Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nessus posted:

^^^- like pre-Soviet Russia :getin:
I think this is actually useful as an example of the power of corporate interests. A loving tax preparer - not even the National Accountants Council or something - has enough cash to distort the government and make even the Darth Vader-like power of the IRS come to heel. Were that removed tomorrow the IRS could implement this poo poo people are talking about and either pare down in size or put their workers on hounding down actual tax cheats.

Devil's advocate: doing so would eliminate an entire industry's worth of jobs, many of them skilled intellectual labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The best part, in my opinion, is that he's whining about the Federal government's Central Planning program of collecting property taxes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Devil's advocate: doing so would eliminate an entire industry's worth of jobs, many of them skilled intellectual labor.
That is very true in general; for the specific purpose of this thought exercise, the probable targets (people who hate the IRS) would be OK with that. I would use this particular canard in a volley aimed at building support for helping to get cash out of politics.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Joementum posted:

The best part, in my opinion, is that he's whining about the Federal government's Central Planning program of collecting property taxes.

If you don't pay your property taxes, how will you be able to stand your ground? :ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wouldn't the IRS just hire the tax prep industry to handle this new responsibility of theirs?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Wouldn't the IRS just hire the tax prep industry to handle this new responsibility of theirs?

They're already doing it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

skaboomizzy posted:

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III.

[Clarence] Saxby Chambliss

Joementum posted:

An unregulated Free Market Of Property Taxation Rights, being necessary to the freedom of a free State, the right of the aristocracy to keep and levy Tax Collection, shall not be infringed.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Eh, the main thing this would affect would be people with just W2s and maybe 1099s. The kind of people who are serviced by what are basically seasonal workers that the tax company train in October-December the year before on how to plug the right numbers into their software.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phone posted:

If you don't pay your property taxes, how will you be able to stand your ground? :ohdear:

I don't know, but you should probably ask the State legislature, since the Federal government doesn't collect property tax.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

"Albert Carrington." BOOM.

e: Charles Fairchild, Herbert Ronsonby-Smythe III, Alexander Endicott... I could go on all day (and very well might; this is fun)

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lancelot posted:

I mostly lurk D&D, but I was wondering how much interest there would be on a thread on Piketty's book.

Fried Chicken posted:

I would be extremely interested in such a thread

Fruity Rudy posted:

I think that's a terrific thread idea for those of us without enough spare time to wade though the entire book. I'm fascinated by the research but I don't have the bandwidth to get through 577 pages of data.
Thread's up here, for anyone who's interested.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

withak posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Martin Freeman(-on-the-land).

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

withak posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch.

The only person to play Sherlock Holmes with a name stranger than Sherlock Holmes.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So, like a lot of people, I filed my taxes at the last minute last night using TurboTax. I've been using it for years. That's around 80 bucks a year and an hour of my time each year.

I know it was a completely impotent outlet, but whatever, I couldn't help myself. At the end of the chute, I used the opportunity to rate them 0 and provided feedback basically saying something along the lines of:

"As a Californian that just takes the standard deduction like the majority of Americans, I would prefer the IRS do my taxes for me for free. It would save me 80 bucks a year and an hour of my time. Your "service" is a parasite, sucking money away from the dwindling working and middle class of this country."

Anyone else bust out some impotent rage against Intuit last night?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Joementum posted:

Joey Ramone: "Go to hell, you old bastard!"
Mr. Burns: "Have the Rolling Stones killed."
Smithers: "But sir, those aren't-"
Mr. Burns: "Do as I say!"

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

If you make under $58k some companies let you file online for free apparently.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
If you make under 52k/year the IRS will do your taxes for you for free: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I'm a bit over that. Still, that's pretty cool. Do you know what companies? Does this include state returns too?

Going out on a limb -- is Costco one of these companies?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

I'm a bit over that. Still, that's pretty cool. Do you know what companies? Does this include state returns too?

It's not based on who you work for, just go to the IRS website they have a list of like a dozen people you can pick from to run your taxes for free, federally. State typically cost about 8-9 bucks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Swan Oat posted:

If you make under 52k/year the IRS will do your taxes for you for free: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers

Dammit, the poor even get free help on their taxes. Lucky Ducky! :argh:

I'll have to bookmark this for next year

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Swan Oat posted:

Dahbadu posted:

Ashcans posted:

Dammit, the poor even get free help on their taxes. Lucky Ducky! :argh:

I'll have to bookmark this for next year

I posted this link a few pages back, but you can get free tax prep and filing even if you make over $58,000. I chose the H&R Block option and it let me go through the whole process despite being over the limit..
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

State Taxes are not free, but are pretty cheap.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Old James posted:

State Taxes are not free, but are pretty cheap.

I think it varies by state, I free-filed state and federal this past tax season.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yep, I've never paid for filing either state (Illinois) or federal taxes. My situation is just not complicated enough to warrant paying for it.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
With the way the tax system is setup. If you are paying any taxes and you own your own company you are doing it wrong. The deck is stacked so in favor of business owners right now that if you are complaining about federal taxes you are either stupid or lazy.

State taxes are a bit harder to weasle out of though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
California has a free website where you enter the stuff from your federal return and it does the rest for you.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In "Ameridoes as American" news, it looks like Vice President Joe Biden has recently joined Instagram. I for one welcome the blurry pictures of the capital building, his Trans Am, and the selfies with the POTUS.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So in motherfuckers who complain about taxes news, the Koch Brothers are literal cartoon villains. They basically back legislation to ban municipalities from running buses.

Yeah.

quote:

I don't have to tell you who the Koch brothers are. They're the Lannisters of America, using their money and influence to control the country from behind the scenes.

But at least we're allowed to understand the Lannister motives. The Koch brothers are basically messing with laws for the same reason George Mallory messes with mountains: because they're there.

In Tennessee, the Kochs have ruined a public work with an awful law, just because they could.

So Tennessee wanted a bus. A whole system of buses. A $174 million Bus Rapid Transit system to bring people to Nashville. Driving to Dollywood isn't good for the environment.

Whatever. The Koch brothers opposed the bus system because... well it's somewhat unclear why they opposed it. There was some talk that the buses weren't "safe," for bus passengers since the system involved mid-street drop offs. But the hypocrisy of people opposing buses out of safety concerns for the people who want to take the buses is a little beyond me.

There's a "takings" issue. Takings refer to the power of the government to take your private property for important government purposes. They don't "take" it, obviously. They pay you for it, usually a pretty good price. But you can see how Republicans get all "This Is Sparta" over this simple act of government power.

Still, the amount of property the government would have to buy for some bus stops is minimal. It's not enough to justify a multimillion dollar lobbying campaign against mass transit.

Searching around for an answer, I came across this excellent piece by Alex Pareene on Salon. It looks like the Koch brothers messed with Tennessee because Tennessee is a good place for them to express their power:

quote:

“With supermajorities in both houses,” [Andrew Ogles,of Americans for Prosperity] said, “Tennessee is a great state to pass model legislation that can be leveraged in other states.”

So, this is not “the Kochs” doing this, in the cartoonish sense of David or Charles calling up a henchman and saying “kill that new bus line in Nashville,” and then cackling and dipping an orphan in fracking runoff and using it to light a cigar. But this is the story of how billionaires dedicated to advancing an agenda at every level of government can do so with practically no one noticing until they’ve already won.
So the Koch brothers killed something just to watch it die.

That's politics, I guess, but here is the horrible law Tennessee now has as a result:

quote:

This amendment prohibits metropolitan governments and any transit authorities created by a metropolitan government from constructing, maintaining or operating any bus rapid transit system using a separate lane, or other separate right-of-way, dedicated solely to the use of such bus rapid transit system on any state highway or state highway right-of-way unless the project to do so is approved by the legislative body of the metropolitan government and by the commissioner of transportation. This amendment also prohibits such entities from loading or discharging passengers at any point within the boundary lines of a state highway or state highway right-of-way not adjacent to the right-hand, lateral curb line, or in the absence of curb lines, the right-hand, lateral boundary line or edge of the roadway.
For those playing along at home, that means that Tennessee Department of Transportation no longer has the authority to make bus lanes on the highway, and the placement of its bus stops is now being dictated to them by the Koch brothers. That's the law, now. This is like the Port Authority only being able to open the George Washington Bridge if Chris Christie says so.

Later, when the good people of Tennessee bitch about how "the government" can't get anything done, remember that the Koch brothers are writing the laws under which the government is allowed to operate.

http://www.atlredline.com/the-koch-brothers-are-just-swinging-their-dicks-around-1563913478

Of course the top rated comment is whining about how the Koch Bros aren't getting a fair shake. :qq:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The koch brothers have taken any satire out of politics because no matter what you can come up with it is no worse than what it's already happening. They are Saturday morning cartoon villains in the flesh.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is this confirmation that he's running?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

There is an interesting article in the comments of that Koch article about how they support gay marriage, drug decriminalization and isolationist foreign policy. It also says they each donated ten million to the ACLU to fight the Patriot Act. Anyone know how true these claims are?

And their views on fiscal policy are still atrocious of course, but they're not unilaterally evil like I thought.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Speaking of Biden, the conservatives on my facebook feed are going apeshit over Biden apparently saying "it was worth it" at the boston bombing memorial.

Anyone know about the details on this or have a link to the full speech? All I can find are short soundbites a few seconds long, so context is sort of not there concretely.

EDIT: The video that keeps getting linked is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVp2bowIeNQ

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

The koch brothers have taken any satire out of politics because no matter what you can come up with it is no worse than what it's already happening. They are Saturday morning cartoon villains in the flesh.

The Kochs are the guy that tries to close down a community center and gets thrown into a swimming pool or something by Mr. T at the end of the movie.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 17, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bhaal posted:

Speaking of Biden, the conservatives on my facebook feed are going apeshit over Biden apparently saying "it was worth it" at the boston bombing memorial.

Anyone know about the details on this or have a link to the full speech? All I can find are short soundbites a few seconds long, so context is sort of not there concretely.

EDIT: The video that keeps getting linked is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVp2bowIeNQ

I'm guessing "it was worth it" means "flying across the country and spending a bunch of my (very god damned valuable) time was worth it to hear you guys talk."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwQBvYEX5o

Full speech, I think. He really clearly means coming back was worth it. My favorite thing I've seen is this :rolleyes: Breitbart article. :qq: Lieberal Media protecting Joe :qq:

Specifically

quote:

If a Republican had said something similarly stupid and awkward, though, he would have been crucified - because in the media's eyes no Republican ever means well.

Republicans don't get crucified for saying stupid and awkward things that sound like the opposite of what they mean, they get crucified for saying stupid and awkward things that sound exactly like what they mean.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 17, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Magres posted:

I'm guessing "it was worth it" means "flying across the country and spending a bunch of my (very god damned valuable) time was worth it to hear you guys talk."

If that's what he meant he did a real lovely job of phrasing it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There is an interesting article in the comments of that Koch article about how they support gay marriage, drug decriminalization and isolationist foreign policy. It also says they each donated ten million to the ACLU to fight the Patriot Act. Anyone know how true these claims are?

And their views on fiscal policy are still atrocious of course, but they're not unilaterally evil like I thought.

That's all pretty consistent with their libertarian ideology. They don't give a poo poo about any of that so long as they can do whatever they like without any peasants getting a say though dumb things like "laws" and "government". They are unilaterally evil. And they're still happy to give money to people who are against gay marriage and drug legalization and all that if it gets them things that are more important to them, like more money to buy more influence.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If that's what he meant he did a real lovely job of phrasing it.

He phrased it horribly, but now that I'm watching more of the speech it's definitely what he meant and he wasn't thinking and skipped the words "to come down" when he said "it was worth it (to come down) just to hear you talk." The phrasing would have been fine if he hadn't skipped some really crucial words.

The guy is known for being kind of lovely with words :shrug:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Magres posted:

He phrased it horribly, but now that I'm watching more of the speech it's definitely what he meant and he wasn't thinking and skipped the words "to come down" when he said "it was worth it (to come down) just to hear you talk." The phrasing would have been fine if he hadn't skipped some really crucial words.

Yeah I've always assumed that "BIDEN THE GAFFE MACHINE heh" could probably be easily explained by the fact that he was a stutterer and learned fluent speaking in his early twenties, and given the amount of energy and thought he has to put into just saying words correctly probably makes it easier for precise phrasing to get away from him occasionally. This is basically never mentioned anywhere, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Magres posted:

This is a big loving deal.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Magres posted:

That's what I figured as well. I mean, sure he's not exactly a wordsmith but to believe he meant it the other way you'd have to assume he has negative a billion saavy points in the realm of politics & public speaking. Not to mention, you know, the requirement of being a literal sociopath to say/believe something like that in earnest.

It's easy to assume the worst of someone you're generally opposed to, sure, but I think if the situation were inverted and someone like John Boehner said that I would still have the reaction of "yeah, that was probably something well meaning but very poorly worded"

Kind of like "corporations are people"--god I need a shower after defending this--pretty sure his message was "corporations aren't some scary monolith, they are in fact comprised of and run by ordinary people" instead of the "A corporation === A legal human personhood" angle. I am actually okay with that sentiment (though not so much with the sole driving motivation, or the power structure within) because I think a similar thing needs to be kept in mind by other folks in regards to DA GUB'MINT :freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bhaal posted:

Kind of like "corporations are people"--god I need a shower after defending this--pretty sure his message was "corporations aren't some scary monolith, they are in fact comprised of and run by ordinary people" instead of the "A corporation === A legal human personhood" angle.

If you watch the video of it this is what he meant to say and what he tries to say he meant after the crowd boos him. The crowd then insists that corporations profits are going into the pockets of the rich like him which he then declares as making his point.

• Locked thread