Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a!n
Apr 26, 2013

PotatoManJack posted:

So, have the 8 starting teams been confirmed?

I'm guessing:

1. Humans
2. Orks
3. Chaos
4. Skaven
5. Undead
6. Prelf
7. Welf
8. Lizard

Yes they have, and its

Humans
Orks
Chaos
Skaven
High Elves
Dark Elves
Dwarves
Bretonnians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It's not a bad lineup. No gimmick teams and varied gameplay styles, although I'd rather have Wood Elves instead of High Elves and Lizardmen instead of Bretonnians.

I'll probably pick it up if they DLC the rest of the teams, but only if they let us play against teams that we don't own. Otherwise I'll wait for some "definitive edition" that has all the options.

uPen posted:

This thread is amazingly negative about Cyanide, a company which year after year puts out one of the top bicycling games on the market.

Ftfy.

On the other hand, it's a thread about Blood Bowl, and their track record with the IP isn't exactly great.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Let's not get too goony up in here, every one of us stuck with Blood Bowl through like 3 expansions, which were all less flexible and more obnoxious than proper DLC could ever be. We might whine and complain, but fummbl is also not the greatest of things and loses a lot of the fun impact of the game.

The biggest thing will be how much they stay on top of the bugs and general issues, which they did a terrible job of in BB. If they can make it a bug-free experience we can all probably roll with the rest of the punches.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I only ever bought one cyanide blood bowl, Legendary edition.

I will probably not get the new one unless it is way better.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The major pressure to buy the new version will be if/when they close the current servers. Though if they do that before they've released all the teams they're going to piss a lot of people off.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Let's not get too goony up in here, every one of us stuck with Blood Bowl through like 3 expansions, which were all less flexible and more obnoxious than proper DLC could ever be. We might whine and complain, but fummbl is also not the greatest of things and loses a lot of the fun impact of the game.

The biggest thing will be how much they stay on top of the bugs and general issues, which they did a terrible job of in BB. If they can make it a bug-free experience we can all probably roll with the rest of the punches.

I will absolutely buy and love this game if they stay on top of bugs and issues and provide additional content in a timely manner.

They also absolutely have a track record of quickly giving up when it comes to improving their products. Insert comparison to WW2 because they are French.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'd take "buy this team" expansions myself. Pay a couple of quid to get a team that you can just play and not need to get the ones you don't like.

Anyway, the major thing I need to see in this game is a robust system for resuming dropped games. Have they said if that will exist?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Coolguye posted:

lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gonna report you so hard Washout

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Wooper posted:

I only ever bought one cyanide blood bowl, Legendary edition.

I will probably not get the new one unless it is way better.

Woop is truth. For once. I think it's safe to say that cutting edge graphics was never a reason any of us picked up the PC version of Bloodbowl, it's always been about the core gameplay. I just don't see a need to buy this new version (barring a 50% off complete edition on Steam), even if all of the future Goonbowls are ported over to it. I guess an argument could be made for BB2 being less buggy and having all of the missing bits (star players, incentives etc) in it......but do we really think Cyanide is capable of that?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I'll end up buying it if cyanide puts in more lovely gimmick modes (2v2 I'm looking at you)

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I'll end up buying it if cyanide puts in more lovely gimmick modes (2v2 I'm looking at you)
What we really need is a 4 player free-for-all real-time mode.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
When is the sequel to Dungeonbowl coming out?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
22 player one-man-one-piece mode. Each person gets 5 seconds to make their move.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Das_Ubermike posted:

Woop is truth. For once. I think it's safe to say that cutting edge graphics was never a reason any of us picked up the PC version of Bloodbowl, it's always been about the core gameplay. I just don't see a need to buy this new version (barring a 50% off complete edition on Steam), even if all of the future Goonbowls are ported over to it. I guess an argument could be made for BB2 being less buggy and having all of the missing bits (star players, incentives etc) in it......but do we really think Cyanide is capable of that?

Graphics are the one thing Cyanide has over fumbbl besides being more newbie-friendly and Goonbowl-friendly. They definitely captured the spirit of the game visually.

It's been a while since I've experienced any bugs in Cyanide- although I'll admit they took a long time to fix many of them. Once every 50 games or so you'll still find yourself short a player on setup only to have him randomly placed on the pitch once you're finished (or, once in maybe 100 games, they never appear- or someone gets a 12th man).
And not being able to disable dodge is annoying when you're facing Frenzy blitzers.

But those are really the only two gameplay issues that come to mind. The biggest reasons to play fumbbl over Cyanide right now for most people are the expanded teams/starplayers/inducements. And Blackbox is superior to Matchmaking. And team histories/customization options are probably my #1 reason for preferring fumbbl at the moment.

There have been hints that Blood Bowl II is going to have some new ideas thrown in, such as player-trading (or buying/selling, I guess), which could be really fun in a league setting depending on how it's implemented.

Of course, fumbbl is supposed to open up custom leagues sometime in the future too, which would enable stuff like that, sooooo...

Play fumbbl, buy Blood Bowl II if/when it's unfucked or on sale. I've been away from fumbbl and #tgbloodbowl for a bit but once the semester is done I'm sure I'll be playing it around the clock again.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
^^^^^^: Vampires and goblins both still have persistent skill problems that they never ironed out (or even ever admitted to). And they never fixed the bug where if you have a player of your own selected when the opponent ends setup then they do that disappear/reappear thing. (it's not random 1 in 50 or whatever).

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Oh poo poo, I think you found the one reason that I would spend money on this again.

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 17, 2014

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Washout posted:

Oh poo poo, I think you found the one reason that I would spend money on this again.
Dwarf/Skaven or Chaos Dwarf/Lizardmen would be the best combo ever.

Or Ogre/Halflings alt Vampire/Goblin.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Magnetic North posted:

I don't have a problem with teams as DLC so long as 3 things are the case:

1: You can play against teams you don't own.
2: The teams are relatively cheap ($5).
3: The overall game is budget price ($20-$30).

I don't have much hope of a the latter two.

How much did they end up charging in real money terms for additional teams in Star Coach, if you or anyone else remembers?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Washout posted:

^^^^^^: Vampires and goblins both still have persistent skill problems that they never ironed out (or even ever admitted to). And they never fixed the bug where if you have a player of your own selected when the opponent ends setup then they do that disappear/reappear thing. (it's not random 1 in 50 or whatever).

They didn't fix the 'getting your BC wizarded by an enemy wizard causes an instant turnover' bug until chaos edition came out. 6+ months after they patched that bug into the game.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Also there are still sidestep and frenzy bugs that they haven't bothered to do anything about.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Yup, gently caress Cyanide. I'm not rebuying your game for the 3rd? 4th time? I can't remember at this point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Like I said, the big thing will be how buggy or unbuggy the experienced is. If they somehow deliver an experience that is reliable and solid we'll overlook not having all the teams or not having great matchmaking. Goony bitching about preferences etc aside, if the bugs weren't a thing, Cyanide's BB games would be quite well respected.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that an unbuggy experience is unlikely, though, because it is.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If they let me decide whether or not to use kick after I've rolled for scatter on the kick I'll get it day 1.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I'm too goony to like poorly done game by bad game developer.

goony goony goony goony goony goony

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If cyanide didn't sell us three separate piles of buggy poo poo, it would be a great game!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll buy it if a lot of other goons are playing it, because then I'll be able to play those goons. If goons mostly don't buy it, then I won't either.

I don't really give a gently caress about the bugs, a lot of games are buggy and once you identify them you can usually work around them. I don't really care about the cost, either: I paid like $100 for the special edition pre-release fancy box set of Tabula Rasa, so it's impossible for me to make that big of a mistake ever again really. So it basically just comes down to where I am going to go to get bloodbowl games with other SA bloodbowl nerds.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

a!n posted:

Yes they have, and its

Humans
Orks
Chaos
Skaven
High Elves
Dark Elves
Dwarves
Bretonnians

So basically it's exactly the same line-up as the original BB, except without Lizards?

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 20, 2014

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

cmndstab posted:

So basically it's exactly the same line-up as the original BB, except without Lizards?

I think the original lineup was wood instead of high elves.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
No dark elves in original hence dark elf edition.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

uPen posted:

No dark elves in original hence dark elf edition.

Chaos were however in the original, despite the Chaos edition.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I don't really mind the nickel-and-diming, it's not as if BB2 is going to sell millions of copies even if they manage to make a great version of the game. The thing has to make a profit somehow, and if it actually functions, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. They'd just better get the rules and the UI right, because they sure as hell have some past experience to learn from.

You're on notice, Cyanide :colbert:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
[quote="Leperflesh" post=""428541180"]I paid like $100 for the special edition pre-release fancy box set of Tabula Rasa, so it's impossible for me to make that big of a mistake ever again really.
[/quote]

Hey, me too! I was so optimistic about games those days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I did the same thing for the Conan MMORPG. That at least was fun, playing in the goon guild, for a few months until they systematically ruined the game.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I preordered the collectors edition of UT3, suck it nerds.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
More Info:

http://www.game-debate.com/articles/index.php?a_id=2443&game=Blood%20Bowl%202

Considering the amount of dancing they're doing around F2P and DLC plans in this article, you can bet that additional races will be DLC (Spend $4.99 to unlock the Goblin Race now!)

And considering the lack of security on teams previously, this next bit from the article should make you face palm.

One example is the Player Marketplace. All coaches, from all over the world, will be able to participate in the Marketplace system, selling and buying players. Instead of buying and firing generic players on your own, you can join this huge Marketplace and become rich by selling your batch of young promising players or spending all of your team treasury on the star player of your dreams.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I still can't work out how that's going to work.

This one

quote:

GD - A lot of multiplayer games and e-Sports are opting for Free-2-Play models for their games. Is this something you have considered for Blood Bowl II?

GB - I can't answer to this question.

is just funny, and this

quote:

GD - How much time have you spent working with the original designers of the board game, such as Jervis Johnson?

GB - We have some direct contact at Games Workshop helping us to take care of their license. They are providing us with frequent feedback on all of our created assets, but we have more freedom on the design of the game itself. They look at it and give us their opinion, but they also know that we are creating a videogame, a media completely different than the original material they created.

concerns me somewhat, depending on what they mean by "design of the game itself". Feedback on our created assets = They tell us if they approve of the art?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

goatface posted:

concerns me somewhat, depending on what they mean by "design of the game itself". Feedback on our created assets = They tell us if they approve of the art?
I'd be more inclined to think those are more of Cyanide's extra rules that they think are super cool. See also, Blitz mode.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

SirFozzie posted:

One example is the Player Marketplace. All coaches, from all over the world, will be able to participate in the Marketplace system, selling and buying players. Instead of buying and firing generic players on your own, you can join this huge Marketplace and become rich by selling your batch of young promising players or spending all of your team treasury on the star player of your dreams.

What the gently caress, this totally ruins the entire concept of the game.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Unless you just don't use it, of course.

I'm guessing it'll be a league-specific thing and probably won't be a feature in tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Washout posted:

I hate to break it to you but Cyanide doesn't actually like blood bowl.

• Locked thread