling rear end on the highway with a -1T front sprocket is not nice on the engine anyways.

VVVV Suzuki says something like 4k for a DRZ. I'm just careful because right now I'm wring the poo poo out of this engine every time I try to go anywhere.

It's sold at Walmart. or Advance or wherever - it's not too rare.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Could not figure out why my AP started making the DRZ stumble after I fixed it last season. Took the tank off to look at the adjustment/throttle cables. My O-ring fell off the timing screw, good thing I still have a box of 20 of them. Guess I should probably just safety wire it once I find the timing that I like.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Was it a KTM that held like 1.2 liters total, then?

690 is 1,7 litres, and for bikes 2012 and newer the interval is every 10000 km (6214 miles).

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
It's that time in my life where I buy a new motorcycle. I'm super interested in getting a sumo, but I've never had the chance to ride one before. Anyone in the PORTLAND OREGON area have a sumo they'll let me take around the block?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Christoff posted:

Suddenly the cost of KTM isn't too bad with 3k mile intervals

I'd bet most people never go that far on a single oil change. The DRZ lists something like that too, but it never will make it that far.

invision posted:

It's that time in my life where I buy a new motorcycle. I'm pretty sure I like fun, but Im not sure if I like fun. Anyone in the PORTLAND OREGON area have a sumo they'll let me take down a flight of stairs?

Fixed

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I always went 3k miles on my 690 SM oil change :shrug:

For the above poster I came from a streetbike(s) (gsxr and ninja) and I'll never go back. Outside of dirt it's the most fun on two wheels. In a perfect world I'd have a sport bike and a sumo. What's your budget? Outside of California Portland is perfect for a sumo I'd think.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 17, 2014

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Got around to putting a set of Shiko e705's on the DRZ. :stare: Whoa do they handle differently compared to the trailwings.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Well I am a brrrapper now (wr250x).

Initial thoughts:
  • one thing to read about but amazing just how bad on the highway it is (had to go 4hrs home) even compared to ex250
  • don't know how anyone can ride with bar end mirrors, literally cannot see anything behind me
  • sooo awesome in the city
  • oil filter is just so cute

This will take some getting used to coming from literbikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Infinotize posted:

Well I am a brrrapper now (wr250x).

Initial thoughts:
  • one thing to read about but amazing just how bad on the highway it is (had to go 4hrs home) even compared to ex250
  • don't know how anyone can ride with bar end mirrors, literally cannot see anything behind me
  • sooo awesome in the city
  • oil filter is just so cute

This will take some getting used to coming from literbikes.

Was it mostly vibration or was wind buffeting pretty bad too? I'm curious to hear your experiences on the EX250 too as that will be what I use to lead into eventually getting a DRZ

• Locked thread