Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Swan Oat posted:

My dad tells me to do this poo poo every year. Writing a check is too much hassle though, I'd much rather get a refund. Am I an irresponsible red diaper baby for giving the government an INTEREST FREE LOAN?

Also don't you get an extra fine if you don't withhold enough that would make it always worth it to get a refund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Besides, interest rates are poo poo right now. And for many people, they are only get back a couple hundred or maybe a thousand dollars. The interest made from holding on to what you would get from a refund would maybe get you a meal at McDonalds.

You would need to be a top 10% earner with a good deal of investment knowledge to really benefit from holding on to what you owe and cutting a check every April.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Maed posted:

Also don't you get an extra fine if you don't withhold enough that would make it always worth it to get a refund?

Not a tax professional: I think as long as you're within 10% of what you owe, there's no penalty.
I'd recommend you try to plan your taxes in a way that you're either a little bit over or a little bit under. It really is a dumb idea to WAY overpay.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're fun to watch on television, but who the gently caress would actually want to be any of these people? Their lives are loving miserable.

"24" is loving propaganda and dated as hell.

gently caress Jack Bauer, he is the "Storm Saxon" of our world.

As for the other shows? I don't think people are watching them because of strong male protagonists and they reflect some bizarre version of masculinity, but rather because they're really well written.

They certainly don't reflect conservative values and at times they actually call out right wingers and Evangelical Christians on their hypocrisy during it all.

His points seem to contradict themselves. If People were really craving Christian Media as he claims? These shows wouldn't be popular.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Alright not gonna lie I got near retarded levels on all my math tests so it legit took me a good moment of thinking to get that total too. How bout give me 2 and I'll just give you a dime and a penny and we'll call it a day?

Pennies go in the garbage, until I've tossed them all and they're all finally out of circulation. Wouldn't do it in front of my grandpa.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're fun to watch on television, but who the gently caress would actually want to be any of these people? Their lives are loving miserable.

The entire point of near all of them is how you don't want to emulate them and their lives are terrible!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Kos replies to a Breitbart writers rebuttal to yesterdays story about the left absolutely owning the culture war:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/04/16/1292470/-11-reasons-conservatives-are-winning-culture-war-Ha-ha-ha?showAll=yes

The actual replies are mostly duh, but that's because the writers original list of 11 reasons Kos was wrong was hilariously bad, I offer some of them here to save anyone from providing Breitbart with hits:

os replies to a Breitbart writers rebuttal to yesterdays story about the left absolutely owning the culture war:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...-ha?showAll=yes

The actual replies are mostly duh, but that's because the writers original list of 11 reasons Kos was wrong was hilariously bad, I offer some of them here to save anyone from providing Breitbart with hits:

quote:

1. While judges are legalizing gay marriage, Christianity is making a major comeback in the free market of entertainment.

OK. Nobody cares. That's fine and flies in the face of you persecution complex. You guys should be happy.

quote:

4. While Colbert wins David Letterman's spot, Jimmy Fallon figured out he had to remain apolitical if he wanted to remain number one.

So? Even if it's true, who ever turned to Jimmy Fallon for political guidance?

quote:

5. While the rise of the weak, neurotic, man-child metrosexual-nerd dominates one forgettable movie after another, a new Golden Age in television has brought us an assembly line of flawed but masculine anti-heroes -- "real men" protagonists like Jack Bauer, Don Draper, Walter White, Raylan Givens, the cast of The Walking Dead, and even House of Cards.

Ah, yes. Real men like mobsters, corrupt politicians and meth dealers. Murderers and white collar criminals, if you will. Yeah, Breitbart, there were never any "real men" on TV before pussies took over and every character was gay. There's been a real shortage of guys shooting guns at things and people on TV for as long as I can remember. I can hardly turn on the TV and find a real man breaking the law or shooting somebody.

quote:

6. While Miley twerks and MTV baby-mamas, unions and the union mentality are dying.

What does one have to do with the other? Congratulations on dismantling collective bargaining while distracting everyone with Miley Cyrus and Twitter, I guess.

quote:

7. While the left-wing mainstream media figures out how to survive, conservative media is on the upswing.

OK. So are conservatives "winning" or are they "losing" because they're unfairly persecuted by "media" and "Hollywood". These posts sound like he's bragging and whining at the same time.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

BiggerBoat posted:

These posts sound like he's bragging and whining at the same time.

rightwingmedia.txt

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

These posts sound like he's bragging and whining at the same time.

Umberto Eco posted:

When I was a boy I was taught to think of Englishmen as the five-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Italians. Jews are rich and help each other through a secret web of mutual assistance. However, the followers of Ur-Fascism must also be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

That quote will never stop being relevant

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think its only right that this thread should also point out instances where the liberal media is just as lovely as right wing media. To that end, I offer this nothing sandwich from Mother Jones: Is New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez the Next Sarah Palin?; with the story premise that Martinez is: Petty. Vindictive. Weak on policy. And yet she's being hailed as the Republican Party's great new hope. I'm not gonna quote anything from this article because you just have to read it to understand my complaints on the article.

The following is my take on it. Someone within the Martinez administration dumped audio recordings, emails and texts from 2010 on Mother Jones. Mother Jones felt that it had to live up to its liberal bona fides and turn this document dump into a hit piece on Martinez, without regard to whether the documents justified the hype of the headline or story premise. This, in my opinion, is one of the shittiest articles I've ever seen written in any publication for its attempt to overreach and smear a politician with nothing, absolutely nothing. I would go so far as to say that if Martinez were a man, Mother Jones wouldn't have even bothered to try to write this story. This is the kind of article that the GOP can point to as justification for its contempt of the liberal, lame stream media.

edit: here's Mother Jones' response to Matinez's response that points out that Martinez is already fund raising off of their poo poo article

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 16, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You don't have to read articles with question headlines because the answer is always no.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

radical meme posted:

I think its only right that this thread should also point out instances where the liberal media is just as lovely as right wing media. To that end, I offer this nothing sandwich from Mother Jones: Is New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez the Next Sarah Palin?; with the story premise that Martinez is: Petty. Vindictive. Weak on policy. And yet she's being hailed as the Republican Party's great new hope. I'm not gonna quote anything from this article because you just have to read it to understand my complaints on the article.

The following is my take on it. Someone within the Martinez administration dumped audio recordings, emails and texts from 2010 on Mother Jones. Mother Jones felt that it had to live up to its liberal bona fides and turn this document dump into a hit piece on Martinez, without regard to whether the documents justified the hype of the headline or story premise. This, in my opinion, is one of the shittiest articles I've ever seen written in any publication for its attempt to overreach and smear a politician with nothing, absolutely nothing. I would go so far as to say that if Martinez were a man, Mother Jones wouldn't have even bothered to try to write this story. This is the kind of article that the GOP can point to as justification for its contempt of the liberal, lame stream media.

edit: here's Mother Jones' response to Matinez's response that points out that Martinez is already fund raising off of their poo poo article

Reminds me of that smear on Christine O'Donnell. She was a bad politician but it was really lovely and petty when liberal rags started cracking jokes about a relatively tame sexual encounter she had with a guy in college. IIRC guy wanted her to put out, she was awkward and didn't, and he and some publication basically shamed the poo poo out of her for it, cracked vicious jokes at her expensive, etc.

Googled it, and it was Gawker, not loving surprising in the slightest.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What's awesome about Common Core is it's been in place since 2010 and I've only heard widespread bitching about it in the last six months or so, which means some pundit or politician decided it was the new talking point and all of the idiots picked it up and are repeating it when they weren't aware or giving a poo poo for at least 3/4ths of its existence.

I was hearing about this from some right-wing talking point at a class about a year ago, so it's been stirring around in the cesspool for awhile. But yeah, it's been a big thing recently due to the talking heads making a bigger deal out of it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Reminds me of that smear on Christine O'Donnell. She was a bad politician but it was really lovely and petty when liberal rags started cracking jokes about a relatively tame sexual encounter she had with a guy in college. IIRC guy wanted her to put out, she was awkward and didn't, and he and some publication basically shamed the poo poo out of her for it, cracked vicious jokes at her expensive, etc.

If we're talking about Christine "Got 99 problems but being a witch ain't one" O'Donnell, there's no blow too low to land on that huckster.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Cops only like to do their daring, ultra-violent raids on people that aren't really going to end up fighting back.

Chris Dorner would disagree. Though to be fair they did wait until he killed himself to go full-on Waco on his cabin. Maybe.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

rkajdi posted:

I was hearing about this from some right-wing talking point at a class about a year ago, so it's been stirring around in the cesspool for awhile. But yeah, it's been a big thing recently due to the talking heads making a bigger deal out of it.

That still fits with what I said about it being a non issue for 3/4ths of its life, though. It's two months away from being implemented for four years.

And I was more focusing on how apparent it is when people just repeat pundit talking points rather than independently researching things and forming their own opinions.

You can listen to a single day of one conservative pundits show and know exactly what all right wingers will be talking about and the exact talking points they will be using.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So I'm sure you're seeing the Missouri Mayor who knew the Jewish Center shooter who was interviewed and said he agrees with some of his views, which of course is the headline there, but here's a portion of it I wish would get more attention:

quote:

"It's really not much of a surprise that he would do something like that, knowing how much hate was built up in him,"

If this is honestly what you thought about the man, that he was so full of hate you thought he was fully capable of going on a racist shooting spree....shouldn't you have said something? I mean I'm encouraged to go tell a cop if I see someone leave a bag on a bus, plenty of places you go tell you to report "suspicious characters", I would assume "guy I wouldn't surprised one bit to see in headline news as the next mass murderer" crosses that bar too, yeah?

And of course I have to ask what these people would be doing if they lived next to a brown muslim who they all KNEW FOR A FACT hated white people so much they thought he was capable of mass violence?

For now I'll just assume their not paying attention to what they're saying but what the gently caress people

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So I'm sure you're seeing the Missouri Mayor who knew the Jewish Center shooter who was interviewed and said he agrees with some of his views, which of course is the headline there, but here's a portion of it I wish would get more attention:

If this is honestly what you thought about the man, that he was so full of hate you thought he was fully capable of going on a racist shooting spree....shouldn't you have said something? I mean I'm encouraged to go tell a cop if I see someone leave a bag on a bus, plenty of places you go tell you to report "suspicious characters", I would assume "guy I wouldn't surprised one bit to see in headline news as the next mass murderer" crosses that bar too, yeah?

And of course I have to ask what these people would be doing if they lived next to a brown muslim who they all KNEW FOR A FACT hated white people so much they thought he was capable of mass violence?

For now I'll just assume their not paying attention to what they're saying but what the gently caress people

As much as I agree with what your saying, I really don't think there was anything that any law enforcement agency could have done based on anybody's speculation. Our system of government doesn't prosecute or penalize hateful thoughts. The guy was already on the radar of the SPLC and other groups. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where thoughts alone were actionable.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

As much as I agree with what your saying, I really don't think there was anything that any law enforcement agency could have done based on anybody's speculation. Our system of government doesn't prosecute or penalize hateful thoughts. The guy was already on the radar of the SPLC and other groups. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where thoughts alone were actionable.

But the government does penalize hateful thoughts, and thoughts and associations are actionable: if you're the right color or religion. Muslims in NYC were followed, spied upon, and questioned just because they went to mosques or ethnic restaurants. That's not even penalizing hateful thoughts, that's penalizing, or at least placing increased scrutiny upon, one's associations. If this guy were doing everything else exactly the same, but he was a Muslim, there's a good chance something could have been done -- not that this absolutely could have been prevented, but who knows. I don't think Intel is advocating this sort of thing, just acknowledging that this is the sort of country we live in, but certain people get a pass, especially when officials are sympathetic to them, pointing out that this guy's race and probably religion saved him from similar increased scrutiny.

If the guy was a Muslim, the Mayor certainly would have involved other agencies to try and do something, but because he was a white guy the Mayor kind of agreed with, he just threw up his hands and said "welp." If the guy had a foreign-sounding name and posted on "Jihad Daily" instead of stormfront, almost certainly something would have been done.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

kik2dagroin posted:

Totally forgot my most favorite part of Limbaugh's program yesterday

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/15/why_is_it_so_important_what_i_think_of_cbs_political_hire_of_colbert
Calling Limbaugh a prick is something I wish I could do on television every day :allears:

He removed a sentence from the middle of that paragraph which makes the thing about family and church make sense. Not from the beginning and end, so it isn't accidentally lost by exerpting, from the middle, to deliberately make it disjointed.

Remember this one the next time someone talks about Media Matters taking Limbaugh out of context.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sharkie posted:

But the government does penalize hateful thoughts, and thoughts and associations are actionable: if you're the right color or religion. Muslims in NYC were followed, spied upon, and questioned just because they went to mosques or ethnic restaurants. That's not even penalizing hateful thoughts, that's penalizing, or at least placing increased scrutiny upon, one's associations. If this guy were doing everything else exactly the same, but he was a Muslim, there's a good chance something could have been done -- not that this absolutely could have been prevented, but who knows. I don't think Intel is advocating this sort of thing, just acknowledging that this is the sort of country we live in, but certain people get a pass, especially when officials are sympathetic to them, pointing out that this guy's race and probably religion saved him from similar increased scrutiny.

If the guy was a Muslim, the Mayor certainly would have involved other agencies to try and do something, but because he was a white guy the Mayor kind of agreed with, he just threw up his hands and said "welp." If the guy had a foreign-sounding name and posted on "Jihad Daily" instead of stormfront, almost certainly something would have been done.

If you follow this type of news, almost every terrorist arrested in recent years has been an some doofus who was contacted by undercover law enforcement that helped them plan a fake terrorist attack. So I agree,the government certainly has a (somewhat shady) response to suspected terrorists that isn't quite criminalizing thought, but they don't like to use it on right wing probable terrorists for whatever reason. Probably because they know the right wing media would eat that poo poo up and it would cause a scandal similar to the IRS one, with some performances by the Darrell Issa Kabuki Theatre Troupe.

Edit: vvv Why is he dressed as the Hamburgler?

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 17, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Guys. Guys.

It's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0Ka9vBE64

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
That is great news.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Jagchosis posted:

Edit: vvv Why is he dressed as the Hamburgler?
My first thought was "why is his face hot pink", and assumed RWW did that deliberately to make him look bad in the preview still, but it's actually that color in the video.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

He'll get got eventally, don't worry. Too many goons getting sad that the idiots 'won' or whatever. Personally I prefer when the cops don't start firefights over trivial matters. When all of his idiot buddies go home he'll get a warrant served.

Yeah the feds are probably relying on their ability to use the whole weight of the legal system against him, plus the microscopic attention span of the average American and the media running out. They'll wait until everyone stops paying attention and then crush him with the power of government.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Funny how righties need the smelling salts when feds exert the daintiest of authority but couldn't care less if a homeless guy is killed in a hail of police bullets for not lying on the ground quickly enough.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That video makes it seem lik Beck thinks a race war is imminent and white people will be wiped out.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

That video makes it seem lik Beck thinks a race war is imminent and white people will be wiped out.

This is news to you?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

If we're talking about Christine "Got 99 problems but being a witch ain't one" O'Donnell, there's no blow too low to land on that huckster.

Let's all get together and call Allen West friend of the family, that ought to get it done. There's no blow too low to land on that huckster.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SedanChair posted:

Let's all get together and call Allen West friend of the family, that ought to get it done. There's no blow too low to land on that huckster.

I would laugh at this.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

One can only hope.

SedanChair posted:

If I thought that calling Allen West a friend of the family would only hurt Allen West, then I might agree with this unironically.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Beck is a Mormon. His God withdrew salvation for five hundred years and his Jesus was okay watching all of the people fast and flagellate and beg for something that they could never have anyway. The extermination of blacks is one of the tamer aspects of his monstrous faith.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

This thread likes to use that loving word at every single opportunity, it's ridiculous. Every opportunity they get to use it or to use the Lee Atwater quote they loving jump on. Christ.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Beamed posted:

This thread likes to use that loving word at every single opportunity, it's ridiculous. Every opportunity they get to use it or to use the Lee Atwater quote they loving jump on. Christ.

In defense of the Lee Atwater quote (not the flippant use of the N-word), it really does explain almost everything the GOP says and publicly does perfectly (especially if you play Madlibs and put in whatever group the GOP is trying to gently caress over today and the accompanying bullshit policy. E.g., "religious liberty" supplanting previous use of homophobic and/or misogynistic slurs) and while most people here have seen it, the vast majority of people outside leftwing circles are not aware of the true strategy and purpose of the Republican Party.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Was there anything about the dissolving of that police department that were monitoring Muslims in New York? I heard about it yesterday on the Beeb, but was kinda surprised to not see anything about it here.

Also, at the risk of sounding holier-than-thou; slurs against O'Donnell and West should be loving stamped on. I have nothing against them being described as loving nutters with no grasp of what reality is and war criminals who should be sent to the Hague in the case of the latter, but going into insults into what a person is as opposed to who they are and what they say is impolitic at best.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mocking Christine O'Donnell for believing she dabbled in witchcraft is fine because it reflects poorly on her judgment and intelligence, qualities which should be vital to holding public office. Calling someone an idiot should not be taboo.

Comparing it to using a racial slur is ridiculous and offensive.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

"Not loving surprising", hmmmm. I remember nothing about that. It frankly seems like the kind of thing only a right wing concern troll would remember. Hmmmmm.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

beatlegs posted:

"Not loving surprising", hmmmm. I remember nothing about that. It frankly seems like the kind of thing only a right wing concern troll would remember. Hmmmmm.

Unless I'm missing something here I'm not sure what your point is? I remember when a few online outfits crowing about the fact that Christine O'Donnell had admitted to having sex before and regretting it with this weird misogynistic undertone. I felt it was a stupid thing to bring up and that it was even stupider to take the tack of 'hey guys she was actually a slut all along', especially when all the was necessary was to point to the nutbar things she was saying and doing at the time.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
IIRC the focus on her sex life had more to do with the fact she initially made a name for herself as an anti-masturbation crusader back in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I thought the implication was that she had sex on a pagan altar. That's probably a no no to the moral majority. It was during a freaky weird interview too, and the resulting "I'm not a witch" adds are unique enough to be noteworthy. US politics have been firmly in the stranger-than-fiction territory for almost 13 years now.