Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DupaDupa posted:

So in regards to the chat about Andre Williams earlier, how is he as a blocker? I can't find any tape on YouTube of him being used in pass protection at all.

I haven't even ever seen him catch a pass. Come to think of it I'm not sure if I've ever even seen him in a passing down.

Hoooooly poo poo I just remembered why he sounds so familiar. That guy played on my cousins football team and was born in the same town my entire family lives in.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Doltos posted:

I haven't even ever seen him catch a pass. Come to think of it I'm not sure if I've ever even seen him in a passing down.

Hoooooly poo poo I just remembered why he sounds so familiar. That guy played on my cousins football team and was born in the same town my entire family lives in.

Nevermind, I found exactly one play in which Andre Williams pass blocked. Williams did fine but the QB threw the ball 5 feet over the receiver. But hoooooly poo poo Williams has some real fumbitis.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Williams only caught like 3 passes last year. Its not that he can't catch or passblock, its that his offense never asked him to do so. Will be interesting to see how he does at it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would be careful about calling AJ McCarron a game manager. Geno Smith had a 42:6 TD:INT ratio in his senior year but he still threw 21 interceptions in his rookie season. Some context is necessary.. is McCarron managing the game or is Alabama managing the game for him? Because that's an important distinction. The former implies that McCarron is protecting the football, throwing the ball away, living for another down, throwing at the feet of a RB if a screen is blown up, etc. The latter means the offense is tailored to mask McCarron's deficiencies and make his life easier.

From what I've watched of AJ's career, which is plenty as CBS loved to show Bama games, Nick Saban tried to take as much pressure off of AJ as possible. Alabama was 91st in the country in pass attempts. Yeldon tore up every defense, they could lean on it. Against LSU they ran for 193 yards, and limited AJ to only 20 pass attempts, and he had a solid game as a result. But look at the Oklahoma game. Yeldon was held under 100 yards, they gained only 3.7 yards per carry, and McCarron turned the ball over 3 times and was sacked 7 times.

I'll take a closer look at that game when I have time.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 16, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Game manager has negative connotations attached to it when in all reality it's kind of a good thing. Teddy Bridgewater is a game manager.

McCarron's career was defined by the team game managing for him. You never saw a year where McCarron was without a bunch of huge RBs. Saban subscribes to the Coughlin school of thought that RBs are meant for tiring opponents out, not winning games. Bama would just run opposing defenses ragged and McCarron would usually benefit from this later on in games when Bama eventually pulled ahead.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
At this point I think "game manager" is synonymous with "vaguely lovely" though

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

You're probably as good as Ryan Lindley.

So no.

Ryan Lindley owns

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, I'm saying I'm not sure that McCarron IS a game manager, I think that it's a mistake that gets made about Alabama QBs because the team is built on good defense and nonstop running. I think McCarron will actually be a more aggressive quarterback in the NFL, but the question will be whether he can, with his skillset.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well, I'm saying I'm not sure that McCarron IS a game manager, I think that it's a mistake that gets made about Alabama QBs because the team is built on good defense and nonstop running. I think McCarron will actually be a more aggressive quarterback in the NFL, but the question will be whether he can, with his skillset.

I'm agreeing, I don't think he's a game manager either. The Bama team was set up to manage him, as they are with all of Saban's QBs. He just doesn't care about the position much and knows that size and speed win in the SEC. Those 18-24 year olds get tired real quick when they go up against Yeldon/Richardson/Ingram/Lacy, not to mention how big Bama's olines always are.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you're gonna draft anyone from Alabama's offense always go with the linemen because they'll at least be solid road graders. These guys fuckin maul every year.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

If you're gonna draft anyone from Alabama's offense always go with the linemen because they'll at least be solid road graders. These guys fuckin maul every year.

And Julio Jones.

Here's hoping Cyrus knee heals and was what was responsible for his poor game against Oklahoma.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I think McCarron will actually be a more aggressive quarterback in the NFL, but the question will be whether he can, with his skillset.

That's an interesting way to look at it; maybe McCarron will want to let loose once he's in a new offense. The question is, as you say, whether he has the arm for it. Or if he can handle not having pristine pockets to throw from, either.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Grozz Nuy posted:

They kept 4 RBs on roster last year, though. If James is really gone then it wouldn't be that surprising to see them bring another guy as insurance in case Gore finally gets hit by a terminal case of the old/Lattimore's knee is still hosed.

I keep waiting for this and it never loving happens.

And then you take James Carpenter in the first.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Schwack posted:

I imagine that, thousands of years from now, some primitive post-society hunter is going through some dark, snowy woods. He pauses at the sound of twigs snapping, turns out, and gets fuckin' trucked by Frank Gore.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

PrinceRandom posted:

And Julio Jones.

Here's hoping Cyrus knee heals and was what was responsible for his poor game against Oklahoma.

Amari Cooper should be pretty good

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Groucho Marxist posted:

Amari Cooper should be pretty good

Lol'ing at him and Teddy being on the same high school team.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

I imagine that, thousands of years from now, some primitive post-society hunter is going through some dark, snowy woods. He pauses at the sound of twigs snapping, turns out, and gets fuckin' trucked by Frank Gore.

In a primitive post-society Frank Gore retaining his knowledge of the 20th century would still only be the 5th or 6th smartest dude there.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
I propose DWD(down with Daltos) gangtag.

To improve post quality I will attempt to write a somewhat in-depth thing on why Derek Carr is a piece of poo poo and sucks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I think we all know Tyler Tettleton will be the steal of this draft if he can be lured out of his Hamilton Tiger Cats deal.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

bhsman posted:

I thought the same about Steven "8 consecutive 1000 yard seasons while dragging 52 men" Jackson, and then the Falcons happened.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MonsterWalk posted:

I propose DWD(down with Daltos) gangtag.

To improve post quality I will attempt to write a somewhat in-depth thing on why Derek Carr is a piece of poo poo and sucks.

There's already a Daltos gangtag, it's in the custom title below my name.

I also get misty eyed whenever someone calls me by my real forum name instead of the one SBA changed it to.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rap posted:

The problem I have with that is that i'm way more interested in where players will get drafted than what their career prospects are. like it doesn't matter to me what anybody's personal "grade" on a player is, mcshay or kiper or whoever, because what actually matters more is where they're going to be picked. also i loving love jokes

This. Also I just don't care enough to really dig into that poo poo. I usually wait til after the draft before I start loading up on film, because I mostly couldn't give a poo poo about the guard the Bears draft in the 3rd.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's probably the sane way to do it. At this point I'm in love with enough prospects that no matter who is taken the Ravens draft will feel like a let down. On plus size cheering on old prospects I liked can make games I have no rooting interest in a little more enjoyable. God speed Keenan Allen.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Groucho Marxist posted:

AJ and his jetski scrambled brains will be bad in the NFL because I don't think I've never seen him make any NFL level throws to his super talented offense that gives him everything in the world to work with. I saw this while actually watching college football and not youtube highlights. RoDo emptyquote this

Look, ol AJ is a winner. He was a run and gunner in high school, just like Brett Favre, but Coach told him to reign it in and be a team player, just like the Bear would have wanted. And he did because he's a Winner, and by god he's going to be successful at any level just you see. Roll tide and god bless

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm concerned that Clowney wouldn't be a quality poster in S.A.'s The. Football. Funhouse. He took so many plays off last year, are you telling me he's gonna keep his game up in the offseason when drafting in the goon mock or that he's gonna elaborate on his judgements in the draft thread? I don't buy it. I just anticipate a few big posts in the game day threads, and if that's all you want out of your #1 overall, then OK I guess.

Chilichimp posted:

I want to see a series of parody Jon Gruden breakdowns. It would probably suck without his authentic Ohioan drawl.

Yo.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 17, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dallas team officials, including QB coach Wade Wilson, were in Athens, Ga. Wednesday to take in Georgia's pro day workout.

Jerry Jones gonna replace Tony Romo with Aaron Murray :getin:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea who the Bengals are gonna draft to challenge Dalton. All the talk's been on Murray, but teams don't generally talk about players they're actually gonna draft.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rap posted:

At this point I think "game manager" is synonymous with "vaguely lovely" though

That's always been the connotation; no one ever called Chad Pennington a game manager even when he was screening his way into our hearts 5 yards at a time

If someone wants to say "game manager but good" they use adjectives like "field general" "steady" "reliable" "consistent" "mistake-free" and other euphemisms that justify them not flinging the ball down the field

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341796/article/2012-nfl-draft-doover-redskins-take-wilson-not-rgiii

2012 Draft do-over

quote:

4. Minnesota Vikings
Pick: Matt Kalil
Do-over: Josh Gordon
Comment: Gordon has quickly become one of the premier pass catchers in the NFL. He led the league with 1,646 receiving yards in 2013, while averaging a ridiculous 18.9 yards per catch.

lol he wasn't even in this draft he was a supplemental draft player

how does this person get to write for the NFL's official website?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I have no idea who the Bengals are gonna draft to challenge Dalton. All the talk's been on Murray, but teams don't generally talk about players they're actually gonna draft.

Tanier put out an article about this today where he suggests Mettenberger: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/72149298/nfl-draft-cincinnati-bengals-zach-mettenberger-first-round-qb

I disagree with him but it kind of highlights the lovely situation the Bengals are in. One thing I do think for sure (that I think Tanier is wrong about) is that the Bengals will absolutely take a falling Manziel or Bridgewater at 24 and may even consider a small trade up, perhaps to leapfrog Arizona.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ehud posted:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341796/article/2012-nfl-draft-doover-redskins-take-wilson-not-rgiii

2012 Draft do-over

Russell Wilson with the #2 pick. He just wins

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Alfred loving Morris over Ryan Tannehill for Miami? Really?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Alfred loving Morris over Ryan Tannehill for Miami? Really?

Lol. You almost tricked me into clicking the link.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ehud posted:

2012 Draft do-over

That's a stupid loving concept for a ... oh wait low effort article writing.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Rams do-over pick: Fletcher Cox.

I'd stick with Brockers.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Schwack posted:

If he reaches 1000 yards rushing again this upcoming year he'll have done it for 10 consecutive seasons, which is pretty absurd when you consider the horrific lack of supporting talent on offense for the Niners in his first half dozen years in the league. I love that stupid, stupid man.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Well he's better than Peyton, that's settled.

e: lol wow that fuckin writeup for Wilson.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Ehud posted:

2012 Draft do-over

Nick Foles on the Bills feels so right.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

He's not even the second best qb in that draft as of right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Why are you guys so down on Wilson? If he had a slightly better oline and someone to throw to he's be putting up +30TDs.

Speaking of which, are the hawks gonna draft a WR?

• Locked thread