Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ok that confirms it. If I ever decide to get an 8 series I'm budgeting for tearing out every BMW electronic bit and probably swapping in a LSx or something. Or just buy a M5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ausgezeichnet posted:

I have no idea why the transmission is so weak, but mine was massively hosed up with only 50k miles or so on it. I used a really good local tranny shop that the BMW dealers use and they did a really clean job.

One of the biggest problems I found with the car was due to the high under-hood heat with the 17 year-old V-12. Every plastic connector in there was brittle as bakelite, so when you took a plug off a sensor you had to be ridiculously careful or you might have to replace a impossible-to-find wiring harness just to get a new connector. I was careful and lucky with mine.

The trans in mine is reputed to be very stout actually - I have an 840, so it's the ZF 5HP30. I forget which one the V12 cars got. I get some slipping when I nail it once the trans is up to temp on the expressway - hammer down, then a BANG and violent jerk as it revs up and the trans catches and goes into gear. It behaves around town and when driven normally though. I've gotten around the issue so far by just not ripping on it on the expressway, although I'm planning to replace it when it goes completely. I just kicked off the wrenching season on it this past weekend doing other stuff in fact. I was planning to make a thread to encompass all of my junk soon, just need to actually sit down and make an effortpost with it all in there.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Galler posted:

Ok that confirms it. If I ever decide to get an 8 series I'm budgeting for tearing out every BMW electronic bit and probably swapping in a LSx or something. Or just buy a M5.

Other than the age-related stuff, I loved the M70. The weak spot is the ignition system. It just didn't generate enough current to make a decent spark at the plug. This caused misfires and errors reading the previously mentioned crank position induction sensor on the plug wire. If I had a project-quality 850 (high mileage, low buy-in cost) I'd try to adapt some kind of high energy electronic ignition to it to replace the 70's era dual distributor jokey one BMW put in them.

I really miss my 850. It was a smooth, classy ride and there's nothing like the sound of 12 cylinders revving up. Like I need to tell AI this, but get a manual (1991-93's only except for the 850CSi) if you can. I recently bought a M6 to try and get that feeling back and it's close, but not the same.

ausgezeichnet fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 16, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ausgezeichnet posted:

I have no idea why the transmission is so weak, but mine was massively hosed up with only 50k miles or so on it. I used a really good local tranny shop that the BMW dealers use and they did a really clean job.

One of the biggest problems I found with the car was due to the high under-hood heat with the 17 year-old V-12.
BMW did have issues with autos of that era because of people thinking "life time fluids" bullshit just started and they were still fiddling with the heat issues. Also, they were bumping up against the torque ratings of the transmissions. That and the whole valve body issue with the 5HP30 would trash a transmission in no time.

How many times did you replace the cooling system on your ride? I know the V8s received slightly stronger cooling systems over their 6 banger brethren. It wasn't a huge improvement, but at least from what I have gathered from AI and just general reading.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
No idea why anyone would get a 850Ci over an 840Ci the M70/M73 doesn't really make enough power over the M60/M62 to be worth the extra maintenance

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

BrokenKnucklez posted:

BMW did have issues with autos of that era because of people thinking "life time fluids" bullshit just started and they were still fiddling with the heat issues. Also, they were bumping up against the torque ratings of the transmissions. That and the whole valve body issue with the 5HP30 would trash a transmission in no time.

How many times did you replace the cooling system on your ride? I know the V8s received slightly stronger cooling systems over their 6 banger brethren. It wasn't a huge improvement, but at least from what I have gathered from AI and just general reading.

I was told that the second gear in my tranny was completely burned out and a bunch of bearings were worn. WTF? I changed the trans fluid pretty early in the relationship - maybe that hosed it up.

The 8 was not immune to failure of the GODDAMN COOLING SYSTEM. I had the radiator and thermostat changed once just shy of 50k miles - sold it at about 75k. The radiator was super cheap for some reason - it must have been common to some other more prevalent BMW at the time. I paid about 200 bucks for the radiator and 50 for the thermostat. 12 spark plugs ran 45 bucks. I also bought what was probably the last parchment headliner for the 8 in the solar system for about 450 bucks.

I had to get the file with all my receipts out to remember all this and I was amazed at all the ignition-related poo poo I replaced multiple times. Six distributor caps (they kept tracing inside), four rotors, two wire sets, two ignition coils - all trying to get a decent spark to the plugs. Strangely enough, anything other than the most basic, single electrode OEM spark plugs would make it spit codes galore. Remember, the M70 was just two 2.5l I6's connected at the crank, so there were two of everything including two DME's. But, drat, it sounded like a sewing machine when it was idling well.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

rscott posted:

No idea why anyone would get a 850Ci over an 840Ci the M70/M73 doesn't really make enough power over the M60/M62 to be worth the extra maintenance

The same reason people spend another 40 grand to get the 760iL over the 750i. Dick waving.:awesome:

Seriously, there's the Nikasil problem with the early V8's, but any potential issues would have cropped up a long time ago.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thanks for all the help BMW thread, ended up with a 08 335i vert w/ 45k miles and warranty till 100k for a great price.

Wish I could have found a 6MT but I'm impressed with the auto and paddle system. It's got novelty. This is a comfy commuter/cruiser for me anyway not something I'm going to auto-x or rail on.

A little over 36 hours now and we're bonding well. Great car.

\/\/\/ it's OK because middle management quarter life crisis

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 16, 2014

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Congratulations on your impure poor-mobile.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the 3 series is for wannabe riche mega-poors, what does having a 1 series make me?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

If the 3 series is for wannabe riche mega-poors, what does having a 1 series make me?

Surf?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Next time please save your money instead of spending $10 to register on a forum. You should probably be using that so you can eat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I think you mean serf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kenshin posted:

I think you mean serf

Yes. That word.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

raej posted:

How long does a CPO car have to be in the shop before I should be worried? I took my 2008 335i because it was shuddering under heavy boost and going into limp mode, and the rear middle seat belt stays latched to the seatback (something they "fixed" last time the car was in the shop)

It's been over 2 weeks now of them chasing electrical problems, replacing a DME and main power unit, tearing the car down front and back apparently and I'm getting pretty tired of waiting.

They called last Friday saying it was ready, and when I asked if they looked at the seatbelt or turbo shuddering, they said they hadn't so they kept it over the weekend.

Also, they got back to me today saying the seatbelt needs to be replaced, but that's not covered under warranty. They won't charge labor, but $127 for the part.

Any advice? CPO runs out this year...

Got the car back after 3 weeks. They tore the car apart bumper to bumper trying to chase some electrical problem. DME was replaced, main power source (?) was replaced, and car was reprogrammed. When they called saying it was ready I asked if they had checked for the original problems I brought it in for (Seatbelt stuck and CEL/limp mode at high boost) and they said no, so they kept it a few more days. They determined it was the Fuel Pressure Sensor. That got replaced and the car was finally given back to me on Thursday.

Saturday night, I got an Engine Malfunction warning and the car went into limp mode. I took it back to the dealership and had them check it out. I got a call yesterday from them saying it was the Cam Lift, but they had the parts and it was covered under CPO warranty, so that was getting fixed. This morning they called again and said that the turbo vacuum lines and tank were cracked, and weren't covered under CPO. The upper lines and tank would cost less than $100 in parts and they are waiving labor, but the bottom lines would be another $100 plus 2 hours of labor ($140 * 2 hours). I told them to just do the upper lines and tank and hopefully that fixes the problem.

TL;DR
Make sure you get CPO, and be ready for maintenance fun!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

And what happens when you spend 75K on a 3 series? :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ya'll are making me really not want to own a turbo BMW with these stories, especially considering E87s and E90s and such aren't even 10 years old yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I keep waffling on the idea of selling one or both E30's and getting a BRZ.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I keep waffling on the idea of selling one or both E30's and getting a BRZ.
Or do that but buy an E46 M3 instead for less money.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Das Volk posted:

And what happens when you spend 75K on a 3 series? :v:

You end up with a damned nice car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Kenshin posted:

Or do that but buy an E46 M3 instead for less money.

That friend of mine with the poormobile mint green M3 sold his Imola E46 M3 for an FRS that he proceeded to dump money into the TRD exhaust, expensive suspension, TE37's, etc. sold it after not even a year and bought an '05 ZCP M3 peasant carriage. When I asked why he sold the FRS he said 'it wasn't as good' as his M3.

I can only imagine what he would say if he'd owned a 5 series prior to the frsbrz

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That friend of mine with the poormobile mint green M3 sold his Imola E46 M3 for an FRS that he proceeded to dump money into the TRD exhaust, expensive suspension, TE37's, etc. sold it after not even a year and bought an '05 ZCP M3 peasant carriage. When I asked why he sold the FRS he said 'it wasn't as good' as his M3.

I can only imagine what he would say if he'd owned a 5 series prior to the frsbrz

If he'd stop wasting money on all those crappy peasant cars, he could probably save up and buy something that's not garbage in a few years.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well a quick search of E31s in Alberta put that idea to bed real quick. Of the six cars listed, all but one are JDM cars (read: zero service history) and the one that wasn't was plastered with the worst fake Alpina badging you could imagine.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I'm on my way to pick up the wagon. Paying $8k for a 2002 e39 with sport, premium and cold weather packages. 110k miles. Passed PPI today but there was one thing concerning me -- very little oil on the dipstick. The mechanic who did the PPI said it wasn't a huge deal and m54s burn oil, but I'm wondering if I should top it off with oil before I drive it home. Would you?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm on my way to pick up the wagon. Paying $8k for a 2002 e39 with sport, premium and cold weather packages. 110k miles. Passed PPI today but there was one thing concerning me -- very little oil on the dipstick. The mechanic who did the PPI said it wasn't a huge deal and m54s burn oil, but I'm wondering if I should too it off with oil before I drive it home. Would you?

Yes, that would probably be a good idea.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

MrChips posted:

...and the one that wasn't was plastered with the worst fake Alpina badging you could imagine.

Want a real one? Got $71k? :eyepop:
https://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/listings.php?id=8410

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

Well a quick search of E31s in Alberta put that idea to bed real quick. Of the six cars listed, all but one are JDM cars (read: zero service history) and the one that wasn't was plastered with the worst fake Alpina badging you could imagine.

If it's the dark grey one, i looked at it 5 owners ago when it was $6500. it's a Japanese car too, and it has an MSD ignition system hacked into it. The wheels are legit alpina wheels, but that's as far as it goes.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

Well, yeah. You're going to have to travel to find a decent one. I had to fly from Chicago to Springfield, MO to get mine. Jumpseated down in the morning, got picked up by a guy from the dealer, took it to the local BMW dealer for a PPI, paid about 95% of what they were asking with three different cashier's checks and drove it 9 hours home.

I would consider these:

Number 1

Number 2

Manual on this one

If you do buy one, get to know Charlie Spear at Gault BMW in Endicott, NY. They stockpile a poo poo load of 8 series parts and are really good at discounting to the faithful.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Careful with the manual. Nice, but the Getrag S6S 560G trans is not available anywhere, new or rebuilt. Getrag is not making more, and internal parts are not available (other than wear items). These were uncommon in the first place - so, if you can find one for sale, it'll be either used ($$$, with unknown history and questionable life left) or a rebuild / NOS that someone has had sitting in their garage or shop. :homebrew: goes without saying.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know how well 16x8 +20 and 16x9 +15 clears on a later body style E30 with H&R race springs?

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone know how well 16x8 +20 and 16x9 +15 clears on a later body style E30 with H&R race springs?

It should clear if you can provide enough camber in the front. Fenders will need to be rolled, obviously. You should look at 15x8s square for better tire selection though.

See also:

\/\/\/ 15x8 ET 20, you could ask Party Alarm in his thread, dude knows lots about E30s

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 17, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What size are those TRMs? Rolling and cutting doesn't bother me.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Kenshin posted:

Yes, that would probably be a good idea.

Yes it was. The valves ticked when I met the guy for the car, and after we went to an auto zone before we went anywhere else and topped it up with 5w-30 castrol synthetic, it sounded great. What a pleasant vehicle.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
My 2002 330ci is acting funny, all of a sudden it stated idling bad (dropping RPMs) (kinda how a bad coil feels), so I dropped it off at a independent BMW shop who diagnosed a faulty pcv pump, changed it and I went on my way. Except it started doing it again today, took it to the shop where it we couldn't replicate the problem because as soon as you turn it off and on it idles fine. No check engine, but the log showed a misfire I'm cylinder one. We changed a coil and nothing happened. We went for a drive and the car pulled strong and felt as good as always, except Log showed misfires in cylinders 4,5,6. He checked the other coils and they seemed fine. After another drive car seemed OK and there were no more codes.

A few miles from my house the same thing (bad idle, almost like it wants to stall) happens, but when you just drive the car feels normal. Again turning it off and on sort of cures it. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy because its so random and difficult to replicate.

Car is auto spoortronic with around 71k shameful peasant miles.

mulligan fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

What size are those TRMs? Rolling and cutting doesn't bother me.

You'll need to roll the fenders for sure. I had issues with rubbing running 16x8s with 225/45/16s. Rubbed in the front at full lock left and right in a couple spots, and the rear in the fenders.

I try to stick with stock size wheel diameter, which is always the challenge I've had on the E30 product.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mulligan posted:

My 2002 330ci is acting funny, all of a sudden it stated idling bad (dropping RPMs) (kinda how a bad coil feels), so I dropped it off at a independent BMW shop who diagnosed a faulty pcv pump, changed it and I went on my way. Except it started doing it again today, took it to the shop where it we couldn't replicate the problem because as soon as you turn it off and on it idles fine. No check engine, but the log showed a misfire I'm cylinder one. We changed a coil and nothing happened. We went for a drive and the car pulled strong and felt as good as always, except Log showed misfires in cylinders 4,5,6. He checked the other coils and they seemed fine. After another drive car seemed OK and there were no more codes.

A few miles from my house the same thing (bad idle, almost like it wants to stall) happens, but when you just drive the car feels normal. Again turning it off and on sort of cures it. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy because its so random and difficult to replicate.

Car is auto spoortronic with around 71k shameful peasant miles.

Make sure your neighbors are watching, and then set fire to it in your driveway with racing fuel and a lit $100 bill. Jam a bottle of Cristal up your rear end and pirouette rapidly across the lawn, flinging copies of Roundel and Griot's Garage at fire personnel when they arrive. When the blaze has died and you are finally tasered into submission, use this quality pavement time to reflect on what sort of leather you choose for your 6 Series Gran Coupe European Delivery.

Other than that, I'd probably play around with the fuel system. Maybe a dying fuel pump or an injector with some loose blockage?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Feel good authentic BMW post of the year.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
What kind of loser proles live within sight of their neighbor's estates? :smugbert:

I could look at tricked out 2002's all day. :fap:.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Friends, I have a problem - the series-snobbery hasn't elucidated the status of Z-cars, nor M-cars. I have no idea to whom I should be bowing / scraping and to whom I may gaze downwards / sneer at. A little help, please?

PS if it helps I'm a poor who parks his car in a common shared lot that isn't even attached to his apartment building. :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sofullofhate posted:

Friends, I have a problem - the series-snobbery hasn't elucidated the status of Z-cars, nor M-cars. I have no idea to whom I should be bowing / scraping and to whom I may gaze downwards / sneer at. A little help, please?

PS if it helps I'm a poor who parks his car in a common shared lot that isn't even attached to his apartment building. :( :(

Z cars are for hairdressers and M cars are for pricks that use hairdressers.